Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    Kat said:
    Hard to believe it's finally here...have waited so long. Let me be that one to find the brightest sun...  :)  
    Inon Zur collaborated on this. 

Looks really cool!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    I want Starfield to be my next Witcher 3 or Skyrim. Trying not to jinx it, but my goodness it has potential! In a hilarious move by Xbox, they removed the 1$ game pass for one month option right before it comes out lol. I haven't been this excited about a game since Witcher 3. 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,948
    a5pj said:
    Kat said:
    Hard to believe it's finally here...have waited so long. Let me be that one to find the brightest sun...  :)  
    Inon Zur collaborated on this. 

Looks really cool!
    Nice!

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Here's the "live action" trailer. Friend saw it before it got released but couldn't say anything about it for obvious reasons.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Pretty cool place in Rochester, NY (national museum of play)

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    yeah, the strong museum is great.  Very impressive video game floor too
  • Options
    Bought a series X yesterday.  The Bethesda acquisition won
  • Options
    Played 2 hours of Starfield last night - this could potentially be a great game. Some of the gameplay mechanics are a little confusing, but like any new massive rpg game we'll get the hang of it. The shooting mechanics are good, no problems there. It def feels like a Bethesda game, and it reminds me of skyrim way more than fallout.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Starfield is looking like a classic Bethesda game.  I’m going with a Stealth / Sniper build.  Went with the Cyber Runner background and used Alien DNA, Introvert, and Terra Firma as traits.  Only have a few hours in, but my initial thoughts are that this is the smoothest running Bethesda launch title ever (low bar to jump).

• Options
    I've been holding out but with the new Mortal Kombat not on PS4, I'm getting closer to finally getting a PS5. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

I’ve got a little over 10 hours in Starfield and up to Level 7 … half that time was probably in the character creation screen trying to understand the trait and skills.  Weird not having VATS for gunplay in Bethesda game, but it runs smooth … not COD smooth … but combat feels good early on.   The map system is probably the weakest element of the game, but I’m starting to get a grasp on it.  I still have not found a suppressed sniper rifle!

TIPS:  When you join Constellation early on in the opening mission, you get a key to the house … go to the basement and find a spacesuit locked in a glass case with “expert” lockpick required to open … but if you line up your aiming reticle in a vertical (almost invisible) seam between panels in the glass, you can select the mannequin and just take the spacesuit, booster pack and helmet for free.  Also, to use the boost pack, you need to select the 1st skill level of booster pack training skill (do this early!).  Having boost really opens exploration and combat.  Also, always rest for 1 hour in your bed before exiting your ship for a 10% XP boost.

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P said:

I’ve got a little over 10 hours in Starfield and up to Level 7 … half that time was probably in the character creation screen trying to understand the trait and skills.  Weird not having VATS for gunplay in Bethesda game, but it runs smooth … not COD smooth … but combat feels good early on.   The map system is probably the weakest element of the game, but I’m starting to get a grasp on it.  I still have not found a suppressed sniper rifle!

TIPS:  When you join Constellation early on in the opening mission, you get a key to the house … go to the basement and find a spacesuit locked in a glass case with “expert” lockpick required to open … but if you line up your aiming reticle in a vertical (almost invisible) seam between panels in the glass, you can select the mannequin and just take the spacesuit, booster pack and helmet for free.  Also, to use the boost pack, you need to select the 1st skill level of booster pack training skill (do this early!).  Having boost really opens exploration and combat.  Also, always rest for 1 hour in your bed before exiting your ship for a 10% XP boost.

Good tips!  Spacesuit upgrades are critical, if the amount of radiated places I've visited is anything to go by.
    I'm about to hit level 10 and have done some exploring, many of which I've got off the ship only to have to get right back on due to radiation and cold haha.  
  • Options
    nautical_disasternautical_disaster Posts: 267
    edited September 2023
    Jason P said:

Thanks dude! Planning on playing a bunch this weekend. Just met the crew at constellations, so I really haven't done anything yet. There's a trade terminal when you initially get to the city - that's a great spot to sell all your junk from the initial missions. Easy 10K. 

Quick question for you guys: Can you actually wander star systems and land on any planet? It is wide open for exploration early on?
    Post edited by nautical_disaster on

• Options
    Jason P said:

Thanks dude! Planning on playing a bunch this weekend. Just met the crew at constellations, so I really haven't done anything yet. There's a trade terminal when you initially get to the city - that's a great spot to sell all your junk from the initial missions. Easy 10K. 

Quick question for you guys: Can you actually wander star systems and land on any planet? It is wide open for exploration early on?

The link below covers the basic of the map and fast travel ...

Basically you need to visit a star system and then you can fast travel to places you have visited.  I think you may be limited in how far you can explore based on the grav drive fuel limits.  Better ships may be required for deep space travel.  And as Rygar noted, there are things like radiation that may limit your exploration until you get better gear.  But so far I've been able to go anywhere I've tried in my limited experience.

Lots of stuff to get into for sure!

• Options
    Thanks!!

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

The link below covers the basic of the map and fast travel ...

Basically you need to visit a star system and then you can fast travel to places you have visited.  I think you may be limited in how far you can explore based on the grav drive fuel limits.  Better ships may be required for deep space travel.  And as Rygar noted, there are things like radiation that may limit your exploration until you get better gear.  But so far I've been able to go anywhere I've tried in my limited experience.

Lots of stuff to get into for sure!

One tip I've learned about exploration is that if you land somewhere and the radiation is too high, land on the other side of the planet out of the sun instead.
  • Options

I got Baldur’s Gate III on PS5 and it is very impressive …. But all I’ve played is Starfield since that came out. Bethesda has me hooked once again.

• Options
    nautical_disasternautical_disaster Posts: 267
    edited September 2023
    Jason P said:

I got Baldur’s Gate III on PS5 and it is very impressive …. But all I’ve played is Starfield since that came out. Bethesda has me hooked once again.

Everyone I know that plays Baldur's Gate says it's incredible - can't wait. It's kinda perfect that the game is prob a few months away on Xbox, gives me time to wander in Starfield. Random tip - if you go to the ship tech in New Atlantis, you can get an upgraded fuel tank in the edit ship screen - it's only a few thousand so you should have that if you've played for a bit. That makes it easier for you to travel to further star systems if you want to explore. 

• Options
    Jason P said:

Everyone I know that plays Baldur's Gate says it's incredible - can't wait. It's kinda perfect that the game is prob a few months away on Xbox, gives me time to wander in Starfield. Random tip - if you go to the ship tech in New Atlantis, you can get an upgraded fuel tank in the edit ship screen - it's only a few thousand so you should have that if you've played for a bit. That makes it easier for you to travel to further star systems if you want to explore. 

I have yet to get into the shipbuilding aspect.  Working on getting combat skill up first but will check this out.

Also, to get a decent new ship early, beeline for the quest "Secret Outpost!".  You get some pretty amazing armor as well.
  • Options
    Good to know! I have so many quests in the queue, i'll check to see if I already have it lol

• Options
    quality of life tips for Starfield …

in the settings in the main menu (accessibility), you can make the font bigger.  i would at least test it out 

also under settings (display), i would recommend turning Film Grain Intensity to 0%

Bethesda has also acknowledged that HDR may be wonky and are working on a patch to add to settings.  In the main Xbox menu go Settings > General > TV & Display > Advanced > Video Modes … you can disable “Allow HDR 10”    (note: this turns off HDR for all games.  i would only keep it off if you find it better.  just remember to turn it back on for other games. 

I tried this and didn’t notice much difference, but i did spend considerable time tweaking my actual TV settings initially. 
  • Options
    Game of the Year (based on games I played this year, not when released)

Super Mario Wonder – This is the greatest Mario game since Super Mario World.  It is guaranteed to leave a smile on your face. Solid year by Nintendo!

Runner Ups:

Zelda Breath of the Wild – NOT the new game, but the original which I FINALLY got into after several valiant attempts.  Decided I want to finish this game before starting the sequel … it may be a few years!

Street Fighter VI – Finally they have added modern controls so that a simpleton like me can finally pull off standard combos.   The art style is amazing and a very nice change from Mortal Kombat’s gore

Animal Crossing New Horizons – Another older game, but I put in a solid amount of hours after being laid up on the couch for a few weeks and it helped pass the time.  I’ve been playing with my 5 year old niece as well and having fun.

Gran Turismo 7 – It could be because there was a glitch that pretty much allowed me to get every car in the game, but this is the definitive console racing experience, as much as Sony tries to hinder it.  R.I.P. Forza Motorsport

Starfield – You had me at, “Skyrim in Space”

Armored Core 6 – Very fast and fun game that focuses on the single player experience.   Mech battles are fun and the level of customization is great.  This is made by the studio of Dark Souls, so expect a few infuriating boss battles, but not as hard as Dark Souls.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters – A+ effort by Square Enix on this package that came out for the Switch (and I believe PS4).  

Second Tier

Baldur’s Gate III – Game looks amazing, but have yet to have the time to get into it

Advance Wars 1&2 Reboot – Good blast from the past.  Didn’t suck me in like I thought it would.

Diablo IV – I played for a solid 75 hours, but hit a wall and haven’t had the urge to do the seasonal content

Honorable Mention

MLB 2023 – I played a ton of this, but got bored … new card system just adds a bunch of repeats and I don’t feel the need to keep restocking my squad.  Gameplay has been stagnant since the new gen came out.

F1 2023 – Solid game.   They added better control for using the PS5 controller that work pretty good, especially compared to last years game that I tried out on gamepass for free (pass on 2022)

Pikman 4 – A game I wanted to get into, but so far has failed to hook me

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Forza Motorsport – By far the biggest disappointment of the year.  I was hoping they would go for Gran Turismo’s crown and they really failed.  This is not a good racing game.  The car progression unlock system is dumb and and slow.  Lots of bugs.  Uses old game models.  Not a great outlook for Microsoft and their Game Pass subscription service. 

Games that look awesome but will look for when on sale (Robocop, dead or alive, you’re coming with me):

CyberPunk

RoboCop

Sea of Stars

Final Fantasy XVI

Alan Wake 2

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Dead Space Remake

Harry Potter Game

Octopath Traveler 2

Spiderman 2

• Options
    Thanks for the review! I had the exact same experience with Diablo 4. Still waiting for BG3 to arrive for Xbox, can't wait. 

Best game of the year: Phantom Liberty - the Cyberpunk DLC. Easily 10/10. The new section is significant in size, and the story is phenomenal. Since i'm a huge fan of The Wire, it didn't hurt that one of the main characters was Stringer Bell from that series (Idris Elba). Can't recommend it enough. 

• Options
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    I am downloading Baldur's Gate on my XBox during work today.  
  • Options
    Baldur's Gate won official Game of the Year at the Game Awards ... and yes, just released on Xbox!
  • Options
    I did the opening of the game and character creation during lunch.  I had no idea you choose which penis you have.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I did the opening of the game and character creation during lunch.  I had no idea you choose which penis you have.  

• Options
    Baldurs Gate was pretty overwhelming at first.  Started playing with a sloppy build that I didnt put much strategy or thought into it as I didnt know what anything meant.   It was tough and I was getting my ass kicked.

I watched a well made youtube video that explained the major mechanics, so I re-started it and it is a lot better now.  It looks terrific.  Great RPG system.  I'm a little disappointed though in how linear-feeling everything is.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Baldurs Gate was pretty overwhelming at first.  Started playing with a sloppy build that I didnt put much strategy or thought into it as I didnt know what anything meant.   It was tough and I was getting my ass kicked.

I watched a well made youtube video that explained the major mechanics, so I re-started it and it is a lot better now.  It looks terrific.  Great RPG system.  I'm a little disappointed though in how linear-feeling everything is.  

send a link of the video!