Options

Worst support act you've seen?

veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
edited March 2013 in Other Music
I was talking to someone at work today about this subject and remembered the Canadian band Killer Dwarfs who I endured supporting Iron Maiden in 1988 and thought they must be the worst band I've ever seen. But then I remembered Dutch legends Zinatra supporting David Lee Roth the same year. Not only were the band completely shit but the singer stepped on his mike lead twice pulling it out of his hand mid song and one of the guitarists threw his guitar around his neck taking out two mike stands in the process. The singer also fell off a monitor ruining his rock god pose and the drummer did that annoying twirly thing with his sticks like Tommy Lee but unfortunately failed to keep hold of them! The singer had the final indignity when an almost full plastic pint of lager hit him in the face. Everything about this band was wrong.... :roll: :D

If you think you've seen worse.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5LBDNbvZ44
Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,975
    I have a few but luckily i don't remember the names :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Modern Day Zero
    Sonic Youth
    Tomahawk

I've never even seen one that made me wanna track down their music.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    DewieCox wrote:
    Modern Day Zero
    Sonic Youth
    Tomahawk

Sonic Youth???
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Disturbed opening for Stone Temple Pilots....my buddy and I are still positive that they were lip-synching and their music was canned.

After the Fire opening for Van Halen....I believe this was the Diver Down tour.....bloody awful

Took an ex-girlfriend to see the country group, Alabama....Alan Jackson was the opener...if I could have reached him that night, I would have saved the world from his continued awfulness.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Miracle Fortress opening for Liam Finn. The worst thing I have ever seen. Thankfully, Liam Finn put on an AMAZING show!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I took my wife to see The Corrs and some Irish guy was the support. F@%*in' dreadful but he loved himself. I wanted to put him out of our misery.
  • Options
    I honestly don't know the name of the band, but whoever opened for Dead Weather on their most recent small club tour....yeah they were terrible.

Also, 30 Seconds to Mars. Awful band; don't know why the hell they were opening for Audioslave. About 45 mins of my life I wish I could have back. I remember Jared Leto running through the crowd like a dbag hoping to wake up the few people who were watching. We all just stood there and looked at him like he was a fuckin idiot.
  • Options
    Little Fish supporting AIC were very hard to bear after 3 shows.

Fleet Foxes bored me to death supporting Neil Young at last years hard rock calling.

The worst has to be - M - at Arras, after a 6 hour wait for our delayed train and to walk in to the square to that was not good....

However i generally enjoy the support, Ben Harper supporting Pearl Jam by far the best and I'm looking forward to Caspian and Butterfly Explosion supporting God is an Astronaut!
    2009 - Shephards Bush, Manchester, London
    2010 - Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 - Manchester 1+2, Berlin 1+2, Stockholm, Oslo
    2014 - Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Chairlift opening for The Killers.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    The Hunter Gracchus - opened for Grinderman in London recently.
  • Options
    Passion Pit opening for Muse........I am still not sure if it qualifies as music!!!!!

See for your self, but they almost ruined Muse for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNCQWkVtiZ0
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009 / Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009 / Sprint Center - May 03, 2010
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010 / Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Benzor wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Modern Day Zero
    Sonic Youth
    Tomahawk

Sonic Youth???

i agree....sonic youth may be the worst opener I've seen. it was just noise for 45 minutes
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Ben Harper sucked balls before PJ at Hyde Park IMHO. He's not the worst but one of the most boring.
  • Options
    Atari Teenage Riot opening for Rage Against the Machine and Wu-Tang Clan in 1997. I'm not one to say "that ain't music," but it was just this abrasive wall of screaming and fuzzy distorted chaos. Brutal.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    nuffingman wrote:
    Ben Harper sucked balls before PJ at Hyde Park IMHO. He's not the worst but one of the most boring.

i agree. I honestly think Ben Harpers fanbase would be about 6 people if it wasnt for the PJ seal of approval... if members of PJ told their 'fans' that they liked Nigerian trumpeter Kino Von Basske his sales would probably increase by some 179% so that people on here could 'like' the same things as Ed
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited October 2010
    Wasn't a fan of Deerhunter opening up for Spoon at Radio City Music Hall. They played for WAY too long and everything was way too drawn out. Found their performance a little bit pretentious. The whole thing was disappointing especially because I'm a fan of their studio work! Just didn't go over well with me live.

Also when I saw La Roux at Terminal 5, some dude (or girl?) named Atarah Valentine opened. It was the epitome of atrocious.
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Somebody out there has got to remember "Melt-Banana" open for Tool in 07. Japansese Noise Rock is what they call it. Pure awfulness.
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ ... ORM=LKVR11
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Tomahawk opening for TOOL were horrible but when I saw Sonic Youth opening for PJ, they made my ears hurt.
  • Options
    I saw Kraftwerk open for Radiohead in Rio last year. it was easily the longest hour + of my life.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Hands down the worst I have had to endure was Wild Colonials back in the mid 90's when they opened for Toad the Wet Sprocket. Horrible...at least I was early enough to get in the front row for Toad.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    A band called Big Business opened up for Tool in 2009 and they were god awful. I've never seen an opening band that sucked as much as them.

I'm starting to see a trend with Tools opening acts :lol:
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

i agree. I honestly think Ben Harpers fanbase would be about 6 people if it wasnt for the PJ seal of approval... if members of PJ told their 'fans' that they liked Nigerian trumpeter Kino Von Basske his sales would probably increase by some 179% so that people on here could 'like' the same things as Ed

so agree...hes not bad just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Benzor wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Modern Day Zero
    Sonic Youth
    Tomahawk

Sonic Youth???

I saw Sonic Youth open for PJ. Personally, I didn't care for them.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    smilie_girl_111.gif I'm gonna get spanked here but Sleater Kinney
    sorry
  • Options
    Gob Roberts for PJ Boston 2004
    -awful-
    Fenway 1 & 2 2016
    MSG 1 & 2 2016
    Central Park 2015
    Barclays 2, Seattle 2013
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Boston 1 & 2 2006
    Boston 1 2004
    Augusta 1996
  • Options
    OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 920
    I recall Idelwild....I just could not listen to them..
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Hmmmm....so many bad acts, but can only choose 1....

Circa Survive opening for Muse a while back. I'd rather jab a pencil in my eye then see/hear them again.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I'm looking forward to Caspian and Butterfly Explosion supporting God is an Astronaut!

Caspian is going to be a treat!!

I'd have to say the Centimeters opening for the Dresden Dolls a few years back.
    You should probably watch this clip :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70Hc4kuirE
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    The The <
    Seriously, that's there name, opened for Depeche Mode in 93, they didn't even turn off the lights for them, it was sad and akward!!! My freind and i clapped really loud when they finished, we just felt so bad for them.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    pandora wrote:
    smilie_girl_111.gif I'm gonna get spanked here but Sleater Kinney
    sorry

:::Spanks Pandora::: could care less about Sleater Kinney, but any chance to spank you :D