ATTENTION OLD PEOPLE

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I was buying beer yesterday and I wondered what took the man in front of me (not elderly) so long...I was shocked that the liquor store allowed him to write a check. Often small businesses won't take a check. When I grocery shop for my mom, I have to use her checks *unless it's my treat* and then I have to sign a form for the cashier saying I got the check back. It clears immediately. But it does take too long. Then I have to write another check in the back of the store at the pharmacy when I pick up her medicine. But the good news is, I'm old and I use a credit card at the store or cash when I shop. One day my mother in law said, "did you know that your check clears immediately at Walmart?" (that's her grocery store) :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    norm wrote:
    and anyone else that pays for groceries with a check...a debit card works exactly like a check and takes 3/4ths of the time to checkout!!!!!!!!!!

one day, you will be old...and it's probably soon since old men are often impatient :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    norm wrote:
    I have a debit card I'll have you know!

you're not 65+

are you?? :P :lol:

Not yet. But "old' is relative. I've seen threads where posters thought over 40 was old. So thought maybe you were one of them. I expected you to say "some 40 something" old woman...... Ha! I was ready to put you in your place. :D
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,029
    norm wrote:
    I have a debit card I'll have you know!

you're not 65+

are you?? :P :lol:

Not yet. But "old' is relative. I've seen threads where posters thought over 40 was old. So thought maybe you were one of them. I expected you to say "some 40 something" old woman...... Ha! I was ready to put you in your place. :D
    Normy IS in his 40's , the "old fuddy duddy" . :mrgreen::lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,696
    I'm still trying to decide which is worst, the old people writing a cheque or them sifting through their wallet/purse for the exact change.
    I was at the corner store the other day and the old fellow was buying some scratch tickets, paying with the change he had and the cashier literally had to count it out for him because he wasn't sharp enough to do it himself. That just about sentt me off the deep end.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I think my mom always wrote checks. But she was pretty efficient and moved quickly. I think. I hope.

I always end up behind the old ladies at CVS/Rite-Aid (drugstores) with coupons. With expired coupons or they can't find the thing they have the coupon for or they've got the wrong item ("No, ma'am, the coupon is for the 150 count, not the 50 count."). Oh my God, that makes me insane.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Enkidu wrote:
    I think my mom always wrote checks. But she was pretty efficient and moved quickly. I think. I hope.

I always end up behind the old ladies at CVS/Rite-Aid (drugstores) with coupons. With expired coupons or they can't find the thing they have the coupon for or they've got the wrong item ("No, ma'am, the coupon is for the 150 count, not the 50 count."). Oh my God, that makes me insane.
    when this happens to me
    i always pull up a seat and light a joint
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,029
    heres some perspective, one day (whatever may or maynot be out there willing) we will be pissing off a couple generations behind us ourselves!!! ;):mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    norm wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    ATTENTION OLD PEOPLE,
    thanks for having the patience the young have not found yet :mrgreen:

hasn't a thing to do with patience...has to do with using antiquated forms of payment when there are clearly better, more efficient forms of payment...it's time people stop thinking there are the only ones in the world and think of their fellow man...me and the 5 people behind me shouldn't have had to wait that long when there was no need to...and it wasn't like this was some 87 year old who can barley see or anything...she was mid 60's, looked pretty healthy...no reason, other than she is stuck in her old ways, she couldn't have paid with a card
    One must remember we too will be old one day. God knows what changes 20 or 30 years will bring for you when you are old and set in your ways. Old dogs should not necessarily be required to learn new tricks, they deserve a kind pat on the head whether they chose to or not.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    chime wrote:
    I don't think there are any supermarkets here (UK) that still accept cheques ... we will make people advance :lol:
    True. We are advanced, we are the master race.

I can't stand those that when they've paid take an eternity shoving everything back in the right pocket and eventually leaving. It's a "look at me, look at me" scenario. F**k 'em!!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    norm wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    ATTENTION OLD PEOPLE,

hasn't a thing to do with patience...has to do with using antiquated forms of payment when there are clearly better, more efficient forms of payment...it's time people stop thinking there are the only ones in the world and think of their fellow man...me and the 5 people behind me shouldn't have had to wait that long when there was no need to...and it wasn't like this was some 87 year old who can barley see or anything...she was mid 60's, looked pretty healthy...no reason, other than she is stuck in her old ways, she couldn't have paid with a card
    You're just bitter that she spurned your advances for a night on the town, you know 4PM early bird dinner, a nice drive with the left directional on, and home by 7:30PM for a night cap of prune juice.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I always pick the self checkout line because, frankly, I hate people and I especially hate other people handling my food and then bowling it down the belt.

So recently I'm at Stop & Shop, with my earbuds in, scanning my purchases. The song was RVM from one of the boots and as it built to the insanely fast section at the end I started scanning madly, actually shaking. I think I was trying to do it in time to the music. I must have looked like a maniac.

A cashier came over and started to bag a couple of my items. I said, "I'm all set with that, thank you!" And she looked startled and backed away.

That was when I realized that I had the volume so high that I had just shouted at her.

:oops:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I always pick the self checkout line because, frankly, I hate people and I especially hate other people handling my food and then bowling it down the belt.

So recently I'm at Stop & Shop, with my earbuds in, scanning my purchases. The song was RVM from one of the boots and as it built to the insanely fast section at the end I started scanning madly, actually shaking. I think I was trying to do it in time to the music. I must have looked like a maniac.

A cashier came over and started to bag a couple of my items. I said, "I'm all set with that, thank you!" And she looked startled and backed away.

That was when I realized that I had the volume so high that I had just shouted at her.

Hahahaahahaah... Been there done that :shifty:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

you are out of control
    :lolno:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

you are out of control
    :lolno:

Don't blame me. I'm old. Possibly even older than Norm and he's freaking ancient.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm no where near the old category, but I still write checks often for one reason only... Most places, they will still float. :lol:
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    When I get to the checkout, I take no notice of how long the people infront of me take.

When your waiting in line for a vital organ transplant, then you have something to winge about.

Talking as someone who is " OLD " and pays with a cheque from thier own bank account savings........I say get F*#Ked!

Smell the roses while you are so inconvienently waiting.

** storms off muttering crap about todays youth and how they want, want, want NOW!**.............

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a shop that will take your ' promised cheque?' anymore.....
    They stop taking personal cheques because not many people are left with money in the bank, therefore I am inconvenienced by THAT!
    Talk about taking away your civil rights! :twisted:
    ( Just for that, I'm going to take twice as long going through the checkout nextime, thanks for sharing)
  • grungegirl wrote:
    norm wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    ATTENTION OLD PEOPLE,

Sounds to me like it does have to do with patience. I mean really....why do you care if she uses the most modern way to pay for her merchandise? Is it because you are concerned for her financial well being? You care because you don't want to wait around while she pays LOL.....and I feel ya, I tend to be impatient myself sometimes but then I just remind myself that it's really just two stinking minutes out of my day and probably those two minutes aren't going to be life altering anyway.......I mean what am I doing that isn't going to be there two minutes later? If I need those two minutes that bad then I should have gotten off my ass a little sooner to go to the store so I wouldn't be in that situation.

i care because its f'in 98 degrees outside and its buy 2 get 2 free ice cream special!!! Move along q-tips!!
    old-lady-full-head.jpg
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    norm wrote:
    and anyone else that pays for groceries with a check...a debit card works exactly like a check and takes 3/4ths of the time to checkout!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Norm.. although them smelling of piss tends to annoy me more. ;)

also why do most old people talk really really slowly...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    I'm no where near the old category, but I still write checks often for one reason only... Most places, they will still float. :lol:
    :thumbup:
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    dunkman wrote:

also why do most old people talk really really slowly...
    I

don't

kn...............ow.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • norm wrote:
    i forgot to mention that while the checker was scanning her 2 items, she was writing her check...then he asks her for her discount card...yep, she had to write another check...then came the id check blah blah blah :roll:

oh yeah i forgot...this was the express, 15 items or less line :evil:
    Just Saturday I had one item, got in the express line behind a group of folks with one big buggy full of crap.
    Three people, each of them got their own shit out of the buggy, paid for it (one of them by check) and finally got the hell out of the way. I was about to go ape shit up in that joint!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    i always get stuck behind the old people.......

at PJ shows. Damn seniority.
    UpSideDown wrote:
    i always get stuck behind the old people.......

at PJ shows. Damn seniority.

See, now I think those of us who are >40 should be able to be up front even if we didn't join 10C until, say, 2008. After all, our eyesight and hearing are on the decline.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Old people suck at shopping.

I was behind some old women in a que and she was complaining because the king size chocolate bar that was on offer was too big and she wanted the smaller one for the same price !!!!!

WTF

Just eat half now and save the rest til later, give the rest to Agatha next door, give it to the dog, throw it away WHO CARES ITS FUCKIN' CHEAPER DICKHEAD. we're talking a 17p difference or some shit :twisted: :twisted:
    Hahahahahaha!!! :lol::lol:
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    norm wrote:
    hahaha... this is a great post. It should be stickied. :)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    today's society sucks..nobody carries cash anymore

charging a buck for a coffee...throw a few bills in your pocket

i've swiped for a 50 cent newspaper. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    jshin wrote:
    An old cut me off while driving one day last week...She was on her cell phone..Cut me off and then proceeded to turn left through a red light into on coming traffic..Hopefully she was checking her bank account balance.

that's every day here.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    BLACK35 wrote:
    I'm still trying to decide which is worst, the old people writing a cheque or them sifting through their wallet/purse for the exact change.
    I was at the corner store the other day and the old fellow was buying some scratch tickets, paying with the change he had and the cashier literally had to count it out for him because he wasn't sharp enough to do it himself. That just about sentt me off the deep end.

gf does the change. arrrrggggg.. stop it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    81 wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

gf does the change. arrrrggggg.. stop it

so you date an old lady, huh? that's cool.
    :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me