Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    fuck ... crash ... wiggins and horner ... wiggins is out ... horner back on bike but not looking good ....

brutal
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    Crash. Wiggins with suspected broken collarbone and out of Tour. :( Horner and Farrar also involved but OK and trying to get back to peloton.
    Horner timed 5 minutes behind. :( :(
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Evans, he shoots he scores!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    absolutely brutal day ... a little peeved that hesjedal once again finds himself behind a crash ... like what part of staying with the other GC guys doesn't he get? ... to lose 3 mins on a stupid stage like this is brutal ...

levi is pretty much done ... and horner is toast ... major casualties today ...
  • Options
    Johan Bruyneel: Chris is going to the hospital to check out his head. Went down very hard.

(this sucks!!!) :cry:
  • Options
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/ ... nce_182706 :wtf:

"Crossing last was Chris Horner at 12:41 back. The RadioShack veteran was dazed and seriously banged up. VeloNews asked him how he was, and team spokesman Philippe Maertens said, “He cannot speak now! He doesn’t know where he is!”

Horner wobbled off his bike at the RadioShack bus, wondering if teammate Levi Leipheimer had finished, asking what had happened. He was transferred to a local hospital in an ambulance for observation. Team officials later reported that Horner had suffered a concussion and a broken nose."
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/news/radioshack-sky-among-chief-victims-of-major-crash-in-stage-7-at-tour-de-france_182706 :wtf:

"Crossing last was Chris Horner at 12:41 back. The RadioShack veteran was dazed and seriously banged up. VeloNews asked him how he was, and team spokesman Philippe Maertens said, “He cannot speak now! He doesn’t know where he is!”

Horner wobbled off his bike at the RadioShack bus, wondering if teammate Levi Leipheimer had finished, asking what had happened. He was transferred to a local hospital in an ambulance for observation. Team officials later reported that Horner had suffered a concussion and a broken nose."

So bummed about Horner. Surprised he even finished the stage. He didn't even remember the crash.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    that was SO jacked up today when the TV car took out two of the guys in the break. if I were king, I would give them both the winner's time.....and a chance to kick the car driver's ass!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    imalive wrote:
    that was SO jacked up today when the TV car took out two of the guys in the break. if I were king, I would give them both the winner's time.....and a chance to kick the car driver's ass!!

Yes, they should definitely have the chance to beat the shit out of that guy. I would like to myself!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    wtf was that driver thinking?! what a moron!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,478

Saw the whole car incident thing this morning, WTF, it looked like it could have been intentional
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 wrote:

Saw the whole car incident thing this morning, WTF, it looked like it could have been intentional

It certainly appeared that way to, no reason for the driver to have so suddenly swerved to the right like that.
  • Options
    this would be my punishment ... today is a rest day but at the start of tomorrow's stage ... i would strip the idiot naked and put a sandwich board on him that read: i am THAT stupid! ... and put him at the front for the media to take pictures and post everywhere ...

even so ... more GC guys out ... the entire first week has all been about survival ... even the guys that are still in it ... lots of them are injured ... what's gonna happen when they actually hit the mountains in 2 days? ... there is gonna be some serious carnage ...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    how's the doping scene :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    BLACK35 wrote:

It certainly appeared that way to, no reason for the driver to have so suddenly swerved to the right like that.

it looked to me like when it surged forward it was partially on the shoulder and had to swerve quick to avoid a tree. But still a bad move to be surging forward like that at all.
  • Options
    The 81 wrote:

if i had to bet ... i would say it's not as prevalent as public would think ... especially amongst the GC guys ... unlike in lance's hay day - these guys are having bad days and no one cyclist dominates both the mountains and time trials ...
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    http://youtu.be/tWT8yeHGA0U

looks like the car was going off the road and he corrected too much to avoid the tree...sucks all around
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    http://youtu.be/tWT8yeHGA0U

looks like the car was going off the road and he corrected too much to avoid the tree...sucks all around

Total idiot move. You know the guys are on your right, you either hit the brakes or suck it up and lose the mirror/scrape the car. The guy probably ran to the nearest train station as soon as he could. The guys that hit the deck are total studs for finishing the stage.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

if i had to bet ... i would say it's not as prevalent as public would think ... especially amongst the GC guys ... unlike in lance's hay day - these guys are having bad days and no one cyclist dominates both the mountains and time trials ...

Doping is probably at its lowest point of usage. I was talking to a guy who was figuring even Contador isn't doping at the moment, but was pre-Giro, and now his form is hurting. I guess we'll see in the mountains.
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Doping is probably at its lowest point of usage. I was talking to a guy who was figuring even Contador isn't doping at the moment, but was pre-Giro, and now his form is hurting. I guess we'll see in the mountains.

i don't think he was doping in the giro because i think he trained to peak there ... it wasn't decided until around the giro that his court date would be moved to august ... so, up until then, he probably trained like the giro would be the only grand tour he is doing this year ... you can tell he doesn't have the kick right now but i also think it's because everyone trained to peak at the TDF ... i don't think he can drop any of the shleck brothers in the mountains ...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    article-2013327-0CF455CA00000578-386_634x383.jpg

I know cyclist are not supposed to be as tough as let's say hockey players but Hoogeland rode the last 22 miles after being given a new bib. A crash I would never want to go through. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugvpg4LNgb4

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    I saw a tweet yesterday that said something like: If Peyton Manning had crashed into a barb wire fence sustaining injuries like Hoogerland did, and went back into the game we would hear about it for the rest of our lives. Ha! Cyclists are tough.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:

i don't think he was doping in the giro because i think he trained to peak there ... it wasn't decided until around the giro that his court date would be moved to august ... so, up until then, he probably trained like the giro would be the only grand tour he is doing this year ... you can tell he doesn't have the kick right now but i also think it's because everyone trained to peak at the TDF ... i don't think he can drop any of the shleck brothers in the mountains ...

Did you see Karpets (I think Paul/Phil said it was him) jack Contador right off the road with a shoulder. Clearly not the "boss" and I'd love to hear the inside story on that. Could you imagine Hinault, Lance, Indurain or Merckx getting knocked like that? I'm sure Hinault would track the guy down and deliver a beat down right in the road.
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Did you see Karpets (I think Paul/Phil said it was him) jack Contador right off the road with a shoulder. Clearly not the "boss" and I'd love to hear the inside story on that. Could you imagine Hinault, Lance, Indurain or Merckx getting knocked like that? I'm sure Hinault would track the guy down and deliver a beat down right in the road.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/ ... ets_183028

think it's a non-issue ...
  • Options
    The 81 wrote:

It's pretty dope!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    damn, Cav! you let one get away there.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I like Cav, but glad to see Greipel win one.
  • Options
    can't believe gilbert attacked with 10 km to go on a downhill flat finish ...

i think cavendish was a bit tired today with the climbs and just didn't have it ... Rojas has been a bit of a revelation this tour ... i think he's got the best shot outside of cavendish ... also cav won the intermediate sprint today amongst the peleton riders ...

can't wait for thursday ... that's when the fireworks will start ...
  • Options
    I saw a tweet yesterday that said something like: If Peyton Manning had crashed into a barb wire fence sustaining injuries like Hoogerland did, and went back into the game we would hear about it for the rest of our lives. Ha! Cyclists are tough.

Cyclists are the toughest athletes on the planet....it's the most grueling sport.

http://bluerubyrider.blogspot.com/2011/ ... acing.html
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Loved reading this....
    Lesson #2: Cyclists are the Toughest Athletes on the Planet

Maybe I’m a bit biased, but I don’t see any other sport requiring the strength and stamina displayed by cyclists. The sport in itself is grueling. They sign on for repeated days of hard riding at long distances with very little rest over 21 days. Even with all the adversity, physically and mentally these riders continue to display tenacity and unflappable commitment to the sport. Most of them make every attempt to ride through the pain and oftentimes succeed. Flecha and Hoogerland somehow someone managed to continue after getting slammed by a car in a high-speed breakaway. Today Hoogerland, with 33 stitches, managed to keep the KOM jersey that he earned on Sunday after the accident. Even amidst the tears of having to leave the Tour Jani Brajkovic was able to take a breath and say: “OK, I’m alive and have more than six weeks (to recover) to the Vuelta d’Espana.” Chalk that up to the thick skin and mental toughness required in this sport.

To be a cyclist (and that means me and you, too) you have to be able to suffer, sometimes fail, always suck it up and move on.

That’s Bike Racing.

I've been on some grueling rides myself and YES cyclists do suffer on the road and I don't even race. I believe it was said during today's race that they have one day races of 180 miles! Unreal....talk about suffering.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)