Options

* * * * The National Football League - 2011 * * * *

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    pre-2004 we had to hear red sox fans cry about babe ruth for 90 years
    Apples and oranges, Fixer. The sixers have won titles, did win titles. 4 generations passed without a WS here in Boston, and were painfully denied time and again. AI was a super-talented player, don't get me wrong. But you cant compare the two.

yeah, you're right. my point is that philly has the right to hope the guy fails. In fact, I'm probably in the minority. there were a lot of people that were excited when he came back for a 2nd tour of duty (this guy was NOT one of them).

I will cheer him when his number gets retired here. He gave us a lot of good memories. He also screwed up a lot during his time here...especially the way he left the first time. he was pretty much a scumbag...that's all I'm saying
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pre-2004 we had to hear red sox fans cry about babe ruth for 90 years
    Apples and oranges, Fixer. The sixers have won titles, did win titles. 4 generations passed without a WS here in Boston, and were painfully denied time and again. AI was a super-talented player, don't get me wrong. But you cant compare the two.

No, you're right. I hated hearing about the Sawx bullshit long before then. Cause...ya know....all those fucking NBA titles and Super Bowls(well, more recently).

My point is city's that win in one major sport shouldn't bitch about another sport as if they're so starved - ie SF Giants, Cubs, Sawx, etc.

Only city I can think of off the top of my head that has a legit reason to bitch is Cleveland.

I agree with this too. Which is why I was heavily rooting for the yanks in the 2004 ALCS. I enjoyed watching the red sox fans season end in misery every year. cubs too. this was during a time in my life when I had NEVER seen a philly team win a title, so I was bitter.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    81 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    If you're implying Randy Moss is not a hall of famer, you're nuts.

i don't know how you put Randy Moss in the hof, if Chris Carter isn't in it.

if you don't think chris carter will not be in the hall of fame within the next few years you've completely lost your mind. just because you're not a first ballot hof'er doesn't mean you won't get in.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    If you're implying Randy Moss is not a hall of famer, you're nuts.

if you don't think chris carter will not be in the hall of fame within the next few years you've completely lost your mind. just because you're not a first ballot hof'er doesn't mean you won't get in.

i'm not going to get into the whole first ballot hof'er vs. second ballot etc. he deserves to be in the hof and should have already recieved the call.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,820
    The Fixer wrote:

I agree with this too. Which is why I was heavily rooting for the yanks in the 2004 ALCS. I enjoyed watching the red sox fans season end in misery every year. cubs too. this was during a time in my life when I had NEVER seen a philly team win a title, so I was bitter.

Yeah, but I rooted for the Sawx that year only because I didn't think their fans could be any worse than Yankees fans. But I was wayyyy off. I can't believe I rooted for the Giants against the Pats either. That how bad I thought the obnoxiousness would get if NE won that game. 18-0? We would've never heard the end of it.
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i'm not going to get into the whole first ballot hof'er vs. second ballot etc. he deserves to be in the hof and should have already recieved the call.

so what is your point? :?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That's why I love you Philly fans. You always reserve the right to hate people. That's what you guys do best, hate on people. I love it, personally.

Maybe I'm a little biased Jearl, and I see your point about a city bitching about one sport when titles are won in another sport, but the Red Sox are a different bird (Dee Reynolds) altogether compared to the other Boston sports.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, but I rooted for the Sawx that year only because I didn't think their fans could be any worse than Yankees fans. But I was wayyyy off. I can't believe I rooted for the Giants against the Pats either. That how bad I thought the obnoxiousness would get if NE won that game. 18-0? We would've never heard the end of it.

I was the only non-yankee fan in philly that didn't want boston to win that series. I was pulling for the pats in that SB. My dad is a big giants fan...absolutely brutal
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

you were one of those rooting for the giants? i'd take 18-0 from an afc team verses a team from our own division winning one before andy did. that hurts way more imo.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That's why I love you Philly fans. You always reserve the right to hate people. That's what you guys do best, hate on people. I love it, personally.

Maybe I'm a little biased Jearl, and I see your point about a city bitching about one sport when titles are won in another sport, but the Red Sox are a different bird (Dee Reynolds) altogether compared to the other Boston sports.

misery loves company :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I can't believe I rooted for the Giants against the Pats either. That how bad I thought the obnoxiousness would get if NE won that game. 18-0? We would've never heard the end of it.
    :lol: I'm glad we could accommodate your needs kid. That game was on my birthday, by the way, so I was double devastated.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

you were one of those rooting for the giants? i'd take 18-0 from an afc team verses a team from our own division winning one before andy did. that hurts way more imo.

that SB was a lose-lose situation for us...gotta agree with you though, no way in hell I was pulling for the gmen
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

that SB was a lose-lose situation for us...gotta agree with you though, no way in hell I was pulling for the gmen

it was awful. to make matters worse, i had an awful case of food poisening that day. worst day ever...one of, at least.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    it was awful. to make matters worse, i had an awful case of food poisening that day. worst day ever...one of, at least.
    Were you throwing up like McNabb at the Super Bowl??? Sorry Jeags, low blow.
  • Options

Hate...loathe...whatever. It's easy to conjur up when your city doesn't win anything forever and gets pegged for something their not. But, hey, let's hear more about the love stories of Boston, or Chicago, yada yada yada...ya know, cause it's so charming. Perfect example is the stereotype that has been easily perpetuated by the national media regarding someone like McNabb(took him for granted, blah blah blah), yet now that he makes these same shitty mistakes in another city, now it's the coach's(2 time Super Bowl Champion mind you) fault. It really is great.

FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it.
  • Options

Seriously... although it was only one day... I had a week last year but did have PJ shows to take my mind off of it (at least I thought until they brought in the lady with the scores :x )
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    Well that worked out well. The Vikings gave Moss the boot.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, fellas. After that 2004 World Series, you're kidding yourselves if you thought that the Boston bandwagon would've stopped there if the 2007 Pats won the Super Bowl. Never....would hear....the end of it. I'm tellin ya. These people would have thought they were all Superman. I wouldn't be surprised if they won if people thought they could fly.

BUT, I got over it all by the Phils winning it all 8 months later.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, somewhere in here we started with that, but ya know how these convo's go....
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, somewhere in here we started with that, but ya know how these convo's go....

haha, took a quick look back to see if it was posted and said fuck it.
  • Options
    FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it.
    :lol: Priceless. This might become my new signature for the board.
  • Options
    :lol: Priceless. This might become my new signature for the board.

I'd be honored.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Sorry, fellas. After that 2004 World Series, you're kidding yourselves if you thought that the Boston bandwagon would've stopped there if the 2007 Pats won the Super Bowl. Never....would hear....the end of it. I'm tellin ya. These people would have thought they were all Superman. I wouldn't be surprised if they won if people thought they could fly.

Plus, I got over it all by the Phils winning it all 8 months later.

I don't include myself in this group, nor do I condone it.

But ... I'm sure part of the reason the Sox fans feel this need to toot their own horn is because Yankee fans continuously piss on their parade.

Phillies fans just don't have this dynamic surrounding their baseball team.

Now ... if and when the Eagles win ... we'll see how that goes.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

Plus, I got over it all by the Phils winning it all 8 months later.

I don't include myself in this group, nor do I condone it.

But ... I'm sure part of the reason the Sox fans feel this need to toot their own horn is because Yankee fans continuously piss on their parade.

Phillies fans just don't have this dynamic surrounding their baseball team.

Now ... if and when the Eagles win ... we'll see how that goes.

And that's why I never understood the Red Sox/Yankee "rivalry". Don't both teams have to go toe-to-toe to make it a rivalry?

If the Eagles won first instead of the Phils 2 years ago, then the city would have definitely burned down. Phils took a lot of that away from the Birds.
  • Options

If the Eagles won first instead of the Phils 2 years ago, then the city would have definitely burned down. Phils took a lot of that away from the Birds.

love the eagles, but thank god this happened.
  • Options
    Were you throwing up like McNabb at the Super Bowl??? Sorry Jeags, low blow.

zing. nicely played sir. you are awarded 2 points. now, beat it!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    And I hope you're not inferring that I'm a bandwagon fan, either. We call them pink hats. There certainly are droves of them in our fanbase now, no denying that. And jimed said it perfectly, it's because the Yankees piss on our parade. Well said.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

love the eagles, but thank god this happened.

Seriously. Documentary footage would have been used for the next installment of "Escape From Philadelphia".

The right team broke the streak.
  • Options
    FF, yes, the "pink hats" if you will. I don't question or challenge those directly from said area - well, maybe a little bit. But I'm talking about all the douchebags around the country that adopted Boston teams because their teams sucked and/or they find the city charming and the accent cute. This doesn't just apply to women.
  • Options
    FF, yes, the "pink hats" if you will. I don't question or challenge those directly from said area - well, maybe a little bit. But I'm talking about all the douchebags around the country that adopted Boston teams because their teams sucked and/or they find the city charming and the accent cute. This doesn't just apply to women.
    I hate them too kid, but Dice-K's trips to the geisha houses aren't gonna pay for themselves, so the Sox welcome that pinkhat revenue. All those people piss me off too man. Root for your own team, people! See Jeagler's fraud thread for more on this subject.
This discussion has been closed.