Black Crowes double acoustic album, tour, hiatus, **RETURN**

Comments

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    $31 for that set is a great deal.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Speaking of CRB, how does one acquire the bonus CDs from Volume 3 without dishing out $60 for the vinyl? I would gladly buy the show from Nugs, but it's not there. Same with Raven's Reels Vol 1. I do have that one on vinyl, but this vinyl exclusive stuff is kinda annoying sometimes, with how much vinyl prices keep increasing.
    Speaking of CRB, how does one acquire the bonus CDs from Volume 3 without dishing out $60 for the vinyl? I would gladly buy the show from Nugs, but it's not there. Same with Raven's Reels Vol 1. I do have that one on vinyl, but this vinyl exclusive stuff is kinda annoying sometimes, with how much vinyl prices keep increasing.
    I have the 2 CD set if you want it. I’ve listened to it numerous times so I’m happy to pass it on. PM me.
    That's awesome, thanks! I will message you.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,133
    I think I’ll get two for lawn here in Austin,  $29 lawn tickets isn’t bad, and based on what I’m reading I’ll probably end up in the third row with the other 80 people there.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    I’m surprised at the overestimation from C&R on the choice of venues for this return tour , Midnight Oil was away for over 10 yrs when they came back here two yrs ago they played small venues the shows all sold really well plus having a full theater is way better than empty sections..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’m surprised at the overestimation from C&R on the choice of venues for this return tour , Midnight Oil was away for over 10 yrs when they came back here two yrs ago they played small venues the shows all sold really well plus having a full theater is way better than empty sections..
     Not their call.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    Surely they must see the list of places and have to agree no? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    after finishing the gorman book, I’m convinced Gorman will NEVER play with the Robinsons again. to do so would be the height of hypocrisy.

gorman burned that bridge.....then he dynamited it.....then he nuked it,
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    No, it’s all live nation.
    the bros have nothing to do with anything. 
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    So get ready for $20 beers to make up for their loss in ticket revenue. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    hihobibo said:
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    You think they are going to lower beer prices to $20??

=)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Poncier said:
    hihobibo said:
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    You think they are going to lower beer prices to $20??

=)
    $20 for a lukewarm bud light. Can't beat it. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,934
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    They're not booking individual venues, but the performer has to have some input or opinion, no? Whether it was the Crowes or their other bands these guys have been playing clubs and theaters for ages now. If the promoter says they're now scheduling amphitheaters that are 5x the size or more, isn't there a conversation? If you care about the performance at all?
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    They're not booking individual venues, but the performer has to have some input or opinion, no? Whether it was the Crowes or their other bands these guys have been playing clubs and theaters for ages now. If the promoter says they're now scheduling amphitheaters that are 5x the size or more, isn't there a conversation? If you care about the performance at all?
    All the brothers have to do is show up and perform. Live nation has taken over all other aspects. Even merch from what I gather.
    Live Nation owns all the venues that are booked. So that’s the decision maker right there. If they don’t sell out then tickets will be almost given away. That way live nation can still make money off $20 beers, food and merch etc. 
    My local small-time promoter always tries to overcharge for shows. Unless it's a must see, I wait for the inevitable 2-for-1 sale. And for some reason, the 2-for-1 tickets don't have all the extra fees. I did that for Cheap Trick recently, and many others that I can't think of at the moment. Robert Plant didn't sell out, probably because prices were crazy high, but they didn't offer a discount on that one. Oh well.

But my point is that most bands get a flat fee no matter how many tickets are sold, and it's up to the promoter to make their money back any way that they can. This is why I don't see anything smaller than a stadium for the upcoming Crue/Def Leppard/Poison tour. 3.25 million flat fee for those 3 bands. That's a lot of tickets and beer.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    after reading the book, I’m not sure I want to give chris another fucking penny.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    edited November 2019
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    All the brothers have to do is show up and perform. Live nation has taken over all other aspects. Even merch from what I gather.
    Live Nation owns all the venues that are booked. So that’s the decision maker right there. If they don’t sell out then tickets will be almost given away. That way live nation can still make money off $20 beers, food and merch etc. 
    I'm having second thoughts about whether to buy tickets to one of these shows. While I do love the Black Crowes, it's starting to smell like a smash-n-grab job.

- No prior Black Crowes musicians outside of Chris & Rich. Originally, it didn't bother me due to the revolving door of previous BC members, but 2 people will pocket the lion's share, and that share just got bigger. I think that fact is worth considering.

- Chris referred to himself as a capitalist in a recent interview. Nothing overtly wrong with that, but maybe an odd statement to make during tour promotion. It might indicate where their heads are at. 

- Chris said something about there being "no jamming" during the upcoming tour. I also found this odd. They are most definitely, first and foremost, a rock 'n' roll band. However, they've also had some jam band tendencies for most of the band's lifespan. Why hamstring the tour with an ABSOLUTELY NO JAMMING clause? It sounds like pandering to nostalgia, or perhaps a lack of confidence in performing with new band members. My biggest fear would be that they're only putting forth enough effort to mimic select studio recordings with the new lineup. 

- Live Nation seemingly has control over the brand. Now we have a dramatically different website, expensive ticket packages, SYMM anniversary trinkets, and larger venues than the Crowes could hope to fill. It's a dramatically different enterprise than it was 5 years ago. I question how interested the artists are when they are not controlling various aspects the art. 

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. 
    Post edited by 3days on
    I’m going to a show. I’d probably hit up 2-3 if there were others close by.
    i don’t care about all the drama, I just want to see a rock n roll show. And Shake your money maker is straight on rock n roll.
    Dont care that it’s live nation. Honestly, they are more organized than the brothers are so I’m glad someone is in charge that is capable.
    tons of bands are touring for their BIG album and playing them in their entirely. 
    I think Steve’s book has really got to some people’s heads. 
  • I’m going to a show. I’d probably hit up 2-3 if there were others close by.
    i don’t care about all the drama, I just want to see a rock n roll show. And Shake your money maker is straight on rock n roll.
    Dont care that it’s live nation. Honestly, they are more organized than the brothers are so I’m glad someone is in charge that is capable.
    tons of bands are touring for their BIG album and playing them in their entirely. 
    I think Steve’s book has really got to some people’s heads. 
    I am in this boat. We can argue all day what makes the Black Crowes the Black Crowes. But they are one of my bucket list bands I never thought I would have a chance to see live and now I can. I don’t care about inner band drama. I just want to see good rock n roll. What I heard on Howard Stern was good rock n roll. As long as an artist isn’t f’n children (Mikey Jackson) or beating women (Chris Brown) or some other heinous crime, leave the drama at home and go rock with your sock out. Is it a cash grab? Of course it is. Who cares. Not me. It’s not like they will be on stage making it rain. Live nation can charge what they want for beers and other things. It’s not like this is the only show they charge 20 dollars for a beer. Don’t wanna pay 20 for a beer. Don’t buy one. They are not mandatory. Everyone can do what they want and have their opinions. The lack of ticket sales is sad but if the tour doesn’t get canceled maybe it’s moved to a smaller venue or us that go get better seats. I’m just going for the music and experience. It will play out how ever it does. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,627
    3days said:
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
     Not their call.
    I'm having second thoughts about whether to buy tickets to one of these shows. While I do love the Black Crowes, it's starting to smell like a smash-n-grab job.

- No prior Black Crowes musicians outside of Chris & Rich. Originally, it didn't bother me due to the revolving door of previous BC members, but 2 people will pocket the lion's share, and that share just got bigger. I think that fact is worth considering.

- Chris referred to himself as a capitalist in a recent interview. Nothing overtly wrong with that, but maybe an odd statement to make during tour promotion. It might indicate where their heads are at. 

- Chris said something about there being "no jamming" during the upcoming tour. I also found this odd. They are most definitely, first and foremost, a rock 'n' roll band. However, they've also had some jam band tendencies for most of the band's lifespan. Why hamstring the tour with an ABSOLUTELY NO JAMMING clause? It sounds like pandering to nostalgia, or perhaps a lack of confidence in performing with new band members. My biggest fear would be that they're only putting forth enough effort to mimic select studio recordings with the new lineup. 

- Live Nation seemingly has control over the brand. Now we have a dramatically different website, expensive ticket packages, SYMM anniversary trinkets, and larger venues than the Crowes could hope to fill. It's a dramatically different enterprise than it was 5 years ago. I question how interested the artists are when they are not controlling various aspects the art. 

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. 
    Dude seriously? Pearl Jam has done nothing but shove limited edition merch down our throats for years. With zero new music. It’s all a cash grab!! Everything. You don’t think that PJ are capitalists!? Lol. Cmon. It always has been and always will be about getting paid for your art. I think the jamming thing is to bring more casuals into the seats because not everyone likes 10 min jams. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,934
    Do we think another band will get added to this tour? Not even a co-headliner, but just some kind of support? Hard to imagine them going with no opener on top of everything else. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’d guess they have a few options depending on how well it sells. Sure there will be at least one more band on the bill. 

Not sure they will add a bigger or well known band at this point. Advertising is already in full force so they missed that boat with making the splash announcement of 2 bands. Crowes are also doing 2 sets.

Maybe a 30-40 minute opening act. Who knows

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Not sure they will add a bigger or well known band at this point. Advertising is already in full force so they missed that boat with making the splash announcement of 2 bands. Crowes are also doing 2 sets.

Maybe a 30-40 minute opening act. Who knows

didn't someone mention the possibility of Blind Melon? but yeah, I highly doubt that would add too many butts to the seats. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054

Yes, I had read Blind Melon at one point among other names. I think Blind Melon would have been a good fit but not likely to happe. Now.
  • I think it’s funny that Steve Gormans book makes people say fuck the tour. Wonder how those same people would feel if Dave A. wrote a book and bashed Eddie and the band. Would they boycott those shows too? For me it’s none of our business what happens in the group’s dynamic and all that matters is what magic is brought on the stage. How many people quit seeing PJ when Dave K, Dave A, or Jack Irons left. My guess is nobody. But I could be wrong. Happy Fucking Thanksgiving!!
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,627
    I think it’s funny that Steve Gormans book makes people say fuck the tour. Wonder how those same people would feel if Dave A. wrote a book and bashed Eddie and the band. Would they boycott those shows too? For me it’s none of our business what happens in the group’s dynamic and all that matters is what magic is brought on the stage. How many people quit seeing PJ when Dave K, Dave A, or Jack Irons left. My guess is nobody. But I could be wrong. Happy Fucking Thanksgiving!!
    Exactly 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think it’s funny that Steve Gormans book makes people say fuck the tour. Wonder how those same people would feel if Dave A. wrote a book and bashed Eddie and the band. Would they boycott those shows too? For me it’s none of our business what happens in the group’s dynamic and all that matters is what magic is brought on the stage. How many people quit seeing PJ when Dave K, Dave A, or Jack Irons left. My guess is nobody. But I could be wrong. Happy Fucking Thanksgiving!!
    I was just thinking this the other day, that I'd love it if Dave A wrote a book. Same with the drummer for the Headstones. I LOVE to hear stories like that. I went to buy Gorman's book the other day, no copies at the chapters I was at. So I bought Flea's book instead. But I'll still be buying Gorman's at some point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD