The wedding thread

Comments

• Helen, we're now also booked in to the hotel... couldn't resist that sale ;)

If you need a hand with owt, let me know. It's getting close now and I know there must be stuff you haven't done...

As for gifts... god knows. We're asking for money to pay for our already planned out honeymoon. Maybe ask for vouchers for something? Another holiday or stuff for the house?

What have you got left to do?

(damn, feels like I haven't talked weddings in aaaaaaages! :? )
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Claireack wrote:
    Are you planning on having any building work etc done on the house? B&Q vouchers?
    We don't own the house so ideally we'd like to start moving towards a deposit I spose... but there are still people who will want to buy us gifts and I completely understand that. I just can't think of any things we might want/need so people can buy us a gift :oops: . I'd rather they just pick something for us then. Ah, I don't know :oops:

I just got engaged and i'm 36 yrs old (never been married), But...
    Although we are in the very early stages of planning the wedding, I think i'm having the same troubles as you because I dont need 'things'. I could care less about gifts. However, I am paying for the wedding myself, and i'm just hoping some guests give cash/checks so i can repay some of the wedding costs. Not sure what do do either about a registry. I've been thinking of doing a very small registry so that people would be more inclined to give cash.. Is that rude?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,481
    We registered at Macys (similar to Marks/Spencers), Williams-Sonoma and Crate & Barrel. We listed items with a wide array of price levels. They make it easy for your guests to order gifts and have them directly shipped to you. They also have very liberal return policies. If you are planning a honeymoon right after the wedding, make sure to divert delivery so that the parcels don't sit outside your house while you are away!

If you don't register for enough items, so people may chose their own gifts, which can be totally useless in many cases!

If you want to be sneaky, you can register with a store that gives cash refunds, and simply return all the gifts you receive and get the cash!

As I recall, I think there are wedding gift registry websites where you can request cash as well.

If you need a hand with owt, let me know. It's getting close now and I know there must be stuff you haven't done...

As for gifts... god knows. We're asking for money to pay for our already planned out honeymoon. Maybe ask for vouchers for something? Another holiday or stuff for the house?

Of COURSE there's stuff we haven't done... there's fucking LOADS of stuff we haven't done :mrgreen: and it's less than three months now! I'd be happy if we had all the legal/religious stuff sorted since that's the main thing... but we DON'T. I still have to ask the local priest here for our letters of freedom and I'm procrastinating cos I've never met him and never been to mass here and now I'm just gonna pop up from nowhere and ask him for a really really big favour. I decided to go to mass on Saturday and show my face first but then I chickened out at the last mo :oops: imagined walking into the church and everyone turning and staring trying to figure out who I am and stuff so I had an attack of agorophobia and stayed at home and got drunk instead.

We've yet to actually BOOK photographer, cars, florist... have no idea who's making the cake and I really really really really really need some fucking SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind who's doing my make up and where we're actually staying the days surrounding the wedding... oh we could do with booking our ferry any day now too. Speaking of suits... yep, they're not done either!

There... that felt good! :D :oops: :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Claireack wrote:
    Are you planning on having any building work etc done on the house? B&Q vouchers?
    We don't own the house so ideally we'd like to start moving towards a deposit I spose... but there are still people who will want to buy us gifts and I completely understand that. I just can't think of any things we might want/need so people can buy us a gift :oops: . I'd rather they just pick something for us then. Ah, I don't know :oops:

Although we are in the very early stages of planning the wedding, I think i'm having the same troubles as you because I dont need 'things'. I could care less about gifts. However, I am paying for the wedding myself, and i'm just hoping some guests give cash/checks so i can repay some of the wedding costs. Not sure what do do either about a registry. I've been thinking of doing a very small registry so that people would be more inclined to give cash.. Is that rude?
    I don't know... I've done plenty of research and it seems some people even consider a list rude so we're probably not gonna please everyone anyway! I'm just glad people are turning up to be honest... it feels rude and presumptious to even think about gifts. But yeh, when I moved over here in the first place, I realised that I don't like 'stuff'... it just weighs ya down :oops:

Joe, the bottom drawer website does stuff like that where people pick gifts and all and then at the end you can decide to just get it all in cash... but it costs like £85 or something. Trailfinders have a wedding gift thing.. that might be a good idea :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

Of COURSE there's stuff we haven't done... there's fucking LOADS of stuff we haven't done :mrgreen: and it's less than three months now! I'd be happy if we had all the legal/religious stuff sorted since that's the main thing... but we DON'T. I still have to ask the local priest here for our letters of freedom and I'm procrastinating cos I've never met him and never been to mass here and now I'm just gonna pop up from nowhere and ask him for a really really big favour. I decided to go to mass on Saturday and show my face first but then I chickened out at the last mo :oops: imagined walking into the church and everyone turning and staring trying to figure out who I am and stuff so I had an attack of agorophobia and stayed at home and got drunk instead.

We've yet to actually BOOK photographer, cars, florist... have no idea who's making the cake and I really really really really really need some fucking SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind who's doing my make up and where we're actually staying the days surrounding the wedding... oh we could do with booking our ferry any day now too. Speaking of suits... yep, they're not done either!

There... that felt good! :D :oops: :mrgreen:

Holyshitballs Batman! :shock:

I've done more than you and our wedding's just over 10 months away! :lol:

I WISH I could make your cake, I really do but I just wouldn't be able to get it over there :(

I think you and I should get together soon missus... I'll knock this procrastination out of ye! ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

.... and I really really really really really need some fucking SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just focus on the shoes! Once you have the perfect shoes, everything falls into place. :mrgreen:

Registries/Cash gifts - there are loads of sites online that will have those kind of things, such as http://justthething.co.uk/ (and many others in all countries). Finding the right wording on the invite/to join to the invite - the likes of 'your presence is what is most important to us, but if you wish to spoil us with a gift.....' (loads of sites as well suggesting wording, etc), a link could be given to your 'website' or just a bank account number.

I know some think it may sound crass but it is done soooooooooooo much now as more and more couples live together before and do have all they need.
  • Holyshitballs Batman! :shock:

I've done more than you and our wedding's just over 10 months away! :lol:

I WISH I could make your cake, I really do but I just wouldn't be able to get it over there :(

I think you and I should get together soon missus... I'll knock this procrastination out of ye! ;)
    Oh no, I wasn't hinting for a baker. Cake's not TOO bad... I was hoping my brother would do it but he's terrified of fucking up so he politely declined but said that he'd take care of a cake for us anyway. In the meantime apparently my sister makes great ones so I might suggest it to her instead. I think I'd rather be able to say somebody made it, rather than somebody bought it!

Yep, get your arse over here and kick me into shape :oops: PLEASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • redrock wrote:

.... and I really really really really really need some fucking SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just focus on the shoes! Once you have the perfect shoes, everything falls into place. :mrgreen:

Registries/Cash gifts - there are loads of sites online that will have those kind of things, such as http://justthething.co.uk/ (and many others in all countries). Finding the right wording on the invite/to join to the invite - the likes of 'your presence is what is most important to us, but if you wish to spoil us with a gift.....' (loads of sites as well suggesting wording, etc), a link could be given to your 'website' or just a bank account number.

I know some think it may sound crass but it is done soooooooooooo much now as more and more couples live together before and do have all they need.
    Perfect shoes perfect shoes perfect shoes... okies, I'm in the zone now :D I just haven't a clue really!

I wasn't gonna put any gift info on the invites as it's really not important... it's only now that people have started to ASK I realise that I probably should have put something with the invites :mrgreen: . There are some people who I've no problem telling we'd prefer cash but there's others that I spose it would be nice to have some kinda list. Thank you though... I'll have a look at that one.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    redrock wrote:

Just focus on the shoes! Once you have the perfect shoes, everything falls into place. :mrgreen: .
    Perfect shoes perfect shoes perfect shoes... okies, I'm in the zone now :D

There you go! I would have made such a good wedding planner! Missed my vocation! :mrgreen:
  • redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    Just focus on the shoes! Once you have the perfect shoes, everything falls into place. :mrgreen: .
    Perfect shoes perfect shoes perfect shoes... okies, I'm in the zone now :D

There you go! I would have made such a good wedding planner! Missed my vocation! :mrgreen:
    It's not too late... you can start with mine :mrgreen: off ya go! :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075

I don't know... I've done plenty of research and it seems some people even consider a list rude so we're probably not gonna please everyone anyway! I'm just glad people are turning up to be honest... it feels rude and presumptious to even think about gifts. But yeh, when I moved over here in the first place, I realised that I don't like 'stuff'... it just weighs ya down :oops:

Joe, the bottom drawer website does stuff like that where people pick gifts and all and then at the end you can decide to just get it all in cash... but it costs like £85 or something. Trailfinders have a wedding gift thing.. that might be a good idea :mrgreen:

society is past the idea of lists being rude. any kind of list indeed. the reason for the list is to give your guest a choice without ruining the surprise. it also, well theoretically anyways, eliminates the possibility of getting four microwaves and 6 blenders....
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Of COURSE there's stuff we haven't done... there's fucking LOADS of stuff we haven't done :mrgreen: and it's less than three months now! I'd be happy if we had all the legal/religious stuff sorted since that's the main thing... but we DON'T. I still have to ask the local priest here for our letters of freedom and I'm procrastinating cos I've never met him and never been to mass here and now I'm just gonna pop up from nowhere and ask him for a really really big favour. I decided to go to mass on Saturday and show my face first but then I chickened out at the last mo :oops: imagined walking into the church and everyone turning and staring trying to figure out who I am and stuff so I had an attack of agorophobia and stayed at home and got drunk instead.

So we've got an appointment with the priest tomorrow night to get our letters :mrgreen: . Still have the appointment with the photographer so can't book til we've met him. We've booked our car :mrgreen: . I'll call into the florist when I'm over in a couple of weeks and talk them into cutting their prices dramatically. My sister's making the cake now... for definite :mrgreen: . Still don't have my shoes :oops: but I now know who's doing my make up and we can practice plenty. Still haven't booked our accommodation or ferry though but we're gonna leave that til closer the time. Suits still not done :roll:

Getting there!!!!!!!!! :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Sounds like you're doing really well!! :D
  • Claireack wrote:
    Sounds like you're doing really well!! :D
    Yeh, I'll be happy when I've got the legal/religious stuff sorted cos that's all we NEED really (and the shoes :mrgreen: ). I could do without all the other stuff... it's other people insisting they're important! :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • So we've got an appointment with the priest tomorrow night to get our letters :mrgreen: . Still have the appointment with the photographer so can't book til we've met him. We've booked our car :mrgreen: . I'll call into the florist when I'm over in a couple of weeks and talk them into cutting their prices dramatically. My sister's making the cake now... for definite :mrgreen: . Still don't have my shoes :oops: but I now know who's doing my make up and we can practice plenty. Still haven't booked our accommodation or ferry though but we're gonna leave that til closer the time. Suits still not done :roll:

Getting there!!!!!!!!! :oops:
    MET the priest... and another one bites the dust :mrgreen:

Getting even MORE there!

It was pretty nerve wracking but he was really really nice so that made it a bit easier.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Hmmm :oops: emailed the florist we were going for to see if we could get an appointment for when we're over... turns out she's fully booked and wished me the best of luck :shock: so now we're back to square 1 with flowers :shock: and it's my least favourite of the stuff to organise cos I haven't got a bloody clue about them :?

Anyone ever been to a wedding without flowers? Guess it's an easy way to save a few hundred :):D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    I separated from my partner 6 mths back, we were engaged had a house and every thing then it went to shit. Everytime I see or hear something about a wedding, it reminds me of her and I fall into a deep depression.......thanks HH....jk :ugeek:
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • We just had a bit of a flying visit and got LOADS sorted. Saw the photographer and he's now booked and agreed to even more than I was hoping for. We've had our tasting and decided on our menu :D . My Dad's giving us even more money than he agreed to. My niece, who's performing at the ceremony, came third in the county final of schools got talent and qualified for the provincial final... she was brilliant. The act who won are her friends and are also performing for us, not saying who or what they are though but they're bloody brilliant :mrgreen:

We also met the priest and have given him all our paperwork and the oh's dad has agreed to do our order of service which we need to finalise.

Really coming along now :P still need shoes and suits and flowers though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    When's the big day, HH?
    sorry if you posted it already...
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    ....and I really really really really really need some fucking SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....d cos that's all we NEED really (and the shoes :mrgreen: ).

The shoes, Helen, the shoes!!! What did I tell you??? My whole wedding planner skills going to pots here! :mrgreen:
  • Lizard wrote:
    When's the big day, HH?
    3rd April... so about 8 weeks left or something! :mrgreen:

Red I know I know... I messed up ok? But I'm back on the wagon now and shoes are the only important thing :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,481
    We just had a bit of a flying visit and got LOADS sorted. Saw the photographer and he's now booked and agreed to even more than I was hoping for. We've had our tasting and decided on our menu :D . My Dad's giving us even more money than he agreed to. My niece, who's performing at the ceremony, came third in the county final of schools got talent and qualified for the provincial final... she was brilliant. The act who won are her friends and are also performing for us, not saying who or what they are though but they're bloody brilliant :mrgreen:

We also met the priest and have given him all our paperwork and the oh's dad has agreed to do our order of service which we need to finalise.

Always nice to get a lot sorted in a short time! Good job!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    so helen is the mexico trip your honeymoon? that is where we're going...on march 20th.

i think we have most of our stuff done. just waiting on the rsvp's to come back in. i gotta get fitted for the tux in the next couple weeks. wanna coordinate with the dj about the music.

the only issue we are having is who to walk the gifts up to the altar. :lol: catholic wedding but most of our friends and family don't seem to be catholic. then there is the issue of asking one of my cousins to do it (i'm not close to them much) and feeling like i am slighting the other cousins......eh, not a huge deal. just something i didn't anticipate.

good luck
    www.myspace.com

the only issue we are having is who to walk the gifts up to the altar. :lol:

One of the little servers (or whatever they are called now)? Or would that ruffle the feathers of the very catholic wanting a member of the family to do it?

Helen - good to know you are back on track ;):mrgreen:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    redrock wrote:

the only issue we are having is who to walk the gifts up to the altar. :lol:

One of the little servers (or whatever they are called now)? Or would that ruffle the feathers of the very catholic wanting a member of the family to do it?

altar boy?

maybe... :think:
    www.myspace.com
    redrock wrote:

altar boy?

maybe... :think:

Yes - that's what I meant! I was being a bit more PC as they can be boys or girls, women or men! :mrgreen:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Lizard wrote:
    When's the big day, HH?
    3rd April... so about 8 weeks left or something! :mrgreen:

Red I know I know... I messed up ok? But I'm back on the wagon now and shoes are the only important thing :mrgreen:
    Oh wow--it IS Soon!!

and shoes should be easy to find!!! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    We just had a bit of a flying visit and got LOADS sorted. Saw the photographer and he's now booked and agreed to even more than I was hoping for. We've had our tasting and decided on our menu :D . My Dad's giving us even more money than he agreed to. My niece, who's performing at the ceremony, came third in the county final of schools got talent and qualified for the provincial final... she was brilliant. The act who won are her friends and are also performing for us, not saying who or what they are though but they're bloody brilliant :mrgreen:

Always nice to get a lot sorted in a short time! Good job!
    Thanks all :D I seem to be arranging everything in spurts... procrastinate, panic, get loads done, relax, procrastinate, panic, get.................. yeh yeh yeh, you get it :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • so helen is the mexico trip your honeymoon? that is where we're going...on march 20th.

i think we have most of our stuff done. just waiting on the rsvp's to come back in. i gotta get fitted for the tux in the next couple weeks. wanna coordinate with the dj about the music.

the only issue we are having is who to walk the gifts up to the altar. :lol: catholic wedding but most of our friends and family don't seem to be catholic. then there is the issue of asking one of my cousins to do it (i'm not close to them much) and feeling like i am slighting the other cousins......eh, not a huge deal. just something i didn't anticipate.

good luck
    Yep, Playa Del Carmen in May :mrgreen: SOOOOOOOOOOOOO can't wait!

Wow, you're getting really close then! I can't figure out if we need a dj or not :oops: . Our band have said they'll play as long as we want but that's potentially 5 hours... I don't know if anyone would WANT any band to play that long? It might be best they play 3 hours and leave us wanting more and then one of them could do dj for an hour and half or something?

There's a LOT I never anticipated about a wedding :oops: although we don't need gift bearers cos we're just going for the ceremony and not the mass too... but we need to sort out our readings and hymns and stuff. Gift bearers don't have to be catholic though, you could ask anyone to do it and just tell them what they have to do?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life