Fantasy Football List for the geeks

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    CJ Spiller and T.O.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited August 2010
    Had my first draft last Saturday. Not unhappy, but I didn't study much, and made a couple mis-steps.

Let me know what you think. It's a Ten team league with 1PPR. 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K, D/ST.

My team and what overall pick #:

Round 1: pick 9: RB Steven Jackson
    Round 2: pick 12: RB Mendenhall
    Round 3: pick 29: WR Steve Smith NYG
    Round 4: pick 32: WR Steve Smith CAR
    Round 5: pick 49: QB Matt Schaub
    Round 6: pick 52: RB Johnathan Stewart
    Round 7: pick 69: WR Santana Moss
    Round 8: pick 72: TE Tony Gonzalez
    Round 9: pick 89: WR Eddie Royal
    Round 10: pick 92: WR Lee Evans
    Round 11: pick 109: RB Darren McFadden
    Round 12: pick 112: RB Chester Taylor
    Round 13: pick 129: QB Matthew Stafford
    Round 14: pick 132: WR Mike Williams (TB)

My D is Giants, My K is Matt Prater
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Have to say, I do miss the 2 QB league format of my hometown league that shut it down this year after 15 years.

Anyway ... this my first draft that mattered (the other one was a fun league, don't really count that).

12 team PPR league, had the #2 pick ... QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, W/R, TE, K, DEF

Round Pick Player Position
    1. (2) Adrian Peterson RB
    2. (23) Tom Brady QB
    3. (26) Miles Austin WR
    4. (47) Arian Foster RB
    5. (50) Antonio Gates TE
    6. (71) Clinton Portis RB
    7. (74) Terrell Owens WR
    8. (95) Johnny Knox WR
    9. (98) Jabar Gaffney WR
    10. (119) Chris Chambers WR
    11. (122) Carson Palmer QB
    12. (143) Darren Sproles RB
    13. (146) Philadelphia DEF
    14. (167) Sidney Rice WR
    15. (170) David Akers K

Felt the best part of the draft is when somehow the draft got back to me at 47 and no TEs had been taken. Nabbed Arian Foster (who I'm high on). The guy at the end took Dallas Clark with one of his two picks and "left me" with Gates. Vernon Davis went with the next pick (?), then FInley, I'll bet that guy was happy.

And hey, if some how Sidney Rice gets a half season in, he's a pretty good bargain. Heck, would be nice add for the playoffs.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Wilds wrote:
    Had my first draft last Saturday. Not unhappy, but I didn't study much, and made a couple mis-steps.

Let me know what you think. It's a Ten team league with 1PPR. 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K, D/ST.

My team and what overall pick #:

Round 1: pick 9: RB Steven Jackson
    Round 2: pick 12: RB Mendenhall
    Round 3: pick 29: WR Steve Smith NYG
    Round 4: pick 32: WR Steve Smith CAR
    Round 5: pick 49: QB Matt Schaub
    Round 6: pick 52: RB Johnathan Stewart
    Round 7: pick 69: WR Santana Moss
    Round 8: pick 72: TE Tony Gonzalez
    Round 9: pick 89: WR Eddie Royal
    Round 10: pick 92: WR Lee Evans
    Round 11: pick 109: RB Darren McFadden
    Round 12: pick 112: RB Chester Taylor
    Round 13: pick 129: QB Matthew Stafford
    Round 14: pick 132: WR Mike Williams (Pit)

My D is Giants, My K is Matt Prater

not too bad. i don't care for Stewart, and Moss is always a tease. Schaub is a nice pick in the 5th round.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    jimed14 wrote:
    Have to say, I do miss the 2 QB league format of my hometown league that shut it down this year after 15 years.

Anyway ... this my first draft that mattered (the other one was a fun league, don't really count that).

2. (23) Tom Brady QB
    3. (26) Miles Austin WR
    4. (47) Arian Foster RB
    5. (50) Antonio Gates TE
    7. (74) Terrell Owens WR
    8. (95) Johnny Knox WR
    9. (98) Jabar Gaffney WR
    14. (167) Sidney Rice WR
    15. (170) David Akers K

Felt the best part of the draft is when somehow the draft got back to me at 47 and no TEs had been taken. Nabbed Arian Foster (who I'm high on). The guy at the end took Dallas Clark with one of his two picks and "left me" with Gates. Vernon Davis went with the next pick (?), then FInley, I'll bet that guy was happy.

And hey, if some how Sidney Rice gets a half season in, he's a pretty good bargain. Heck, would be nice add for the playoffs.

could have RB issues if AP goes down and foster doesn't live up to expectations (i've got him in two leagues and will target him tonight in my last league). portis is junk. wr's are pretty thin from a top name perspective. but you have a lot of high upside wr's and if one or two hit, you'll be riding high.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    81 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

2. (23) Tom Brady QB
    3. (26) Miles Austin WR
    4. (47) Arian Foster RB
    5. (50) Antonio Gates TE
    7. (74) Terrell Owens WR
    8. (95) Johnny Knox WR
    9. (98) Jabar Gaffney WR
    14. (167) Sidney Rice WR
    15. (170) David Akers K

could have RB issues if AP goes down and foster doesn't live up to expectations (i've got him in two leagues and will target him tonight in my last league). portis is junk. wr's are pretty thin from a top name perspective. but you have a lot of high upside wr's and if one or two hit, you'll be riding high.

Loving Foster myself. Targeting him tonight, and have two more drafts next weekend. (damn, wtf is wrong with me).

I think Portis will be ok this year. Knox is a great pick that late. Think he will be a strong #2 this year at least.

Also think the Pats are going to go off on offense. Should be a huge year for a finally healthy Brady.

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    final draft

qb, 2rb, 3wr, te, k, d - point per reception league, 12 teams

1. (3) Ray Rice
    2. (22) DeSean Jackson
    3. (27) Larry Fitzgerald
    4. (46) Vernon Davis
    5. (51) Wes Welker
    6. (70) Carnell Williams
    7. (75) T.J. Houshmandzadeh
    8. (94) Joe Flacco
    9. (99) Willis McGahee
    10. (118) Jabar Gaffney
    11. (123) Jay Cutler
    12. (142) Dallas
    13. (147) Garrett Hartley
    14. (166) Nate Washington
    15. (171) Larry Johnson

i didn't want fitzgerald, but couldn't pass him up in the 3rd round. very thin at rb. i wanted foster and cj spiller, but they both went off the board in the rond i was going to take them. i like my back up wr's and only grabbed mcgahee as insurance. johnson is a flyer in the hope that portis doesn't play a ton

time will tell
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    81 wrote:
    final draft

qb, 2rb, 3wr, te, k, d - point per reception league, 12 teams

1. (3) Ray Rice
    2. (22) DeSean Jackson
    3. (27) Larry Fitzgerald
    4. (46) Vernon Davis
    5. (51) Wes Welker
    6. (70) Carnell Williams
    7. (75) T.J. Houshmandzadeh
    8. (94) Joe Flacco
    9. (99) Willis McGahee
    10. (118) Jabar Gaffney
    11. (123) Jay Cutler
    12. (142) Dallas
    13. (147) Garrett Hartley
    14. (166) Nate Washington
    15. (171) Larry Johnson

i didn't want fitzgerald, but couldn't pass him up in the 3rd round. very thin at rb. i wanted foster and cj spiller, but they both went off the board in the rond i was going to take them. i like my back up wr's and only grabbed mcgahee as insurance. johnson is a flyer in the hope that portis doesn't play a ton

time will tell

somehow willis mcgahee ALWAYS finds his way onto my roster one way or the other. i hate him.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,982
    I'd rather hear about the make-up of people's leagues, their payouts, etc. than their draft. I honestly think my league is the greatest thing known to mankind. Only problem is getting people to move from their stubborn ways and accept a keeper rule. And an auction style draft, or at least an auction style free agent list.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited August 2010
    I'd rather hear about the make-up of people's leagues, their payouts, etc. than their draft. I honestly think my league is the greatest thing known to mankind. Only problem is getting people to move from their stubborn ways and accept a keeper rule. And an auction style draft, or at least an auction style free agent list.

I play in a league with 12 owners where we have 20 active roster spots...it's a dynasty league. this year we had to keep 15 players, including 1K, 1 DEF, and 1 TE. We also have 10 college roster spots (I have guys like demarco murray, jake locker, michael floyd, etc). The waiver wire is a cesspool, the league is fantastic.

I see people still playing in 8 team leagues with 15 roster spots and I laugh. Those leagues are 80% luck. Every team is stacked. That is boring to me
    Post edited by The Fixer on

nothing to exciting in mine. all are "cheap" 20, 35, and 40. the 35 has a few awards for best whatever, the 40 might as well

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

I play in a league with 12 owners where we have 20 active roster spots...it's a dynasty league. this year we had to keep 15 players, including 1K, 1 DEF, and 1 TE. We also have 10 college roster spots (I have guys like demarco murray, jake locker, michael floyd, etc). The waiver wire is a cesspool, the league is fantastic.

I see people still playing in 8 team leagues with 15 roster spots and I laugh

Keeping 15 players just seems like too much to me. And getting anyone in my league to care about college football would be futile. I just want to implement a late round sleeper-keeper league for now and take it from there. And I'd like to add a few defensive positions as well.

Our league is $100 per team and may be going up to $200 next year; 12 team PPR league; 8 teams make the playoff; you start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 1 WR/RB/TE(I would like to open this up to any position as I believe any owner should be able to build/draft their team however they'd like. Even if it means them being stupid and starting two kickers), K, DEF, 6 bench spots, so 15 rounds altogether.

Payouts are $700 1st place playoff winner, $200 2nd place playoff, $100 season overall points leader, then we have $50 weekly points winners for the final 4 weeks of the season. This keeps the people in the basement from tanking on the season and ruining the "integrity of the league" - whatever that may be.

My favorite part of my point system is -5 points for missed extra points. Though I tried to make this -5,000 but no one was going for it.
    81 wrote:

nothing to exciting in mine. all are "cheap" 20, 35, and 40. the 35 has a few awards for best whatever, the 40 might as well

i dont see how you can be in that many leagues. i tried 2 one year and it just got annoying. then again i am not a huge fantasy guy...

we have 12 people in my league. $200 buy in. i honestly don't remember how it pays out. second place gets a little something and think 3rd too. wish ours was a keeper too. draft is thursday cant wait. mine is made up of a bunch of us who used to work in the same place years ago. its cool to reminisce about the glory days of the mortgage industry and get shit face drunk.
    www.myspace.com
    I'm in 2 leagues. I won't bore you with the details of the 2nd league, but there is one fantastic element.

12 team league, top 8 make playoffs. the non-playoff teams go into the toilet bowl bracket. the two teams that lose in the toilet bowl playoff games become the league bitches for the next year's draft. They are in charge of coordinating everything from setting a date, finding a location, and buying enough food/beer for everyone. we also make them fetch beers for everyone during the draft.

tremendous concept, I highly recommend it. definitely keeps people motivated to improve their teams to the end.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm in 2 leagues. I won't bore you with the details of the 2nd league, but there is one fantastic element.

12 team league, top 8 make playoffs. the non-playoff teams go into the toilet bowl bracket. the two teams that lose in the toilet bowl playoff games become the league bitches for the next year's draft. They are in charge of coordinating everything from setting a date, finding a location, and buying enough food/beer for everyone. we also make them fetch beers for everyone during the draft.

tremendous concept, I highly recommend it. definitely keeps people motivated to improve their teams to the end.

Hmmmm. I like this idea. Only thing is I host the party every year. Maybe I'll make the person who comes in last place have to buy the keg.....
    81 wrote:

i dont see how you can be in that many leagues. i tried 2 one year and it just got annoying. then again i am not a huge fantasy guy...

we have 12 people in my league. $200 buy in. i honestly don't remember how it pays out. second place gets a little something and think 3rd too. wish ours was a keeper too. draft is thursday cant wait. mine is made up of a bunch of us who used to work in the same place years ago. its cool to reminisce about the glory days of the mortgage industry and get shit face drunk.

I'm with you. I used to be in 4-5 leagues too. Now I have narrowed it down to 2 leagues. That's plenty for me. Fantasy is secondary for me...I really don't care about it much anymore. Great way to keep in touch with friends I don't get to see much anymore. My big draft is the wednesday before the first game. Me and high school buddies. this is our 10 year league anniversary with the same 12 guys...that is scary

1 - Eagles
    2 - The bets I place (I bet on a lot of games each week -- rarely bet on the eagles game)
    3 - Fantasy
    The Fixer wrote:

sounds good in theory. nobody in my league would abide by those rules though.
    www.myspace.com
  • Oh, it's all about the draft and that's it for me. Could care less how the rest of the season goes, as long as it's not absolutely putrid.

It is one entire shit show at the draft. We try to always plan it on the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, followed by 18 holes on Monday. And in between is A LOT of drinking, eating, ball busting, poker, and a trip up the street to the strip club. It's an expected deadly weekend.
    Oh, it's all about the draft and that's it for me. Could care less how the rest of the season goes, as long as it's not absolutely putrid.

It is one entire shit show at the draft. We try to always plan it on the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, followed by 18 holes on Monday. And in between is A LOT of drinking, eating, ball busting, poker, and a trip up the street to the strip club. It's an expected deadly weekend.

what strip club do you live down the street from?
    www.myspace.com
  • Oh, it's all about the draft and that's it for me. Could care less how the rest of the season goes, as long as it's not absolutely putrid.

It's not 'right up the street', but about a 5 minute car ride. Baby Dolls on 422. Probably THE classiest joint east of the Mississippi. Last year when we went it was Cowgirls and Indians Night.
    Oh, it's all about the draft and that's it for me. Could care less how the rest of the season goes, as long as it's not absolutely putrid.

It's not 'right up the street', but about a 5 minute car ride. Baby Dolls on 422. Probably THE classiest joint east of the Mississippi. Last year when we went it was Cowgirls and Indians Night.

nice. i used to live around the block from 7th heaven in conshy. EVERY night ended up there somehow. good times.
    www.myspace.com

• what strip club do you live down the street from?

nice. i used to live around the block from 7th heaven in conshy. EVERY night ended up there somehow. good times.

Ahhhh, yes, The Conshohocken Ballet. Spent many a night there. Still have a crooked nose because of that place.

3 is about the limit. but really, it only takes an extra few minutes per week. i also have two baseball going right now and just joined the fantasy hockey league and will most likely play a basketball leage as well.

it only takes 15 mintues per day to check and update everything.

not having kids free's up a lot of time that other poeople don't have :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

3 is about the limit. but really, it only takes an extra few minutes per week. i also have two baseball going right now and just joined the fantasy hockey league and will most likely play a basketball leage as well.

it only takes 15 mintues per day to check and update everything.

not having kids free's up a lot of time that other poeople don't have :lol:

Well there are exceptions.

I have a wife and son and am in 4 baseball leagues, 6 football leagues, and 2 hockey leagues so far.

It takes me about 10 minutes a day though so it's not as bad as it sounds. Football is by far the easiest given that whole one game a week thing. :D
  • Im a dengerate so when i get into something i get into 100%. Im in 3 leagues if i did any other fantasy league like baseball i'd be divorced. My wife hates football and FFB thankfully she likes baseball.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    alright going to ask for some advice. should i have Carson Palmer as my starting QB against NE or Vince young against OAK? i am think Vince
    fife wrote:
    alright going to ask for some advice. should i have Carson Palmer as my starting QB against NE or Vince young against OAK? i am think Vince

i think i'd go palmer....your results may vary. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    81 wrote:
    fife wrote:

are you laughing at my QB picks. i never bet against NE and while i know teh Pats D is weak i just think that they will come out strong for game 1. Vince was my last pick and last pick in the draft.
    fife wrote:
    81 wrote:
    fife wrote:

are you laughing at my QB picks. i never bet against NE and while i know teh Pats D is weak i just think that they will come out strong for game 1. Vince was my last pick and last pick in the draft.

just laughing because we completly disagree. Palmer could have a good season. Vince is a servicable replacement for by weeks. I personally would start Palmer. He has better WR's. TN is a running team going up a solid secondary in Oakland.

Now if you took Palmer while Bree's, Payton, Brady or a handful of others were still on the board, than yes, i am laughing at your QB's. :mrgreen:

your results may vary.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fife wrote:

Totally go with Palmer. New England's top CB just got placed on the PUP list and they already sucked and were depleted, so in theory Palmer could have a huge day.