Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• I don't know why, but I listened to an interview with Black Crowes drummer (who's just released a book)... and so... Chris is the asshole in the band? Wanting 75% of the loot on that last tour that didn't happen in 2015?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I don't know why, but I listened to an interview with Black Crowes drummer (who's just released a book)... and so... Chris is the asshole in the band? Wanting 75% of the loot on that last tour that didn't happen in 2015?
    Chris’s reasoning for that was so he didn’t have to do the tour. He knew it wouldn’t be approved by the band and he really just wanted to continue his other career with the CRB. He wasn’t ready to go back to the Crowes at the time.
    who really knows unless your in the guys head. 
    Steve’s book is great, but a lot of finger pointing at the brothers. He admits he had some issues but I’m sure lots of juicy details were left out to cover his own behind.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,934
    I don't know why, but I listened to an interview with Black Crowes drummer (who's just released a book)... and so... Chris is the asshole in the band? Wanting 75% of the loot on that last tour that didn't happen in 2015?
    Chris’s reasoning for that was so he didn’t have to do the tour. He knew it wouldn’t be approved by the band and he really just wanted to continue his other career with the CRB. He wasn’t ready to go back to the Crowes at the time.
    Steve’s book is great, but a lot of finger pointing at the brothers. He admits he had some issues but I’m sure lots of juicy details were left out to cover his own behind.
    You're saying the guy who busted into Oasis's trailer to beat the shit out of Liam Gallagher may have contributed to the dysfunction?
  • pjl44 said:
    You're saying the guy who busted into Oasis's trailer to beat the shit out of Liam Gallagher may have contributed to the dysfunction?
    Noel?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I don't know why, but I listened to an interview with Black Crowes drummer (who's just released a book)... and so... Chris is the asshole in the band? Wanting 75% of the loot on that last tour that didn't happen in 2015?
    Sounds like BS. But i'm not in the know of the band. But sounds like a bad excuse when being caught being a greedy asshole.
    pjl44 said:
    Noel?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjl44 said:
    that happened? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited November 2019
    willbarclay said:Steve’s book is great, but a lot of finger pointing at the brothers. He admits he had some issues but I’m sure lots of juicy details were left out to cover his own behind.
    Exactly, from my POV, Gorman seems like dickhead 1b to Chris and while he doesn’t make like he’s a saint, he does whitewash and gloss over his part in it. And he wants to be invited back so much. 
    pjl44 said:
    that happened? 
    There are some great stories in his book
    I'm going to have to pick that up. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2019
    DewieCox said:
    willbarclay said:Steve’s book is great, but a lot of finger pointing at the brothers. He admits he had some issues but I’m sure lots of juicy details were left out to cover his own behind.
    Exactly, from my POV, Gorman seems like dickhead 1b to Chris and while he doesn’t make like he’s a saint, he does whitewash and gloss over his part in it. And he wants to be invited back so much. 
    does he really? when they announced the reunion his twitter just said "NOPE". LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjl44 said:
    that happened? 
    2. Gorman once tried to kick Liam Gallagher’s ass for slagging the Crowes onstage at Glastonbury.
    When Oasis played Glastonbury in 1995, Gorman was watching side stage after the Black Crowes’ set when he heard — or thought he heard — Liam Gallagher say to the crowd, “It’s nice to get that silly Southern shit out of the way so you can hear some real music.” Incensed, and admittedly drunk, Gorman forced his way into Oasis’ backstage trailer with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s and waited for Gallagher to come offstage. “This fucking kid is about to learn more than he ever wanted to about silly Southern shit,” Gorman writes. Cooler heads in the Crowes camp prevailed and persuaded the drummer to leave, but Gorman asked Liam about the insult six years later when the Crowes toured with Oasis. “What? No!” Gallagher said. “I thought it was a proper fucking rock band.
  • DewieCox said:
    does he really? when they announced the reunion his twitter just said "NOPE". LOL
    And from the radio interview I saw, about his book. He didn't say much about it other than "not surprised they are doing it". 

https://youtu.be/r5aPq6e3Wow
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited November 2019
    DewieCox said:

In every interview he’s had the chance to say that he would never take part and always stops short. His Twitter response was specific to this tour. 
    Ya, Gorman wants back. No doubt. 
    He’s always saying things like ...
    “ i don’t see it happening”
    “I can’t imagine it, and I have a pretty wild imagination”

that to me is not closing the door completely shut. I know other interviews he’s come out and said no way, but when he says stuff like the above it speaks to me.

that to me is not closing the door completely shut. I know other interviews he’s come out and said no way, but when he says stuff like the above it speaks to me.
    I don't know much about the BC, but just from what's posted above, not shutting the door to me doesn't equal he wants in. It just means he's smart enough to know that you never say never in this business. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2019

I don't know much about the BC, but just from what's posted above, not shutting the door to me doesn't equal he wants in. It just means he's smart enough to know that you never say never in this business. 
    I would suggest you read the book and then come back to me on this. 
    youll realize where I’m coming from. Based on his attitude in the book and If he can’t fully say no now without these other little “not likely” comments then there is something there.
    He also states how important the 2015 plan to tour was for him and as a way of thanking the loyal fans. That’s his biggest regret out of all this. 
    Well here’s his chance to make that right. Just have to mend that fence with the Robinson brothers somehow. Maybe live nation can do that for them? Maybe it’s alresdy in the works and part of their marketing strategy?
    Come out with a big announcement that Gorman is back. After all the book hoopla I’m sure this would sell some tickets. 
    But honestly, read the book. It’s a real quick read. I tried to take the finger pointing with a grain of salt.
    Post edited by willbarclay on

youll realize where I’m coming from. Based on his attitude in the book and If he can’t fully say no now without these other little “not likely” comments then there is something there.
    He also states how important the 2015 plan to tour was for him and as a way of thanking the loyal fans. That’s his biggest regret out of all this. 
    Well here’s his chance to make that right. Just have to mend that fence with the Robinson brothers somehow. Maybe live nation can do that for them? Maybe it’s alresdy in the works and part of their marketing strategy?
    Come out with a big announcement that Gorman is back. After all the book hoopla I’m sure this would sell some tickets. 
    But honestly, read the book. It’s a real quick read. I tried to take the finger pointing with a grain of salt.
    fair enough. I've been looking for another music book to read, so this one might be the next. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

fair enough. I've been looking for another music book to read, so this one might be the next. 

Im actually planning on reading it over again soon. See if I take anything more away from it.

Yeah, I agree. When you look at all the reasons he outlines for coming back in 2005, they pretty much all apply here. Even now he can't stop talking about it.

I just found a new Steve interview and found something interesting in his story. Hes now saying that in planning the 2015 anniversary tour Chris wanted him completely out of the band.

In all the (many) past Steve interviews I have read he has only ever said that Chris wanted to reduce his role from 33% partner to making him just a paid player like the others.  This new information is hard to believe because it wasn't mentioned from the get-go.

Here is part of the interview ...

And so at some point, in February of '14, his (Chris) wife, who was then managing his solo career, e-mailed our manger, Pete Angelus, and said, 'Please give this to Rich and Steve,' and it was a new list of demands that were non-negotiable. And it was he wanted me removed from the band ahead of the 25th-anniversary tour. So, he said, 'Steve's out, 'cause I need a real musician, not a talk-show host.' It was a comment — whatever. It doesn't matter, 'cause it's so insane, you can't take it seriously. So he wanted my third, so it would be 66-33, but then he wanted part of Rich's third to make it 75-25. It's the whole net for an entire tour — everything. Not for record sales — that's different. But touring and merch and all that's the bulk of it — that's the real money.

• 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    edited November 2019
    I love The Crowes, and am glad to get a chance to see the brothers Robinson perform again. However, I'm wondering if their tour is too ambitious.

Last time I saw them was in 2007, and it was at a now defunct, annual Labor Day weekend town gathering. Prior to that, in 2005, they were opening for Tom Petty. Prior to that, in 2001, they were playing to a 1/3 full 10,000 seat venue. Even when joining forces with Jimmy Page in 2000 they were having trouble filling sheds.

Now, they're scheduled for some of the same sheds that they couldn't fill before. The Black Crowes seem to have a club, theatre, small venue fanbase. I'm surprised by the decision to schedule them in larger venues. It makes me nervous about possible cancellations.
    Post edited by 3days on
  • Ya, Gorman wants back. No doubt. 

That's what he says in the  end of interview I posted above. So I guess this is quoted from that.

And him "wanting to come back for the fans" sounds like Ace Frehleys spin and them "waiting with bringing him back for marketing reasons" sounds like fans who wants Ace to come back to KISS says and believes that would sell noticeable more tickets. 

Yeah.. no.
  • 3days said:
    I love The Crowes, and am glad to get a chance to see the brothers Robinson perform again. However, I'm wondering if their tour is too ambitious.

Last time I saw them was in 2007, and it was at a now defunct, annual Labor Day weekend town gathering. Prior to that, in 2005, they were opening for Tom Petty. Prior to that, in 2001, they were playing to a 1/3 full 10,000 seat venue. Even when joining forces with Jimmy Page in 2000 they were having trouble filling sheds.

Now, they're scheduled for some of the same sheds that they couldn't fill before. The Black Crowes seem to have a club, theatre, small venue fanbase. I'm surprised by the decision to schedule them in larger venues. It makes me nervous about possible cancellations.
    Aren't their shows selling out surprisingly quickly?

Don't underestimate the power of the reunion tour card.

• hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    If you mean are the 3 sections closest to the stage selling quickly, then yes, but in an amphitheater with 14 - 18 sections plus a lawn, not so with some map screenshots I saw.

I bought the $99 tickets, but should have got the 4 lawn tickets for $100 deal, knowing that they'll probably close the lawn and give free upgrades when the date arrives. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,889
    That's why I'll grab a lawn seat in NH (only holds about 8-9000) for $30 and call it good.  Cheap price and the venue will seem full, lol.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    I’m only 50 some pages into the book, but I’m really enjoying it. References to the Long Ryders and Drivin’ n Cryin’.....two bands I dig.

it’s cool to hear how the band came together so quickly from the Atlanta music scene.....and how Steve basically bullshitted his way into being a drummer :lol: 
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited November 2019
    Every interview is basically the same. Change a few words here and there. 
    In his mind He wishes he was part of this 2020 BC show.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792
    edited November 2019
    Every interview is basically the same. Change a few words here and there. 
    In his mind He wishes he was part of this 2020 BC show.
    Well, he was a founding member(?) and with them up till the end...