Options

*** London Fanviews Here 6/25/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    mcpakermcpaker Posts: 6
    Awesome show. I didn't have any sound or idiots in the crowd issues... I guess it depends where you are and who is around you. Black was a difinite highlight, along with the Backspacer tracks. I disagree that PJ should stay away from festival shows. As a diehard fan I think there is a place for both niche and broad appeal shows, especially as it is usually impossible to get tickets for the smaller indoor gigs. COME BACK SOON GUYS! I'm having withdrawl symptoms already...
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    nuffingman wrote:
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Anyway, Brain Damage? That is something im definitely jealous of.

That's what I was thinking. 24 posts and no mention of this? Was it the whole song? Was it as awesome as it seems in my head?
    Ed strumming and singing the opening lyrics before going into Corduroy. It was nothing to get over excited about.

?? I loved it..!!
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,014
    CrookedTom wrote:
    Good Stuff, not sure about the Arms Aloft / Not For You / Of The Earth combo. Seemed to lose alot of people. . McCready was on fire tonight.
    I agree with Arms Aloft, it kind of killed the set a bit but it did lead into Not For You well.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Yeah,last night's show was all about the Poster! >

Think we got the best deal those of us left here in our armchairs!

(agree tho - would love to hear brain damage - that's so unexpected it's sticking just below the radar!)
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    There were some American guys I was speaking to and they said, Lollapoloza aside, all indoor PJ gigs indoors are all seated, so they found it quite refreshing that people could have a bit of a dance. There were some real cocks in the crowd but you always get a few who are more overexcited than what they should be. Unfortunatley you just have to be able to handle yourself a bit and things are usually ok. Lots of small ladies tried to pass me to 'find their friends' closer to the front. It was quite funny when they couldn't take the moshing and I saw them coming back only minutes later!

I must admit I prefer their normal shows to a festival but being in the UK and hardly ever seeing them (ok, three times in the last 9 months in London but before that, you know what I mean!) it is great to see the boys ripping up a stage. They were very tight and played a great set. I would love to hear Jeremy, RVM and Brian of J but they played a set which would appeal to everyone, not just PJ fans I think.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I thought the show was great, not the best but I've been to quite a lot. I was VERY happy to hear GO. Lead vocals were difficult to hear at some times.

Now the crowd was about the worst I've been around. I personally was hit by three bottles and I didn't do anything to stand out, there were just that many flying around. I've also never been around so many rude people. These were the people who when navigating through the crowd just intentionally walk into you to move instead of trying to calmly snake their way through. Terrible crowd, very poor behavior, not by all but by quite enough.
  • Options
    chidoonechidoone Posts: 327
    Good festival show.... A lot of energy and you could definitely see that Eddie was concerned about the crowd's safety.... Sound and crowd was really average were I was, we had from the usual assholes that pushed everyone to move forward when there's no room at all, I was hit by a couple of bottles without doing nothing, I guess that's what you have to handle in this type of festivals ...

The openers
    I missed Robert Francis the Gaslight Anthem, I was at the Volvo Garden eating a burger and drinking a couple of pints and just checking out the Pepsi stage and the other stands
    The Hives were real fun and I agreed they should have been just before PJ, I like Ben Harper but let's be honest is better to listen to their albums on your sofa smoking a joint and drinking a beer than live... it just don't make me jump sing and have fun !! However Eddie singing "Under pressure" with him and Ben playing Red Mosquito were definitely highlights !! (First time I saw Red Mosquito live :D )

My Pearl Jam review.
    Main set
    Given to Fly as opener is really good, Brain Damage intro/Corduroy was really good, Once was brilliant,Unthought Know is my favourite from Backspacer and sounds great live,Nothingman was great and was my first time live, I disagreed with the guys that thinks that Arms Aloft/Not for you/Of the Earth kills the pace of the setlist, I totally loved it and was probably my favourite bit of the setlist (no "hits" there ), SOLT is always great and Wasted Reprise/Betterman/Save it for Later was a great combo to close the first set (singalong was really good during Betterman)
    Encore 1
    Just breathe is a beautiful song, Red mosquito with Ben is fantastic, Black and Porch are always good
    Encore 2
    Go has a great energy live, The Fixer is fine but I don't think it belongs to the encores (I was expecting something special here... Footsteps, Hard to Imagine, Crown of Thorns, Breathe,probably Baba or another Who song, Love Reign Or Me etc ) Alive is an anthem and we need to hear it every single time that we see the band live !!!! and then Ledbetter was dissapointing again I was expecting something different (even Indifference with Ben, but specially Baba or Rocking in the Free World )

Anyway another great night and after Belfast this was my last gig of this European Tour....hope is not going to take too long for the band to comeback !!!!
  • Options
    avlysavlys Posts: 91
    Not for you, SOLAT, Do the evolution and Go.

It was Amazing! :D
    who I was before I cannot recall
    18.08.2009 - London
    25.06.2010 - London
  • Options
    The pressure at the front on the left hand side was ridiculous after Pearl Jam came on. It was a real shame to see so many people who had waited patiently since 2.30 in the afternoon have to be hauled out to make way for those pushing from behind. Don't get me wrong, I expect a bit of action near the front at a show of this size, but people were in real distress. I started four or five rows back, and got security to haul me out from on the barrier during Worldwide Suicide when I decided it was never going to settle down. I was on the barrier by this point because literally every person who started the gig in front of me had had to be dragged out for their own safety, and pressure from behind then drove me forward into the gap created. Security were pretty good, to be fair, and their actions along with the good weather prevented anyone coming to any real harm (as far as I'm aware).

Anyway, once I'd got myself a bottle of water and wandered off towards the back the whole evening took a turn for the better. The Backspacer songs sounded great (especially Amongst The Waves and Unthought Known), Black was immense, and I was utterly impressed with PJ's ability to hold such a huge crowd in the palm of their hands. The people around me were completely into the show, singing along and dancing rather than chatting to their mates, which is not often the case further towards the back of a festival crowd. It was much better fun than being at the front, and I'm so glad I made the decision to get out.

So thanks Pearl Jam for another great show, but the lack of respect shown to the band by certain sections of the audience was an undoubted shame.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • Options
    The ignorant crowd stuff is little surprise to many of us Brits I fear.

I used to have a Bon Jovi T-Shirt (!:?) which said "We came, We Saw, We Kicked Your Ass!"

Sounds like PJ did just that, and they once again proved they can stand up with the unwashed masses. However, roll on the day when we can hear them with a 'pin-drop' audience again, or at least in a calmer festival - there are more and more alternatives these days.

Personally I'm gonna leave the macho types to fester in their own juices if I can - I've met people that could drop idiots like those to the floor with one single word, and most of those guys are quiet and peaceful genial and gentle.
    I like to take a walk out in the midday
    Checking life out in the park
    I like to take a walk out in the midday
    Ah, but I avoid the city after dark

YUSUF

Dancing is good tho!!

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Hung out behind the big screen ... space to dance, sing and have an amazing evening with friends :mrgreen:

Was a ton of fun where we were :D ... no prats, no bottle or beer throwing (we had beer land on us about 5 times in Belfast ... still an amazing night, but the smaller shows aren't lacking the idiots) no pushing or shoving ... nice ;)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    chime wrote:
    Hung out behind the big screen ... space to dance, sing and have an amazing evening with friends :mrgreen:

Was a ton of fun where we were :D ... no prats, no bottle or beer throwing (we had beer land on us about 5 times in Belfast ... still an amazing night, but the smaller shows aren't lacking the idiots) no pushing or shoving ... nice ;)

Sounds eminently sensible! And you're right, there are arseholes everywhere.

I guess people have to find out for themselves, but it's worth remembering that it's not 1969 no more!

• Options
    Fu ManchuFu Manchu Posts: 168
    The Band were on fire and they were fricken awesome. I was mid way between the stage and soundboard near the guy with the vuvuzela, a few idiots throwing bottles and stuff but all in all I had great time.

the boobs moment in betterman was hilarious :lol:
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    Fu Manchu wrote:
    The Band were on fire and they were fricken awesome. I was mid way between the stage and soundboard near the guy with the vuvuzela, a few idiots throwing bottles and stuff but all in all I had great time.

the boobs moment in betterman was hilarious :lol:

Now you're talking! care to elaborate?

• Options
    malcyrvsmalcyrvs Posts: 89
    I was left hand side just back from mixing desk. The sound was a bit muddy, but that happens at open air gigs.
    Saw the bottles flying, but everyone around me was peaceful.
    Highlights for me were Black which was insane towards it's finale. Nothingman was nice. Elderly Woman... this was when the crowd really seemed to pick up for me. Not For You was another highlight.
    I was in attendance with a fan at his first show who was just so happy to be there, and as previous sentiments have echoed, I did say he needs to see them at an indoor show of their own. It was the first time for his girlfriend who is a huge Metallica fan, she though Mike totally nailed it all evening which I think seems to be the consensus on this thread, he was damn good.
    Not my favourite performance, but there's a lot of bands out there who couldn't hold a candle to them and would be happy to play half as good as the boys did last night. (Bon Jovi who were at the O2 last night, I'm talking to you).

Oh yes, I saw the boobies during Betterman, broke my concentration somewhat. ;)
  • Options
    Matt SmithMatt Smith Posts: 26
    Didn't the camera stay on her for a while, then when she went to lift her shirt up...back to Eddie.

Couldn't have been timed better, so funny :lol:

Good second show for me. Positioned myself near the back left (but in front of the middle screen) for a easy getaway after I had a nightmare getting out of Finsbury Park after the Rage Against the Machine gig there a couple of weeks ago, no such problems yesterday though!

Glad to hear Not For You! Some guys behind me were screaming for Alive and Jeremy, and seriously complained about the lack of flames and pyros...wtf m8?
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 751
    Another immense show from the boys - they never fail to disappoint. The 'boobs moment' was probably worth the ticket price alone! Huge crowd singalong to the first verse/chorus of Betterman, then just as Eddie's about to settle into the second verse the cameras pan in on a young lady on her boyfriend's shoulders. She teases a shirt-lift and the camera pans away. Cue a lot of booing. Cameraman decides to pan back in - shirt/bra are duly lifted....huge roar from the crowd. Poor Eddie was just waiting patiently before launching back into the song with a 'WTF' grin on his face! :) A real moment

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    savmansavman Posts: 230
    McCready's behind the head solo on Evenflow!

Reeeeeeediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    Matt Smith wrote:
    Didn't the camera stay on her for a while, then when she went to lift her shirt up...back to Eddie.

On the big screens, it went: Woman on persons shoulders motions to lift her shirt up -> camera cuts to eddie -> camera cuts back to woman who has shirt up but bra on, then she pulls her bra down and bears all to 50,000 people.

it got a massive cheer :D There then proceeded to be at least 3 other boob-flashers on the big screens, come on I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw them all! There was one where the woman just had them hanging out, not even a proper "flash". The camera just panned slowly past her with them bouncing around. The last one was some girl in red, she hesitated a bit then went for it, then put her head in her hands in embarrasment!

I'm not going to get all high and mighty about it, I'm a red blooded male after all, but I'm not sure that 2nd verse of Betterman is a good time to go boob-flash crazy.

p.s. I'm sure these flashes will be on Youtube, just search for Betterman and I reckon lots of people will have gone to the big screens for that bit.
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    I'm sorry to say this but this was no more than an inch from Roskilde 2.

Those of us in the Ten Club who had waited all day, peacefully, were to a man/woman/child fucked over by the louts that came in later and turned the left hand side of the front into a '91 mosh pit. So many were hauled out. I counted over 25 over my head during the first three songs - so I reckon hundred+ were hauled out overall during the early part of the set, and it continued all the way thru. My wife got herself out during the quieter moments of Betterman, knowing what was to come post the half way point. I had to work my way out to the side and out once the band had gone off.

During those first three numbers so many people asked the security to get the band to stop playing, but they passed responsibility to the band's own spotters saying that "the band will stop if their people see a problem".

I'm sorry Eddie but all that concern for the crowd is just hypocritical bullshit. You could see the tens of people being pulled out and would not stop playing.

How many times have I heard "we can stop on a dime" "look after your neighbour" etc Bollocks!

Don't ever knock BP for their saftey record again until you have got your own record sorted out much better than yesterday

I have no idea if it was a good show. The set list looks great the energy on stage looked great but when you are fearing for the lives of your family and fellow fans there was no way to concentrate on the music/band at all.

Fuckin hopeless.
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    JimNastics wrote:
    Matt Smith wrote:

p.s. I'm sure these flashes will be on Youtube, just search for Betterman and I reckon lots of people will have gone to the big screens for that bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmq2HTJL60

1:18 ;)
  • Options
    markbushymarkbushy Posts: 28
    Fantastic night!
    Great atmoshpere. The energy from the band especially McCready and Eddie was out of this world. Was at the front left and was distracted by McCready all night :lol:

There were some louts there but I think I'm just getting used to them being at these types of shows now but by the time Pearl Jam came on they either moved away or I stopped noticing :D

There were a lot of people going down/fainting/passing out by where we were and if any are reading then I hope you have all recovered well today :) I have to hand it to the security by us for reacting quickly and getting these people out asap, well done guys
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    :lol::lol: i still laughing,,,what a show!!we make so much fun with Bas,Kim,martin...
    we jump like idiots and the guys around us really understand what a pearl jam freak is...
    setlist was so fast,i love it!!!solat 2 nights in the row??wow!!!once 2 times in 3 gigs?whohhooo,,
    i dont have to explain the better man dance anymore,,this song become a greek traditional dance now.. :lol::lol: OPA!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    btw nice flasing of the blonde girl!!!keep on :lol::lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hey!!!is the queen still jamming???? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    and in ylb what was the tag???was beatles?
  • Options
    paulus2112paulus2112 Posts: 52
    Matt Smith wrote:

Good second show for me. Positioned myself near the back left (but in front of the middle screen) for a easy getaway after I had a nightmare getting out of Finsbury Park after the Rage Against the Machine gig there a couple of weeks ago, no such problems yesterday though!

We had the same idea on leaving, RATM was horrendous getting trapped under those bridges by the mounted police!! The walk from Hyde Park to Victoria last night was pleasant though.

Thought the gig was amazing, started out in the middle of the crowd but we got fed up with so many cock heads (Pink bra man especially) throwing beer about and pushing into us.

Once we moved further back we had a much better time, sound was still good and we had a decent view of the big screens.

Brain damage intro to courdroy was a nice surprise and State of Love and Trust was the highlight of the night for me.

I'll be getting tickets for every UK gig from now on...
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    milan wrote:
    I'm sorry to say this but this was no more than an inch from Roskilde 2...

I have no idea if it was a good show. The set list looks great the energy on stage looked great but when you are fearing for the lives of your family and fellow fans there was no way to concentrate on the music/band at all.

Fuckin hopeless.

A bit of exaggeration!

Yes, it was a bit rough, mainly the first 15 or so rows on Mike's side, towards the centre. Most people I saw that got pulled out were not distressed, but could not put up with the crowd and couldn't 'retreat'. There were some people genuinely distressed and one girl was wheeled away on a stretcher (but she came from way further back). I think Ed got really concerned when he saw her. Spoke to one of the paramedics after the gig. The main problem was alcohol which, obviously, 'explains' behaviour. But he also said quite a number of people who had been there since the gates opened were dehydrated (drinking alcohol and no water) and that didn't help with the 'feeling faint'. I don't think all realise that being in the front at a festival with 45000 behind you is waaaaaaaaaaaay different than being front row in an arena where you might have 5/6000 people standing and it's not for everyone. Yes, there were pricks and bottles flying (plastic, I might add, so people don't think glass bottles were hurled in the air).

I was about 20m in, centre barrier (the 'corridor' in the middle). It was 'active' but not rough and we weren't squished. There were some people pushing to the front and a lot way to drunk for their own good. After the main set, I wanted to go further back to meet up with mates, but it was way too tight to get anywhere.

Saying all of that, it was a great gig. The band was on fire and it showed.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,984
    I saw some fighting as we left, no idea what it was about but one guy had a pretty bad gash on his head - was totally weird, I mean its a fucking Pearl Jam show, not White Zombie. Then there were all the drunk/stoned people crowding around the police horses tripping balls about seeing a horse...I mean I was drunk, dont get me wrong, but the whole scene was just odd. Then we were held at a gate by the police, with a comedy copper up in a tower trying to tell jokes to 'entertain' the crowd. He kept making jokes about us all being sheep, which tbh was making me want to start a riot. Then we were hearded down into a deadend forcing lots of us to have to jump the barriers to keep on the move/flee. Utterly strange end to a fantastic day.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    There were some people genuinely distressed and one girl was wheeled away on a stretcher (but she came from way further back).

When did this become acceptable at a Pearl Jam show post Roskilde?
    I must have missed that.
    What a joke
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • Options
    milan wrote:
    There were some people genuinely distressed and one girl was wheeled away on a stretcher (but she came from way further back).

When did this become acceptable at a Pearl Jam show post Roskilde?
    I must have missed that.
    What a joke

At the end of the day Pearl Jam can't take responsibility for what an uncouth bunch of louts us British men are. They played, they got out of there, nobody died to my knowledge, I prayed (from home - not so faraway), the band undoubtedly prayed.

I tell you one thing for certain though, the next audience members killed at a show somewhere in the world- it won't be a Pearl Jam show