Options

~ Ask Jeff Ament about Tone here ~

Comments

• Options
    On the back of a cartoon coaster I drew a map of Canada with your face sketched on it twice
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Jeff, for how long were the songs on the album brewing in your head? Is this the work of a few years or the culmination of your entire career?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Jeff, has this solo project carried a constant theme through the 12 year process, or did it evolve as you yourself evolved in the last 12 years?
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    With Metallica already announcing that their new album has "The Unforgiven III" on it, will we be seeing "Sweet Lew II: The Rebound" anytime soon?

:D
  • Options
    Why has Pilate faded into the ether? Will it ever return to your setlists?
  • Options
    pj14pj14 Posts: 105
    i always wished i could play. my question is will you do a show in chicago? also would u play at mikes ccfa benefit in seattle at the showbox next spring please? i cant wait to hear your solo stuff. i missed you alot-i miss 3 fish you all were so talented! i cant wait to hear the new stuff. take care and peace ox
  • Options
    Was the music for this solo project compiled over your whole career or has it been just over the past few years? In your own words describe the tone and texture of this work. Was it drawn from mountain tops or cities? Is it dark (as Mike McCready says your music is) or is it lighter and fun?
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    With Metallica already announcing that their new album has "The Unforgiven III" on it, will we be seeing "Sweet Lew II: The Rebound" anytime soon?

aw man that cracked me right the hell up!!! nice one!!! :D
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Question....

It is no secret that all musicians are always writing and jotting down ideas. That said, were the songs on this record written specifically for THIS project knowing someday it would happen, or are some of them old Pearl Jam or Three Fish ideas that either never caught on, or have been retooled over the years?

Follow up....How much singing do you do on the record lead/backup?

Thanks......Scott :)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Hello Jeff,

Congrats on the new project and thanks for sharing!

How has over 15 years of being 'on the road' influenced your songwriting/lyrics in this solo effort?

Thanks,

Steve
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Hey Jeff

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true...or is it something worse?
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    What was it like working and Performing with any of the King's X members? Any plans in the future to get them to perform with you/PJ again maybe as an opener? They would be a real treat and a good education for those PJ fans unfamiliar with them!

If you do a solo tour to promote your album, will you skip Philly like Ed did? (Sorry Ed, I just cant believe Philly didnt get a solo gig)
  • Options
    assasinassasin Posts: 61
    why did the album take so long to complete? Do you have a personal favorite song on the album?
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    A/s/l
  • Options
    We all know that you're quite the talented bassist, but did you use this project to really emphasize your talents on the bass? Or did you use it to expand your musical/songwriting abilities?
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Hey Jeff, my question is: Is this a project that you are going to promote heavily? You know, singles, tour, music videos, etc. Or is ot something you're just glad it's finally being released?
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    as a talented bassist and with such magical finger action did you ever entertain the other guys in the studio with a totally rocking but ultimately anatomically accurate version of Incy Wincy Spider?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    adam42381 wrote:
    When was the last time that you stole somebody's basketball?

LMAO!

or stole someone's pot for counterfeit tickets?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    A/s/l
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHH :D that was funny
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    why didn't you give us fans a clue about this project? :D

btw.. the album cover AND the title rocks!!...~

<3<3<3
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Will the skate parks in the area determine where you will tour? If so, Tampa has a lot to offer, including the newest park in the area, the Ghetto Skate Park - http://www.ghettoskateboards.com

Come on down and I will give you a free tour!!!

:)
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    How many different hats were worn in the process of recording TONE?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

What were your intentions for your solo record? Were you influenced by the political situation in your country or the impending election?

Thanks!
    Norman
    One hand will wash the other!
  • Options
    veddermanvedderman Posts: 799
    The instrumental versions of "The Only Cloud In The Sky" and "The Forest" (credited as "Forest Is My Church") that were featured on "Immagine In Cornice" DVD (the scene on skating/eddie with his daughter on the bus) sounded very Pearl Jam-ish to me.

Hello from Slovenia and come back again!
    2000 Ljubljana
    2006 Vienna, Zagreb
    2007 Munich
    2009 Berlin
    2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
    2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
    2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
    2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
    2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
    2019 EV Firenze
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    LukinFan wrote:
    How many different hats were worn in the process of recording TONE?

"Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Thanks. Coming out of lurk mode just for this... :-)

In the past you've mentioned non-musical influences that have inspired you, or impacted on your work, from Sufi philosophy, to Henry Miller, Rilke or Hemingway's work. Which other artistic (social, political, etc) references have influenced you, or inspired you, most recently? Do you feel these influences are present in your solo album?
  • Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Ciao Jeff!

After reading the tracklist of "Tone", two titles in particular caught our attention: "The Only Cloud In The Sky" and "The Forest". The first one (we believe) was credited on "Immagine In Cornice" DVD as an instrumental track, just like "The Forest Is My Church" (which is, we believe, the working title for "The Forest"... isn't it??).

What kind of inner creative process made those two tracks featured on that DVD become two songs on your first solo record?

Best regards,
    http://www.pearljamonline.it
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    rasty10rasty10 Posts: 68
    Hi Jeff,
    What is the biggest challenge you faced while making a solo record that may not be as difficult with a group effort?
    Thanks,
    Rasto
    96-Prague
    98-Camden
    03-Camden
    06-Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Zagreb
    07-Katowice
    08-NYC I/II, Hartford, Mansfield I/II
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    Will you sing or will it be entirely instrumental? :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Jeff, has this solo project carried a constant theme through the 12 year process, or did it evolve as you yourself evolved in the last 12 years?
    Somewhat of a related question:

Can you (Jeff) give us a quick breakdown of what songs were written in the earlier stages and which were written in the latter years?
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009