Options

HBO: Boardwalk Empire

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Davidtrios wrote:
    very good stuff...nucky's bro has lost his mind...dude is gonna get it Fredo style...

one complaint...too much harrow in thie episode...wouldve liked to see him wiped off the show...just pull the trigger man...who cares about your mask when your brain are about to be splattered? :lol:

i kind of enjoyed it. he's an interesting character.

I think Harrow is going to be in full on kill mode now after his time in the woods.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Davidtrios wrote:
    very good stuff...nucky's bro has lost his mind...dude is gonna get it Fredo style...

one complaint...too much harrow in thie episode...wouldve liked to see him wiped off the show...just pull the trigger man...who cares about your mask when your brain are about to be splattered? :lol:

i kind of enjoyed it. he's an interesting character.

I think Harrow is going to be in full on kill mode now after his time in the woods.

i agree that harrow's an interesting character...

when he asked jimmy "would you fight for me?" and jimmy replied "of course, right down to the last bullet" then they went and scapled the old geezer who had earlier dissed & hit jimmy...pretty much implied he's already in full-on kill mode.

another good scene was when nucky & eli were going at it, then margaret broke it up it by putting a rifle to eli's head. it may not of been loaded ...still margaret's becoming quite a tough cookie.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    it was hard to watch richard lying there with the shotgun in his mouth.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    it was hard to watch richard lying there with the shotgun in his mouth.

that was difficult...it was also difficult seeing that ward boss get his brains beat in
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Davidtrios wrote:

Yeah, Eli is out of control. That was great when Nucky pretty much told him to fuck off when he was begging for Nucky to forgive him.

I agree w/ too much Harrow....I mean, it seemed like half of this episode was dedicated to him.

And what's with these entire episodes with nothing from the guys in NY/Philly and Van Alden?? Seems kinda weird to leave those guys out for the whole episode...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Davidtrios wrote:

Yeah, Eli is out of control. That was great when Nucky pretty much told him to fuck off when he was begging for Nucky to forgive him.

I agree w/ too much Harrow....I mean, it seemed like half of this episode was dedicated to him.

And what's with these entire episodes with nothing from the guys in NY/Philly and Van Alden?? Seems kinda weird to leave those guys out for the whole episode...

the show is much better when we see the ny dudes...i also wanna see more Capone- what a cocky bastard he is! makes for a likable villian...then again, aren't they all villains?
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Davidtrios wrote:

I disagree. While it would be great to see every character in every episode, I love how they are building up and showing the complexity of each character. The character development in this show is phenomenal. This is probably why this season is so good. They don't have to keep introducing characters and the story, they are just expanding on the complexity of each...which makes the overall story much more powerful.
    Harrow is a great character. So much mystery to him, so much anger and resentment...all of which is going to play out in future episodes. By showing more of who he is, it's going to make the story stronger and further allow for more powerful dialog. I also think by giving Harrow more time in the spotlight, it allows the viewer to sympathize and almost care for his tortured mind/thoughts. Last week when he was being drawn by Jimmy's wife, him telling the messed up story of his love for his sister...then him starting at the scrapbook of people in love, holding eachother with children...knowing full well, with his current "look" that he'll never have that...as we are living in a material, unjust world...him heading off to the woods to kill himself. I thought it was an awesome and powerful development.
    Also, had they been showing the folks from NY, Chicago, or Philly, it wouldn't have allowed Harrow's story to be told, and they wouldn't have been able to show Eli's downward spiral as well...which I think is very important.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I disagree. While it would be great to see every character in every episode, I love how they are building up and showing the complexity of each character. The character development in this show is phenomenal. This is probably why this season is so good. They don't have to keep introducing characters and the story, they are just expanding on the complexity of each...which makes the overall story much more powerful.
    Harrow is a great character. So much mystery to him, so much anger and resentment...all of which is going to play out in future episodes. By showing more of who he is, it's going to make the story stronger and further allow for more powerful dialog. I also think by giving Harrow more time in the spotlight, it allows the viewer to sympathize and almost care for his tortured mind/thoughts. Last week when he was being drawn by Jimmy's wife, him telling the messed up story of his love for his sister...then him starting at the scrapbook of people in love, holding eachother with children...knowing full well, with his current "look" that he'll never have that...as we are living in a material, unjust world...him heading off to the woods to kill himself. I thought it was an awesome and powerful development.
    Also, had they been showing the folks from NY, Chicago, or Philly, it wouldn't have allowed Harrow's story to be told, and they wouldn't have been able to show Eli's downward spiral as well...which I think is very important.

I get the character development, but I guess it just seems like the guys from NY are becoming main characters in everything that is going on. Van Alden too. This is the 2nd episode already this season where he has not made an appearance at all. I thought I read that they were cutting the budget for this show....I just hope that isn't the cause for these characters to be mysteriously missing from entire episodes.

Don't get me wrong, this season has been outstanding so far. It just seems like certain storylines are being halted for an entire episode and I don't understand why. Also, they wouldnt have had to cut much out of this past week's episode....I think it was only like 47-48 mins long.
  • Options

I get the character development, but I guess it just seems like the guys from NY are becoming main characters in everything that is going on. Van Alden too. This is the 2nd episode already this season where he has not made an appearance at all. I thought I read that they were cutting the budget for this show....I just hope that isn't the cause for these characters to be mysteriously missing from entire episodes.

Don't get me wrong, this season has been outstanding so far. It just seems like certain storylines are being halted for an entire episode and I don't understand why. Also, they wouldnt have had to cut much out of this past week's episode....I think it was only like 47-48 mins long.

I haven't heard that they were cutting the budget. In fact, I heard that season 3 was already approved.
    Seems crazy to think they'd cut the budget of one of their most popular and successful shows...
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

I haven't heard that they were cutting the budget. In fact, I heard that season 3 was already approved.
    Seems crazy to think they'd cut the budget of one of their most popular and successful shows...

This is where I read it....

http://www.craveonline.com/tv/articles/ ... udget-cuts
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    i missed the preview at the end of the last episode...i think i was so disturbed by it, i had to turn it off as soon as credits rolled...

anyone catch anything interesting in the preview?
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    that would suck if they cut the budget but it is not affecting the writing of the show this season. these are a lot of the same people who wrote for the sopranos. that show was notorious for character development episodes like this week's.

i really enjoyed harrow's storyline this week.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Watched the show last night and really liked it.

I have a feeling that Irish guy working for Nucky (sorry--I am so bad with remember names) worries Margaret--like he might know her background she is trying to hide.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Lizard wrote:

I have a feeling that Irish guy working for Nucky (sorry--I am so bad with remember names) worries Margaret--like he might know her background she is trying to hide.

ooooooooooooooooooooh interesting. never thought about there.

definitely something going on there.

i think those 2 end up partaking in sexual intercourse before the end of the season..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i think those 2 end up partaking in sexual intercourse before the end of the season..
    I thought that might happen with Harrow and Jimmy's wife. :shock:
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:

i thought jimmy's wife liked women?
  • Options
    I think she bats from both sides!!

Actually....I picture Harrow killing Jimmy and forcing his wife to play house with him. Maybe out in those woods!!!
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:

Actually....I picture Harrow killing Jimmy and forcing his wife to play house with him. Maybe out in those woods!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I can see that...Harrow is so goddamn creepy!!
  • Options
    i hate harrow..disgusting freak show who shouldve pulled the trigger!
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:

I could see that. I could see her being attracted to his dark, tortured self...

Then they bang away, she gets knocked up, the kid comes out all weird, and Harrow puts a creepy mask on the baby Michael Jackson style! :D

Anyways, who is it that plays Jimmy's wife? I'm pretty sure I could stare at her all day! She's purdy! ;):lol:
  • Options
    Harrow's pretty good looking in real life !! (FYI .. ;) )
    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2505803776/nm1658935
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:

ooooooooooooooooooooh interesting. never thought about there.

definitely something going on there.

oooohhh yeaaaaaaahhhh....partaking has taken place. :lol:

so now we know why margaret left ireland and was estranged from her family. since they introduced them into the show could be interesting to see where it goes...will she'll try to bring the youngest sister to AC to live with her?

whoa...never saw jimmy having nucky shot coming, & eli was the one to suggest it :shock: though jimmy's conscience wouldn't let him pull the trigger himself...hmmm...
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    margarat is a cheating whore. i hope nucky catches them in the act...that would be some real drama.

as far as jimmy's revitalized gang, they're pretty tough now but i think arnold rothstein and nuck will find a way to put them down.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Sleater strangling that IRA guy in the bathroom was bad ass
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    go margaret! :P

hey now, what about all the men on the show being adulterers...are they cheating whores too? or just a matter of boys will be boys....

what's with the double standard...is this 1921 or something? :mrgreen:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Great episode.

Was it me, or did anyone else have a hard time figuring out what the hell they were saying in this episode!?? :lol: Damn Irish accents! They should have put up sub-titles! :lol:

Anyways, the shit is really gonna hit the fan in the weeks to come! Seeing Nucky's reaction to Jimmy's planned hit is going to be GREAT!!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Was it me, or did anyone else have a hard time figuring out what the hell they were saying in this episode!?? :lol: Damn Irish accents! They should have put up sub-titles! :lol:
    Yes!!! I had to rewind and put it on mute so subtitles popped up!!! worked like a charm! :D
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

i thought jimmy's wife liked women?

always nice to see some lesbian action in this show...
    jimmy's wife found a new girl!
  • Options
    Jimmy should just bone his mom and get over it...in all seriousness, I think its great seeing jimmy already cracking over the pressure of trying to fill nucky's shoes... Its not as easy as he thought eh ? love the idea of nucky getting into the arms business... cant wait for next week.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    mca47 wrote:

I was wondering this when I was watching it - do you guys in the States understand not only what they were saying, but what was being spoken about e.g. Margarets escape of the Magdalene laundries and the Black and Tans? Ireland was in a jocker back then! It is very refreshing to hear actual Irish people instead of Americans doing really really bad diddley-eye Oirish ta-be-shure accents. One of the characters in S2 ep2 (the Irish friends that came to visit, the man with the glasses who accepted another drink after everyone was ready to leave- McGarrigle) was based on Eamon DeValera - a man who fought for Irish independance and became head of the 'freestate' after the Irish Civil War not long after that episode was based.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!