NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Jason P wrote:
    So it looks like Wisconsin gets to play for the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy by default.

Danny Hope sure 'effed things up beyond disbelief. Purdue will never again have as good a chance.

:fp:

woah woah, that trophy was renamed. Can't believe PSU is a 3 pt fav this week
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jason P wrote:
    So it looks like Wisconsin gets to play for the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy by default.

Danny Hope sure 'effed things up beyond disbelief. Purdue will never again have as good a chance.

:fp:

woah woah, that trophy was renamed. Can't believe PSU is a 3 pt fav this week
    I forgot ... they renamed it to the Stagg-"Let's-pretend-he-never-existed" Championship Trophy.

;)

Now, if only we can attach a scandal to the words "leaders" and "legends" ...

:think:
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Damn, I can't wait for Saturday!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    RW81233 wrote:
    first of all I am a fan of the U

didn't know that. right on :thumbup:

164080d1250434412-cws-circular-cap-style-logos-university-utah.png
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    norm wrote:
    Oregon's home loss to Stanford dropped the Ducks to No. 5 in the BCS standings.

Notre Dame is No. 1, Alabama is No. 2 and Georgia is No. 3.

That means if Notre Dame beats USC on Saturday, it almost certainly will play the SEC champion for the national championship.

If Notre Dame loses, however, things could get interesting.

Oregon is fourth in both national polls, but it it seventh with the computers, which is why it is ranked behind No. 4 Florida.

But if Oregon beats Oregon State on Saturday -- the Beavers are No. 15 in the BCS standings -- and No. 8 Stanford loses at No. 17 UCLA, the Ducks would get another quality foe in the Bruins in the Pac-12 championship game.

It's possible the Ducks could perk up enough in the BCS standings to earn a berth opposite the SEC champion, if, again, Notre Dame loses.

Further, the Pac-12 is doing well in the BCS standings overall, if not the polls.

Six Pac-12 teams are in the BCS top-25. Arizona is No. 24 and Washington is No. 25.

So imagine this: If Arizona beats Arizona State and Washington beats Washington State, both on Friday. that would be two more top-25 wins for Oregon. Toss in Oregon State and UCLA, and USC's perk after beating Notre Dame, and that could swing the computers the Ducks way.

Of course, that's a lot of stuff.

The point: Oregon isn't dead yet.

tumblr_maxz2asZJ11qj26eao1_500.jpg
    Go SC! :?
    #FHP
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Horos wrote:
    Go SC! :?

:lol::lol:

i will say, i'd rather see nd-sec instead of sec-sec again...in fact, i really don't need to ever see the sec again :lol::lol:
    81 wrote:
    rutgers and maryland. :fp: :fp: :fp:

i'd rather see indiana and MN expelled from the big ten football confrence. :lol:

I see a bunch of games at the Medowlands and Ravens/Redskins games for when the big boys come to town.

$$$$$$$$
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Not sure yet how I feel about this UMD Big 10 move. We shall see!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    #1 in the bcs- first time ever
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    RW81233 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    first of all I am a fan of the U so by default I have to hate Notre Dame. Really the hatred on my part is the fact that they are essentially the Bill O'Reilly of college football. if I need to explain more i will.

I can understand it from a rivalry aspect, but it's a lot more widespread than people who went to rival schools.

And yeah, a little clarification on the Bill O'Reilly thing is needed, I don't really know what you mean.
    A lot of people have elaborated above, but basically they were once the dominant force in college football and that time has passed. However, they hold on to the past with their widespread following and relative level of privilege within the college football industry (by being an independent they don't have to share any money with anyone when they go to bowl games and the like so when the BCS says they get $14 million they actually get all $14 million). At the same time when people call them on their sense of entitlement their fans start whining about the media's attack on all things Irish (code for: well it's kind of obvious) even though they have unearned privileges just for being Notre Dame. Bill O'Reilly does much of the same in a different context (see: the war on christmas or whatever bullshit that he spouts off about right about...now).

Further, and to take the O'Reilly analogy a step further, if you watch Billy Corben's documentary "The U," the social class and, by extension, racial (sorry 81), elements behind the depiction of the Miami-Notre Dame rivalry as "Catholics vs. Convicts" are striking. This of course is despite the realities that Notre Dame, as a whole, does some pretty fucked up shit (see: last year when their video taper died in high winds or when the school covered up multiple rapes for their football team). Edit: Oh yes and let's not forget Hornung's statements that they need to lower academic standards to "get the black athlete".

Notre Dame does have it's share of problems, but I think "The U" did an accurate job of portraying the disgrace that was the late 80's Miami teams.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I don't think you can blame the whole university for what one old man said. And the Catholics vs Convicts thing was started by a few students, blame the media for seizing on it, as they do with anything that's catchy. I can see why people dislike them after some of the stuff mentioned, but really there is no program with a clean nose. And there are plenty of teams who would play weak schedules then cry about not being in the National Championship game, TCU in recent years has been terrible about that. But nobody hates them, they're everybody's favorite underdog team. Though now they're behaving like any other corrupt big program. None of this stuff seems exclusive to Notre Dame. I think it's the big TV deal that probably pisses people off, and I can understand that.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Jason P wrote:
    81 wrote:
    rutgers and maryland. :fp: :fp: :fp:

i'd rather see indiana and MN expelled from the big ten football confrence. :lol:
    Money and TV contracts and expanded coverage. That's what matters today.

Yet god forbid a student athlete makes a few bucks on the side.

Yeah it's getting out of control. They need to make the buyouts so much that no one can ever leave a conference. I find it funny that we couldn't have a playoff for so long because it wouldn't be good for the student athlete with all the travel, but now we can have conferences that span the entire country. It's sad that money and tv contracts are running college football.

Student athletes do get paid, it's called a free college education, which the cost is going up by the minute. The problem is they should be allowed to work a low paying campus job like other students.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    pureoc, as a fan of the U i don't see them as a disgrace but rather the logical conclusion to a fucked up system. send a bunch of poor black kids to get a "free education" from a system never intended to educate them to entertain a bunch of rich white kids and see what happens. oh yeah it's the U. what did tyler durden or jack say? they are the scratch in the roof of your mouth or something of the like.
    RW81233 wrote:
    pureoc, as a fan of the U i don't see them as a disgrace but rather the logical conclusion to a fucked up system. send a bunch of poor black kids to get a "free education" from a system never intended to educate them to entertain a bunch of rich white kids and see what happens. oh yeah it's the U. what did tyler durden or jack say? they are the scratch in the roof of your mouth or something of the like.

The system is f'd up that's for damn sure. There should be tougher standards for athletes that don't take the academic part of student athlete serious, however I think the main problem is many student athletes don't care about the academic part which is just sad. A lot of kids would love to get the college education they get for the cost they get it at. The disgrace comment mainly came from the fact that 20+ years later these guys are the same arrogant aholes they were back then. Pretty sad they never grew up.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    pureoc wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

The system is f'd up that's for damn sure. There should be tougher standards for athletes that don't take the academic part of student athlete serious, however I think the main problem is many student athletes don't care about the academic part which is just sad. A lot of kids would love to get the college education they get for the cost they get it at. The disgrace comment mainly came from the fact that 20+ years later these guys are the same arrogant aholes they were back then. Pretty sad they never grew up.
    they never had to...always rewarded for not caring. as you say this isn't unique to the U, but they are the exemplar of everything that could go wrong with the system. at the same time as a college prof there are a lot of non-athletes on parental scholarships that could give two shits about what they are doing in class. i think it's endemic of a national educational system that funnels everyone to college at 18 when very few of us appreciate what a college education is supposed to be about. many of us would benefit from a few years in the labor force before we figure it out. i know once i did know what i want to do college became a thousand times easier and more important for me. of course i never left so what do i know hehe.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    ^^^ I agree

I am doing fine for myself now, but there were a rash of poor decisions I made in the 17-19 YO range that affected my life and career, etc.
    tedford out at cal
    RW81233 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

they never had to...always rewarded for not caring. as you say this isn't unique to the U, but they are the exemplar of everything that could go wrong with the system. at the same time as a college prof there are a lot of non-athletes on parental scholarships that could give two shits about what they are doing in class. i think it's endemic of a national educational system that funnels everyone to college at 18 when very few of us appreciate what a college education is supposed to be about. many of us would benefit from a few years in the labor force before we figure it out. i know once i did know what i want to do college became a thousand times easier and more important for me. of course i never left so what do i know hehe.

I think it would be greatly beneficial to almost everyone if that was the case.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Heisenberg wrote:

:fp: :lol:

fuck that team up north
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:
    tedford out at cal

what took so long?

that program has fallen and can't get up :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    81 wrote:

fuck that team up north

+1,000,000

GO BUCKS!
    GO BLUE!!
    81 wrote:

definitely deserving of a :fp:

get a life.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    GO BLUE!!

frauds :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: out
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:
    GO BLUE!!

Are the Trojans wearing blue nike jerseys against ND on Saturday? Does it signify that their pretty boy QB is all black and blue? :D
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    GO BLUE!!

frauds :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: out

all his teams suck :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    today is it. Thank you NCAA for punishing a group of kids who were learning to walk when crimes were being committed. You are a first class organization. Thank you ESPN, for feeding the media frenzy throughout the summer and letting the world know that Joe Paterno and Penn State football are indeed a menace to society while you air for the first time 11 of our 12 games.

Others with "football culture", please enjoy your day and the weeks to come.

I will truly enjoy my final Saturday and have a blast, because contrary to popular belief - football never came first. But it may at 3:30 today, just for 3 hours.

We Are
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Just a reminder on this Thanksgiving weekend...

26293371.jpg