Options

NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    the entire big east sucked this year in football. none of the them deserve to be in a premium bowl game.

if there was a 16 team tourny, they'd be like the 14th seed and only because each confrence would get a rep.

anyways, i'll be taking OK for a lot of points in my confidence picks. i think there 35 bowls this year, so i will be putting at least 30 points on OK. most likely more, but i need to dig into the games a bit more be for i commit
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    OSU v Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    mickeyrat wrote:

a most interesting matchup. outside of the BCS bowl, this might be the best match up in the big games.

OSU has a solid seconday, with a pair of outstanding corners. the thing that worries me from a defense perspective, is the lack of a pass rush. the D line didn't get many sacks this year.

i'll have to dig more into arkansas to see what they are all about.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    hey look, the uconn game is ranked as the 18th best game to watch

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... ID=1161735

life is good. :P

best of luck. please make it competitve for us bowl watchers.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:
    hey look, the uconn game is ranked as the 18th best game to watch

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... ID=1161735

life is good. :P

best of luck. please make it competitve for us bowl watchers.
    Awesome.

It'll be a good game.

How is OU's run D? I'm just asking because UConn has one of the top rushers in the country with Jordan Todman and if OU's run D is iffy, it could be a long day for OU.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... yoff120610

potential playoff matchups....if only

fyi, Uconn would be the 14th seed in a 16 team playoff :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    it appears OK doesn't have the best rush defense. we'll see.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

a most interesting matchup. outside of the BCS bowl, this might be the best match up in the big games.

OSU has a solid seconday, with a pair of outstanding corners. the thing that worries me from a defense perspective, is the lack of a pass rush. the D line didn't get many sacks this year.

i'll have to dig more into arkansas to see what they are all about.

ryan mallet is an absolute beast (the ark QB). he is 6'8 and he throws lasers. their RB knile davis is nasty too. This should be a good game...bobby petrino is usually pretty good with a lot of time to prepare. I like Arkansas in this one (Ohio st is laying 3).
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

And you obviously don't know the Wisconsin Badgers. hehehe

sure I do. I watch a ton of college football. wisconsin looked great against indiana and NW...tcu is better than any team in that crap conference. Including wisconsin and ohio state.

TCU will be getting points and I will be loading up on the frogs

TCU is favored in this game. I guess vegas realizes that the big 10 sucks. Son of a bitch
  • Options
    hopefully OSU recent ownage of MI carry's over to former MI QB's. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

And you obviously don't know the Wisconsin Badgers. hehehe

sure I do. I watch a ton of college football. wisconsin looked great against indiana and NW...tcu is better than any team in that crap conference. Including wisconsin and ohio state.

TCU is favored in this game. I guess vegas realizes that the big 10 sucks. Son of a bitch

wow. i'm suprised by this.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

wow. i'm suprised by this.

people that don't watch a lot of games don't realize how good TCU and Boise were this year. Either of those teams is capable of beating anyone in the country. I like betting the smaller schools in the bowls because you know they are gonna play their asses off. They go into these bowl games with chips on their shoulders and a lot to prove. They usually play well in these big games.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,395
    College Football sucks. Temple, 8-4 and with a victory over "BCS-Bowl Bound" UConn ( :roll: ) is not going to any of the 400 bowl games this year.

I mean, last year I schlepped to 24-degree RFK Stadium to see the freakin' Golden Eagle Bankcorp Bowl or whatever the fuck it was called. Oh well, guess I ain't going anywhere this year. Probably wasn't going anyway with a 3-month old in the house.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Yeah Badgers!

I might be the only one outside of the sate of Wisconsin to be pulling for UW to beat TCU in the Granddaddy January 1st.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    College Football sucks. Temple, 8-4 and with a victory over "BCS-Bowl Bound" UConn ( :roll: ) is not going to any of the 400 bowl games this year.

I mean, last year I schlepped to 24-degree RFK Stadium to see the freakin' Golden Eagle Bankcorp Bowl or whatever the fuck it was called. Oh well, guess I ain't going anywhere this year. Probably wasn't going anyway with a 3-month old in the house.

Temple beat Uconn this year?

I saw a stat a couple of weeks ago that blew me away. During his tenure at Temple, Al Golden has never beaten a team that finished the season with a winning record.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    The Fixer wrote:

I saw a stat a couple of weeks ago that blew me away. During his tenure at Temple, Al Golden has never beaten a team that finished the season with a winning record.

http://deadspin.com/5707117/weekend-win ... med-temple
  • Options
    haha, that is funny shit. especially the last sentence
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,395
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

http://deadspin.com/5707117/weekend-win ... med-temple

Yeah, it saves 4 hours of my life that I would've spent watching a crappy game. That game last year was absolutely miserable. The only highlight was the vendor selling hot cocoa with an airplane bottle of vanilla vodka on the side. Boy is that place a ghetto.

Yes, Temple beat UConn. I was there. It's always nice to beat the team that supplanted us in the Big Least.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Uconn had a great BCS worthy seasons with losses to Temple and a Michigan. Put up only 10 points on that Mi defense which is one of the worst in all of college football.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Report: TCU Can Only Enter Big East If They Bring Girls

December 6, 2010

FORT WORTH, TX—Texas Christian University has been invited to join the Big East athletic conference, an opportunity that would grant them higher visibility and prestige, as long as they "bring some of those hot Texas girls along," Commissioner John Marinatto said Monday. "We are happy to welcome the Horned Frogs to the Big East, as they represent a fine sporting tradition, and also we could really use some new girls around here," Marinatto told the assembled reporters at a press conference. "Boston College had those cute little Catholic girls, but they left when the Eagles went to the ACC, and we could really use some nice Texas-cowgirl trim. Frankly, West Virginia doesn't give it up as much as you'd think, even though they'll do just about anything once you get them liquored up." TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte said he was happy to hook the Big East up, explaining that the conference's automatic BCS bowl bid was more than compensation for Syracuse girls being "totally flat."
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    norm wrote:
    Report: TCU Can Only Enter Big East If They Bring Girls

December 6, 2010

FORT WORTH, TX—Texas Christian University has been invited to join the Big East athletic conference, an opportunity that would grant them higher visibility and prestige, as long as they "bring some of those hot Texas girls along," Commissioner John Marinatto said Monday. "We are happy to welcome the Horned Frogs to the Big East, as they represent a fine sporting tradition, and also we could really use some new girls around here," Marinatto told the assembled reporters at a press conference. "Boston College had those cute little Catholic girls, but they left when the Eagles went to the ACC, and we could really use some nice Texas-cowgirl trim. Frankly, West Virginia doesn't give it up as much as you'd think, even though they'll do just about anything once you get them liquored up." TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte said he was happy to hook the Big East up, explaining that the conference's automatic BCS bowl bid was more than compensation for Syracuse girls being "totally flat."

good work norm
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    If you read Jerry Palm's scoop Monday, then you know we came close to the end of the Bowl Championship Series.

Palm discovered, by simply checking the math, that Wes Colley's computer rankings -- one of six computer indexes used to determine BCS standings -- were wrong in the final BCS standings. It was a minor glitch -- Colley missed the Appalachian State-Western Illinois score. Minor -- this time. It caused a switch in the standings between No. 11 Boise State and No. 10 LSU.

But what if the mistake had changed the order of the No. 2 and No. 3 ranked teams? In other words, changed which team was playing in the national championship game. The outcry would have burned the BCS to the ground. Trust me, I know these people. You thought the commissioners were upset with the Cam Newton NCAA decision last week? They have actual control over what occurred on Monday. Imagine BCS director Bill Hancock telling No. 2 Oregon, "Woops, sorry. Our bad. TCU is really supposed to play for the national championship."

Court battles would have been the beginning of the controversy. Picture Oregon having to get a court injunction to play for the national championship. In the end the BCS would have ended. It would have lost total credibility. I know, I know, it doesn't have much credibility with the public now. But at least most of us accept Oregon-Auburn as the "right" national championship game. After this kind of screw-up, I imagine the bowls would have advocated a switch back to the old system.

At least in the arranged bowl marriages of the past, schools had somewhat of a say in things. This is potential death by arithmetic. Boise's elevation did enhance, in some small way, the Mountain West's quest for automatic qualifier status in 2012 and 2013. Boise's recent success will be applied to the Mountain West during a four-year evaluation of the BCS worth of all conferences.

Suddenly we're all thinking the same thing: How many BCS errors haven't been caught? Are the right teams even playing?

The only reason Palm caught Colley's error is that Colley makes his formula available. None of the other five masters of BCS computer indexes release theirs, not even to the BCS. That's right, the BCS assumes their numbers are right. Colley was wrong because he relied on a database assembled by fellow BCS computer honcho Peter Wolfe. Wolfe told me that Colley had picked up his scores before they were updated with the App State-Western Illinois game.

Kind of adds new meaning to the BCS motto: Every Game Counts.

This is a database, Wolfe said, that he meticulously maintains and is cross-checked by Jeff Sagarin, probably the most well known of the BCS computer guys.

"This is my 10th year, every year there are 4,000 games. That's 40,000 games," said Wolfe from Los Angeles where he is an associate clinical professor at the UCLA medical school. "I do my best. I'm sorry this happened. In general this is unfortunate, we're all human. I do this because I'm interested in it. If my name is on something, I want it to be right."

Hancock was in touch with Wolfe Monday asking what had happened. There was a subsequent BCS release Monday night that quoted Hancock: "I was deeply disturbed when I learned about this today. This error should not have happened and is unacceptable." Hancock added that the issue will be "near the top of the agenda" during the spring BCS meetings.

Is the potential there to infect the whole system with bad math? Not in this case. Wolfe's scores are accessible to anyone on his website. Colley just happened to use the numbers before they had been updated. The core issue here remains that aside from Colley, the computer guys do not reveal their formulas.

"It is something we have developed," Wolfe said. "It does have some [proprietary] value."

Like me, you're probably wondering why the BCS can't find six guys who will make their formulas public.

"You're right," Wolfe said. "It is trust."

With a national championship now potentially at stake, the BCS, then, is asking us for what dwindling trust is left.

"We don't know if any of these guys are right ...," Palm said. "Could you imagine if we had to change who played in the BCS title game today?"

Already have. It would have been a disaster, leading to a real death to the BCS.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 2/26286831
  • Options
    Playoffs
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Playoffs

mora.jpg
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Yeah Badgers!

I might be the only one outside of the sate of Wisconsin to be pulling for UW to beat TCU in the Granddaddy January 1st.

Hell yeah, can't wait to destroy those purple pieces of shit. Can't believe they are favored. Easy money for me I guess. At least Boise beat someone good in Va Tech. TCU's wins over Utah (who lost to ND) and Oregon State and Baylor don't mean garbage. Does TCU deserve to be in a BCS game, and even the championship game (had Auburn or Oregon lost) yes. But they sure as hell shouldn't be favored in the Rose Bowl or in the championship game if they were in that either.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    i'm rooting for wisconsin.

i'lll be rooting for all the big ten teams, except for that one up north.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    74.5 O/U under in the championship game.

pinball game
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    81 wrote:
    Playoffs

computers. horrendous.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight