Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    edited November 2019

I can see if Steve wrote the songs but he's no Neil Pert.

Chris & Rich are essentially the Black Crowes. Like it or not.

If I had my way we would be seeing the 2005 lineup but there's no chance in hell of that happening. 

Steve wrote a book and slung some Mud towards most people in the band he played with for many years.

Mudslinging.

Im happy for the brothers that they are back together. This reunion does feel a bit different than times before. They are smiling at each other, sharing the mic in interviews etc. Chris has also admitted to having some issues and its not like him to come out and admit any fault. I hope they stay on this path.

The Howard Stern performance showed me all I need to know and its an easy decision to go and rock out to Shake Your Money Maker next summer.

Maybe by the time were ready to celebrate Southern Harmony they will have Marc, Sven and even Steve back

RIP Ed

Post edited by willbarclay on
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    nicknyr15 said:
    3days said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    I’m surprised at the overestimation from C&R on the choice of venues for this return tour , Midnight Oil was away for over 10 yrs when they came back here two yrs ago they played small venues the shows all sold really well plus having a full theater is way better than empty sections..
     Not their call.
    Surely they must see the list of places and have to agree no? 
    No, it’s all live nation.
    the bros have nothing to do with anything. 
    They're not booking individual venues, but the performer has to have some input or opinion, no? Whether it was the Crowes or their other bands these guys have been playing clubs and theaters for ages now. If the promoter says they're now scheduling amphitheaters that are 5x the size or more, isn't there a conversation? If you care about the performance at all?
    All the brothers have to do is show up and perform. Live nation has taken over all other aspects. Even merch from what I gather.
    Live Nation owns all the venues that are booked. So that’s the decision maker right there. If they don’t sell out then tickets will be almost given away. That way live nation can still make money off $20 beers, food and merch etc. 
    I'm having second thoughts about whether to buy tickets to one of these shows. While I do love the Black Crowes, it's starting to smell like a smash-n-grab job.

- No prior Black Crowes musicians outside of Chris & Rich. Originally, it didn't bother me due to the revolving door of previous BC members, but 2 people will pocket the lion's share, and that share just got bigger. I think that fact is worth considering.

- Chris referred to himself as a capitalist in a recent interview. Nothing overtly wrong with that, but maybe an odd statement to make during tour promotion. It might indicate where their heads are at. 

- Chris said something about there being "no jamming" during the upcoming tour. I also found this odd. They are most definitely, first and foremost, a rock 'n' roll band. However, they've also had some jam band tendencies for most of the band's lifespan. Why hamstring the tour with an ABSOLUTELY NO JAMMING clause? It sounds like pandering to nostalgia, or perhaps a lack of confidence in performing with new band members. My biggest fear would be that they're only putting forth enough effort to mimic select studio recordings with the new lineup. 

- Live Nation seemingly has control over the brand. Now we have a dramatically different website, expensive ticket packages, SYMM anniversary trinkets, and larger venues than the Crowes could hope to fill. It's a dramatically different enterprise than it was 5 years ago. I question how interested the artists are when they are not controlling various aspects the art. 

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. 
    Dude seriously? Pearl Jam has done nothing but shove limited edition merch down our throats for years. With zero new music. It’s all a cash grab!! Everything. You don’t think that PJ are capitalists!? Lol. Cmon. It always has been and always will be about getting paid for your art. I think the jamming thing is to bring more casuals into the seats because not everyone likes 10 min jams. 
    Dude, yes, seriously... And I ain't saying I'm right. 

I did say that there's nothing overtly wrong with being a capitalist. I also don't believe that there's anything wrong with making money off one's art. I'm cool with all that.

My question is simply this: How into this tour (or their music) are Chris and Rich Robinson? i.e., Will they play like they don't give a fuck, or will they act like the most rock'n'roll rock'n'roll band in the world? i.e., Are they truly interested in performing music together, or are they just tolerating one another for a payday?

Who said that I don't think PJ are capitalists? I never said that. I will say that PJ doesn't charge upwards of $700, $500, and $350 per ticket, for the closest viewing areas, or for any area at normal shows. I disagree that PJ shoves limited edition merch down our throats. People may choose to gobble it up, but it isn't packaged with the best tickets, or any tickets. You don't have to buy miniature Ten basketballs to be up close during a performance. 

BC were never really a jam band, but they could easily turn a 4 minute song into a 6 or 7 minute song... much like PJ (Rearviewmirror,, Crazy Mary), Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (Refugee, Mary Jane's Last Dance), or plenty of other acts. I don't think they typically performed 10 minute versions of songs, but I may be wrong. My point is, why slam the door on improvisation, or soloing, or noodling, or fresh ideas (AKA things that musicians often do)? It's one thing if they just don't do it. It's another to declare in advance that you won't be doing it. To me, it's needlessly draining the upcoming shows of potential creativity.

A smash-n-grab job is different than your average cash grab, in my opinion. Smash-n-grab is promotion without really delivering the goods. Smash-n-grab is hasty and poorly planned. Smash-n-grab is running in, doing quick work, grabbing the loot, and running to the next city. I've been to smash-n-grab reunion shows before. The shows weren't fun.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,934
    edited November 2019
    pearljammr78 said:

I think it’s funny that Steve Gormans book makes people say fuck the tour. Wonder how those same people would feel if Dave A. wrote a book and bashed Eddie and the band. Would they boycott those shows too? For me it’s none of our business what happens in the group’s dynamic and all that matters is what magic is brought on the stage. How many people quit seeing PJ when Dave K, Dave A, or Jack Irons left. My guess is nobody. But I could be wrong. Happy Fucking Thanksgiving!!
    For me, it has nothing to do with the book. It's the lineup, venues, and ticket prices.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
    While we're talking, I haven't read Steve Gorman's book. I DO disagree with his quote about the tour being "sad". To me, it doesn't sound sad that 50+ year olds want to tour behind a 30 year old album. Rather, I think it would be sad if they perform like a bunch of assholes. If they rock it out, and send souls a-singing, I have no problems. 

$700 , $500, $350 tickets are all part of the different VIP offerings. If you want a $70 - $100 ticket im sure you can get one.

The lineup is what it is. We can beat this thing to death or accept it.

Marc Ford is the best guitar player they had and everyone wishes he was a part of this, but he is burnt out on touring.

So between that and Steve putting the book out what can they really do anyway. Hire some good musicians to join and rock this bad boy out.

$700 , $500, $350 tickets are all part of the different VIP offerings. If you want a $70 - $100 ticket im sure you can get one.

Marc Ford is the best guitar player they had and everyone wishes he was a part of this, but he is burnt out on touring.

So between that and Steve putting the book out what can they really do anyway. Hire some good musicians to join and rock this bad boy out.

Tickets for the front sections were $140 before they jumped to $180 after about 20 minutes. Right now $85 gets me the last section of seats before the lawn. That's a hard pass. "In the door" is a much different concept in a theater vs a shed.
    Meh, $150-$200 range does not shock me anymore for a good show.
    $250 Canadian last year for Phish. It’s worth it to me anyway.
    edited November 2019
    Meh, $150-$200 range does not shock me anymore for a good show.
    $250 Canadian last year for Phish. It’s worth it to me anyway.
    I can totally get why someone else would pay that for these Crowes shows. Was only responding to the idea that the book is what's keeping people away.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Nobody really gives a shit what Steve Gorman says besides a few dozen prick hardcore fans. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

my buddy is going to the show in minnie. he paid $34 for his ticket in the lower bowl, near the back. sounds pretty good to me. and he's already there for Green Day/Weezer a couple days before or after, so win/win for him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    Just got a notice that there is 30% off select seats for the Black Crowes. Deal lasts through the weekend. 

No doubt. I was talking about the difference between PJ tours and the current BC tour. PJ doesn't offer $700 - $350 VIP packages for best in house tickets. They didn't do it before the front of house became pit either. They've charged high prices for charity shows, but not the average tour stop. For the Crowes, you ain't sitting best, second best, third best, fourth best... etc in house without paying VIP or platinum prices... for now.
    3days said:

No doubt. I was talking about the difference between PJ tours and the current BC tour. PJ doesn't offer $700 - $350 VIP packages for best in house tickets. They didn't do it before the front of house became pit either. They've charged high prices for charity shows, but not the average tour stop. For the Crowes, you ain't sitting best, second best, third best, fourth best... etc in house without paying VIP or platinum prices... for now.

Yes but that's part of the meet and greet and bonus merch stuff. PJ doesn't even offer that.

It makes some sense that if your doing the VIP Meet Greet that you get reserved seats at the front.

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015

my buddy is going to the show in minnie. he paid $34 for his ticket in the lower bowl, near the back. sounds pretty good to me. and he's already there for Green Day/Weezer a couple days before or after, so win/win for him. 
    $34 for lower bowl at the Xcel? Now I'm tempted. Is that including fees? I might want to wait until last minute anyway; chances are there will be seats for less than face from third parties, if I even decide to go. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

$34 for lower bowl at the Xcel? Now I'm tempted. Is that including fees? I might want to wait until last minute anyway; chances are there will be seats for less than face from third parties, if I even decide to go. 
    pretty sure that's what he told me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

3days said:

Yes but that's part of the meet and greet and bonus merch stuff. PJ doesn't even offer that.

That was my point. You don't have to buy extra junk to get the best PJ tickets at a reasonable price.
    3days said:
    3days said:

That was my point. You don't have to buy extra junk to get the best PJ tickets at a reasonable price.

ok but I like the extra junk. Its VIP only Merch that you cant buy at the stands. So that's part of the fun of it, for me anyway.
    3days said:
    3days said:

ok but I like the extra junk. Its VIP only Merch that you cant buy at the stands. So that's part of the fun of it, for me anyway.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I considered buying a VIP package myself (mainly to sit closer). Someone earlier talked about PJ pushing junk at us, and I was countering that PJ doesn't make you pay VIP prices for the best seats. Similarly you don't have to buy packages to sit in the second best seats. Or buy dice and a flask to sit in the third best seats. Or pay platinum prices for several rows after the VIP priced rows.

30% Black Friday sale on tickets right now and for the weekend.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    edited December 2019
    The ticket prices are crazy.   I paid 175/each.  I love the Crowes, I’ve probably seen them 20 times. But this tour isn’t exciting to me.  The only reason I’m going is because I have family coming In. 
    I hope PJ never stoops to the point of having platinum tickets, meet and greets, or charging extra for isle seats. 
    Yes, they like to sell merchandizing.  But, PJ has maintained integrity in their touring and ticketing process.  It’s not perfect, but at least we know they make demands for giving the best tickets to go to their fans at face value opposed to selling them for 750 in some bullshit platinum package. 
    And, I hope I’m wrong about this tour.  My expectations are minimal.  SYMM isn’t one of my favorite Crowes albums and hearing it in its entirety isn’t a bucket list thing.  I hope the other half of the show is interesting. The Crowes have so many amazing songs - I hope this isn’t just SYMM plus 5-6 “greatest hits” 
    Post edited by dr122931 on
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152

In Mansfield, only a few rows in the back of the sections just in front of the lawn are 30% off. Not sure about everywhere else, but its basically almost like a lost leader here.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

In Mansfield, only a few rows in the back of the sections just in front of the lawn are 30% off. Not sure about everywhere else, but its basically almost like a lost leader here.
    But surly once your in you can sneak up closer and grab an empty seat?
    dr122931 said:
    The ticket prices are crazy.   I paid 175/each.  I love the Crowes, I’ve probably seen them 20 times. But this tour isn’t exciting to me.  The only reason I’m going is because I have family coming In and thankfully I can afford it. 
    I hope PJ never stoops to the point of having platinum tickets, meet and greets, or charging extra for isle seats. 
    Yes, they like to sell merchandizing.  But, PJ has maintained integrity in their touring and ticketing process.  It’s not perfect, but at least we know they make demands for giving the best tickets to go to their fans at face value opposed to selling them for 750 in some bullshit platinum package. 
    And, I hope I’m wrong about this tour.  My expectations are minimal.  SYMM isn’t one of my favorite Crowes albums and hearing it in its entirety isn’t a bucket list thing.  I hope the other half of the show includes is interesting. The Crowes have so many amazing songs - I hope this isn’t just SYMM plus 5-6 “greatest hits” 
    My concerns are similar. Between SYMM and "The Hits" it's a rigidly defined show. All that is okay, but it feels like there won't be room for spontaneity. I don't mind their covers either... My Loving Cup, Space Captain, Oh Well... etc.
    Loving Cup is an awesome cover 
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    edited December 2019
    Not looking at setlists before is key
    Just did this for Tool and 311
    It's so great this band is alive in any form
    Looking forward to this show in NJ 

Post edited by Mikemzl91 on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,347
    I think it’s funny that Steve Gormans book makes people say fuck the tour. Wonder how those same people would feel if Dave A. wrote a book and bashed Eddie and the band. Would they boycott those shows too? For me it’s none of our business what happens in the group’s dynamic and all that matters is what magic is brought on the stage. How many people quit seeing PJ when Dave K, Dave A, or Jack Irons left. My guess is nobody. But I could be wrong. Happy Fucking Thanksgiving!!
    I don't think you can make that argument....unless Ed is on a par of douchiness with Chris. We've never heard anything to suggest that.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I don't think you can make that argument....unless Ed is on a par of douchiness with Chris. We've never heard anything to suggest that.
    I’d bet we’d all be surprised. I mean, takes a pretty sizable ego to arrange a bigger cut of the  profits. 
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    DewieCox said:
    Wobbie said:
    I’d bet we’d all be surprised. I mean, takes a pretty sizable ego to arrange a bigger cut of the  profits. 
    Please explain 
    edited December 2019

dr122931 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Wobbie said:
    Please explain 
    Ed gets a bigger cut and more stroke than the rest of the band. I don’t remember the exact percentages but finding out was one of those things that revealed my naïveté and made me assess how little most of us really know about a band’s motivations. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on