The video game thread.

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    well, if you trade in your 360 and ps3, you might be able to shave $100 off the price tag :P
    and calling it now... $80 games.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    rival. wrote:
    Hmm hope not! One of them (I am thinking Sony but can't say for sure) said they were keeping them at $60.
    I'm already in a pattern of waiting a year (or two) for most games to be $20 :P
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    rival. wrote:
    Sony has stated that game prices should remain about the same as they are now.
    Who knows if that'll actually pan out...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    they have been $50-$60 since Nintendo
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    If they were cheaper, more people would buy them on day 1. PS1 had it perfect at $40.

With app games, they need to get cheaper anyway. They are losing the market.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Rygar wrote:
    I'm already in a pattern of waiting a year (or two) for most games to be $20 :P

Thats how I do it as well.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    Nothing looks "next gen" to me :?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    rival. wrote:
    looks like an old shitty cable box from the 90's.

I like the retro look. I may be in a very small minority though.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    So I just watched the highlights.

I wish MS gave more details about the hardware. They really only provided basic stuff.
    Like the RAM. It'll have 8GB or RAM, but is it DDR3....GDDR5? That kind of thing...

I hope they aren't specifically vague and we later find out it's DDR3...while cheaper, it's also old technology.

Where were the games? They seemed to spend most of the time talking about TV functionality. :? They mentioned two exclusives, but everything else they showed is on the other system as well.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    mca47 wrote:

Where were the games? They seemed to spend most of the time talking about TV functionality. :? They mentioned two exclusives, but everything else they showed is on the other system as well.
    Thats the majority of peoples early complaints. That MS seems to be catering more to overall social media/tv than just games, and no games presentation.

Its funny, if you combine PS4's presser with this one, you'd have a much clearer understanding.

MS showed the system,kinect, but not much from games.
    PS showed games, but not the system(besides the controller)
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    mca47 wrote:

Thats the majority of peoples early complaints. That MS seems to be catering more to overall social media/tv than just games, and no games presentation.

Its funny, if you combine PS4's presser with this one, you'd have a much clearer understanding.

MS showed the system,kinect, but not much from games.
    PS showed games, but not the system(besides the controller)

Well, I'm pretty sure E3 will shed some light on a lot of this stuff.
    Is it me or ...Microsoft revealing their new system 3 weeks prior to E3. :? What's left for them to present to "wow" the crowd? Three weeks!
    All things PS4 have been pretty hush-hush since February.

I wonder if MS would have been better off keeping a lid on the new system until E3, whereby taking away some of Sony's "thunder".
    I don't get it.
    :think:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    i dont care for all these inclusive home entertainment capabilities. In either machine.

I just want something that is reasonably quiet, wont malfunction, and plays the next 5-7 years' worth of games that improve upon the past 5-7 years. Tweak the controllers, online play, etc. I dont need to control my cable box, check my facebook, while I order a pizza with it. There are things that do those things better: Cable Box, CPU/Phone, and Telephone.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    i dont care for all these inclusive home entertainment capabilities. In either machine.

I just want something that is reasonably quiet, wont malfunction, and plays the next 5-7 years' worth of games that improve upon the past 5-7 years. Tweak the controllers, online play, etc. I dont need to control my cable box, check my facebook, while I order a pizza with it. There are things that do those things better: Cable Box, CPU/Phone, and Telephone.
    :thumbup:
    It would be awesome if it made the pizza ... it's big enough to. :mrgreen:
    MayDay10 wrote:

+1

the only feature i use on my 360 other than playing games is listening to last fm.

no use for zune, facebook, espn, bing, etc, etc.
    And that is why it is big. It's basically a desktop PC

the-xbox-one-has-a-lot-of-powerful-specs-including-a-500-gb-hard-drive-wifi-direct-8gb-of-ram-and-a-blu-ray-player.jpg
    Still wonder if arcade games will transfer?
    Jason P wrote:

the-xbox-one-has-a-lot-of-powerful-specs-including-a-500-gb-hard-drive-wifi-direct-8gb-of-ram-and-a-blu-ray-player.jpg
    From the looks of this and small images of PS4, both companies arent f'ing around with overheating issues.
    Looks like a shit ton of vents on both.
    Jason P wrote:

From the looks of this and small images of PS4, both companies arent f'ing around with overheating issues.
    Looks like a shit ton of vents on both.

Yeah, I don't think either company wants to deal with another red ring or yellow light.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    So apparently I need a Kinect to run the new Xbox? Is it going to come bundled with one? I have less than 0 interest in Kinect and sure as hell won't be buying one separately just to play Xbox games.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Also, I didn't see anything about backwards compatibility. Will One play 360 games?
    PLAY THE SOUTH

wow, that is some serious bullshit. aside from gamers, that is going to put a dent in retailers like gamestop, fye, etc.
    EZ1221C wrote:
    So apparently I need a Kinect to run the new Xbox? Is it going to come bundled with one? I have less than 0 interest in Kinect and sure as hell won't be buying one separately just to play Xbox games.

ditto. playstation is starting to win my vote when it's time to purchase a new gen.
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Also, I didn't see anything about backwards compatibility. Will One play 360 games?
    Nope.

Heres the side by side specs of both systems:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_v ... ison_Chart
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Nope.

So MS actually is using a 8GB DDR3 for it's memory. Wow. Just enforces the idea that this system is more of a hub than a gaming system. Sony's 8GB GDDR5 is waaay better...as is their CPU.

Not sure what their thinking is here... :?
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Comes with it.
    mca47 wrote:
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Nope.

So MS actually is using a 8GB DDR3 for it's memory. Wow. Just enforces the idea that this system is more of a hub than a gaming system. Sony's 8GB GDDR5 is waaay better...as is their CPU.

Not sure what their thinking is here... :?
    How is the CPU better? The PS3 CPU was better than 360's as well and fat lot of good that did.

That is some serious horse's ass right there.