The video game thread.

Comments

• kjw818kjw818 Posts: 96
    Jason P wrote:
    The Sony executives must be walking around with some of the biggest shit eating grins known to man.

But Sony can still screw this up. A launch date has not been established. If they pull a "Gran Turismo 5" with the launch date, Microsoft might pick up people who can't stand the wait.
    It will be Holiday 2013.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    The only way I see Sony screwing it up is if they don't have enough units for their release date or there is some major hardware issue(s) out of the box. I don't see software being an issue as the PS4 will have more launch titles than any other Playstation before it.

I suppose if they get hacked again prior to launch, that might slow things down a bit. You'd think Microsoft...being a computer company could come up with something. :lol: Monkeywrench virus? :lol:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Just pre-ordered The Last of Us. Odd that it comes out on Friday.

I need to start working on my trophy count. :)
    Speaking to GT TV's Geoff Keighley Tuesday, Mattrick called the decision to require a regular Internet connection for the Xbox One "a future-proof choice." And for the present, in which nearly three in ten American households still don't have a broadband subscription and some don't even have it as an option? "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity," Mattrick said. "It's called Xbox 360."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-no-internet-connection-you-can-still-buy-an-xbox-360/

:x
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Jason P wrote:
    Speaking to GT TV's Geoff Keighley Tuesday, Mattrick called the decision to require a regular Internet connection for the Xbox One "a future-proof choice." And for the present, in which nearly three in ten American households still don't have a broadband subscription and some don't even have it as an option? "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity," Mattrick said. "It's called Xbox 360."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-no-internet-connection-you-can-still-buy-an-xbox-360/

What an asshole
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:

Yeah saw that, another awesome decision. WTF are those morons doing...
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Well amazon is listing both the xbox one and ps4 being released on Nov 30th. That's going to be a fun release day at stores. Curious if all the fanboys can get along.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Well amazon is listing both the xbox one and ps4 being released on Nov 30th. That's going to be a fun release day at stores. Curious if all the fanboys can get along.
    Just pre-ordered the PS4 thru Bestbuy.

Amazon is already down to standard release, which doesnt guarantee you the system on Launch day like the first couple of days pre-orders.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Just pre-ordered the PS4 thru Bestbuy.

Amazon is already down to standard release, which doesnt guarantee you the system on Launch day like the first couple of days pre-orders.
    Makes sense. Sony priced the system fairly reasonably and the next XBox hasn't been getting a lot of love since it was announced.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzB0jqq0a_U
    Titanfall trailer. Looks good!

Driveclub trailer:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/taking-a-test-drive-with-driveclub/
    Looks like a competitor to Horizon except it only (?) has exotics and supercars. Hmm put my car in there and we'll talk!

No need for a trailer for Forza 5 as we know that will kick ass, but all 3 Top Gear hosts are involved so that's neat.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Happy The Last of us Day

I pre-ordered a Launch Edition PS4 from Amazon on 6/11

Since then, I added on Watch Dogs, The Camera, and another Controller.

Im going to put away $5 every day from here-on-in to justify the immense purchase.

I never bought a system close to launch. Im fairly excited.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Happy The Last of us Day

I pre-ordered a Launch Edition PS4 from Amazon on 6/11

Since then, I added on Watch Dogs, The Camera, and another Controller.

Im going to put away $5 every day from here-on-in to justify the immense purchase.

Nice.
    I look forward to 1 or 2 years into the next gen life cycle to see what changes have been made to the hardware/price drops.
    MayDay10 wrote:

Same here.

Watchdogs does look great.
    Yeah, that does look good. I am sure there will be a couple other 'hooks' in the coming months for both systems. Expecting a new Fallout to be announced before too long

I am not 100% sure I am going to keep the pre-orders. I just wanted to grab a spot in the launch line.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/
    Huh, I am guessing they need to work the details out on this feature - basically you can have 10 people in your 'family' that can access your game library from their own XB1 wherever they are. Only stipulation is that two people can't play one license at the same time (so you can't MP a game of Forza 5, for example).
    Hmm, if that actually works out that way it is a neat workaround the used game fiasco.
    10 people is pretty extensive.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    10 people is pretty extensive.
    Certainly solves the drm lending issue in a cool way.
    Yeah. Thats fine. I would say there are a group of 5 people I exchange games with (and rarely).

When it all shakes out, I am sure both systems will be fairly close again and it just boils down to personal preference.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Yeah. Thats fine. I would say there are a group of 5 people I exchange games with (and rarely).

When it all shakes out, I am sure both systems will be fairly close again and it just boils down to personal preference.
    Well as long as the games are good that is the main thing for me. If the Fanatec wheel works for PS4 I may look closer at that system.
    Looks like Last of Us had an auto save bug. Lots of people played like 10 hours to find the game never saved. :fp:
    I guess Naughty Dog has since fixed it. Glad I haven't started yet! :D
    Gonna go pick it up now...
    I got it in hand, but I have 20 things to do after work, and then Im playing poker all night...

Then tomorrow I have to prep all day, then host a father's day celebration. Saturday night Ill be able to play.
    I'm almost 2 hours in.

Awesome game!!!
    Thumbs up for the last of us! The cut scenes flow naturally and the challenge is pretty good.

My friends who watched me play it said it was like seeing a great movie.
    Just bought Uncharted 3 for $10. Time to finish off the trilogy.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Jason P wrote:
    Thumbs up for the last of us! The cut scenes flow naturally and the challenge is pretty good.

Jealous. No PS3 for me. :cry:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    Just bought Uncharted 3 for $10. Time to finish off the trilogy.
    You could have gotten Playstation Plus...it's like $5/mo. Uncharted 3 and a handful of other games are free this month. PS+ is a great deal.

That said, Uncharted 3 was a great game. 2 was better, but 3 was really good too.
    Jason P wrote:

Yeah, I'm about half way in and this game is awesome!
    I had a friend stop by yesterday while I was playing and she said the same thing...she goes "wait a minute, is that a game?! It looks like a friggen movie!" :lol:
    The Last of Us is good, not great IMO.

Graphically and story wise, it is very good. However, the game is extremely linear and is similar to just an interactive movie. Everything is blocked except for the path you have to go on. There are some real good, challenging parts in the game, but mostly its walk, you see a prompt to press a button, press a button, someone says something, everyone transverses the obstacle, etc...
    I saved it yesterday, and it seems like I just got going, and it says I have finished 26% already.

I think for a game (IMO) to receive the highest of scores, it needs to have a more of a degree of variability, customization, and free roam.

I like the challenge of a few areas of sneaking up on and choking monsters, albeit a little repetitive. Some places took me many tries. The problem is, you die and you start out right at the beginning of the "scene".

The AI of the enemies (even non-monsters) and your companion(s) are poor.

There are a number of cool things, like your flashlight starts to dim out, and you have to smack the controller like a flashlight to restore it. There is a little bit of item crafting, skill increases, and weapons upgrading. Not too expansive, but its there. Nowhere in the same hemisphere as the level of Fallout or Skyrim though.

I think a bit more freedom in terms of where to go and 'side missions' would be great, as well as a little more interaction with the environment (typically there are like 6 items that are "lootable" for crafting).
    MayDay10 wrote:
    The Last of Us is good, not great IMO.

Graphically and story wise, it is very good. However, the game is extremely linear and is similar to just an interactive movie. Everything is blocked except for the path you have to go on. There are some real good, challenging parts in the game, but mostly its walk, you see a prompt to press a button, press a button, someone says something, everyone transverses the obstacle, etc...
    I saved it yesterday, and it seems like I just got going, and it says I have finished 26% already.

I think for a game (IMO) to receive the highest of scores, it needs to have a more of a degree of variability, customization, and free roam.

I like the challenge of a few areas of sneaking up on and choking monsters, albeit a little repetitive. Some places took me many tries. The problem is, you die and you start out right at the beginning of the "scene".

The AI of the enemies (even non-monsters) and your companion(s) are poor.

There are a number of cool things, like your flashlight starts to dim out, and you have to smack the controller like a flashlight to restore it. There is a little bit of item crafting, skill increases, and weapons upgrading. Not too expansive, but its there. Nowhere in the same hemisphere as the level of Fallout or Skyrim though.

I think a bit more freedom in terms of where to go and 'side missions' would be great, as well as a little more interaction with the environment (typically there are like 6 items that are "lootable" for crafting).

I think it would be extremely difficult to maintain the quality of the story if it was more "open". I'm a little over halfway through and I think it's a great game.
    I enjoyed Fallout, but I don't think it was that great of a game. Openworld is cool, but the story was "meh".
    The way the reviews and accolades were, this game was among the best ever. It isnt far off from Uncharted, a good game... but Last of Us isnt real innovative, or provide any exciting new playing options. The story is good and graphics are good... but that isnt enough to break into the top echelon deserving the best reviews IMO, throwing out GOTY, "groundbreaking", etc...

the story progresses, it prompts you to start mashing the square button, you do, then shows another cut of you killing a guy, then a cut scene, then another scene where you have to sneak around and choke zombies... again. There is really only 1 specific way of playing. Maybe 15 hours worth, then thats it. Many areas are so monotonous, I cant see myself attempting another playthrough on a more difficult mode and/or to find hidden items.

With Fallout, you could play again, using different skills, choosing different perks, making different decisions along the way. Same with Skyrim/Oblivion, but you add Class of character into it. Civ IV you have all the leaders, victory conditions, infinite maps, scenarios, etc. San Andreas is another game at the top IMO. If a game is linear it needs to provide something new and fun to deserve such praise IMO, like Bioshock did.

With all that said, I guess it depends on what you prefer: Story vs gameplay/variability/replayability

It sounds like it, but I dont hate the game, I enjoy it. I just know it isnt going to make it close to my list of all time favorites.