ATTENTION OLD PEOPLE

12346»

Comments

• Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Okay, I'm 55 and my eldest sister is 64. She refuses to get and/or use a debit card! When I ask her why, she claims her bank won't let her have one on the account she uses, (she is my mom's guardian and they have a joint account). I know my sister is lying because I use the same bank as her and I have a joint account with my bf for the same reasons as my sister does with my mom.
    It irritates me so much when I go shopping with her. Not only does she write checks, she usually screws them up and has to write two of them to get it right! I can see the displeasure in the people behind us and I don't blame them.
    I know she just doesn't want to change. There are other areas of her life that she stays with the old fashion stuff and doesn't even want to hear about any easier way to do things.
    There are times I have to do the shopping and because she won't get a debit card, I am stuck writing a damn check. People look at me like I am some old lady refusing to get with the times.
    I know as I age I really don't want to change some things, but when it comes to infringing on others, I do change.
    I do not ever want to become one of those types of old people!!!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2010
    norm wrote:
    and another thing...just because you made it to the rip old age of 114, it doesn't give you carte blanche to drive anyway you like...i'd like to be an old person one day too!

I will be steering my gigantic late model American sedan at 15 miles and hour right down the middle of the street. Better watch out, Norm, sometimes I'll be driving on the sidewalk.

All you'll see is the top of my blue hair behind the steering wheel because I will have shrunken to the size of a koala by then.

And you know that left blinker will be flashing while I take the right turn. In a really wide arc. At 5 mph.

:lol::lol::lol: !!!

this thread just seems to reach out and grab my attention all the time.. ~
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I go to my bank at the beginning of the week and cash a cheque. Once I have payed for food and bills, what money is left is budgeted down to the last dollar.
    If I run out of cash, I 'book' my shopping up in town, and at the end of the week, pay for it with my cheque......then cash a cheque again.
    This way I am very mindfull of what I'm spending and a 6c cheque beats $2. for every transaction.

Us oldies are sometimes a little slow and confused because we are wearing out...
    so line up, wait, and as we invented the debit card stop complaining and be respectful to your elders. :mrgreen:

But I do agree with the bad smell and slow driving....who does that???? :?
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Everytime I see the title of this thread I keep coming in thinking there must be some information in her for me. Then I get in and realise I've been in here before and it isn't an important message for old people so I leave again. I've done this three times today - guess I must be getting old.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Jo wrote:
    I go to my bank at the beginning of the week and cash a cheque. Once I have payed for food and bills, what money is left is budgeted down to the last dollar.
    If I run out of cash, I 'book' my shopping up in town, and at the end of the week, pay for it with my cheque......then cash a cheque again.
    This way I am very mindfull of what I'm spending and a 6c cheque beats $2. for every transaction.

Us oldies are sometimes a little slow and confused because we are wearing out...
    so line up, wait, and as we invented the debit card stop complaining and be respectful to your elders. :mrgreen:

But I do agree with the bad smell and slow driving....who does that???? :?

My thing with checks is: the DATE isn't gonna change, the STORE NAME isn't gonna change, your SIGNATURE isn't gonna change...why wait until the checker rings everything up to start writing the check?...while you're waiting, fill out all that stuff! I go to the self check out now...unless there's an old person with 3 carts full of stuff trying to figure out how to use the scanner...then I go to the lonely looking checker with no one in line. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    Claireack wrote:
    Everytime I see the title of this thread I keep coming in thinking there must be some information in her for me. Then I get in and realise I've been in here before and it isn't an important message for old people so I leave again. I've done this three times today - guess I must be getting old.

i can't remember how many times i have clicked on the same thread title before(not this one of course!),but without remembering i had read it before.. until a word or two zaps me back a reminder~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Claireack wrote:

i can't remember how many times i have clicked on the same thread title before(not this one of course!),but without remembering i had read it before.. until a word or two zaps me back a reminder~

Thank god it's not just me :D
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I never have this problem as here where I live nowhere accepts checks anymore. It surpises me that it's not like that everywhere for security reasons.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Claireack wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Thank god it's not just me :D

Yep, I do the same thing. I keep thinking they're directing this at me. These kids nowadays, they have no respect for their elders.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    As for who you refer to as old......

did you realize there is such an incident as electricity going out where you cannot complete your transaction?

did you realize that not paying with recycled checks puts people out of business?

do you realize plastic will be the new money and is this statement about how you have no patience for an elderly person whom does not feel comfortable with technology? Who are you judging?