The video game thread.

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Microsoft will no longer require the Kinect to be plugged in to operate. So they have done an about-face on just about every policy they had originally. Except the price. And changing the name to the Xbox 180 might get some good natured publicity.

Well, at least they had the foresight to swallow their arrogence early.

I figure I'll wait until they sell a stand alone that doesn't require the kinect and is $100 cheaper. If they do this within a year, I think they will be neck and neck with Sony.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    working my way through Last of Us right now. Probably my favorite game this year, only close one would be Bioshock Infinite. Only gripe I have with the game is when you stealth kill somebody, you just leave their body on the ground, another baddy can see it and not react. I wish you had to hide the bodies out of sight or something to stay undetected.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    just started Mass Effect #1, being at work today is difficult.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    EZ1221C wrote:
    working my way through Last of Us right now. Probably my favorite game this year, only close one would be Bioshock Infinite. Only gripe I have with the game is when you stealth kill somebody, you just leave their body on the ground, another baddy can see it and not react. I wish you had to hide the bodies out of sight or something to stay undetected.

Last of Us is one of the best games I've played. I may have to check out Bioshock.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    Just finished Assassin's Creed 3 and while I liked the idea of having a Native American assassin, I felt the execution of the storyline and game could have been better. Also, colonial Boston and New York weren't as fun to navigate as Renaissance Italy or Istanbul in the previous games.

However, the gameplay videos for AC4 look awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkc4IoMb70
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXSaqyChZ_E
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Saints row 4 is out next week. I hadnt even heard about it.
    I loved part 2.
    Part 3 was just OK.
    Seems like part 3 wasnt too long ago...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I loved part 2.
    Part 3 was just OK.
    I haven't played 3 yet. Waiting for the DLC edition to be 20 or less ;)

4 is getting excellent reviews.

I enjoyed 1 and 2 a lot.
    Jason P wrote:
    Microsoft will no longer require the Kinect to be plugged in to operate. So they have done an about-face on just about every policy they had originally. Except the price. And changing the name to the Xbox 180 might get some good natured publicity.

Well, at least they had the foresight to swallow their arrogence early.

I figure I'll wait until they sell a stand alone that doesn't require the kinect and is $100 cheaper. If they do this within a year, I think they will be neck and neck with Sony.

None of the stuff that the Sony boys went nuts about bothered me in the first place :P

Still not getting it right away though.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Just beat Last of Us, holy hell what a ride. Absolutely magnificent game, damn near perfect, the set pieces were jaw dropping. You want to discuss video games as an art form, this (among others) is a damn good place to start.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Just beat Last of Us, holy hell what a ride. Absolutely magnificent game, damn near perfect, the set pieces were jaw dropping. You want to discuss video games as an art form, this (among others) is a damn good place to start.
    Yeah, amazing game!

I'm giving it a little time but will re-play it again.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

Finished that for the second time yesterday... on my second with Mass Effect 2 right now.
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Picking up saints row 4 in the morning!
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Rygar wrote:
    I loved part 2.
    Part 3 was just OK.

I enjoyed 1 and 2 a lot.

3 is well worth it. Lots of fun to be had ;)

Way better than 1-2. And the DLC for three is worth waiting for.

Picking up 4 in the morning, will make the wait for GTA V and the fall tour a little shorter ;)
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

I enjoyed 1 and 2 a lot.

3 is well worth it. Lots of fun to be had ;)

Way better than 1-2. And the DLC for three is worth waiting for.

Picking up 4 in the morning, will make the wait for GTA V and the fall tour a little shorter ;)
    Excellent. I have a lot of games yet to play and this is just one more!
    I am considering pre-ordering the Limited Edition of Forza 5 even though I won't have an XB1 for a year or more :P

Finished that for the second time yesterday... on my second with Mass Effect 2 right now.
    I played ME1 at least 6 times. Loved it.
    I am on my second playthrough on ME2, on Insanity difficulty, but I am struggling to stay interest. 6 or 7 playthroughs of ME1 led to a case of sequelitis, I think.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Picking up saints row 4 in the morning!

I saw a review for it on IGN and completely lost interest. But I hope I'm wrong.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    for now, playing NCAA 14 still. Great game, but in need of a patch to fix it up a bit.

Have Madden preordered, but thinking of holding off on it. Still got NCAA to play and GTA V comes out in September.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    next month FIFA14 will be the first game (non-arcade) that i picked up for my 360 in a while. pretty stoked to get back into FIFA... the last one i owned was '12. love RPGs, but i just don't have the time to get totally immersed in the storylines anymore. unless of course it is fallout. always time for fallout :mrgreen: i still occassionally throw in new vegas, have my character watch the sunset while getting hammered on vodka and absinthe then go hunt deathclaws :lol:

did play the latest installment of the walking dead (400 days) and very excited with the way the wrapped that epsiode up... tons of room for future episodes. i did play through all of them for the first release and loved everything about it. would love to see them crank out an episode every month, every other month for download.
    Europe XBox1 pre-orders are getting FIFA 14 bundled in.

I predict Madden will be shipped with US orders.

Microsoft is putting on the full court press after getting boom-shaka-laka'd in the first half. (although it is still cheaper to buy a game and a PS4)
    There is a COD Ghosts bundle too.
    I imagine there will be a PS4 bundle or two.
    Rygar wrote:

how is COD Ghosts looking? have they finally done something innovative with the COD series?
    rival. wrote:
    how is COD Ghosts looking? have they finally done something innovative with the COD series?
    I heard they added a single player mode this year.
    Jason P wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    I heard they added a single player mode this year.

:lol:

i will give the COD franchise credit for having stellar campaigns. last of the series i bought was the first black ops and I have been tinkering with the idea of picking up a cheap, used copy of MW3 to blow through the story mode just to finish the trilogy off.

i liked the direction they tried to take black ops 2 in, but again the multiplayer.... so damn repetitive.
    rival. wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

I lost interest in COD at COD3 and haven't played one since Black Ops, at which time I got to the end of the first stage and traded it in ;)
    Vita drops to $199. Now they need to lower the 32 GB memory card by about $60 and I may consider it.
    Rygar wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

I lost interest in COD at COD3 and haven't played one since Black Ops, at which time I got to the end of the first stage and traded it in ;)

i see... you played just enough of black ops to interrupt castro in the sack and put one inbetween his eyes! :lol:
    I didn't know that Plants vs. Zombies 2 is out! :shock:
    Oh, and Sony is considering releasing GT6 on Dec 6, 2013. The year might be subject to interpretation ;)
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Nov 15th Launch date for PS4
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Rygar wrote:
    Oh, and Sony is considering releasing GT6 on Dec 6, 2013. The year might be subject to interpretation ;)
    wait ... let me get my official GT calculator first and verify ... :think: ... Nov 13, 2015 :fp: