~ Ask Jeff Ament about Tone here ~

Comments

• Options
    hard_sunhard_sun Posts: 382
    hey Jeff
    i don't want to philosophise, so...
    would You be so kind and send me your signed cd? :D:D:D:D:D

thanx in advance
    ...the north is to south what the clock is to time...
    419 352
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Why, after all these years, a solo album? :)
  • Options
    hard_sun wrote:
    hey Jeff
    i don't want to philosophise, so...
    would You be so kind and send me your signed cd? :D:D:D

thanx in advance

oh, and one for me too!!:D
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Jeff, do you fear the "YELLOW SIGN GIRL" that shows up pretty damn close to the stage at about 80% of Pearl Jam shows?
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    PJPixie wrote:
    Jeff, do you fear the "YELLOW SIGN GIRL" that shows up pretty damn close to the stage at about 80% of Pearl Jam shows?

BTW, that girl is NOT me, but know in your heart she is harmless and maybe sometime you should just walk over and personally hand her one of your pics :D
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,059
    while making the solo record, how many days did you come onto the Message Pit to see what we were talking about?
  • Options
    on your cover bio, it says that the songs were written over the course of 12 years. What made this year the year to put it out?

did you record 1 or so a year until it was what you wanted- or all at once?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,087
    Will you be playing a gig or 2 close to the East Coast of Canada to support the album? Pretty please! :)
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    jeff-how long have you been secretly thinking about doing a solo album?...~

(sorry..i'm a dork.)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Skateboarding being one of your lifetime loves, requires a ton of skill and practice. When you are out riding a park or series of bowls, do you ever find yourself laying down bass lines that match the intensity and flow of great rides or parks?

I havent seen too many world class parks, but I think that Denver and Park City could really supply a soundtrack.

Speaking of soundtracks, could you lay one down that would represent the changing scenery of a roadtrip between Havre, or Missoula all the way down to my house in southwestern Wyoming? You can just bring me a copy. I'll have beers on ice when you get here.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Is there anything on the record that relates to, or was inspired by, Missoula?
    Hold On
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    Jeff, now that Ed, Stone, Mike and Matt have all sung (sang?) or shared lead vocals in concert at least once, can we expect you to follow suit? Please? Any song, any city. Even a duet with Boom. As long as there's an official boot, it'd make a lot of us very happy. Thanks.

or
    Will it be released on vinyl?

or
    Will there be a solo tour?
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    -After all these years of releasing everything under the group's name, how hard was it to put yourself out there alone?

-What is the weirdest/coolest place you have ever written a song, lyric, or riff?

-If "Tone" was a basketball player, what position would it play or even better what NBA player would it be?

-Other PJ members have released solo projects. Have they or their experiences encouraged or influenced you towards releasing "Tone"?
    Brian
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,948
    right on jeff, this is such great news.....dont really have a question, just want to hear the material!!!

excited.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Jeff,

Would you say that Tone is a clearer, more personal, portrait of yourself as an artist and your influences than music you have created as part of bands? Considering it may be hard to love and like all the music you have produced with Pearl Jam and other side projects when individual musicians in a band might bring influences to the music (even songs written entirely by yourself) that you may not be the biggest fan of.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    It would be easier and more logical ask questions about the album AFTER listening it, am I right?
    If I ask - what kind of music and influences will be on Your record... just better -wait, buy and listen - maybe U will find out:)

So my question are:
    1. Will be Your solo album available in Europe?
    2. And one more - why do You do this? Because You want to have your OWN album, just to feel that it was Your only work, without PJ's mambers. Or maybe - this will be so different music than Pearl Jam that was impossible to do it together?
    3. Do you think Your album expresses Youself the most? This is how You want to be seen? Or maybe it's only a trial?

BTW. It's a very good news:)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    "Climbing on a mountain
    Floating out on the sea
    Far from lights of a city
    The elements they speak to me..."

1/2 full is one of my favorite PJ tunes.. this being one of the songs you co-wrote, and remembering an article when the self titled album was about to be released, you made a comment that your favorite songs had to do with nature and our relationship with our environment... I am hoping to hear songs with this theme on "Tone".... I can relate to the clarity of thought, emotion, inspiration, and perspective that "climbing on a mountain" and "floating out on the sea" provide, to what extent do these experiences have on your solo work? oh, and on a side note, thanks for all the work you did to get Tester elected, with such open endorsement of a political leader comes a certain amount of responsibility, are you proud of the work he has done so far?
  • Options
    melva02melva02 Posts: 298
    I've seen you say in interviews that you wanted certain Pearl Jam songs to sound more like the Buzzcocks or other specific bands. Is this just a way to convey the idea of a song to your bandmates, or do you think about these influences during the writing process of your solo stuff too?

Can't wait to hear it. Thanks!

Melissa
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Do you have a favorite song from the album, one that stands out to you?

If so, which one and why?
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,860
    when are we going to see you wearing the bad a$$ hats you made famous back in the 90's
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    How did the recording process for the record play out for you? It seems like Eddie plays the "leader" role in the band. What was it like being at the helm of the project and knowing that the output was completely in your hands?
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried? ;)
  • Options
    I really appreciate the simplicity and pointedness of the cover art, I assume you did it yourself? From reading/hearing interviews and such over the years, I peg you as an intellectual guy who enjoys extracting several meanings from symbolic things like album artwork or titles. I always relate the Icarus myth to the seemingly downward trend that civilization is increasingly experiencing, the destruction of the natural world, "progress", etc. What are some of the reasons that YOU chose this particular image? And to what extent does it relate to some of the themes on the album (assuming some or most of the songs have lyrics) and/or the album's name?

Thanks!
    -Max
    Grand Rapids 10/3/04, Kitchener 9/11/05, Grand Rapids 5/19/06, Detroit 5/22/06

"Who set the standard, born to be rich--Paris Hilton--Such fine example, skinny little bitch" -Ed, 5/19/06

www.myspace.com/radiomessiah
  • Options
    Where did you get the inspiration for writing your new songs?

What is your song writing process?
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jeff,

Knowing that you were at the heart of fighting Ticketmaster for more affordable ticket prices years ago, if you were to promote your solo album by touring, what would you ideally charge your fans to come see you? Granted we would probably be willing to pay a lot, but what would your ideal ticket price today be?

Looking forward to hearing your new creation!
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Looking forward to your album, Jeff!

Will you be able to find time to tour the album in between sessions for the new PJ album? And if so, can you come to Victoria, BC? Nothing but nature here and NO ticketmaster!! If you're up for a mountain bike spin, my husband can tell you where all the great trails are...you might be get inspired for more great tunes....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I read that you have compiled these songs over a 12 year period. Obviously you have seen and experienced a lot of changes in that time. Is that reflected in your songs?
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    from a fellow punk lover what kind of influences can we hear in your music?

bonus question: when do we get to see those great legs in a kilt?
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    I'm sure the guys in the band have heard your new album. What was the reaction, and did they like it?
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,017
    Will TONE be released on vinyl as well as CD?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1