Options

~ Ask Jeff Ament about Tone here ~

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    Jeff,

Being in a successful band like Pearl Jam obviously gives you a fair amount of freedom creatively and financially to embark on a project like Tone. Do you think this record would have come to pass in its current form had you not achieved musical success within the band?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Can you tell us about the obvious change in guitar tone around and after the Vitalogy record?

This issues has never been addressed and serves as one of the great mysteries of the band. I wouldn't ask this question here, but it has never been addressed.
  • Options
    GreaserGreaser Posts: 6
    are there going to be any solo shows to promote the album? if so would an in-store be something you'd be interested? Lou's would love to have ya.
  • Options
    PRLJAMPRLJAM Posts: 8
    Hey, Jeff!!!!

How do you decide whether or not to use the material for Pearl Jam records to use it as you for your solo endeavors.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Timbaland knows the way to the top o the charts,
    maybe if you work with him you could perfect the art!

Any opinions on the Chris Cornell "experiment"?, could you or would you ever go off the deep end and record something 180 degrees from Pearl Jam? Do you feel that working with a big name pop producer is "selling out"?
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    PRLJAMPRLJAM Posts: 8
    HEY, JEFF!!!

You must have to make some VERY tough decisions when considering how to divvy up the material, keeping some for Pearl Jam and some for your solo projects... Do you ever wish something you used for Pearl Jam you had kept for your own solo endeavor so that it would have had a different flavor?

Must also take the opportunity to thank you for so many fantastic, meaningful, and musical years. Thank you, Jeff!!!

Best,
    Jennifer
  • Options
    I wanted to know how many different bass guitars did you use to record this album and also what other instruments you play on this album(do you sing on this album)? your friend....d.c.1984!!!
  • Options
    JoostoneJoostone Posts: 231
    -What are you're hopes for this record?

-I'm confused, this is something else than the anticipated project with Pinnick and Stuverrud right?

-Is this something you always (starting 12 years ago) wanted to do, or did it slowly evolved into a solo-project. Like: hey, I have 12 great songs that didn't fit the pearl jam catalog or the upcoming pinnick project. Let's sing them myself and release a solo record!

thanks, joost
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • Options
    What was the hardest part about doing the solo album, what was the easiest, and what was most surprising?
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    what happened to the hats? :)
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    ramborambo Posts: 170
    Did you draw on the other members of Pearl Jam for advice or inspiration when making or recording this album?? Also when will Pearl Jam be Comeing back to Newfoundland?????

Thanks Jeff!!!!
    st. john's newfoundland, sept 24/2005
    st. john's newfoundland, sept. 25/2005
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    alot of your writing credits for pearl jam and especially with three fish has a heavily eastern inspired feel to it (that i love)... it really balances out eds punk background and mikes hard rock... how much of that can we look forward to on your solo album and what in your background contributes to your interest in it?

also, tell barry to keep up the good work :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Abner11Abner11 Posts: 67
    Jeff...

Did you approach writing the lyrics for this album differently because they were for your voice rather than for Eddie's or Robbi Robb's, or was there no real difference in the process involved?

Thanks
    10/96 Hartford, 9/98 Hartford, 7/03 Mansfield I, 9/04 Boston I, 5/06 Boston I (Best crowd to date)
  • Options
    If you had to count the total amount of gear (just bass equipment), how many basses, amps, effects, mics, pickups,and pics (if applicable) did you use on your new record? And if so, what would be your favorite combination of the equipment? Could it be done live exactly as it was recorded?
    Live Life Exactly How You Picture It.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    UM....I can't even comprehend this....if I tried to ask him a question I'd throw up...like Stan on South Park when he talks to Wendy.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    jeff.

years ago robbi robb said 'I like it when jeff sings'.

well, I like it when jeff sings too, that ramone's cover of yours is my favourite 45, question is - do YOU like it when jeff sings?

(if you don't sing on this album then i'll presume that the answer is no.)

j.

ps. thanks for the mixtape. it's still good.

pps. answer dunkman's question.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    "What state of mind is the best for creating that unique sound? A depressing, intoxicated, optimistic, or even random feeling of creativity? What are you thinking or doing at the time a sound catches your ear as something to pursue?"

THANK YOU AND KEEP UP THE AMAZING SOUND!

-TONY CLIFTON
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.”
    -Mark Twain
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    Heya Jeff, glad you are releasing a solo album. If you are going to tour will you come to the UK too? We totally missed out when Stone brought out Bayleaf.
    Also what happened to Montanna? Is that part of your solo album or is that still giong to be released??
    THANKS!!
  • Options
    AmadeusDAmadeusD Posts: 44
    Jeff,
    Its good to hear you finally doing something a bit pronouced outside of Pearl Jam. Could you tell us what differences you are aiming for between this and Pearl Jam...What are you intending to express, or experiment with that you either felt you couldn't with Pearl Jam, or are just going out on a whim for..??
    Won't you come see me, Queen Jane....

Leaving the pillow alone tonight
    And I can see for miles
    Speak father with all your might
    Drive in one last nail
    I’d walk right into your hands
    From the end of the earth
    I’d make one final stand
    If you could see what I’m worth
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

Nothing As It Seems is one of my favourite song, a masterpiece in my opinion.
    Will I find similar atmospheres in "Tone"?

p.s. I really hope there's nothing like Sweet Lew instead....please forgive me, just a joke!! ;-)

p.p.s. If there will be a solo tour, please don't forget Italy!!

Love,
    Irene
    This is how I feel....

If there was a reason, it was you
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I'd ask a question but everyone took all the good ones. So Hi Jeff, your awesome!
    Serena. :)
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    UM....I can't even comprehend this....if I tried to ask him a question I'd throw up...like Stan on South Park when he talks to Wendy.
    Hi jeff
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Greetings brother!

first let me start by saying thank you for the mini east coast tour this summer! you guys brought joy to a very trying summer(family health issues) and it really helped me stay positive.

And now my question is : Ed seems to "lord" over the studio when PJ makes an album (which is fine with me :)) how smoothly did things go being in total control of the creative process without his significant input?(seeing it has been almost 2 decades since that has happened)

i wish you the best of luck on your solo venture and look forward to hearing it when it's released.

thank you

Erik-
  • Options
    - As you know, in this decade, one of the most focused themes of the music world is piracy. What do you think about it? Are you concerned that there are people downloading your work for free or you just don't care about such things and just want your music to be listened by everyone, even those who don't pay for it?

or

- Record finished. Are you fulfilled by your work, i mean, does the "final product" match with your primary expectations?

or

- I'm from Portugal, so, I'd like to know if our landscapes had, somehow, inspired you. If not, did some country specially inspired you, you know, the mix of grey and green tones of some European cities, or the crashing waves of some Australian beach, for example..?

or

- One album and 5 senses. If you had to describe the mood of your album using the 5 senses, how would it be? Which smells, sounds, shapes and tastes come to your mind?

Well, I'm Portuguese, I'm sorry if my english is not 100% correct. And thanks for this great opportunity, really.
  • Options
    Hello Jeff,

how would you describe your style of Bassplaying on your record "Tone"?
    Is it as smooth as it often is in Pearl Jam Songs or are there elements of a more funky style?
    Have you got a favourite scale?

Bässte Grüße,

Paul from Germany
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    When will we hear Otherside live?! What an amazing song
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    Do you ever want to hit McCready when he invades your stage space???

Having dominated a solo project, will you now demand to sing Indifference at every PJ show??
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    What's it like to dress in the same band with Stone?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Will we hear any metal on this record? I've always heard you have a love for Slayer and other metal band.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,483
    Matt Cameron said that Eddie Vedder is really good at fitting lyrics to a specific piece of music. Is this the part of songwriting that you find most challenging? If not, what do you find most challenging?