Options

If you met Eddie Vedder...what would you say?

Comments

• Options
    emeraldkityemeraldkity Posts: 370
    I'd tell him to buy some new clothes.

I have seen him dressed up so I know he has other clothes, but I swear on tour he just packs what he can fit into his guitar case.
    But I married a man who wears 501s virtually everyday of his life so more wardrobe money for me! ;)
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    again, I'd ask for chips and dip... and I wouldn't accept just one, he is rich!
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    pjtaper wrote:

Chips and salsa you mean.
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    pjtaper wrote:

Am I out of the loop?

WTF is with the chips and dip????
    Please fill me in.
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    FrankieG wrote:
    WTF is with the chips and dip????
    bump
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    he drank tea,and i had a glass of red.we talked about ishmael,among other things
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    mca47 wrote:
    "Get your ass to Alpine Valley!"

when did you run into him?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    if i ever met any of the guys in PJ, i'd just want to say thanks. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I said 'Thanks for the music and inspiration' and got in return the compliment of a lifetime. It was awesome! :D
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    Excellent question....

1) do you realize the impact you have had on millions of people like myself who have loved, suffered, cried to the words you express in your lyrics? Thank you and I am alive, because you've helped me to love and live.

2) when you go into the hall of fame please treat it with every ounce of respect you can. You are a deserving band and never doubt that notion. Thank you again
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    I met him after the Portland show 8 days ago. I shook his hand and said "I opened up for Black Francis two days ago, then saw you live. It's been a good week." He said, "Oh, no shit?? Congratulations, that's amazing, congratulations!"

It was the only thing I could muster, but in his eyes, you could tell he was genuine.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    I would say: Can I sing a song with you? Maybe Long Road, or Thumbing my Way or anything really! If not possible then just a hug would be more than enough! ;)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    So I am sure this is the million dollar question that has been asked tons of time on the board, but as time passes I am sure our answers change...
    If you had the chance to meet Eddie Vedder...what do you think would say? I am sure many of us have though we would freeze up if the opportunity presented itself. I have been following the band since 1992 when I traded a Chicken Chimichanga burrito in middle school for the cassette tape version of Pearl Jam's Ten. Some kid had an uncle who worked for epic and he had like 20-30 copies of Ten he was selling for $5 at school when nobody had a clue who Pearl Jam was....I got a steal on the trade since a Chimichanga was only $2 at my school. Best bartering deal I ever made since at the time I had no idea the Journey Pearl Jam and I were about to embark upon...

Well 16 years have passed and I finally got the chance meet Eddie on 4/8/08 in Berkeley at Zellerbach Hall. Ed walked out from Zellerbach with a sharpie on one hand and a cig in the other ready to sign as he approached the group of 10 or so that was gathered. I was the first person Ed walked up to and I told him "What's up Eddie, I actually don't have anything I want you to sign and I really just want to shake your hand and say Thank You!". Ed responded by taking a drag of his cig and said "Well let me do this proper" and he handed his sharpie to his bouncer and put his cig up in his lip and he reach out with his hand to shake and we made eye contact I said "Thank you Ed for a lifetime of great music. You have no idea how much I appreciate everything you have share with us." Ed responded "No man, Thank you for listening because without you guys it's nothing." He then asked if he would see me tomorrow at Berkley night 2? and I said "Hell yeah since I drove from Phoenix." Ed said "Phoenix...that's a fuckin' hot place ehhh" I laughed and said "No doubt." I will never forget how rough his hands were, but I guess when you rock a guitar for 20+ years it will have wear on ones hands. After standing next to Ed for about 5 minutes or so as he chatted and signed other fans items, I kindly interrupted Ed and said "Eddie I changed my mind, now that I got chance to say Thanks and shake your hand and that is checked of my list of things to do in life... I think I do want you to sign something for me and I pulled out my Sunset poster that I bought that night and Eddie autographed it right above the silhouette in the yellow sun. It looks freakin' sweet and I framed it yesterday and it is hanging in my living room now. I am so glad that I took the chance to say thanks to Eddie because I kinda felt selfish for taking in all the great music over the years and never saying thanks in the 16 years they have been providing the soundtrack to my life's journeys. So back to the question.
    I am curious what some of you would say to Ed if you had the chance to meet him? Or If you have met him before, I am wondering what your experience was like? Thanks for reading my post and sharing your thoughts.
    See you all around the bend...[/quote

Really nice post man!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    So I am sure this is the million dollar question that has been asked tons of time on the board, but as time passes I am sure our answers change...
    If you had the chance to meet Eddie Vedder...what do you think would say? I am sure many of us have though we would freeze up if the opportunity presented itself. I have been following the band since 1992 when I traded a Chicken Chimichanga burrito in middle school for the cassette tape version of Pearl Jam's Ten. Some kid had an uncle who worked for epic and he had like 20-30 copies of Ten he was selling for $5 at school when nobody had a clue who Pearl Jam was....I got a steal on the trade since a Chimichanga was only $2 at my school. Best bartering deal I ever made since at the time I had no idea the Journey Pearl Jam and I were about to embark upon...

Well 16 years have passed and I finally got the chance meet Eddie on 4/8/08 in Berkeley at Zellerbach Hall. Ed walked out from Zellerbach with a sharpie on one hand and a cig in the other ready to sign as he approached the group of 10 or so that was gathered. I was the first person Ed walked up to and I told him "What's up Eddie, I actually don't have anything I want you to sign and I really just want to shake your hand and say Thank You!". Ed responded by taking a drag of his cig and said "Well let me do this proper" and he handed his sharpie to his bouncer and put his cig up in his lip and he reach out with his hand to shake and we made eye contact I said "Thank you Ed for a lifetime of great music. You have no idea how much I appreciate everything you have share with us." Ed responded "No man, Thank you for listening because without you guys it's nothing." He then asked if he would see me tomorrow at Berkley night 2? and I said "Hell yeah since I drove from Phoenix." Ed said "Phoenix...that's a fuckin' hot place ehhh" I laughed and said "No doubt." I will never forget how rough his hands were, but I guess when you rock a guitar for 20+ years it will have wear on ones hands. After standing next to Ed for about 5 minutes or so as he chatted and signed other fans items, I kindly interrupted Ed and said "Eddie I changed my mind, now that I got chance to say Thanks and shake your hand and that is checked of my list of things to do in life... I think I do want you to sign something for me and I pulled out my Sunset poster that I bought that night and Eddie autographed it right above the silhouette in the yellow sun. It looks freakin' sweet and I framed it yesterday and it is hanging in my living room now. I am so glad that I took the chance to say thanks to Eddie because I kinda felt selfish for taking in all the great music over the years and never saying thanks in the 16 years they have been providing the soundtrack to my life's journeys. So back to the question.
    I am curious what some of you would say to Ed if you had the chance to meet him? Or If you have met him before, I am wondering what your experience was like? Thanks for reading my post and sharing your thoughts.
    See you all around the bend...

Just reread your post this morning (sober). I was wrong, it made me tear up again. It wasn't just the alcohol.

It is very bizarre having such a friend in a man I've never met. A friend who suffered a lot of the same growing pains as I have. A friend that communicates those pains and passions so brilliantly to me thru his words and music.

A friend I will most likely never meet to say thank you to.

Thanks be to you OP.... for expressing for so many.

PS.... And EV response...."no, thank you" classic humility and appreciation.

What a good friend (indeed).
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    "Hello"
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    i am extremely shy..just wouldn't be able to say, anything
    i was so nervous broke two little cameras trying to snap one picture during a pre-show~

:lol:
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Zanne wrote:
    I did, and I said "I've just always wanted to scream HEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOO!" He said "HEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOO!" back. Then I flashed him a peace sign and split.

that's it =)

Thats awesome! best one i read here so far.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    vedder89vedder89 Posts: 177
    i thought about the same thing just before i met him
    "what am i gonna say to him?"
    then he got up to me and i said none of the things i thought about.

i said it was nice to meet him.
    i thanked him for a great show.
    i told him id see him in in toronto.
    and then i ask if i could take a picture with him and he said "no but i can give you a hug"
    i was kinda surprised, but hey a man to man hug from my idol...sure ill take it.
    Stab it down, fill the pages, suck my fuckin' life out, man
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    If I wasn't so shy and had a few drinks, lol, I would say "Take me, I'm yours." J/K. I would probably say "Thank you for all your beautiful music and for being a wonderful person." Oh, and "I love you." :D
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    Do you think you'll see the CUBS win a WORLD SERIES in your life-time?
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    It would be something like Chris Farley did..

"Hey Ed, do you remember that time you and the rest of the band played Evenflow.....That was Awesome"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNBIyGxV7Ek
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    Yo Ed, what are your thoughts on the debt ceiling negotiations? me and a bunch of others on AMT would love your input? btw, please play present tense and slow lukin at pj20!
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    chossytachossyta Posts: 15
    i will ask him, why is the fixer album so blue...????
  • Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    I would look him dead in the face and ask him this: 'How the fuck do the Cubs have the 4th highest payroll and the second worst record in the League?'

We would then proceed to the bar, drink for hours, discuss how Soriano got that contract, do 5 shots, then just say fuck it, the cubs suck.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I would say "Mike's almost done with the solo for Evenflow, so wash your hands and get the fuck back on stage!". :)
  • Options
    Tboz51 wrote:

See you all around the bend...

Just reread your post this morning (sober). I was wrong, it made me tear up again. It wasn't just the alcohol.

It is very bizarre having such a friend in a man I've never met. A friend who suffered a lot of the same growing pains as I have. A friend that communicates those pains and passions so brilliantly to me thru his words and music.

A friend I will most likely never meet to say thank you to.

Thanks be to you OP.... for expressing for so many.

PS.... And EV response...."no, thank you" classic humility and appreciation.

What a good friend (indeed).

Tboz,
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life for me and reminding me of one of the greatest night in my life. I have read many of your posts and your passion, dedication and overall love for PJ and Ed have made me smile several times (both when sober and drunk LOL) Pearl Jam is truly the best band in the world and I know I would be a different person if I did not walk the Long Road down Pearl Jam Avenue.

Since that great night in Berkeley, I seen many shows and this month I got the chance to follow EV up the California coast. I feel blessed to have spent 7 nights with Ed on the road in July. This journey has completed me and made me whole again. I got to meet Ed two more times, got upgraded to front row seats at the LA Wiltern, and finally was hand delivered a pick during a live show by Ed himself at Santa Barbara. I will be buried with that pick, I promise you that! :lol:

It is funny to me to hear some of the shit that I have heard people say to Ed after his solo shows. In my head, I am thinking "are you f***ing serious? you just waited out here for over two hours after the show to say that to Ed? I won't get specific cause I'm not trying to start shit with anyone but I have heard some stupid shit and then to see Ed's WTF expression is classic.
  • Options
    fcbittencafcbittenca Posts: 345
    "Hey man, Have you seen Mike?"
    In love with music
  • Options
    dfunk49dfunk49 Posts: 28
    "Aren't you the drummer from Citizen Dick? You guys are awesome!"
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    meeting him on his own turf by accident? rather than at concert...

I'd say...

"Do you have any jumper cables?"

or

Nothing at all. Wait for him to speak to me.