NCAA College Football -

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    anyone want to take bets on who the next PSU coach will be in 2014?

Mrs fixer (psu grad) is not happy. sandusky aside, pretty funny.

Luckily for them they are in the big 10, so they will still be competitive
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:

did she want them to keep bradley?

i can't get over how these psu alums cannot fathom the idea of hiring someone with no connection to the university.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

i can't get over how these psu alums cannot fathom the idea of hiring someone with no connection to the university.

she isn't enough of a sports fan to know one way or another. She is just bitter about how the paterno thing went down (justifiably pissed off, IMO). I had her sold on mario cristobal (you prob don't know him...he's the FIU coach...would have been a perfect fit if you know his history).

the PSU and big ten fans are dilusional. I think it's hilarious
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

she isn't enough of a sports fan to know one way or another. She is just bitter about how the paterno thing went down (justifiably pissed off, IMO). I had her sold on mario cristobal (you prob don't know him...he's the FIU coach...would have been a perfect fit if you know his history).

the PSU and big ten fans are dilusional. I think it's hilarious

I wish Bradley could have been given a year or two shot but I understand that they had to go outside the program. What I like about the hiring is that he seems like a fiery guy who doesn't take shit, he must be a smart guy being a Brown grad and his college resume has some pretty good academic schools on it. What I don't like is part of what Arringtion said. This guy has no fucking clue what he is getting into. I understand that no matter what, they were going to get someone that is not familiar with the Penn State family and tradition, but I wish they got someone with some college head coaching experience. This guy is taking over a tough situation and is not only going to be tasked with winning games on the field but he is going to have to recruit, keep donors happy and fund raise, along with upholding the graduation rates and academic performance while restoring the Success With Honor that the 110,000+ who show up every Saturday and hundreds of thousands of donors across the country expect. He has no room for a learning curve and there is no way someone like this won't need one. I think Tim Murphy from Harvard or someone along those lines would have been perfect.
    wasn't murphy one of the one's who tried to distance himself from the speculation though? i thought i read that...

i really don't think penn state had a lot of serious candidates to choose from.

o'brien may be walking into the most difficult coaching job that ever existed
    www.myspace.com
    wasn't murphy one of the one's who tried to distance himself from the speculation though? i thought i read that...

I didn't see anything from Murphy but I could have easily missed it. I just think they could have gotten someone that has more experience in the college level and everything else I said. I don't think they had a big pool of candidates but money talks and I think they could have gone with more experience. I am not completely opposed to this, I know next to nothing about the guy and I will obviously support him, I just find it strange.

11:30 press conference should be interesting. Definitely a really difficult situation.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I didn't see anything from Murphy but I could have easily missed it. I just think they could have gotten someone that has more experience in the college level and everything else I said. I don't think they had a big pool of candidates but money talks and I think they could have gone with more experience. I am not completely opposed to this, I know next to nothing about the guy and I will obviously support him, I just find it strange.

11:30 press conference should be interesting. Definitely a really difficult situation.

i think lavar, short, and the others should shut up though. them saying they're "done" with psu is stupid and certainly isn't helping the situation...or recruiting for that matter.

speaking of recruiting...did you see that that top safety recruit commit to alabama over lsu on live tv the other night? his mom was sitting right next to him and basically ripped her son for not choosing lsu. what a fucking bitch.
    www.myspace.com
    Larry Johnson is at the press conference, assume he's staying on. Good news.
    Beginning the press conference by introducing his family. I like it.
    Staff will be in place over the next 2 or 3 days. Larry Johnson is on the staff. Well fucking done!
    All in all, I thought he did pretty well.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

I watched Alabama try and replace Paul "Bear" Bryant....a legend and an institution, like JoePa, who will never be duplicated. It was rough sledding for both the program and the fan-base....but Bryant left on his own accord.....so, yeah, the Penn State thing is going to be the worst situation that a new coach could experience. The only example that would be even remotely similar....legendary coach forced out because of unacceptable actions....would be Earle Bruce following Woody Hayes at Ohio State.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i think lavar, short, and the others should shut up though. them saying they're "done" with psu is stupid and certainly isn't helping the situation...or recruiting for that matter.

speaking of recruiting...did you see that that top safety recruit commit to alabama over lsu on live tv the other night? his mom was sitting right next to him and basically ripped her son for not choosing lsu. what a fucking bitch.

Missed this the other day, Jeags. Was too wrapped up in the press conference I guess. I hear you, I wish they would have toned to down a bit, definitely did not help the situation at all. Sounds like people are at least beginning to give him a chance though, which is good news. In addition to Johnson, he's keeping Vanderlinden, which is great news and the strength coach. There are plenty of rumors out there today that Ralph Friedgen will be the offensive coordinator, I'll believe it when I see it but that would be a great addition. And Ted Roof, who I am not really familiar with as the d coordinator.

I didn't see that. That's hilarious.
    after the terrible nfl 'playoff' games I am really looking forward to watching some real football tonight.

I think this is going to be an all time classic game
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:
    after the terrible nfl 'playoff' games I am really looking forward to watching some real football tonight.

how many more bowl games are there this year?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    The Fixer wrote:

i am too but it's an sec game...good luck with that
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    The Fixer wrote:

I think it's going to be classically boring :yawn:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

how many more bowl games are there this year?

I think there were 35. Around 25 of them have been good.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Bulls/Pistons > BCS Garbage
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i am too but it's an sec game...good luck with that

Like the SEC or not, I don't think you can argue that bama/lsu are the two best teams.
    81 wrote:

only thing the nba is superior to is nascar
    The Fixer wrote:
    Like the SEC or not, I don't think you can argue that bama/lsu are the two best teams in the sec.

;)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    norm wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Like the SEC or not, I don't think you can argue that bama/lsu are the two best teams in the sec.

;)

Which is the best conference in college football. Easily.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

only thing the nba is superior to is nascar

I don't even know if its superior to that :lol:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    norm wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

;)

you seriously don't think bama/lsu are the two best teams??

I think arkansas was the third best team in the country

I'm not one to slurp the SEC either.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Can LSU still win the national championship trophy if they lose?
    Jason P wrote:

nah. they are like the pats were when they got to the SB vs the ginas
    The Fixer wrote:
    norm wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

;)

it isn't that, it's just that they played each other already...bama lost...not a fan of 2 teams from the same conference playing each other in the championship...much rather have seen okla st or oregon play lsu
    norm wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    norm wrote:
    ;)

it isn't that, it's just that they played each other already...bama lost...not a fan of 2 teams from the same conference playing each other in the championship...much rather have seen okla st or oregon play lsu

lsu already beat oregon

I think it should be the two best teams. The BCS clearly got that right.

OK st would have gotten demolished by either of these teams. They lost to a horrendous iowa st team.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Fixer wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

nah. they are like the pats were when they got to the SB vs the ginas
    But that was determined by a playoff format. This is just a pre-determined game. If the AP picks LSU over Bama, would it upset the BCS "formula"?