iPhone 4.0 vs HTC Droid Incredible

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Hey Norm - Does your Droid sync up with iTunes for music and video, or do you need to manipulate it differently? I'm assuming it's different.

...and what's up with the Droid X deep "hump" on the back of the thing? That might be a dealbreaker right there. I wouldn't mind if the whole phone were relatively streamlined, but a giant bump?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    going to go pick up some EVO's today. 8-)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Hey Norm - Does your Droid sync up with iTunes for music and video, or do you need to manipulate it differently? I'm assuming it's different.

no...but there are several apps that can do it...i use doubletwist...it syncs with itunes which syncs with android
    CJMST3K wrote:
    ...and what's up with the Droid X deep "hump" on the back of the thing? That might be a dealbreaker right there. I wouldn't mind if the whole phone were relatively streamlined, but a giant bump?

must have missed that...assuming it's for a larger battery which it desperately needs...if i'm using my droid for web browsing and say playing music for most of a day, the battery doesn't last
    "The Droid X has a flat back with a bump where the camera and flash are located. Though this bump isn't especially annoying, it is noticeable."

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content ... 9232c8.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    CJMST3K wrote:
    "Though this bump isn't especially annoying, it is noticeable."

Though not my best work, it's been a while since we got a - "That's what she said"
    CJMST3K wrote:
    "The Droid X has a flat back with a bump where the camera and flash are located. Though this bump isn't especially annoying, it is noticeable."

eh, not a deal breaker for me...the original droid is entirely that size so i doubt it would bother me
    norm wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

eh, not a deal breaker for me...the original droid is entirely that size so i doubt it would bother me

...and a side shot.

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content ... 88d186.jpg
    CJMST3K wrote:
    "Though this bump isn't especially annoying, it is noticeable."

Though not my best work, it's been a while since we got a - "That's what she said"

:D
    Posting from the Evo
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:
    Posting from the Evo

When I mess with my phone a lot at work they yell at me...

"Quit finger fucking your phone!"

:eh:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    81 wrote:
    Posting from the Evo

When I mess with my phone a lot at work they yell at me...

"Quit finger fucking your phone!"

:eh:

:lol:

i won't be doing that, but i may very well be streaming pj radio on it. :D

the evo is one bad ass phone
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    moe.ron wrote:

turns out the maker of the video sells phones for best buy and believes he will be fired over vids

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/01/20 ... -make.html
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Figured I'd chime in since i'm waiting on the iPhone 4 to ship to my house in a week or so. My friend has it and it's amazing. The screen quality alone is unbeliavable. After seeing the iPhone screen and droid screens, I would much rather have a better screen over a larger one. And like I said before about the camera, it's much better than the 8.0 mp ones. Just look it up.

Oh and the antenna issue around where I live at least, is nothing. I death gripped it with the case off and it only lost one bar. So I'm glad that's fine.

Oh and the battery life on it is amazing too from what I've heard
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Figured I'd chime in since i'm waiting on the iPhone 4 to ship to my house in a week or so. My friend has it and it's amazing. The screen quality alone is unbeliavable. After seeing the iPhone screen and droid screens, I would much rather have a better screen over a larger one. And like I said before about the camera, it's much better than the 8.0 mp ones. Just look it up.

Oh and the antenna issue around where I live at least, is nothing. I death gripped it with the case off and it only lost one bar. So I'm glad that's fine.

Oh and the battery life on it is amazing too from what I've heard
    The screen is the best i've seen

Personally it comes down to I'm not going to AT&T so whats the best thing Verizon has. I had stuck with a blackberry for a while becuase i just did not think the droids were close enough to the iphone to justify having it.

I now feel that has changed and I feel that the Droid offers some things better then the iphone does and is still not on part with others, but they are close enough i don't feel like it is "inferior"

If i was on AT&T i woudl be happy with my iphone. My roomate has one and loves it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    steveDenial.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    81 wrote:
    steveDenial.jpg

HAHAHA
    81 wrote:
    steveDenial.jpg

:clap::clap:
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

Dear iPhone 4 Users,

The iPhone 4 has been the most successful product launch in Apple’s history. It has been judged by reviewers around the world to be the best smartphone ever, and users have told us that they love it. So we were surprised when we read reports of reception problems, and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.

To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones. But some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design.

At the same time, we continue to read articles and receive hundreds of emails from users saying that iPhone 4 reception is better than the iPhone 3GS. They are delighted. This matches our own experience and testing. What can explain all of this?

We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone’s bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.

We hope you love the iPhone 4 as much as we do.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Apple

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?source=mig& ... otnews.rss

now... this could be 100% true, but it reminds me of the old political joke where you raise the poverty line and all of a sudden there are less poor in the country. If the poverty line is $25k a year and 5 million people are living in poverty, with a stroke of a pen, the government can make the poverty like $27k and now only 4 million people are living in poverty... One million less poor, something to campaign on :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    i hold my droid the same way all the time and signal strength is the same...more smoke and mirrors bullshit from steve :roll:
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/droi ... e-hotspot/

Well, it looks like Droid Incredible owners might soon be rewarded with more than a $25 gift card -- Droid Life is reporting that the phone is set to get an OTA update that will add some of the most oft-requested features. That includes mobile hotspot functionality, 720p video recording and, last but not least, the familiar Droid red eye boot animation that's been curiously absent. No word on a rollout date just yet, but Droid Life's tipster has provided some pics, and a video of that boot sequence (check it out after the break).

:thumbup:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    sweet!

Someday my incredible will get shipped to me, but it's nice to know I'm getting 720p video and a wireless hotspot.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I have the new iPhone and it hasn't dropped any calls. The bars drop when I hold it a certain way, but it will not lose signal. The antenna is designed to hold signal much better even at one bar, and reports show that. This is the best phone I've ever had. It's incredibly fast, takes incredible photos and videos, the screen resolution is epic, the battery life is quite a bit better, and facetime is awesome. Two friends have the incredible and there's no comparison IMO.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    one of these days i need to go check out this magical thing called iphone4 to see how it really stacks up to my phone.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/ysho ... -iphone-4/
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm getting the Droid X in two days :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    intodeep wrote:
    I'm getting the Droid X in two days :D

I beleive I am doing the same thing...I am on the list for the 15th....Still dont know alot about what the fucking thing does, but I am going to go ahead and get it anyhow, whether I need it or not!! :lol:
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    you are going to love the Droid X. the android software is pretty sick. say you are looking for a phone number to make dinner reservations. well, you go to the internet, or maps, or navigation, type or speak in what you want. once you find what you are looking for, you can just click on the number and it will bring up the phone system to make the call to that number. pimp.

these new generation of smartphones are pretty bad ass. i was never one for cell phones, but my EVO kicks the shit out of chuck norris.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    you are going to love the Droid X. the android software is pretty sick. say you are looking for a phone number to make dinner reservations. well, you go to the internet, or maps, or navigation, type or speak in what you want. once you find what you are looking for, you can just click on the number and it will bring up the phone system to make the call to that number. pimp.

these new generation of smartphones are pretty bad ass. i was never one for cell phones, but my EVO kicks the shit out of chuck norris.

I want to try the droid x when it's in stores in 2 days. Though I think I'm going to try to wait until Verizon 4G phones are released, and with a face-time equivilent. If a Verizon 4G iphone is released by then, I'll probably buy that one, but if not and a Verizon 4G phone with the same features is available, I'll probably get it right away. It seems the touch-screen technology and speed and such of the Droids is now comparable to the iphone.

I was reading that 4G will not only be significantly faster than 3G, but the signal will also cut thru walls easier.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    81 wrote:

I want to try the droid x when it's in stores in 2 days. Though I think I'm going to try to wait until Verizon 4G phones are released, and with a face-time equivilent. If a Verizon 4G iphone is released by then, I'll probably buy that one, but if not and a Verizon 4G phone with the same features is available, I'll probably get it right away. It seems the touch-screen technology and speed and such of the Droids is now comparable to the iphone.

I was reading that 4G will not only be significantly faster than 3G, but the signal will also cut thru walls easier.

4G is pimp when it works. The sprint style (wimax) has problems going thru office buildings, although it works great in my house. The believe the LTE 4g is suppose to be a little better. The EVO (i would assume the droid X or some other verizon phone will as well) has video chat ability and you don't need wifi for it to work. The gf and i used it once just to test. worked fine, but i found it kind of a stupid feature. doubt we really use it going forward.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    just read apple is censoring the consumer report article from the apple forums. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg