The video game thread.

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:
    I agree. I'll bet Sony has the same agreement with the game publishers. All they have stated is that you will be able to play used games. Whether that includes a fee has yet to be denied or addressed.
    It would make sense. MS would have to be way out in left field to have done that by themselves...which is also possible, haha
    I will be stretching my current gen out as much as I can I guess, see who gets rid of what by then!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    Rygar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    I agree. I'll bet Sony has the same agreement with the game publishers. All they have stated is that you will be able to play used games. Whether that includes a fee has yet to be denied or addressed.
    It would make sense. MS would have to be way out in left field to have done that by themselves...which is also possible, haha
    I will be stretching my current gen out as much as I can I guess, see who gets rid of what by then!
    I think we'll all know a lot more come E3 in a few weeks. The press for that is going to be huge this year so I don't see any way either company can avoid anything.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    I think we'll all know a lot more come E3 in a few weeks. The press for that is going to be huge this year so I don't see any way either company can avoid anything.

I agree. Too many unknowns. Like I said before. I wont be buying one for a year at least so we will see.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Tech breakdown as we know ....

While both consoles make use of an eight-core AMD Jaguar processor — which is a big win for AMD — the PlayStation 4 features 1,152 GPU cores compared to the Xbox One’s 768 graphics cores. Sony’s new console drives 1.84 TFLOPS as a result, compared to the new Xbox’s peak shader throughput of 1.23 TFLOPS.

The PlayStation 4 also has the edge when it comes to system memory, featuring 8GB of 5500MHz GDDR5 memory compared to the Xbox One’s 8GB of 2133MHz DDR3 RAM. Embedded memory and embedded memory bandwidth for the Xbox One are still unknown.

http://news.yahoo.com/xbox-one-vs-playstation-4-ps4-wins-specs-151527778.html

Advantage Sony.

Of course, Sony had the same advantage 8 years ago and bumbled it to the point that I turned on my PS3 for the first time in a year because I got a Blu Ray copy of The Cannonball Run.
    Jason P wrote:

While both consoles make use of an eight-core AMD Jaguar processor — which is a big win for AMD — the PlayStation 4 features 1,152 GPU cores compared to the Xbox One’s 768 graphics cores. Sony’s new console drives 1.84 TFLOPS as a result, compared to the new Xbox’s peak shader throughput of 1.23 TFLOPS.

The PlayStation 4 also has the edge when it comes to system memory, featuring 8GB of 5500MHz GDDR5 memory compared to the Xbox One’s 8GB of 2133MHz DDR3 RAM. Embedded memory and embedded memory bandwidth for the Xbox One are still unknown.

Advantage Sony.

Of course, Sony had the same advantage 8 years ago and bumbled it to the point that I turned on my PS3 for the first time in a year because I got a Blu Ray copy of The Cannonball Run.
    :lol:
    We'll see how the systems use what they've got, what the games look and run like are what counts at the end of the day.
    Jason P wrote:

Advantage Sony.

Sony has the exclusive titles/developers...not even really close. They have the more powerful machine...
    We'll see how they f it up! :lol:

I actually do think Sony realized their mistakes with the PS3. They seem to have the momentum for next-gen...I think the only thing that could de-rail them now is if they ask waaaay too much for the system. If MS comes out $100 lower, then I could see that being a real deal breaker for many.
    This is a scary thought about how the Kinect is mandatory ... because MS can use it to spy on us. This is from an interview between Gamespot and MS VP.

With the new [Kinect], I had the demo earlier, and it seems like it's tracking an awful lot. While I'm playing a game, you're tracking my heart rate, my attention. Am I looking at the screen? Am I distracted? Am I smiling?
    We should be careful in how we characterize those features. Those are features that are available to game developers. You think about emotion or where your head's looking; these are tools that a game designer can use in developing the game and creating more immersion. The amount of capabilities in Kinect has grown tremendously. But the data that it's collecting is really specific to the experience that you're in.

It seems like the kind of data that could be theoretically collected and then used to influence [future developers] for a sequel or something.

I won't just focus on Kinect because I think about how far somebody gets in a game, where the pinch-points are, where do people fail. All those analytic capabilities are really important to us in designing future iterations of games and finding out what people love. That capability to the developer is really important as they try to get better at their craft and make better experience. But we obviously want to put the gamer in control of what data gets shared.

Noticed how he danced around that question? :?
    Jason P wrote:
    This is a scary thought about how the Kinect is mandatory ... because MS can use it to spy on us. This is from an interview between Gamespot and MS VP.

With the new [Kinect], I had the demo earlier, and it seems like it's tracking an awful lot. While I'm playing a game, you're tracking my heart rate, my attention. Am I looking at the screen? Am I distracted? Am I smiling?
    We should be careful in how we characterize those features. Those are features that are available to game developers. You think about emotion or where your head's looking; these are tools that a game designer can use in developing the game and creating more immersion. The amount of capabilities in Kinect has grown tremendously. But the data that it's collecting is really specific to the experience that you're in.

It seems like the kind of data that could be theoretically collected and then used to influence [future developers] for a sequel or something.

I won't just focus on Kinect because I think about how far somebody gets in a game, where the pinch-points are, where do people fail. All those analytic capabilities are really important to us in designing future iterations of games and finding out what people love. That capability to the developer is really important as they try to get better at their craft and make better experience. But we obviously want to put the gamer in control of what data gets shared.

Noticed how he danced around that question? :?

Yeah, that doesn't sound good at all! The idea that developers are getting feedback off of how they...view me?!?! :shock: That's messed up!
    Huh, guess I will have to put clothes on while playing now.^^
    mca47 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Advantage Sony.

Sony has the exclusive titles/developers...not even really close. They have the more powerful machine...
    We'll see how they f it up! :lol:

I actually do think Sony realized their mistakes with the PS3. They seem to have the momentum for next-gen...I think the only thing that could de-rail them now is if they ask waaaay too much for the system. If MS comes out $100 lower, then I could see that being a real deal breaker for many.
    There is no real advantage with Sony's exclusives.
    I'm not saying they won't be good. I'm saying they won't do much for sway.

All of this discussion over the two reveals is, as with every generation, way ahead of itself, and exaggerated. Sony and MS could tell you whatever they want and the systems will still sell.
    Rygar wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I bought and have a PS3 because of Sony's exclusives (1st and 2nd party).
    The same reason I will likely purchase a PS4. :|
    Rygar wrote:
    All of this discussion over the two reveals is, as with every generation, way ahead of itself, and exaggerated.

Agree, but it is fun to speculate and bitch. :D
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I bought and have a PS3 because of Sony's exclusives (1st and 2nd party).

What are their best exclusive? Socom? God of War?
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

I probably got mine for GT5 but haven't been overly impressed with the exclusives otherwise (again that's just me).
    What are the big exclusives for the PS4?
    Agree, but it is fun to speculate and bitch. :D
    :lol:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    mca47 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

The Uncharted series
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Looks like the next Final Fantasy game will be a PS4 exclusive. I hope they get their crap back together.

Naughty Dog: Uncharted Series, The Last of Us, Jak series
    San Diego Studios: MLB The Show Series
    Santa Monica Studios: God of War Series
    Sucker Punch: InFamous Series
    Bend Studios: Syphon Filter and Uncharted Golden Abyss
    Polyphony Digital: Gran Turismo Series
    Japan Studios: Demon Souls, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush
    Media Molecule: Little Big Planet Series
    Guerrrilla Games: Killzone Series
    Evolution: MotorStorm series

Those are first party developers.

Second party:
    Quantic Dream: Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls
    Insomniac: Resistance
    That Game Company: Flower, Journey

To name a few.
    mca47 wrote:

Second party:

To name a few.
    Some good ones in there, some real shitters too.
    I liked Syphon Filter on PS1, they didn't release a game for PS3...
    Jason P wrote:
    Looks like the next Final Fantasy game will be a PS4 exclusive. I hope they get their crap back together.
    Don't hold your breath!
    Rygar wrote:
    What are the big exclusives for the PS4?

Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    DriveClub
    Infamous: Second Son
    The Witness
    Beyond: Two Souls - Not sure if it's PS3 or 4.

Those were all mentioned in Feb. I'm sure there will be a few more added for E3. All PS3 first and second party developers are onboard and working on projects for the new system.
    Rygar wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Second party:

To name a few.
    I was just listing some of their 1st party devs. I believe they have 15 total.
    Rygar wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Second party:

To name a few.

Loved the old Syphon Filter games. Definitely some good games in that list. I mostly play shooters so Killzone and Resistance have always intrigued me. I would really miss Halo and Gears of War though. No way I am buying both consoles.

Loved the old Syphon Filter games. Definitely some good games in that list. I mostly play shooters so Killzone and Resistance have always intrigued me. I would really miss Halo and Gears of War though. No way I am buying both consoles.
    Halo is a definite system seller. Gears is good but after 2 I got sequelitis...
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    Anyone play NBA 2K13 on Xbox? Are the 2K servers down a lot?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hope this is true for both systems.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32346 ... itary-use/

Finally, some good news. According to a source close to Microsoft, the newly unveiled Xbox One will not require a fee to reactivate and play used games. Instead, it’ll require a regular authentication check of every game as it’s being played — hence, the required Internet connection. This hasn’t been, nor is it likely to be, confirmed by Microsoft until E3. It sounds like they’re still working it out internally. That may explain the contradicting reports about the Xbox One’s Internet requirements and whether or not it blocks used games.

In related news, Microsoft has confirmed they are experimenting with offering codes for people in Internet-free situations, like soldiers on active duty, to let them play offline.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

Finally, some good news. According to a source close to Microsoft, the newly unveiled Xbox One will not require a fee to reactivate and play used games. Instead, it’ll require a regular authentication check of every game as it’s being played — hence, the required Internet connection. This hasn’t been, nor is it likely to be, confirmed by Microsoft until E3. It sounds like they’re still working it out internally. That may explain the contradicting reports about the Xbox One’s Internet requirements and whether or not it blocks used games.

In related news, Microsoft has confirmed they are experimenting with offering codes for people in Internet-free situations, like soldiers on active duty, to let them play offline.

Doesnt make sense. What is the purpose of the regular authentication check then?

Doesnt make sense. What is the purpose of the regular authentication check then?
    It is because the games install to the HDD and the disc isn't required to play them after that (I think). So technically you could install the game and pass the disc on to someone else if they didn't check it.
    Rygar wrote:

It is because the games install to the HDD and the disc isn't required to play them after that (I think). So technically you could install the game and pass the disc on to someone else if they didn't check it.

But if you are only playing campaign mode or no online, why would you need to be connected?
    But if you are only playing campaign mode or no online, why would you need to be connected?
    Because each disc will have a unique identifier, presumably, and the online check will be to ensure that that ID is only active on one machine at a time.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I have no interest in mandatory online connections. I have been fighting shitty internet connection with Time Warner for months, and havent been able to maintain a steady connection, and have had outages for days on end.

It would be an inconvenience. Not to mention they are making a madatory camera trained on you online.