* * * * The National Football League - 2011 * * * *

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:

and honestly, if they come to an agreement by some point next week and don't miss any regular season games, goodell should be applauded for this. they've gone 24 years without missing any games. no other league can say that.

he's already done enough damage with his horrendous rule changes. he's the worst

selig's the worst.

reactionary rule changes are horrible. everyone agrees. but we're talking about the lockout. and there is something to be said for never having a work stoppage affect your season (let alone cancel your sport's championship game/series :lol: ). i'd say they got another week or two left to make that happen. fingers crossed.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I disagree. I'd rather have a league miss games than worsen their product by changing what happens on the field.

selig is a puppet. I don't agree with everything he's done (the AS game thing is awful), but goodell is a million times worse. Can you think of one change that goodell has implemented that's been positive?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:

and honestly, if they come to an agreement by some point next week and don't miss any regular season games, goodell should be applauded for this. they've gone 24 years without missing any games. no other league can say that.

he's already done enough damage with his horrendous rule changes. he's the worst

selig's the worst.

reactionary rule changes are horrible. everyone agrees. but we're talking about the lockout. and there is something to be said for never having a work stoppage affect your season (let alone cancel your sport's championship game/series :lol: ). i'd say they got another week or two left to make that happen. fingers crossed.

few more than that....they built this season's schedule to allow them to easlily move the first three games.
    Every game in Week 3 has teams which share the same bye week later in the season. That means the teams could make up that week's games on what was originally scheduled to be their bye.

The NFL also could lose the week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl, and has secured hotel rooms in Indianapolis -- site of the Super Bowl XLVI -- for two weeks, meaning the Super Bowl could be played a week later than its originally scheduled date of Feb. 5, 2012.

a SB team could in theory, play 20 weeks in a row if they are not a 1 or 2 seed

sounds like they are making progress and hammering out the details not related to the players share of the revenue. that sounds like the biggest issue right now.

imo, they could go into late august and not miss any games, although training camp/pre season was be impacted
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:
    I disagree. I'd rather have a league miss games than worsen their product by changing what happens on the field.

selig is a puppet. I don't agree with everything he's done (the AS game thing is awful), but goodell is a million times worse. Can you think of one change that goodell has implemented that's been positive?

regarding the first thing you said: one has nothing to do with the other. it's not an either or thing. missing games and the revenue, along with the bad blood from the fans, would be the absolute worst thing to happen to the game. took baseball over a decade a decade to recover from that monstrosity....and that recovery was aided primarily by frauds on steroids while selig looked the other way.

to say roger goodell is a million times worse than bud selig is laughable to me. but they're both bad, as is every commissioner. they're both puppets for the owners as is every commissioner.

as far as the one good thing he has implemented....i'm not a fan of his, yet. but averting a work stoppage that affects games (something no other commissioner has been able to do in the last 2 decades) would be it. plus he's only 4 or 5 years in. the game is as popular and revenues are as high as they've ever been. those are really the two biggest jobs of a commissioner. selig at the same point had already presided over the cancellation of a world series, sinking attendance figures, and the start of the steroid era. :roll:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

regarding the first thing you said: one has nothing to do with the other. it's not an either or thing. missing games and the revenue, along with the bad blood from the fans, would be the absolute worst thing to happen to the game. took baseball over a decade a decade to recover from that monstrosity....and that recovery was aided primarily by frauds on steroids while selig looked the other way.

to say roger goodell is a million times worse than bud selig is laughable to me. but they're both bad, as is every commissioner. they're both puppets for the owners as is every commissioner.

as far as the one good thing he has implemented....i'm not a fan of his, yet. but averting a work stoppage that affects games (something no other commissioner has been able to do in the last 2 decades) would be it. plus he's only 4 or 5 years in. the game is as popular and revenues are as high as they've ever been. those are really the two biggest jobs of a commissioner. selig at the same point had already presided over the cancellation of a world series, sinking attendance figures, and the start of the steroid era. :roll:

I'm not a fan of bud selig's, but you can't blame him for every problem that baseball had in the 90s. MLB players have arguably the strongest union in the country. they are just as much, if not more to blame, than anyone else in regards to the 94 strike (which was almost 20 fucking years ago for chrst sake...which makes it ancient history at this point).

Funny you couldn't name one positive from the goodell era (I can't either). selig has done plenty of good for MLB (MLB Network, roids testing, WBC, expansion, etc).

sometimes labor battles can be good for these leagues (see NHL). We will see what happens with the NFL, but I am confident that goodell will fuck things up. you know, because he always has during his tenure. What's the latest genius rule change? You're not allowed to hit guys on onside kicks...yeah, that makes sense :roll: . Kickoffs from the 50? Awesome!!!

I love when people play the ratings card. Popularity doesn't mean something is good. See American Idol
    I really hate goodell for taking something I loved and ruining it. Until he fixes the on-field NFL product I will always despise him
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm not a fan of bud selig's, but you can't blame him for every problem that baseball had in the 90s. MLB players have arguably the strongest union in the country. they are just as much, if not more to blame, than anyone else in regards to the 94 strike (which was almost 20 fucking years ago for chrst sake...which makes it ancient history at this point).

Funny you couldn't name one positive from the goodell era (I can't either). selig has done plenty of good for MLB (MLB Network, roids testing, WBC, expansion, etc).

sometimes labor battles can be good for these leagues (see NHL). We will see what happens with the NFL, but I am confident that goodell will fuck things up. you know, because he always has during his tenure. What's the latest genius rule change? You're not allowed to hit guys on onside kicks...yeah, that makes sense :roll: . Kickoffs from the 50? Awesome!!!

I love when people play the ratings card. Popularity doesn't mean something is good. See American Idol

popularity card. :lol: it's a commissioners job to keep his league as popular as ever man. popularity equals revenue. and of course popularity doesn't mean something is good. doesn't mean it's bad either. see baseball for the previous century and pearl jam during the glorious 1990's. lazy argument.

just like you can't blame selig for one of the multiple dumb things that have happened in baseball over the last 20 years, you can't blame goodell for all of the dumb things that have happened in baseball over the last 5. you are trying to have things both ways and it doesn't work that way.

you like selig a whole hell of a lot more than i do it seems. that's cool. i don't really care for any commissioner at the current time. i'm just really hoping football continues their 24 year streak of not missing any games due to labor issues.

mediator says hes' going on vacation saturday. hopefully that means things get wrapped up on friday. fingers crossed....GO BIRDS!
    www.myspace.com
    selig has never messed with the on field product. goodell has. to me, that is the most important thing. If you are going to change the rules, make sure it's to improve the product. Do you think the NFL product has improved under goodell?

As for the popularity/revenue stuff. MLB is much more succeptible to economic downturns than the NFL is. That's not debatable. If you want to blame selig for that, be my guest. Not real smart though.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I really hate goodell for taking something I loved and ruining it. Until he fixes the on-field NFL product I will always despise him

i don't think the product is as bad as you always make it seem, but i hear ya. football tinkers with it's rules on a yearly basis though. hopefully they work it out in the next few years.

he's in a tough spot, though, because we live in the pussified united states of america. everything is so over-reactionary too. when guys start getting concussed left and right, and retired dudes start dying, he's gotta do something....

...at least he didn't cancel the super bowl though. :lol:

that is the one thing that is unforgivable in my mind.
    www.myspace.com

the players went on strike if I'm not mistaken. what's he supposed to do, bring in scabs?

agree with the pussification. football should be the one sport that doesn't need to change for that.

anyway, we can agree to disagree. I'd take selig over goodell, but that's the lesser of two evils for me. kinda like my mccain vote in the last election
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Too early to appropriately score goodell imo. I would like to see the result of this cba. Also, nfl games are getting beyond ridiculous with all the commercials. td, commercial, ko, commercial, punt, commercial, someone is mildly injured, commercial... its tough. I know commercials equal money, but I am beginning to watch much less nfl as a result.

Also, if the cba and the big owners of the nfl sink teams like the bills, jags, saints, vikings, chargers, raiders, etc it will be a terrible black eye.
    edited July 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    selig has never messed with the on field product. goodell has. to me, that is the most important thing. If you are going to change the rules, make sure it's to improve the product. Do you think the NFL product has improved under goodell?

As for the popularity/revenue stuff. MLB is much more succeptible to economic downturns than the NFL is. That's not debatable. If you want to blame selig for that, be my guest. Not real smart though.

baseball never messes with the on field product. that's not selig, that's just the nature of the game. no commissioner has....well unless you're talking about completely altering the way the game is played with the dh, but that's another story. :roll: :lol: selig can't mess with the product. why would he want to? no former players are dying in that league.

no i don't think the nfl has improved under goodell. are you not reading what i am typing? i'm not a fan of his. think i've said that about 4 times in the last page of this thread. i just think selig is worse.

i agree that mlb is much more susceptible to the economic downturns just like the other sports are (tv ratings don't really have anything to do with that). mlb revenues have actually increased over the last few years though......way to downplay the nfl's popularity (comparing it american idol) only to make an excuse for mlb in a subsequent post. nicely done. :clap:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

the players went on strike if I'm not mistaken. what's he supposed to do, bring in scabs?

agree with the pussification. football should be the one sport that doesn't need to change for that.

anyway, we can agree to disagree. I'd take selig over goodell, but that's the lesser of two evils for me. kinda like my mccain vote in the last election

you should have voted for bob barr. lesser of 2 evils is still evil.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

baseball never messes with the on field product. that's not selig, that's just the nature of the game. no commissioner has....well unless you're talking about completely altering the way the game is played with the dh, but that's another story. :roll: :lol: selig can't mess with the product. why would he want to? no former players are dying in that league.

no i don't think the nfl has improved under goodell. are you not reading what i am typing? i'm not a fan of his. think i've said that about 4 times in the last page of this thread. i just think selig is worse.

i agree that mlb is much more susceptible to the economic downturns just like the other sports are. mlb revenues have actually increased over the last few years though......way to downplay the nfl's popularity (comparing it american idol) only to make an excuse for mlb in a subsequent post though. nicely done. :clap:

you're all over the place dude. you lost me with the DH stuff. that's an entirely different argument that I don't feel like getting into.

In closing, roger goodell, you are an enormous douchebag and I hate you for ruining the NFL
    edited July 2011
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Too early to appropriately score goodell imo. I would like to see the result of this cba. Also, nfl games are getting beyond ridiculous with all the commercials. td, commercial, ko, commercial, punt, commercial, someone is mildly injured, commercial... its tough. I know commercials equal money, but I am beginning to watch much less nfl as a result.

Also, if the cba and the big owners of the nfl sink teams like the bills, jags, saints, vikings, chargers, raiders, etc it will be a terrible black eye.

yeah, prime time NFL games are almost unwatchable because of the commercials and horrible rules/calls...unless you're gambling on them

also, you forgot commercials during replays...those are my favorite. supposed to take 2 minutes and it takes 10. then they still get the call wrong
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    edited July 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i agree that mlb is much more susceptible to the economic downturns just like the other sports are. mlb revenues have actually increased over the last few years though......way to downplay the nfl's popularity (comparing it american idol) only to make an excuse for mlb in a subsequent post though. nicely done. :clap:

you're all over the place dude. you lost me with the DH stuff. that's an entirely different argument that I don't feel like getting into.

In closing, roger goodell, you are an enormous douchebag and I hate you for ruining the NFL

i lost you? :? it's the only time in baseball the on-field product has changed. i referenced it because you like the fact that selig has not changed the on-field product, when the on-field product has only changed about 1 time in the last 100 years. football tinkers with the rules ever year. apples and oranges. nice retort though. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The 81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

selig's the worst.

few more than that....they built this season's schedule to allow them to easlily move the first three games.
    Every game in Week 3 has teams which share the same bye week later in the season. That means the teams could make up that week's games on what was originally scheduled to be their bye.

The NFL also could lose the week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl, and has secured hotel rooms in Indianapolis -- site of the Super Bowl XLVI -- for two weeks, meaning the Super Bowl could be played a week later than its originally scheduled date of Feb. 5, 2012.

a SB team could in theory, play 20 weeks in a row if they are not a 1 or 2 seed

sounds like they are making progress and hammering out the details not related to the players share of the revenue. that sounds like the biggest issue right now.

imo, they could go into late august and not miss any games, although training camp/pre season was be impacted

you're right about that. i meant it seems they are close to getting it done to start the season on time.

and i don't think the owners want to miss the revenue from the pre season games. there are a bunch of nationally televised games in august that get higher tv ratings than regular season baseball games....

ocho cinco in chicago this year? what do you think?
    www.myspace.com
    i lost you? :? it's the only time in baseball the on-field product has changed. i referenced it because you like the fact that selig has not changed the on-field product, when the on-field product has only changed about 1 time in the last 100 years. nice retort though. :mrgreen:

so even when selig does something right you critcize him. nice
    The Fixer wrote:
    i lost you? :? it's the only time in baseball the on-field product has changed. i referenced it because you like the fact that selig has not changed the on-field product, when the on-field product has only changed about 1 time in the last 100 years. nice retort though. :mrgreen:

if by doing something right, you mean doing the exact same thing that has been done for the last century, then god bless bud selig.

it's baseball. the rules have been relatively the same since the 1800's dude.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

if by doing something right, you mean doing the exact same thing that has been done for the last century, then god bless bud selig.

Yes, sometimes the best move is doing nothing at all. Selig could teach Goodell a thing or two
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yes, sometimes the best move is doing nothing at all.

i guess he masted that art in the summer/fall of 1994. :lol:
    www.myspace.com

were you an expos fan back then or something? let it go dude, it was almost 20 years ago.
    The Fixer wrote:

were you an expos fan back then or something? let it go dude, it was almost 20 years ago.

i was a baseball fan. the world fucking series was cancelled. kind of a big deal to a 16 year old kid.

no, not gonna let that one go. ever.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

i was a baseball fan. the world fucking series was cancelled. kind of a big deal to a 16 year old kid.

no, not gonna let that one go. ever.

haha, you must have been real excited to see ken hill, pedro, larry walker, and marquis grissom in the playoffs.

I honestly don't even remember the strike

good talk, I'll see you out there
    i wish i didn't remember the strike :lol:
    that expos team was real fun to watch back then....

anywho, here's some good news:
    http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/1 ... or-dispute
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    and they on the 5 yard line, going in.....handoff to Jerome Bettis....oh no, he fumbles....big ben falls on the ball...whew
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    and they on the 5 yard line, going in.....handoff to Jerome Bettis....oh no, he fumbles....big ben falls on the ball...whew

PUNCH IT IN GOD DAMN IT!!! :x :x :x :x

...i asked you in the cowboys thread, but you probably didn't see it....how would you like ocho cinco on your squad this year?
    www.myspace.com
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    The 81 wrote:

The Bettis fumble in the Colts game still makes my heart drop
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    sunday
    sunday
    sunday.....
    www.myspace.com
    re-inflating the metrodome video:

http://www.kfan.com/cc-common/mainheadl ... le=8827130

the way this place was built amazes me.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.