Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    My xbox 360 got the red ring of death last night. Fuck!
    Was it one of the originals or the new black one?

I think I had the red ring of death three times but all but one was covered under warranty. The last time, I had my PS3 disc reader go out nearly the same time (2 weeks after the Sony warranty expired :( ). Xbox cost $120 and PS3 cost $150. So I spent nearly $300 fixing next generation systems while my NES from 1985 still works just fine.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,774
    Jason P wrote:

I think I had the red ring of death three times but all but one was covered under warranty. The last time, I had my PS3 disc reader go out nearly the same time (2 weeks after the Sony warranty expired :( ). Xbox cost $120 and PS3 cost $150. So I spent nearly $300 fixing next generation systems while my NES from 1985 still works just fine.

It's an original. I bought it refurbished 2 years ago so I did get some decent use out of it. Looks like I'll just have to buy one of the new black ones. Will I be able to just use my old hard drive and snap it on to the new one? If so, I'll just go with the 4GB model for $200.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    Got my PS vita today, so far i'm pretty impressed. I really like the touch screen. about to give uncharted a go!

let me know if any of you guys get one, :)

Mine is getting delivered today.
    Unfortunately, my order was split in 2 and my memory card wont be in my possession until Saturday or Monday.

selling off my 3ds that I recently got.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

It's an original. I bought it refurbished 2 years ago so I did get some decent use out of it. Looks like I'll just have to buy one of the new black ones. Will I be able to just use my old hard drive and snap it on to the new one? If so, I'll just go with the 4GB model for $200.

That happened to me when I was 1 month out of warranty. They would not cut me any slack.

I ended up buying a new one with a 120gb memory. You can just use your existing one... however, you can order a transfer kit through XBox (its free I believe) and you can move all your data to a new hard drive.

I actually dont regret getting the new xbox. The HDMI output enhances the whole thing a great deal.
  • Options
    You have to get a data transfer cord to transfer data to the hard drive unless you have a memory card that is big enough to transfer your data and profile. Here is a link to the cord:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Data-Transfer-Cable/dp/B003S9WJ9A/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

Also, Amazon has the 4 GB model on sale for $180.

The one great thing about the black model is that it is whisper quiet compared to the older model which sounds like a jet turbine.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    You have to get a data transfer cord to transfer data to the hard drive unless you have a memory card that is big enough to transfer your data and profile. Here is a link to the cord:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Data-Transfer-Cable/dp/B003S9WJ9A/ref=pd_sim_vg_1

Also, Amazon has the 4 GB model on sale for $180.

The one great thing about the black model is that it is whisper quiet compared to the older model which sounds like a jet turbine.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Skyrim update: I am now the Arch Mage of the college. I bought a horse and while fighting a dragon a wooly mammoth killed it. Then last night I drove it off the side of a mountain and we both died.

Lydia pushed me off a cliff.

update: my girlfriend started playing, created a female character. She now has a Lydia follower, they look like twins. Kind of cool - all the clothing and armor she finds are female shaped, they have boobs
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    I'm really looking forward to Journey
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219641p1.html.

This game looks amazing!!!

The developers also made Flower...which was a very cool game!
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    The Show is so close I can smell it.
  • Options
    I am really liking the vita. High quality machine. Imo it is vastly superior to the 3ds.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I am really liking the vita. High quality machine. Imo it is vastly superior to the 3ds.
    This close...well, you can't see it, but it's close :lol: ...to getting one. :D
  • Options
    I recommend it for sure. It is very impressive and even prompted me to break out my ps3 for gaming for the 1st time ever.

I cant think of one negative. If you have any questions, just ask.

Ah, here's a negative: the price of the memory cards. I got the 32gb one. So it was really $350 instead of $250. I still think it is worth it though.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

+1

I feel bad for the four games I currently have for it because come Tuesday, they will all get replaced at once by The Show. It frightens me to think how much time I'm going to spend with that game between the PS3 and Vita.
  • Options
    I hope they somehow coded in the wildcard change so they can update it. I also hope they have Houston to the AL for season 2 but I doubt it.

Im looking forward to playing. never tried The Show before. I just dont know who my team is going to be. Cleveland is my team... but the AL central is a little boring. I like the Cubs in the NL too...
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I hope they somehow coded in the wildcard change so they can update it. I also hope they have Houston to the AL for season 2 but I doubt it.

Im looking forward to playing. never tried The Show before. I just dont know who my team is going to be. Cleveland is my team... but the AL central is a little boring. I like the Cubs in the NL too...

It's been confirmed that unfortunately the playoff change won't be in and I'm pretty sure that Houston doesn't go anywhere after season one.

I'm a dual Indians and Red Sox fan, but I actually might go with an underdog like The Nationals because a)they have great young talent, b)that division is loaded, and c)I like their ballpark. Of course I'll probably go with controlling all teams so I can mix it up from time to time.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

Also be sure to check out Road to the Show! I usually spend most time in RTTS....soooooo addicting!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

Also be sure to check out Road to the Show! I usually spend most time in RTTS....soooooo addicting!

Yeah I played almost seven seasons with my RTTS player last year. I only did hitting though which is why I could fly through the season. I know they were sticking to the "rules" but I hated how I couldn't become a free agent. Every off-season I would go through the calendar and refuse the first offer from my current team (The Phillies) in hopes that something else would come along but nope, apparently whatever team you start with has your rights for seven years. I eventually had to stop because I really needed a change of scenery.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I always like to pick a shitty team when playing franchise. Makes it a little more fun.
  • Options

Yeah I played almost seven seasons with my RTTS player last year. I only did hitting though which is why I could fly through the season. I know they were sticking to the "rules" but I hated how I couldn't become a free agent. Every off-season I would go through the calendar and refuse the first offer from my current team (The Phillies) in hopes that something else would come along but nope, apparently whatever team you start with has your rights for seven years. I eventually had to stop because I really needed a change of scenery.
    I always play a starting pitcher and a position player...usually infield.
    I love playing D with my position player and seeing how they progress with time, and training. Lots of fun!
  • Options
    All set up with a new xbox 360...the red ring of death strikes again! It was only 2 days without xbox and I was almost going nuts
  • Options
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

Wow, that does look good for a handheld game! Damn!!
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    All set up with a new xbox 360...the red ring of death strikes again! It was only 2 days without xbox and I was almost going nuts

I've gone through two xbox's man..pain in that ass! Why does the read ring happen? Is it because it overheats or something?

Games I like:

Gears of War
    Left 4 Dead
    Call of Duty
    Rainbow Six Vegas
    TETRIS!
    Mario's
    Mortal Kombat
    Street Fighter
    etc..
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420

I've gone through two xbox's man..pain in that ass! Why does the read ring happen? Is it because it overheats or something?

As the un-proud owner of a PS3 that suffered the yellow light of death (while playing an Elmo DVD no less!!), I did way too much research on this.

Since video game systems are considered children's toys, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are not allowed to use lead solder in them due to the toxicity of lead. You know, cause kids love to pull these things apart and lick the solder...

Anyhoo, long story short, lead-free solder melts at a lower temperature than lead solder. X-Box 360 and PS3 run super hot because of hi-def graphics/small cases/insufficient cooling, and they melt the non-lead solder which leads to catastrophic failure. I imagine the next Wii with will also run into the same issues.

Keep your video game system in a well ventilated area, and blow the dust out of it often.

There are companies out there that do a re-ball with lead solder. A properly re-balled system will likely outlast any store bought one.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • Options
    mini_tb wrote:

As the un-proud owner of a PS3 that suffered the yellow light of death (while playing an Elmo DVD no less!!), I did way too much research on this.

Since video game systems are considered children's toys, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are not allowed to use lead solder in them due to the toxicity of lead. You know, cause kids love to pull these things apart and lick the solder...

Anyhoo, long story short, lead-free solder melts at a lower temperature than lead solder. X-Box 360 and PS3 run super hot because of hi-def graphics/small cases/insufficient cooling, and they melt the non-lead solder which leads to catastrophic failure. I imagine the next Wii with will also run into the same issues.

Keep your video game system in a well ventilated area, and blow the dust out of it often.

There are companies out there that do a re-ball with lead solder. A properly re-balled system will likely outlast any store bought one.

Ah~ THat makes sense. I knew it had to do with something like over-heating. Hence why I stopped continuously watching DVD's on my system :( Bought a dinky dvd player for that haha
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
  • Options
    Ah~ THat makes sense. I knew it had to do with something like over-heating. Hence why I stopped continuously watching DVD's on my system :( Bought a dinky dvd player for that haha

I think the older model 360s overheated a lot quicker than the updated models. The new one I bought the other day has not overheated at all and it isn't as loud as the old one.
  • Options

I think the older model 360s overheated a lot quicker than the updated models. The new one I bought the other day has not overheated at all and it isn't as loud as the old one.

Oh that's good, at least they're trying to make improvements with it!
    Do you have the Kinect too? Is that pretty amazing??
  • Options
    Odd ... Sony still has the review embargo up on MLB 12 The Show.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    Jason P wrote:

Buying it later. I hope the online play isn't as laggy as it was on last year's game. I only play online.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Buying it later. I hope the online play isn't as laggy as it was on last year's game. I only play online.

I read they are using a dedicated server this year as opposed to client based hosting.