ATTENTION OLD PEOPLE

Comments

• FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    norm wrote:
    and anyone else that pays for groceries with a check...a debit card works exactly like a check and takes 3/4ths of the time to checkout!!!!!!!!!!

WTF???? Who accepts cheques these days??? Seriously, I don't think I know of any place around here that accepts personal cheques anymore. It's either cash or card (debit or credit)...cheques are ancient.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    and anyone else that pays for groceries with a check...a debit card works exactly like a check and takes 3/4ths of the time to checkout!!!!!!!!!!

WTF???? Who accepts cheques these days??? Seriously, I don't think I know of any place around here that accepts personal cheques anymore. It's either cash or card (debit or credit)...cheques are ancient.

that's it...i'm moving to Australia! :lol:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    chadwick wrote:
    How about the rotary phones with a really loud, clangy ring? I miss that. Not a fan of beeps and silly ringtones.

"get off the lawn god dammit"
    funny shit, yes/no?

My vote:

funny shit, yes
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:
    is the thread title is in CAPS so that the old people can SEE it?

I thought CAPS means that it's louder.

so did I, but then i got confused cos I'm getting old.

If I had typed 'so old people can HEAR it' then i know some smart arse would have replied to say "don't you mean see it" ... I've learned a lot of shit through the interweb, some of it scatological, some of it about glue but the smart arse stuff from others was one of the first things I learned.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    it takes approximately 4:07 to write a check.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3SKXfEMSYY
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    to: norm
    for your financial wellbeing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDIFkLCf9jQ

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

the only more boring video on the web must be a video of paint drying

that dude is the cure for insomnia!

:lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

the only more boring video on the web must be a video of paint drying

that dude is the cure for insomnia!

:lol::lol:
    now stop it
    he is my personal hero :lolno:

i am like the complete opposite of this guy. like night & day.
    i admire him.

great friendships have been sealed through such ways.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    chadwick wrote:
    change for a phone call please... ??????...yeah the pay phone outside
    i need quaters dimes and nickels
    couples dollars worth, thanks.

weird lighters...
    it always feels & looks like a dope deals goin down when i'm on pay phone.

you still have pay phones where you live? verizon took them out from the fronts of stores and left the empty holder there. I prefer black rotary vs seventies green :mrgreen:
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

weird lighters...

you still have pay phones where you live? verizon took them out from the fronts of stores and left the empty holder there. I prefer black rotary vs seventies green :mrgreen:
    black rotary... very nice.
    yes @ the black rotary phone with short twisted cord.
    love it.

yes we still have pay phones.
    verizon is bullshit for taking out your pay phones.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    chadwick wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

weird lighters...

black rotary... very nice.
    yes @ the black rotary phone with short twisted cord.
    love it.

yes we still have pay phones.
    verizon is bullshit for taking out your pay phones.

Years ago when my grandmother died we were emptying out the house she'd lived in since about 1940. She had a big, black metal telephone downstairs. You could kill someone with it, it was so heavy. And when it rang you could hear it outside.

We all had a good laugh... until later when we were settling her estate and found out that she had been renting that phone from the phone company for all those years. Literally decades.

Can't even tell you how many phones she could have bought with what she paid for rent... :(
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    edited August 2010
    Years ago when my grandmother died we were emptying out the house she'd lived in since about 1940. She had a big, black metal telephone downstairs. You could kill someone with it, it was so heavy. And when it rang you could hear it outside.

We all had a good laugh... until later when we were settling her estate and found out that she had been renting that phone from the phone company for all those years. Literally decades.

Can't even tell you how many phones she could have bought with what she paid for rent... :(
    you are hilarious.
    my great uncle had the exact phone only it wasn't metal.
    black plastic rotary phone 4 ft long coil twisted cord.
    in a phone mounting station built into the kitchen wall beside the kitchen table.
    rented phones.
    i remember it was like a couple bucks, maybe 3 or 4 bucks per month forever. over time inflation no doubt.
    my dad discovered the fee on uncle's phone bill.
    he was shocked, we're talking 30-90 or more years of phone renting.

uncle thought it was great.
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

If I had typed 'so old people can HEAR it' then i know some smart arse would have replied to say "don't you mean see it" ... I've learned a lot of shit through the interweb, some of it scatological, some of it about glue but the smart arse stuff from others was one of the first things I learned.

:mrgreen:
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• I'm not old, I'm mid-20's, but I like to use my checks. I have the carbon copy ones and it's so much easier to balance the check book for me, I tend to lose track of debit transactions. That being said, I know nobody wants to stand in line forever, so I don't worry that much about my handwriting on my checks. I notice more "senior citizens" paying with cash, exact change to be exact, which may take several minutes to count out. ;)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    and another thing...just because you made it to the rip old age of 114, it doesn't give you carte blanche to drive anyway you like...i'd like to be an old person one day too!
    norm wrote:
    and another thing...just because you made it to the rip old age of 114, it doesn't give you carte blanche to drive anyway you like...i'd like to be an old person one day too!

I will be steering my gigantic late model American sedan at 15 miles and hour right down the middle of the street. Better watch out, Norm, sometimes I'll be driving on the sidewalk.

All you'll see is the top of my blue hair behind the steering wheel because I will have shrunken to the size of a koala by then.

And you know that left blinker will be flashing while I take the right turn. In a really wide arc. At 5 mph.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Florida does not want you! Please, die somewhere else!

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

:clap: Epic reference!

But seriously...old people. Damn them.

Why don't banks just obsolete checks all together??
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,031
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

wait a minute, I thought Scotland invented Smart Arse?!?!?!?!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    tinkerbell wrote:
    We haven't been able to use cheques here for probably 10 years!! I have never owned a cheque book and the only places you can really use them now is paying utilites by mail (power, phone etc.) We were the first country in the world to introduce Eftpos (in store electronic transacions using debit cards) and I found it so bizarre when I went to Sydney recently that not everywhere takes debit or credit cards. I hardly ever carry cash.

i have to ask... where didnt take one of these two options?

Budget Rent a Car wouldn't take my stepmums travel Mastercard so I had to put the car on my Visa. A sunglass store only took cash, and when I went to pay by Visa for my Ferry/Zoo pass, they only took cash.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tinkerbell wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:
    We haven't been able to use cheques here for probably 10 years!! I have never owned a cheque book and the only places you can really use them now is paying utilites by mail (power, phone etc.) We were the first country in the world to introduce Eftpos (in store electronic transacions using debit cards) and I found it so bizarre when I went to Sydney recently that not everywhere takes debit or credit cards. I hardly ever carry cash.

Budget Rent a Car wouldn't take my stepmums travel Mastercard so I had to put the car on my Visa. A sunglass store only took cash, and when I went to pay by Visa for my Ferry/Zoo pass, they only took cash.

well of course the ferry wasnt gonna take a card. actually ive never thoguht of buying fares with anything other than cash. im gonna try it next time im down at circular quay and see what happens. :lol: and budget did take a card, just not your mums. :P

people think youre suss when you pay with cash. as if youre some sort of criminal who doesnt want to leave a paper trail. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    It wasn't on the Ferry!! It was at the booth.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    chadwick wrote:
    Years ago when my grandmother died we were emptying out the house she'd lived in since about 1940. She had a big, black metal telephone downstairs. You could kill someone with it, it was so heavy. Andwhen it rang you could hear it outside.

We all had a good laugh... until later when we were settling her estate and found out that she had been renting that phone from the phone company for all those years.Literally decades.

you are hilarious.
    my great uncle had the exact phone only it wasn't metal.
    black plastic rotary phone 4 ft long coil twisted cord.
    in a phone mounting station built into the kitchen wall beside the kitchen table.
    rented phones.
    i remember it was like a couple bucks, maybe 3 or 4 bucks per month forever. over time inflation no doubt.
    my dad discovered the fee on uncle's
    phone bill.
    he was shocked, we're talking 30-90 or more years of phone renting.

uncle thought it was great.

I literally cannot stop laughing right this minute reading this post by you and unlost! I am suppost to be sleeping but hadd to check this thread! :D

I dig the rotary phone but I think it's soooooo dumb that people now have the old black rotary phone ringtone on their cell phones!!! WTF!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

I know, I was fixated by your diatribe about glue.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tinkerbell wrote:
    It wasn't on the Ferry!! It was at the booth.

i know.that was understood. you cant get on the ferry without first buying a ticket at the booth... that is if you dont already have a multi transport mode ticket.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    tinkerbell wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:

That's why you should've come to Brisbane! ;) I think the only places that don't take cards are some small takeaway shops. I hard;y ever have cash and on the odd occassion that I do get caught I swear people must think I am a tad daft when I repeat back to them " We only accept cash"......but seriously this is 2010 not 1910!!
    SENROCK wrote:
    I literally cannot stop laughing right this minute reading this post by you and unlost! I am suppost to be sleeping but hadd to check this thread! :D

I dig the rotary phone but I think it's soooooo dumb that people now have the old black rotary phone ringtone on their cell phones!!! WTF!
    are ppl renting cell phones that ring up like the old black rotary phones?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    There is no doubt that old people do not have exclusive rights on getting in others' way or doing things inefficiently.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:
    There is no doubt that old people do not have exclusive rights on getting in others' way or doing things inefficiently.

It takes1 to know1
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    know1 wrote:

It takes1 to know1

Exactly. Except when I do something that impedes other people or gets in the way, I have a good reason for it.... ;)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:
    know1 wrote:

It takes1 to know1

Exactly. Except when I do something that impedes other people or gets in the way, I have a good reason for it.... ;)

Get out of my way, you frigging whippersnappers.

*elbows them aside using her suitcaselike purse*