NCAA College Football -

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    i hate K-State (i'm a KU fan).....
    we lived in Waco for just over 3 years while she was in grad school @ Baylor....

GO BEARS!!!! FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Heisenberg wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    To the OSU folk, say you weren't on probation, and K State, Oregon, ND, and you all ran the table. Do you think you'd be in the champ game? I'd say probably not (and yes there is bias in their). Not sure where OSU started out in the polls at the start of the year, but I'm guessing it was below OR, so they wouldn't jump them. With the Big Ten horrible as a conference this year I don't think that'd help them either. All 3 teams played a much tougher schedule than OSU.

No, they wouldn't be in the title game. As much as I hate to admit this to a dirty cheese-eating Badger fan ;) , I'm kinda glad we are on probation. We are the best team in a terrible conference. There is not one other team in the Big Ten that I consider quality. All other teams in the Big Ten would be bottom barrel teams in any of the other power confrences this year. Ohio State would likely be mid level at best. If Ohio State went to a BCS bowl game this year against a legit team, we'd likely get exposed, just like the Big Ten champ will in the Rose Bowl. This way, we get to potentially go undefeated and look good instead of potentially going undefeated in a shit conference and then getting blasted by a SEC or Pac 12 team in a bowl game. That being said, it's good to be a Buckeye and break the heart Bucky Badger 2 years in a row :D

CORRECTION: Yes...we would be in the title game. I hate you Terrelle Pryor :evil:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm shocked by what Baylor did. Texas A&M beating Alabama last week was unexpected, but believable. Baylor beating K State was not even a thought that crossed my mind. And I'm sure it didn't cross K State's.

And how cool was Baylor's QB? Is he a robot or something? They're unranked, they just beat (kicked the shit out of actually) the #1 team in the nation, there's a HUGE celebration going on behind him as the field was completely covered with fans who rushed the field, and he's giving an interview like it's no big deal. He almost looked bored and annoyed. Just another day at the office for him.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    unfuckingbelievable
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    To the OSU folk, say you weren't on probation, and K State, Oregon, ND, and you all ran the table. Do you think you'd be in the champ game? I'd say probably not (and yes there is bias in their). Not sure where OSU started out in the polls at the start of the year, but I'm guessing it was below OR, so they wouldn't jump them. With the Big Ten horrible as a conference this year I don't think that'd help them either. All 3 teams played a much tougher schedule than OSU.

No, they wouldn't be in the title game. As much as I hate to admit this to a dirty cheese-eating Badger fan ;) , I'm kinda glad we are on probation. We are the best team in a terrible conference. There is not one other team in the Big Ten that I consider quality. All other teams in the Big Ten would be bottom barrel teams in any of the other power confrences this year. Ohio State would likely be mid level at best. If Ohio State went to a BCS bowl game this year against a legit team, we'd likely get exposed, just like the Big Ten champ will in the Rose Bowl. This way, we get to potentially go undefeated and look good instead of potentially going undefeated in a shit conference and then getting blasted by a SEC or Pac 12 team in a bowl game. That being said, it's good to be a Buckeye and break the heart Bucky Badger 2 years in a row :D

CORRECTION: Yes...we would be in the title game. I hate you Terrelle Pryor :evil:

HA, it keeps getting sweeter. Hoping ND can beat USC. Loved to see Oregon and their stupid 30 uniforms and nike money lose. Enjoy the Holiday Bowl! Disappointed K State lost. Was hoping for ND K State. Now some SEC team that cheats beyond all belief will be in the championship game. God forbid ND loses we might have to sit through another all SEC championship game. I didn't watch last years and sure wouldn't watch this years.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    norm wrote:
    unfuckingbelievable
    :cry:
    #FHP
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I doubt we'll see an all-SEC national championship game again. Given the way USC has been playing I imagine that Notre Dame will handle business next Saturday although given the way these games have gone I guess anything is possible.

This has truly been a strange year in college football. Can't wait for a playoff system although even that won't solve everything. There will always be somebody complaining about bias in the polls (even though it exists with so many teams and conferences) and somebody will always be left on the outside looking in.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :D

taxi....hello :fp: :lol:

good times in madison.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    hey, 81....make sure you read the urban meyer piece in SI. It's the one with collin klein on the cover :roll: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I just fucking knew alabama would weasel their way back into the national championship :x

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I cant fucking believe my Ducks lost...
    I cant fucking believe Notre Dame is #1

Fuck Notre Dame
    Those Catholics cheat!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I can't believe I stayed up Friday night watching Air Force /Hawaii on replay. I just couldn't sleep until I saw Air Force throw the ball once. It never happened. :lol:
    Horos wrote:
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Fucking ND. Next week may be the only time ever that I am rooting for USC
    imalive wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    Saw that one coming. ;)
    #FHP
    I've never understood all the hatred there is for Notre Dame. And I don't mean here, but in this country. What am I missing? I don't really have any feelings about them either way, but I've always been of the opinion that since they're one of the most storied programs in football history, when they're good college football is good. They're hardly ever involved in scandals (at least not that I've heard of, I'm sure they aren't 100% clean, nobody is), they appear to be (at least according to Paul Hornung) serious and strict about education. What's the deal?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Oregon's home loss to Stanford dropped the Ducks to No. 5 in the BCS standings.

Notre Dame is No. 1, Alabama is No. 2 and Georgia is No. 3.

That means if Notre Dame beats USC on Saturday, it almost certainly will play the SEC champion for the national championship.

If Notre Dame loses, however, things could get interesting.

Oregon is fourth in both national polls, but it it seventh with the computers, which is why it is ranked behind No. 4 Florida.

But if Oregon beats Oregon State on Saturday -- the Beavers are No. 15 in the BCS standings -- and No. 8 Stanford loses at No. 17 UCLA, the Ducks would get another quality foe in the Bruins in the Pac-12 championship game.

It's possible the Ducks could perk up enough in the BCS standings to earn a berth opposite the SEC champion, if, again, Notre Dame loses.

Further, the Pac-12 is doing well in the BCS standings overall, if not the polls.

Six Pac-12 teams are in the BCS top-25. Arizona is No. 24 and Washington is No. 25.

So imagine this: If Arizona beats Arizona State and Washington beats Washington State, both on Friday. that would be two more top-25 wins for Oregon. Toss in Oregon State and UCLA, and USC's perk after beating Notre Dame, and that could swing the computers the Ducks way.

Of course, that's a lot of stuff.

The point: Oregon isn't dead yet.

tumblr_maxz2asZJ11qj26eao1_500.jpg
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    imalive wrote:
    I just fucking knew alabama would weasel their way back into the national championship :x
    Roll Tide
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I've never understood all the hatred there is for Notre Dame. And I don't mean here, but in this country. What am I missing? I don't really have any feelings about them either way, but I've always been of the opinion that since they're one of the most storied programs in football history, when they're good college football is good. They're hardly ever involved in scandals (at least not that I've heard of, I'm sure they aren't 100% clean, nobody is), they appear to be (at least according to Paul Hornung) serious and strict about education. What's the deal?
    first of all I am a fan of the U so by default I have to hate Notre Dame. Really the hatred on my part is the fact that they are essentially the Bill O'Reilly of college football. if I need to explain more i will.
    RW81233 wrote:
    first of all I am a fan of the U so by default I have to hate Notre Dame. Really the hatred on my part is the fact that they are essentially the Bill O'Reilly of college football. if I need to explain more i will.

I can understand it from a rivalry aspect, but it's a lot more widespread than people who went to rival schools.

And yeah, a little clarification on the Bill O'Reilly thing is needed, I don't really know what you mean.
    RW81233 wrote:

I can understand it from a rivalry aspect, but it's a lot more widespread than people who went to rival schools.

And yeah, a little clarification on the Bill O'Reilly thing is needed, I don't really know what you mean.
    I think it's similar to the Yankees. Notre Dame was a top team for years(not the level of the Yankees) thus if you weren't a fan you became a hater. Plus there is a lot of resentment of catholics as well. Then to top it off, they've gotten 'special' treatment since the start of the BCS.
    #FHP
    Fuck that team up north.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    edited November 2012

It is because they are a "go to" team of a lot of people who do not normally college football, but refer to them as "my Irish" when they are doing good and they come out of the woodwork when they are winning. See: many Yankees and Lakers fans

Also, you get players coming out of Notre Dame who get way overhyped by their fans on message boards before the NFL draft. God forbid you criticize Jimmy Clausen because insults are coming your way. He is god's gift because he played QB at Notre Dame

They remain independant mainly to keep their TV deal, and also so they can play like 8 home game and 4 away games.

They get put over. Normally they have a soft schedule, and they can beat Nevada and Navy to go 2-0 and end up in the top 20 somehow. Normally over the past 20 years or so they have done a nice job sinking themselves.
    For example, years ago, Alabama and Notre Dame were #1 and #2. Alabama won to go undefeated, while Notre Dame took the easy way out and settled for a tie against Michigan. They gave the National Championship to Notre Dame.

With that said, they have had a good season and deserve to be up there. I do wonder how they would be coming out with a full ACC or SEC Schedule though and an equal amount of home and away games.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    MayDay10 wrote:

It is because they are a "go to" team of a lot of people who do not normally college football, but refer to them as "my Irish" when they are doing good and they come out of the woodwork when they are winning. See: many Yankees and Lakers fans

Also, you get players coming out of Notre Dame who get way overhyped by their fans on message boards before the NFL draft. God forbid you criticize Jimmy Clausen because insults are coming your way. He is god's gift because he played QB at Notre Dame

They remain independant mainly to keep their TV deal, and also so they can play like 8 home game and 4 away games.

They get put over. Normally they have a soft schedule, and they can beat Nevada and some other patsy to go 2-0 and end up in the top 20 somehow. Normally over the past 20 years or so they have done a nice job sinking themselves.
    For example, years ago, Alabama and Notre Dame were #1 and #2. Alabama won to go undefeated, while Notre Dame took the easy way out and settled for a tie against Michigan. They gave the National Championship to Notre Dame.

With that said, they have had a good season and deserve to be up there. I do wonder how they would be coming out with a full ACC or SEC Schedule though and an equal amount of home and away games.

most big time programs play 7-8 home games.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    a lot of them go 7 - 4 - 1 on neutral. Then top of the top have to play a neutral site Conference Championship game.

This years Irish schedule was no joke though. Just not as intense as the SEC Gauntlet
    rutgers and maryland. :fp: :fp: :fp:

i'd rather see indiana and MN expelled from the big ten football confrence. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    RW81233 wrote:

A lot of people have elaborated above, but basically they were once the dominant force in college football and that time has passed. However, they hold on to the past with their widespread following and relative level of privilege within the college football industry (by being an independent they don't have to share any money with anyone when they go to bowl games and the like so when the BCS says they get $14 million they actually get all $14 million). At the same time when people call them on their sense of entitlement their fans start whining about the media's attack on all things Irish (code for: well it's kind of obvious) even though they have unearned privileges just for being Notre Dame. Bill O'Reilly does much of the same in a different context (see: the war on christmas or whatever bullshit that he spouts off about right about...now).

Further, and to take the O'Reilly analogy a step further, if you watch Billy Corben's documentary "The U," the social class and, by extension, racial (sorry 81), elements behind the depiction of the Miami-Notre Dame rivalry as "Catholics vs. Convicts" are striking. This of course is despite the realities that Notre Dame, as a whole, does some pretty fucked up shit (see: last year when their video taper died in high winds or when the school covered up multiple rapes for their football team). Edit: Oh yes and let's not forget Hornung's statements that they need to lower academic standards to "get the black athlete".
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:
    rutgers and maryland. :fp: :fp: :fp:

i'd rather see indiana and MN expelled from the big ten football confrence. :lol:
    Money and TV contracts and expanded coverage. That's what matters today.

Yet god forbid a student athlete makes a few bucks on the side.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    So it looks like Wisconsin gets to play for the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy by default.

Danny Hope sure 'effed things up beyond disbelief. Purdue will never again have as good a chance.

:fp:
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    MayDay10 wrote:

They get put over. Normally they have a soft schedule, and they can beat Nevada and Navy to go 2-0 and end up in the top 20 somehow. Normally over the past 20 years or so they have done a nice job sinking themselves.

Notre Dame settled for a tie with Michigan State.....1966...back when the Champion was crowned before the bowl games.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.