Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    Jason P said:

MLB The Show 23 Brief Impressions:

Thanks to Game Pass, I have The Show 23.  The game looks about the same … minor details and animations make it look better, but nothing revolutionary.   They are much more generous with cards for Diamond Dynasty, giving 99 rated cards right away instead of waiting until late summer (there are now “Seasons” which google if you want to find out how they work).  It is also easy to get free cards doing Moments … My team is already all 90 diamonds after doing 3-4 hours of grinding in Moments.  Hitting is better, although a future update could change that … last year it was great, then update bad, update good and unfortunately the last update was bad so I stopped playing The Show 22 late last year.  There is a DH now, so no more pitcher subs in the lineup.  There is a “bat” PCI indicator now that really helps me understand the bat path.   Commentary will probably be turned off by the weekend as it is about the same from last year.  So if you have Game Pass it is a no-brainer.  I don’t think I would spend $70 on it though if I had The Show 22.

Thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I'm not buying this game every year anymore, basically just for roster updates. I have '22 and will stick with that - all I really play is Franchise.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Jason P said:

Thanks to Game Pass, I have The Show 23.  The game looks about the same … minor details and animations make it look better, but nothing revolutionary.   They are much more generous with cards for Diamond Dynasty, giving 99 rated cards right away instead of waiting until late summer (there are now “Seasons” which google if you want to find out how they work).  It is also easy to get free cards doing Moments … My team is already all 90 diamonds after doing 3-4 hours of grinding in Moments.  Hitting is better, although a future update could change that … last year it was great, then update bad, update good and unfortunately the last update was bad so I stopped playing The Show 22 late last year.  There is a DH now, so no more pitcher subs in the lineup.  There is a “bat” PCI indicator now that really helps me understand the bat path.   Commentary will probably be turned off by the weekend as it is about the same from last year.  So if you have Game Pass it is a no-brainer.  I don’t think I would spend $70 on it though if I had The Show 22.

Thanks for the rundown. Yeah, I'm not buying this game every year anymore, basically just for roster updates. I have '22 and will stick with that - all I really play is Franchise.

Same. I'll stick with '22.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Jason P said:

Thanks to Game Pass, I have The Show 23.  The game looks about the same … minor details and animations make it look better, but nothing revolutionary.   They are much more generous with cards for Diamond Dynasty, giving 99 rated cards right away instead of waiting until late summer (there are now “Seasons” which google if you want to find out how they work).  It is also easy to get free cards doing Moments … My team is already all 90 diamonds after doing 3-4 hours of grinding in Moments.  Hitting is better, although a future update could change that … last year it was great, then update bad, update good and unfortunately the last update was bad so I stopped playing The Show 22 late last year.  There is a DH now, so no more pitcher subs in the lineup.  There is a “bat” PCI indicator now that really helps me understand the bat path.   Commentary will probably be turned off by the weekend as it is about the same from last year.  So if you have Game Pass it is a no-brainer.  I don’t think I would spend $70 on it though if I had The Show 22

That's a bummer. I haven't liked how over the past few years, it's been so freaking easy to build up your team. Everybody has a diamond player at every position. Hell, you have that and the game hasn't been out a week!

But that's a good move with the DH. It was so dumb they didn't have it last year. Do they still have the Showdown mode? I enjoyed that. 

I've bought the Show the day it came out for the past like 15 years...but I haven't grabbed this one. Maybe I will later in the year when the price goes down. I'm just not as into it as I used to be I guess. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Jason P said:

Thanks to Game Pass, I have The Show 23.  The game looks about the same … minor details and animations make it look better, but nothing revolutionary.   They are much more generous with cards for Diamond Dynasty, giving 99 rated cards right away instead of waiting until late summer (there are now “Seasons” which google if you want to find out how they work).  It is also easy to get free cards doing Moments … My team is already all 90 diamonds after doing 3-4 hours of grinding in Moments.  Hitting is better, although a future update could change that … last year it was great, then update bad, update good and unfortunately the last update was bad so I stopped playing The Show 22 late last year.  There is a DH now, so no more pitcher subs in the lineup.  There is a “bat” PCI indicator now that really helps me understand the bat path.   Commentary will probably be turned off by the weekend as it is about the same from last year.  So if you have Game Pass it is a no-brainer.  I don’t think I would spend $70 on it though if I had The Show 22

That's a bummer. I haven't liked how over the past few years, it's been so freaking easy to build up your team. Everybody has a diamond player at every position. Hell, you have that and the game hasn't been out a week!

But that's a good move with the DH. It was so dumb they didn't have it last year. Do they still have the Showdown mode? I enjoyed that. 

I've bought the Show the day it came out for the past like 15 years...but I haven't grabbed this one. Maybe I will later in the year when the price goes down. I'm just not as into it as I used to be I guess. 

I think having good cards available from the start is a nice change.  I vowed I wasn’t even going to play until mid summer because I was sick of the grind (and time) from previous years and waiting until August for decent cards.  There is a caveat with cards though … there are “core” players you acquire from the more traditional route (live players) and “set” cards for each “season”.  Seasons last 50 days and cards from that set are restricted on how long you can use them.  So Season 1 has Set 1 cards, Season 2 has Set 2 cards etc …. Set 1 cards can only be used in during season 1 and 2 in online and conquest play, so they become void for some modes after 100 days.  Core cards can be used throughout the entire year.

My team of 90 diamonds (set 1) from the WBC classic kinda suck butt.  2-2 against the Reds so far.  I’d rather have a gold Trea Turner leading off then a 90 Lars Nootbarr … I’m mainly going thru WBC missions to unlock a 99 WBC Mike Trout that will be unusable after Season 3 starts. (still better than waiting until October for the card).  I don’t see keeping anyone in my lineup once they finish their missions to unlock Trout.

I was looking at the top three cards for getting all the Live cards collected … 99 Jeter, Sosa and McGwire … I need to inject those players into my veins!  But I’m in no rush to grind.

• Options
    That’s cool that Sosa and McGwire are in it. It’s always nice when they add new legends. Wish they’d get Bonds. Remember the fake Bonds: Reggie Stocker?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    That’s cool that Sosa and McGwire are in it. It’s always nice when they add new legends. Wish they’d get Bonds. Remember the fake Bonds: Reggie Stocker?

I must of missed Reggie. =) 

Last time I can remember playing a VG Bonds was in Tecmo Super Baseball.  He was the best player in that game

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    Daughter and I are into Unravel 2. Really a good 2 player puzzle game. Has great swing mechanics. She can figure out most of the puzzles / way to progress as a 9 year old. Great graphics.
    Wish they made more games like this. Or like Portal and Portal 2, those were amazing.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Jason P said:

I must of missed Reggie. =) 

Last time I can remember playing a VG Bonds was in Tecmo Super Baseball.  He was the best player in that game

"Reggie" was in the game during the PS3 era if I remember correctly. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    Since I don't play as much games but do enjoy MArio Kart 8.  I Still have the Wii-U.  Anywho, The online version of it has been shut down because of security reasons.  The platform has been shut for a month now.  Nintendo says they plan on bringing it back but man, a month for a patch on an outdated system doesn't look good for the future.  I ight have to buy a damn switch now...
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,933
    Since I don't play as much games but do enjoy MArio Kart 8.  I Still have the Wii-U.  Anywho, The online version of it has been shut down because of security reasons.  The platform has been shut for a month now.  Nintendo says they plan on bringing it back but man, a month for a patch on an outdated system doesn't look good for the future.  I ight have to buy a damn switch now...
    Mario Kart is one of the best games hands down.  I was luckily gifted a Switch but I'd say it's worthwhile. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    The Switch keeps rolling out more interesting games than it's more powerful competitors ... 

Final Fantasy Pixal Remasters:  A+ remasters.   You can get the first six Final Fantasy games that are optimized for your current TV with a good amount of quality of life improvements.  All six games are pricey at $75, but you can buy individual games too.  Also available for PS4

Advance Wars 1&2 Reboot:  I had lost hope this game would be released.  Great strategy classic and good remake.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom:  The big one coming out next week

PSA: The new Jedi game is apparently suffering performance issues on all platforms and appears to have been rushed out to beat the Zelda release.  Never pre-order games in this day and age, especially an EA game.  Nintendo seems to be the only company that finishes games before release.
  • Options
    PSA for Xbox series S users: The new Jedi game has been fantastic so far - game and performance wise. Maybe i'm just lucky / less picky about graphics lol? Gameplay mechanics and graphics are great! I think PC is the platform that has been screwed over the most by issues. While most studios rush releases these days, the main one you want to avoid release day would be Starfield for Bethesda.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    PSA for Xbox series S users: The new Jedi game has been fantastic so far - game and performance wise. Maybe i'm just lucky / less picky about graphics lol? Gameplay mechanics and graphics are great! I think PC is the platform that has been screwed over the most by issues. While most studios rush releases these days, the main one you want to avoid release day would be Starfield for Bethesda.
    Going to pick this up real soon for ps4

• Options
    Dead Island 2 has been fun.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,159
    Looking forward to this. Fallen Order was great!
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,933
    Gotta hurry up and beat DragonQuest 11 before Zelda drops next week...and then hurry up and beat that before Final Fantasy XVI drops next month! That'll never happen, but I'm excited to try.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Anybody try the Diablo 4 beta? I heard good things, but didn't get a chance to try that game out.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    Yea so new Jedi Star Wars game is only on PS5, not ps4. so disappointed last night when I went to check it out...

• Options
    oh man that sucks, i forgot it's a "true" next-gen game!

• Options
    Anybody try the Diablo 4 beta? I heard good things, but didn't get a chance to try that game out.
    I did.  I was late to the beta so I didn't get to play a ton.  That and the server was finicky so there were wait times to get in the game and occasionally it would kick you off.  The game itself was pretty good.  I'll probably get it once it's fully released.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    I did.  I was late to the beta so I didn't get to play a ton.  That and the server was finicky so there were wait times to get in the game and occasionally it would kick you off.  The game itself was pretty good.  I'll probably get it once it's fully released.
    Gotcha - ya those servers will be less than optimal week 1 haha. I'm a big open world kinda gamer, so the possibility of playing a Diablo that is open world intrigues me.

• Options
    I'm finally getting into Breath of the Wild a mere 6 years after it came out and a week before the new game is released. =)

Finally starting to get a grasp on the concepts and controls ... my eyes are starting to open about the potential of this game.  Had to watch some youtube videos for beginner tips as it isn't a game that is direct on the mechanics.  I may get the DLC just so I can have the travelers map to see where I've been ... and that motorcycle looks cool for getting around.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I'm finally getting into Breath of the Wild a mere 6 years after it came out and a week before the new game is released. =)

Finally starting to get a grasp on the concepts and controls ... my eyes are starting to open about the potential of this game.  Had to watch some youtube videos for beginner tips as it isn't a game that is direct on the mechanics.  I may get the DLC just so I can have the travelers map to see where I've been ... and that motorcycle looks cool for getting around.
    The travel map helps a LOT!
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I just bought a used switch in preparation for Tears of the Kingdom release Friday.  A local store is having a prerelease Thursday night with giveaways, so I will be playing a day early!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I just bought a used switch in preparation for Tears of the Kingdom release Friday.  A local store is having a prerelease Thursday night with giveaways, so I will be playing a day early!
    Nice!!  Let us know how it is.  Got mine scheduled for delivery on release day.  Looks like next weekend will be completely shot.  hahahaha
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I got the game late too but also picked up The Official Guide. Helpful indeed in navigating the side quest type stuff. Amazon has it for ~$30.  Not that most folks have a problem like I do, but the map only holds 200 hours of travel time. Sucks if you take too long to complete things like me.

Going through Skyward Sword before Friday since there are floating island elements in Tears of the Kingdom. 

Our house is excited for sure for this one.  Even have the amiibo ordered as well.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I got the game late too but also picked up The Official Guide. Helpful indeed in navigating the side quest type stuff. Amazon has it for ~$30.  Not that most folks have a problem like I do, but the map only holds 200 hours of travel time. Sucks if you take too long to complete things like me.

Going through Skyward Sword before Friday since there are floating island elements in Tears of the Kingdom. 

Our house is excited for sure for this one.  Even have the amiibo ordered as well.
    It was too late to preorder the amiibo when I preordered my copy of the game.  I am hoping the store has some extra stock on hand. If not I will be trying my best to order one online on release day.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I tried breath of the wild and couldnt really get into it.

Its just weird with that tablet.  I hate the weapons always breaking.  The world also just seems too vast with little/nothing in it with a lot of dead ends/walls.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I tried breath of the wild and couldnt really get into it.

Its just weird with that tablet.  I hate the weapons always breaking.  The world also just seems too vast with little/nothing in it with a lot of dead ends/walls.
    That is what was great to me.  You got to explore and there was no set course especially if you didn't cop out to a strategy guide or the internet. Running out of food, broken gear, all likely situations that a hero on a quest would be likely to come upon.  It was like exploring a whole new world and figuring it all out as you went along rather than just being spoon-fed everything and mashing buttons or giving people head shots for hours.  Of course Zelda gamess are the only games that actually interest me so there is that.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Jason P said:

The DLC is some of the best content the game offers! I honestly think the Champion's Ballad has more story to it than the base game.

This was my intro to 3D games after having not played video games in about a decade (we're talking 6 years ago here). I was quite overwhelmed at first but stuck it out (wasn't gonna let $400 go to waste) and eventually started to see the light like you are.  I'm overly excited for Tears of the Kingdom now having 1000 hours of experience in BotW. There are definitely some things I'd do differently, knowing now what I didn't know 6 years ago about 3D games and open worlds.