NCAA College Football -

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    these bowl games have been unreal
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Is it me or is the talent pool for college placekickers getting more watered down? Maybe it's just the games I've watched this season, but I've seen way more misses than made field goals. I'm more surprised to see a kicker actually make one at the college level (even on a chip shot) than miss.

I know they're just kids, and it's a lot of pressure, but over the past couple of seasons the kicking talent just seems to have gotten much weaker. Before the Stanford kicker even attempted that field goal that would have won the game I knew it was going to overtime. And it's not because I'm psychic, but just because I've been conditioned to expect a miss on account of the sheer amount of them I've seen the last couple of seasons.

But like I said, it could just be the games I've seen.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Is it me or is the talent pool for college placekickers getting more watered down? Maybe it's just the games I've watched this season, but I've seen way more misses than made field goals. I'm more surprised to see a kicker actually make one at the college level (even on a chip shot) than miss.

I know they're just kids, and it's a lot of pressure, but over the past couple of seasons the kicking talent just seems to have gotten much weaker. Before the Stanford kicker even attempted that field goal that would have won the game I knew it was going to overtime. And it's not because I'm psychic, but just because I've been conditioned to expect a miss on account of the sheer amount of them I've seen the last couple of seasons.

But like I said, it could just be the games I've seen.

No, I would agree. :thumbup:
    DS1119 wrote:

Maybe it's always been this way and I'm just noticing it, but maybe it's just been a few bad years. It's really not until a kicker goes pro (which so few do) that being a kicker becomes their sole focus. Things may have changed in the past 15 or so years, but back when I was in high school most kickers were guys from the soccer team. They didn't practice with us, except for maybe once a week. Their time was focused on soccer, and the only time they ever put on a helmet or pads was on game day. Two of the kickers from my high school went on to be kickers in college, one at Illinois the other at the Naval Academy, but they went on soccer scholarships, and it was sort of the same thing, they were soccer players first and placekickers second. Some really big programs probably get somebody who does nothing but kick, but I think through most of the NCAA it's probably the same as it used to be.
    DS1119 wrote:

Maybe it's always been this way and I'm just noticing it, but maybe it's just been a few bad years. It's really not until a kicker goes pro (which so few do) that being a kicker becomes their sole focus. Things may have changed in the past 15 or so years, but back when I was in high school most kickers were guys from the soccer team. They didn't practice with us, except for maybe once a week. Their time was focused on soccer, and the only time they ever put on a helmet or pads was on game day. Two of the kickers from my high school went on to be kickers in college, one at Illinois the other at the Naval Academy, but they went on soccer scholarships, and it was sort of the same thing, they were soccer players first and placekickers second. Some really big programs probably get somebody who does nothing but kick, but I think through most of the NCAA it's probably the same as it used to be.

Wow. You just brought a flood of memories back. I graduated high school in 91 and the kicker at our school lived to be a kicker. He didn't play soccer...he lived to kick. He wore a special boot and still kicked straight on (not soccer style). He ended up kicking at Princeton in college. :lol:
    it's actually harder to kick in college than the nfl because the hashmarks are so much wider
    The Fixer wrote:
    it's actually harder to kick in college than the nfl because the hashmarks are so much wider

I agree with you as long as the ball is past the NFL hash marks...but in general college kiciking is horrible. I think kicking is harder than a lot of people give it credit for and that's why NFL kickers get so recycled. As long as you have the potential to hit that 50 yarder...someone may call for you at any time to join the team.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    great game! go ducks!!

14463889.jpg
  • The Fixer wrote:

Really?! College kickers miss 24 yard field goals. NFL kickers regularly make 50+ yard field goals. I really don't think that's because the hash marks are wider. Did you see some of the snaps today? The PK's did some marvelous work. I think it was the Michigan St PKer who did some fine work today.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    is there a worse way to crown a champion than the way college football does it? i know i've said it a bunch of times but i absolutely hate the bcs.

great win for oc state....and oregon (despite the lack of anything resembling a defense in both games-they were exciting). but what is the point? good for them them. they won a couple meaningless bowl games.

both of these teams should have a shot at the title. a playoff system would make things sooo much more interesting.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... t-receive/

Oklahoma State has earned a title shot they won’t receive
    Posted by Ben Kercheval on January 3, 2012, 1:20 AM EST

Whether you thought Oklahoma State deserved a shot at the BCS national title or not, you know the question is going to be asked for the next week leading up to the rematch between LSU and Alabama.

With the third-ranked Cowboys topping No. 4 Stanford 41-38 in overtime in the Fiesta Bowl, has Oklahoma State earned the chance to play one more game?

The question, of course, is rhetorical; OSU can’t do anything about the national title game now besides campaign for a few AP votes here and there, but there’s something to be said for winning what has arguably been the most complete conference in college football this season from top to bottom.

Yes, more complete than the SEC. Bowl records may be worthless to some, but it’s worth noting that the Big 12 is 6-1 in bowl games thus far. Regardless of the circumstances, the Big 12 has shown up in the postseason.

Regular season wins over Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma and now Stanford — all Top 20 teams — and Oklahoma State’s resume speaks for itself. Of course, so does its one loss on the road against Iowa State. It’s tough to be perfect, though, and college football’s current postseason format is one that demands either perfection, or the next best alternative. But we won’t travel down that road again. Y’all already know how we feel about the BCS.

What we have in the meantime is water cooler debate, especially if Alabama can find a way to knock off top-ranked LSU. The Tide, the Cowboys… perhaps even the Tigers still, or Oregon after tonight’s Rose Bowl win… could all lay claim they’re still the best team in the land. One thing’s for sure: whichever team really is the best will be decided next to said water coolers. And on message boards. And blog sites like this one, rather than the place it rightfully should be.

OSU may not be the best team in college football, but they managed to come from behind against Stanford and the best player in college football Andrew Luck, and come out on the right side of the W-L column. That has at least earned them a shot to compete. Heck, they earned that shot when they won the Big 12 by destroying Oklahoma. But it’s a shot they won’t get.

And this isn’t about doing what will benefit Oklahoma State.

This is about doing what will benefit college football.
    www.myspace.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    WOW! those were some games yesterday!

lost both but what a fight!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    norm wrote:
    great game! go ducks!!

14463889.jpg
    hey juggler.....isn't this fraudulent for a USC fan to be rooting for the ducks?

I doubt snoop dogg does it. :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    after all those great games yesterday, we get some fraudulent (there's that word again) BCS bowls coming up (Va tech, clemson, etc.) and then the shitty "championship" :x

I should probably quit watching while I'm ahead.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    first seven loss season for ohio state since '97.........1897 :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mark richt's OT strategy was indefensible. blame him, not the kicker.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    is there a worse way to crown a champion than the way college football does it? i know i've said it a bunch of times but i absolutely hate the bcs.

I deleted a lot of what you said for the sake of space, but agree with you. Oklahoma State should have been in the National Championship. I have my doubts over whether they would have won, but they deserved to be there more than Alabama. I still can't get over the fact that Alabama didn't even play in the Conference Championship, yet get to play in the National Championship. Essentially they got rewarded for losing to LSU and got a bye during Conference Championship week, then get to play in the National Championship. That's one of the dumbest things I've seen in my years of watching football.

The BCS will never change though. The system is set in its way, and makes too much money for anybody to make any radical changes. From a sports standpoint it is completely broken, but from a business standpoint it works. And that's really all that matters. The only changes we'll likely see is more bowl games being added. I can see a future where every team in the nation gets to play in a bowl game.
    The Fixer wrote:

Really?! College kickers miss 24 yard field goals. NFL kickers regularly make 50+ yard field goals. I really don't think that's because the hash marks are wider. Did you see some of the snaps today? The PK's did some marvelous work. I think it was the Michigan St PKer who did some fine work today.

there are 32 NFL kickers and upwards of 110 college kickers. I'm not comparing the talent of the two, to do so would be stupid.

watched all the games today. I told my wife the stanford kicker looked like he was going to cry before his first miss. that dude looked like he had seen a ghost. gotta remember that some of these guys are 18, 19 year old kids in pressure situations for the first time in their lives. I think it's fascinating watching them deal with these pressures.

college sports are so much better than the pros. it's not even close
    imalive wrote:
    after all those great games yesterday, we get some fraudulent (there's that word again) BCS bowls coming up (Va tech, clemson, etc.) and then the shitty "championship" :x

I should probably quit watching while I'm ahead.

don't forget michigan

I think all of these bcs matchups are good. Except for arkansas, who I think wins by 30
    imalive wrote:
    mark richt's OT strategy was indefensible. blame him, not the kicker.

him running the ball on 3rd down (in regulation, up 7, 2 mins left) was the weakest play call I have seen in a while.

I deleted a lot of what you said for the sake of space, but agree with you. Oklahoma State should have been in the National Championship. I have my doubts over whether they would have won, but they deserved to be there more than Alabama. I still can't get over the fact that Alabama didn't even play in the Conference Championship, yet get to play in the National Championship. Essentially they got rewarded for losing to LSU and got a bye during Conference Championship week, then get to play in the National Championship. That's one of the dumbest things I've seen in my years of watching football.

The BCS will never change though. The system is set in its way, and makes too much money for anybody to make any radical changes. From a sports standpoint it is completely broken, but from a business standpoint it works. And that's really all that matters. The only changes we'll likely see is more bowl games being added. I can see a future where every team in the nation gets to play in a bowl game.

$$$$$$$$$$$$
    www.myspace.com
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    great game! go ducks!!

14463889.jpg
    hey juggler.....isn't this fraudulent for a USC fan to be rooting for the ducks?

well he's pulling for his home conference though...
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:

100% agree with the fixer. take the talent out of the equation, and it's harder to kick a college fg, beacsue the hash lines are much wider. on short fg's the angles are alot more extreme
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    great game! go ducks!!

14463889.jpg

well he's pulling for his home conference though...

go to a bowl game, you gotta pick sides.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i wonder if norm was blinded by those shiny chrome helmets :think:
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i wonder if norm was blinded by those shiny chrome helmets :think:

they looked awesome in person...watching on tv they looked more green from the reflection from the unis

and fuck yeah i'm rooting for a) pac 12 and b) my oldest nephew goes there...but that's as far as it goes...next years pac12 championship at the coliseum will see the ducks get shot down :)
    more importantly....today is the first day of the Urban era.

hopefully, he can teach Miller to throw and he can find some LB's that can play.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    the "Big" 10 is looking strong, huh? :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11