Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    IGN gave the Zelda sequel 10/10 on their review! 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,932
    Well gawdam, that makes this work day and next a lot harder to bear!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I may not get to Tears until August now that I've finally got into BOTW.  I figure I have 80 hours left in the original ... maybe 180! 
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Can't wait to play it!  That reminds me....I got to charge my controllers.  Haven't played the Switch in a long while.  
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Was able to pick up TotK at midnight. Played a little bit last night.  Very cool. Mother's Day is going to be interesting.
  • Options
    Was able to pick up TotK at midnight. Played a little bit last night.  Very cool. Mother's Day is going to be interesting.
    Ha!  Good luck navigating that.  My girlfriend picked our preorder up today, so I'm impatiently waiting to leave work.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Still waiting for the Amazon guy to drop off my game....

Ugh!

Hurry up Amazon guy!
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Well I have sank about 12 hours in so far.  First impression is that it is going to be a great game.  It is like BotW but with more. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Well I have sank about 12 hours in so far.  First impression is that it is going to be a great game.  It is like BotW but with more. 
    You got that right!  The wait has been worth it, so far.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Tears of The Kingdom is taking over my life.  I need an intervention.  I've spent like 60 hrs on it doing nothing but fucking off and exploring.  It's so immersive.  When AI takes over if they make a virtual world this cool we are fucked.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Tears of The Kingdom is taking over my life.  I need an intervention.  I've spent like 60 hrs on it doing nothing but fucking off and exploring.  It's so immersive.  When AI takes over if they make a virtual world this cool we are fucked.
    lol

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    Yeah, Zelda is friggen great!  Many hours and and I feel like i've barely scratched the surface!
  • Options
    If you want to read an entertaining review, check out ign's review of Gollum. I'm surprised they gave it 4/10...it sounded like he really wanted to score it 1/10 but didn't want the studio mad at him lol.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-lord-of-the-rings-gollum-review

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    Been playing Shadow of the Colossus . Cool game but the camera absolutely sucks, or it's user error...,
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj said:
    Been playing Shadow of the Colossus . Cool game but the camera absolutely sucks, or it's user error...,
    I played that game on PS5 not log ago, after wanting to play it since it game out nearly two decades ago.  It's an amazing game, but the controls got me heated from time to time, especially on the horse.  Fuck that horse. Some of the colossi fights were epic, though.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    a5pj said:
    I played that game on PS5 not log ago, after wanting to play it since it game out nearly two decades ago.  It's an amazing game, but the controls got me heated from time to time, especially on the horse.  Fuck that horse. Some of the colossi fights were epic, though.
    Ok the horse is terrible, the thing can't turn, stops running all the time, and when the camera moves on it's own it changes the direction you're running in. It's like I have to just try and move in straight lines. But once you finally make it to the fights it's really cool. I've beaten 7 so far I think and only needed to "cheat" (look up how) for one of em.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Any fellow Diablo degens in here? Lol
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    static111 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I tried breath of the wild and couldnt really get into it.

Its just weird with that tablet.  I hate the weapons always breaking.  The world also just seems too vast with little/nothing in it with a lot of dead ends/walls.
    That is what was great to me.  You got to explore and there was no set course especially if you didn't cop out to a strategy guide or the internet. Running out of food, broken gear, all likely situations that a hero on a quest would be likely to come upon.  It was like exploring a whole new world and figuring it all out as you went along rather than just being spoon-fed everything and mashing buttons or giving people head shots for hours.  Of course Zelda gamess are the only games that actually interest me so there is that.  
    I tried it again recently with a little more attention paid to it.

I get it.  Its a great game.  vast, great landscapes, decent physics.  Good items and system of powering up, and enough things really compel you to explore.   They did a great job of taking the Legend of Zelda feel and making it 3d perspective game on a modern console.

While I don't mind scarcity so much (have been searching for a new torch for awhile now after accidentally using mine in a battle), The oft-mentioned brittle weapons drive me nuts a bit.  I think the elixer/cooking mechanic is clunky as well.  They should have pre-made options once you discover how to make things or discover a recipe or whatnot.  Holding all the ingredients, then tossing them in the pot, watching them hop around for several seconds is cumbersome.  

I also dont think the side quests give you enough meat on the bone.  A lot of them seem too vague.  I don't want a game full of errands where it gives you the exact spot to go, and its just a series of retrievals... but a little more guidance on some stuff would be better.

The Shrines are great.  Good puzzles.  I have avoided looking anything up on the internet.  The only few times I have cheated on that are to obtain a few chests in the shrines.  

For now, I am doing OK.  I have been playing about a week here and there.  I think I have tackled about 24-28 shrines, 5-6 towers, 8 Korok seeds.  Explored quite a bit.  Have a whole lot more.  With my shrine upgrades, I took heart containers every time but once.

Not sure when I am going to pull the trigger on more internet guidance.  I am kind of a completionist when I get into a game (it isnt often that I do), so I am sure I will require it at some point.  I probably wont do it for awhile, I think I am still very early on the main quest, and I want to keep up with obtaining and finishing side quests (as mentioned, a lot of them are vague and I cannot progress in them).  Those memory pictures seem like they will be impossible without help too.  

• Options
    bflynn1 said:
    I've been playing Diablo 4 non stop lol

• Options

Street Fighter 6 is a lot of fun.   The “modern” control scheme finally allows someone like me to actually execute moves.  This is much more accessible than any fighting game I’ve played.

I've put about 15 hours into the single player World Tour mode and it teaches the game well.   Have yet to play any online matches.

• Options

Few new games and impressions (been quite a year)

Street Fighter 6: The modern control system is a blessing for those of us not skilled at memorizing 20 button inputs to pull off a cool upper cut.  It works great and I think makes the game much more approachable for all players.  I usually get excited about fighting games, buy them, realize I suck and won’t be able to pull off moves, and stop playing them after a few hours … I easily have 20 hours into the single player mode.  Fun and great style … nice departure from the gore of Mortal Kombat

Diablo 4: Seems fun so far.  Pulls me in better than Diablo 3 did.  Story, graphics and sound are great.  Surprised that it isn’t as easy to invite random players on missions.  I have a necromancer to level 30 and I’m experimenting with the skill system.

Final Fantasy 16:  Plan on downloading the demo. 

• Options
    Started FF16 on Saturday, but only put about five hours in instead of the 48 I was planning.  It's rather cinematic, and fun so far.
  • Options

Starfield is a week away!  Really looking forward to this one.

I got Armored Core 6, not really sure what to expect but the developer FromSoftware has my respect, so I gave it a shot … it is really fun.  Hard to explain what type of game it is, but it is like a flight/combat/dogfight game with tons of customization.  Not as hard as a Dark Souls game, but there is an early tough boss (within the 1st hour) who is a SOB that will get you to rage levels (took me probably 20 tries).  Missions are fun to replay.

Probably will try Baldur's Gate III when it goes on sale this fall or I catch up with my backlog.

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P said:

I got Armored Core 6, not really sure what to expect but the developer FromSoftware has my respect, so I gave it a shot … it is really fun.  Hard to explain what type of game it is, but it is like a flight/combat/dogfight game with tons of customization.  Not as hard as a Dark Souls game, but there is an early tough boss (within the 1st hour) who is a SOB that will get you to rage levels (took me probably 20 tries).  Missions are fun to replay.

Probably will try Baldur's Gate III when it goes on sale this fall or I catch up with my backlog.

I nabbed the premium edition upgrade for the steelbook but will get the base game from GamePass.  I am also excited for Forza Motorsport in October.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:

I nabbed the premium edition upgrade for the steelbook but will get the base game from GamePass.  I am also excited for Forza Motorsport in October.

I know i mentioned this before but my friend is working on Starfield. He did some of the visual effects on it. I'm not much of a gamer (last console i got was SNES :lol: ) though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    I've been playing Diablo 4 non stop lol
    You still playing?  After I beat the main storyline, and got into the Nightmare World Tier, there is NOTHING to do!  The storyline was good IMO, but after that, man....talk about boring!  I hope they come up with some updates soon, because at this point I don't see much reason to play anymore.  
  • Options
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:

I know i mentioned this before but my friend is working on Starfield. He did some of the visual effects on it. I'm not much of a gamer (last console i got was SNES :lol: ) though.
    That is really cool! 
    I still have my SNES, and all my other retro consoles.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

I don't think I've posted this here before.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Hard to believe it's finally here...have waited so long. Let me be that one to find the brightest sun...  :)  
    Inon Zur collaborated on this. 

Falling down,...not staying down