Options

If you met Eddie Vedder...what would you say?

Hard2IMAGINE2007VICHard2IMAGINE2007VIC Posts: 638
edited June 2013 in The Porch
So I am sure this is the million dollar question that has been asked tons of time on the board, but as time passes I am sure our answers change...
If you had the chance to meet Eddie Vedder...what do you think would say? I am sure many of us have though we would freeze up if the opportunity presented itself. I have been following the band since 1992 when I traded a Chicken Chimichanga burrito in middle school for the cassette tape version of Pearl Jam's Ten. Some kid had an uncle who worked for epic and he had like 20-30 copies of Ten he was selling for $5 at school when nobody had a clue who Pearl Jam was....I got a steal on the trade since a Chimichanga was only $2 at my school. Best bartering deal I ever made since at the time I had no idea the Journey Pearl Jam and I were about to embark upon...

Well 16 years have passed and I finally got the chance meet Eddie on 4/8/08 in Berkeley at Zellerbach Hall. Ed walked out from Zellerbach with a sharpie on one hand and a cig in the other ready to sign as he approached the group of 10 or so that was gathered. I was the first person Ed walked up to and I told him "What's up Eddie, I actually don't have anything I want you to sign and I really just want to shake your hand and say Thank You!". Ed responded by taking a drag of his cig and said "Well let me do this proper" and he handed his sharpie to his bouncer and put his cig up in his lip and he reach out with his hand to shake and we made eye contact I said "Thank you Ed for a lifetime of great music. You have no idea how much I appreciate everything you have share with us." Ed responded "No man, Thank you for listening because without you guys it's nothing." He then asked if he would see me tomorrow at Berkley night 2? and I said "Hell yeah since I drove from Phoenix." Ed said "Phoenix...that's a fuckin' hot place ehhh" I laughed and said "No doubt." I will never forget how rough his hands were, but I guess when you rock a guitar for 20+ years it will have wear on ones hands. After standing next to Ed for about 5 minutes or so as he chatted and signed other fans items, I kindly interrupted Ed and said "Eddie I changed my mind, now that I got chance to say Thanks and shake your hand and that is checked of my list of things to do in life... I think I do want you to sign something for me and I pulled out my Sunset poster that I bought that night and Eddie autographed it right above the silhouette in the yellow sun. It looks freakin' sweet and I framed it yesterday and it is hanging in my living room now. I am so glad that I took the chance to say thanks to Eddie because I kinda felt selfish for taking in all the great music over the years and never saying thanks in the 16 years they have been providing the soundtrack to my life's journeys. So back to the question.
I am curious what some of you would say to Ed if you had the chance to meet him? Or If you have met him before, I am wondering what your experience was like? Thanks for reading my post and sharing your thoughts.
See you all around the bend...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    hey, are you scott stapp? can i have your autograph? :D
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    When i met him outside the Wiltern:

"Can I please shake your hand?"

EV- "Of course"

"Thank you for officially making this the coolest day of my life"

EV- "Thank you very much" (As he shook my hand)

It was so surreal.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I would tell him how his life is parallel to mine and which songs meant a lot to me. Also take a couple of picture together and give him a hug. :o
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    suns rival wrote:
    hey, are you scott stapp? can i have your autograph? :D
    Lol!

But seriously, this is a nice story; truly something to tell your grandchildren one day. And you're right: what else could someone say but "thank you Eddy".
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    When i met him outside the Wiltern:

"Can I please shake your hand?"

EV- "Of course"

"Thank you for officially making this the coolest day of my life"

EV- "Thank you very much" (As he shook my hand)

It was so surreal.
    :mad: <----displaying my jealousy!!! :p

you're one of the lucky ones
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    yeah it was pretty surreal watching Eddie walk up to us outside of Zellerbach that night with only his tour manager and one body guard with him. I must have looked funny from Ed's view since I was walking in circles like a chicken with my head cut off as he approached because at first I did not know what to do once I realized it was really Eddie. It really is funny the stupid things we do and say when we are put on the spot, especially when one of our heroes is walking right at us!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Great story! keep rockin', see you around the band :)
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    "I would leave my wife for you..and I have her blessing"
  • Options
    Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    Oh Hey Ed, wheres Jeff? I got a Mother Love Bone shirt i want him to sign, that Jeremy song is pretty good.
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    I'm not sure. I'd want to have a conversation with him and tell him about how certain songs have had a massive effect on me.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Why is it that you have so many stories of near death experiences? For the love of god, you're the father of a young kid! Just stay alive and out of danger already!

Nah. It'll be more like:

Hi. You need me to run official touring fan agency, for me to arrange ticket packages that real people can actually afford. Well, those real people who are spending way too much following the band around already. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about! Y'know, those of us who can't afford those ridiculous prices you guys charge for those elite bourgeois packages you guys offer up every now and then. I'd set up touring vans, blocks of seats on planes, arrange with local volunteers to get official pre-parties going (none of these bullshit ones set up by radio stations), hotels/motels/hostels/campsites, official lounging around doing nothing sessions on the off days, y'know, the days when you go surfing. Oh, and you guys really should put on the mullet wigs I throw on stage too. And keep them on for a whole encore.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    Thanks Ed. Then shake his hand.
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say alot... probably something along the lines of:

I... I... Love you...

and then i'd run away.... like Napoleon Dynamite.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    "hi i'm dunk.. you're no.3 on my £5million list... be honoured"
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    EdVedder_1EdVedder_1 Posts: 144
    If given the time I'd ask him to teach me how to surf. Or something along the lines of thank you, as it is only thing I've ever said to him is You haven't said Ball licker yet, and he called me an ugly fuck.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I would like to buy Eddie a drink and sit along beside him in silence sipping a cocktail watching the sunset. No words need be spoken.

I would take the Sunrise at Bonnaroo also! Maybe he will come take a little walksie in VIP!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    I'd tell him how much it has meant to me to have shared his music with my two kids all of these years. I started playing Ten while driving them to my son's ice hockey practices an hour away from our house. That was in 1994. Throughout the years, we listened to all their albums during those long drives together. And now that my kids are grown (22 & 24), we're going to concerts together.
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    I never get tired of telling this as my friends can tell you...

We were at the same hotel...

Eddie walks out with his security pal...

My friend sees him and shouts out.."Hey Eddie!"..then.."Ok if we shake your hand?"

He waves us over.

The two of us pretty well flew over the chairs in front of us...

My buddy shakes his hand..then I shake his hand and tell him that I've been a fan since near the beginning and thanks for the great shows/songs etc...and basically just said where we were from

Vedder thanks us back and asks if we're going to the show that night and a couple of other little odds and ends...

Here's the funny part...the whole time Vedder is chatting with me, he's still holding on to my hand..so..for maybe a minute hahah...and my buddy looks down at our hands with that WTF? look. Hahah. I didn't notice till that. Anyway, it was Vedder holding onto my hand..;-)

Then as he is walking away, he turns around and says..."Hey..by the way...I like your shirt"

Pretty random comment considering the shirt was just a Columbia button down long sleeve. Hahah. Anyway, pretty surreal and very cool.

By the way, when people who met him say that he doesn't lose the eye contact the whole time, it's true. Not for a second.
  • Options
    pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    So I am sure this is the million dollar question that has been asked tons of time on the board, but as time passes I am sure our answers change...
    If you had the chance to meet Eddie Vedder...what do you think would say? I am sure many of us have though we would freeze up if the opportunity presented itself. I have been following the band since 1992 when I traded a Chicken Chimichanga burrito in middle school for the cassette tape version of Pearl Jam's Ten. Some kid had an uncle who worked for epic and he had like 20-30 copies of Ten he was selling for $5 at school when nobody had a clue who Pearl Jam was....I got a steal on the trade since a Chimichanga was only $2 at my school. Best bartering deal I ever made since at the time I had no idea the Journey Pearl Jam and I were about to embark upon...

Well 16 years have passed and I finally got the chance meet Eddie on 4/8/08 in Berkeley at Zellerbach Hall. Ed walked out from Zellerbach with a sharpie on one hand and a cig in the other ready to sign as he approached the group of 10 or so that was gathered. I was the first person Ed walked up to and I told him "What's up Eddie, I actually don't have anything I want you to sign and I really just want to shake your hand and say Thank You!". Ed responded by taking a drag of his cig and said "Well let me do this proper" and he handed his sharpie to his bouncer and put his cig up in his lip and he reach out with his hand to shake and we made eye contact I said "Thank you Ed for a lifetime of great music. You have no idea how much I appreciate everything you have share with us." Ed responded "No man, Thank you for listening because without you guys it's nothing." He then asked if he would see me tomorrow at Berkley night 2? and I said "Hell yeah since I drove from Phoenix." Ed said "Phoenix...that's a fuckin' hot place ehhh" I laughed and said "No doubt." I will never forget how rough his hands were, but I guess when you rock a guitar for 20+ years it will have wear on ones hands. After standing next to Ed for about 5 minutes or so as he chatted and signed other fans items, I kindly interrupted Ed and said "Eddie I changed my mind, now that I got chance to say Thanks and shake your hand and that is checked of my list of things to do in life... I think I do want you to sign something for me and I pulled out my Sunset poster that I bought that night and Eddie autographed it right above the silhouette in the yellow sun. It looks freakin' sweet and I framed it yesterday and it is hanging in my living room now. I am so glad that I took the chance to say thanks to Eddie because I kinda felt selfish for taking in all the great music over the years and never saying thanks in the 16 years they have been providing the soundtrack to my life's journeys. So back to the question.
    I am curious what some of you would say to Ed if you had the chance to meet him? Or If you have met him before, I am wondering what your experience was like? Thanks for reading my post and sharing your thoughts.
    See you all around the bend...

Hey Ray! And to think you almost didn't wait around with me after the show :). Now you have a wonderful story to tell and a sweet signed poster! I think what you said to Ed was perfect.

I told him that the song "Come Back" got me through my husband's deployment, so thank you for the music. He said that he hoped my husband was back home safe, and I told him that he was and back in school, away from the army. He said, "Well, good, I'm glad." What a great guy. He had to run and was on his way out but made sure to stop and sign everything and chat with us for a minute. What a great night!
  • Options
    I'd say, "I've got a bottle of wine, a pack of American spirits. How about we trade stories back and forth until both are gone? Shouldn't keep you more than an hour. You down?"
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    "I would leave my wife for you..and I have her blessing"

lol... something along though lines. =) Except I would be leaving my boyfriend and he would probably ask me if we could share Eddie. =P

But seriously, I have no idea what I would say. I'll just overcome that obstacle if and when I am every presented with it. But it would fuckin rock and I wouldn't be surprised if I freak out and walk the other way!
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    I would be in utter shock...just euphoric. So I would probably either say nothing at all or something that I would regret. But if we were to have a real conversation, I would just thank him for everything, try to express what the music and everything means to me. I'd try to soak up some wisdom...
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I think you guys did just great. One thing I've noticed observing when fellow artists or musicians meet each other, they tend to relate on how the others art or music has effected or influenced them personally. Its a bit more meaningful than doing the Misery "im your biggest fan thing".
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    i'd say: "i wanna suck your $@#%!"

but that's just me.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    I'd say thanks. That's about it.
  • Options
    I'd thank him and tell him to keep on enjoying his craft and making music. Eventually if time allowed talk about our kids and parenthood.
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Hi.... he's just another person like you and me.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say alot... probably something along the lines of:

I... I... Love you...

and then i'd run away.... like Napoleon Dynamite.

:D

funny!

I'd probably just say "thanks, Pearl Jam's music has kept me sane all these years". :)
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    "Tell Stone to play his Les Paul for Corduroy and Evolution like he used to..I mean really Ed...enough is enough."
  • Options
    I'd like to tell him how much Pearl Jam means to me...that their music has gotten me through some of the toughest times of my life.

But what would be more likely to happen is i'd stammer out an "I i i ...uh, i love you." and start to cry. :rolleyes: :p