iPhone 4.0 vs HTC Droid Incredible

Comments

• Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 568
    The choice really is verizon vs the iphone. If you are going to wait for verizon to have the iphone then you are going to be waiting a long time, because some of the iphone features are not supported on the verizon network. For instance on the verizon network you can not surf the web and talk on the phone on the same time, the network just isn'b built for it. Also from what I have read on many tech web sites/blogs it seems that verizon is not even interested in acquiring the iphone, so I wouldn't hold your breath for the iphone on the verizon network.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    btw the new droid is being announced june 23rd

http://www.techbitts.com/2010/06/next-g ... ne-23.html
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/ ... tml?hpt=C2

Once again Apple's new product seems less than perfect... Imagine that! :shock: :lol:

(CNN) -- As iPhone 4 buyers prepared to unbox their new smartphones on Thursday morning, some screamed with joy. Others trumpeted vuvuzelas.

But shortly after testing out the world's new "it" phone, some of those consumers turned to the internet to report problems with the new Apple product.

On Web forums and on blogs, some consumers posted videos and rants about the iPhone 4's new antenna, which is built into a metal rim around the phone and, some claim, causes the phone to get unnecessarily bad reception.

The blog Gizmodo has posted a roundup of the complaints. Several people say that when they hold the iPhone 4 by its metal sides -- essentially, when they're touching the antenna -- the reception gets worse or drops.

It's possible that this is a software glitch and not a real problem with the phone's hardware antenna, Gizmodo notes.

That's a point also made by Walter S. Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal, who reviewed the iPhone 4 this month.

"In some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor," Mossberg writes. "Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the [wireless reception] bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars."

On CNN's iReport, where citizens submit their own news, Keith Taylor of Sarasota, Florida, posted a glowing video review of the iPhone 4, but he did note issues with reception when he put his hand around the metal antenna.

"It grips well in your hand. The reception has improved, although it's slightly weaker than the [iPhone 3GS] when your hand's wrapped around the phone," he says in the video, which he shot with the new phone. "It also affects the Wi-Fi, but only by one bar, so hopefully not a noticeable difference."

CNN contacted Apple for comment but did not receive an immediate response. When the company's CEO, Steve Jobs, unveiled the new phone at an event in San Francisco, California, he said that making the antenna part of the body of the phone was "really cool engineering."

Some bloggers who got their hands on the iPhone 4 early -- it went on sale in stores Thursday morning but was available by internet pre-order before that -- put the phone through a number of stress tests.

The blog Engadget found that the iPhone is capable of being scratched, even after only a few days of wear and tear. Other owners of the new iPhone have reported that its much-touted "retina display," which is supposed to be among the sharpest in the industry, has an annoying yellow tint on some units.

In an apparent attempt to see how durable the phone is, one man posted a YouTube video of himself dropping the phone on concrete. Similarly, a popular YouTube show called "Will it blend?" promises to post a video on Friday showing whether the iPhone 4 will turn to mush if it's dropped into a kitchen blender.

On Thursday morning, other problems came with the phone's availability.

The phone was scheduled to be on sale at Apple Stores as well as at Radio Shack, Wal-Mart and Best Buy, but CNNMoney reported that most non-Apple stores had run out of the phones and were turning customers away.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Droid X sounds bad ass i just hope it feels better then the other Motorola doids. to me all the other Droids feel boxy and like metal.

where as the iphone and incrediable felt like smooth devices that were nice to the touch.

I know that sounds petty it should be how the device performs but i want a phone that looks and feels cool too. I have not been impressed with the motorola designs previously.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i thought the incredible was too small. i like the EVO's size more. the iphone does nothing for me. i just can't get excited about it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    ...now I'm wondering if Verizon 4G phones will be out in just a few months, since they're about to roll that out, and if I should just wait to get much higher speeds. I had asked a customer service person if the Droid X will receive a 4G LTE signal once that's rolled out, and they said (surprisingly) "yes", but from what I've read that their normal CDMA phones and 4G LTE phones have completely different hardware inside, so that customer service rep was wrong unless my info is wrong.

decisions, decisions... :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    4g > 3g

althought tmobile said they are sticking with 3g, albeit a super charged version that is suppose to rival 4g

verizon is doing friendly testing right now and anticipates rolling 4g out in late 2010.

imo, wait for the 4g, no sense in buying a 3g phone today if you don't need it. 4g is going to be pimp. i anticipate cutting off the home internet after we get 4g phones.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    CJMST3K wrote:
    ...now I'm wondering if Verizon 4G phones will be out in just a few months, since they're about to roll that out, and if I should just wait to get much higher speeds. I had asked a customer service person if the Droid X will receive a 4G LTE signal once that's rolled out, and they said (surprisingly) "yes", but from what I've read that their normal CDMA phones and 4G LTE phones have completely different hardware inside, so that customer service rep was wrong unless my info is wrong.

decisions, decisions... :)

i also saw another report that verizon will have an iphone at the beginning of the year

and no matter how many 'goodies' an iphone has, if i can't make a call reliably, i'm not getting one...it's called a iphone...i've already got a bunch of ipods
    its possible that the droid could have 4g in it since it will still need to work on 3g networks. but if it did have 4g already built in, you would think they would annouce it. no sense in hiding that fact
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    My brother picked his up today, I have my 3GS(Which I love) and it would be hard for me to go to another phone. He called me a few times already and i can barely hear him and it sounds like hes underwater. I'll check it out after work today.....he says AT&T has done away with unlimited WEB for new customers and charge $25 for 2GIGS per month.......if thats true, than that sux......he says that other carriers plan on scrapping unlimited WEB due to congestion.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    My brother picked his up today, I have my 3GS(Which I love) and it would be hard for me to go to another phone. He called me a few times already and i can barely hear him and it sounds like hes underwater. I'll check it out after work today.....he says AT&T has done away with unlimited WEB for new customers and charge $25 for 2GIGS per month.......if thats true, than that sux......he says that other carriers plan on scrapping unlimited WEB due to congestion.

how long does 2 gigs last?
    I'll be back
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    CROJAM95 wrote:

I've had mine since december...and every month I'm over 3

one month I hit 4gigs
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    mca47 wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/24/iphone.4.problems/index.html?hpt=C2

Once again Apple's new product seems less than perfect... Imagine that! :shock: :lol:

(CNN) -- As iPhone 4 buyers prepared to unbox their new smartphones on Thursday morning, some screamed with joy. Others trumpeted vuvuzelas.

But shortly after testing out the world's new "it" phone, some of those consumers turned to the internet to report problems with the new Apple product.

On Web forums and on blogs, some consumers posted videos and rants about the iPhone 4's new antenna, which is built into a metal rim around the phone and, some claim, causes the phone to get unnecessarily bad reception.

The blog Gizmodo has posted a roundup of the complaints. Several people say that when they hold the iPhone 4 by its metal sides -- essentially, when they're touching the antenna -- the reception gets worse or drops.

It's possible that this is a software glitch and not a real problem with the phone's hardware antenna, Gizmodo notes.

That's a point also made by Walter S. Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal, who reviewed the iPhone 4 this month.

"In some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor," Mossberg writes. "Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the [wireless reception] bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars."

On CNN's iReport, where citizens submit their own news, Keith Taylor of Sarasota, Florida, posted a glowing video review of the iPhone 4, but he did note issues with reception when he put his hand around the metal antenna.

"It grips well in your hand. The reception has improved, although it's slightly weaker than the [iPhone 3GS] when your hand's wrapped around the phone," he says in the video, which he shot with the new phone. "It also affects the Wi-Fi, but only by one bar, so hopefully not a noticeable difference."

CNN contacted Apple for comment but did not receive an immediate response. When the company's CEO, Steve Jobs, unveiled the new phone at an event in San Francisco, California, he said that making the antenna part of the body of the phone was "really cool engineering."

Some bloggers who got their hands on the iPhone 4 early -- it went on sale in stores Thursday morning but was available by internet pre-order before that -- put the phone through a number of stress tests.

The blog Engadget found that the iPhone is capable of being scratched, even after only a few days of wear and tear. Other owners of the new iPhone have reported that its much-touted "retina display," which is supposed to be among the sharpest in the industry, has an annoying yellow tint on some units.

In an apparent attempt to see how durable the phone is, one man posted a YouTube video of himself dropping the phone on concrete. Similarly, a popular YouTube show called "Will it blend?" promises to post a video on Friday showing whether the iPhone 4 will turn to mush if it's dropped into a kitchen blender.

On Thursday morning, other problems came with the phone's availability.

The phone was scheduled to be on sale at Apple Stores as well as at Radio Shack, Wal-Mart and Best Buy, but CNNMoney reported that most non-Apple stores had run out of the phones and were turning customers away.

Wow...having a phone that doesn't work !

I'm sure they have an "app" to fix it :lol:

I've been real happy with my Incredible
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:

I've had mine since december...and every month I'm over 3

one month I hit 4gigs

Don't forget every GIG you're over its a $10 charge !

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... e-iphone-4

5 Big Blemishes for the Apple iPhone 4
    by Scott Moritz
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Apple's (AAPL - News) redesigned iPhone is destined to be a knockout success. The phone scores high on style points with its sleek glass and stainless steel design, and it wins points for its multitasking software and improved screen.

There are, however, a few shortcomings.

The Apple iPhone 4 is set to go on sale Thursday. Judging by the record demand during the pre-sale period, the newest iPhone will make a huge sales splash, especially with old iPhone owners trading up.

All the presales excitement and Apple-driven hype have set expectations very high. But mighty Apple plays to a tough crowd. It's an affluent group that has been eager to buy the next new thing out of Cupertino, Calif. It's also a highly discerning group with a refined taste in gadgets, and that makes them a bit fussy.

Here are five bruises on the new Apple iPhone that may engender complaint.

No. 5: A Skimpy Camera
    As smartphone challengers like HTC, Motorola (MOT - News) and Nokia (NOK - News) embrace the megapixel race with 8-megapixel and 12-megapixel cameras, Apple's new iPhone keeps it cheap with a 5-megapixel model.

This will be a bigger point of contention this week when Verizon (VZ - News) and Motorola unveil the Droid X Wednesday, the newest Google (GOOG - News) Android phone, which features an 8-megapixel camera. Android phone giant HTC has also been generous with 8-megapixel cameras in its Droid Incredible and Sprint's (S - News) EVO.

Meanwhile, Apple, always the laggard in cameras, won't enter the 8-megapixel class until next year when it debuts a sweet Sony (SNE - News) camera in its 2011 iPhone. But by then, who knows where the rest of the pack will be?

No. 4: No Swype

If you've seen Swype or used it, you know why this omission makes the list. Typing on a touchscreen is a challenge as the flat glass surface offers few clues to where your fat fingers are precisely making contact. It's an error-prone process that gives one a longing for the raised keys of the BlackBerry keyboard from Research In Motion (RIMM - News).

But the Swype keypad software helps tame the new medium. Swype follows the pattern of your finger movements to type words or predict words without the usual hunting and pecking.

Apple did wonders with the touchscreen, but Swype makes it more useful for those among us who like to type.

No. 3: Video Calling

Okay, it's not totally bait and switch, but Apple's hot new iPhone video calling feature, FaceTime, comes with lots of asterisks and a limited applicability.

Say you want to video chat with someone using the Apple iPhone 4. That someone has to have a WiFi connection and he has to use the same application on his own iPhone 4. You're looking at a small club of people -- not exactly an application of global Skype-like proportions.

No. 2: iPhone 4 Shortages

Strong demand is only half the story for Apple's iPhone sales debut. Limited supply is the other. A shortage of in-plane display panels, the crucial part of Apple's touted retina display screens, has forced Apple's contract manufacturers to cut production rates in half to 1 million iPhones a month.

This means there won't be enough iPhones on hand to meet the presumably high demand. Though it's not a terrible problem to have if you are a gadget maker, sellouts and delivery delays will mar Apple's big iPhone 4 debut. The frustration could push buyers toward other phones.

No. 1: No Verizon iPhone.

A new iPhone is big. But a new iPhone at Verizon? Much bigger.

Apple's exclusive partnership with AT&T (T - News) has been a point of discord among iPhone owners and it has tarnished the public perception of both companies. It also has done almost nothing for AT&T's stock.

Investors have been waiting for the Verizon iPhone. But that's apparently not going to happen until next year, if ever.

So Apple fans who want the new iPhone have to lock in for another two years with AT&T. This scenario is not particularly pleasant considering that AT&T's new subscriber plans put penalties on people (like iPhone users) who happen to be heavy data users.

jobsemail.jpg
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Is there a difference between the incredible and the X? Or are we talking about the same phone? I am leaning this way because I like verizon...Just a bit unsure about which droid to get.... a virtual keyboard as opposed to a real one...Thoughts?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    First off. It's not iPhone 4G. The iPhone 4 still uses AT&T's 3G service.
    2nd it's iPod Touch people not iTouch.

Now my break down

I'm an iPhone 3G owner and I plan on getting the iPhone 4. That said I was really debating the pros and cons of both phones.

Both have a 1GHZ processor which is pretty fast for phones nowadays.
    Both have 512mb of RAM so thats a wash
    HTC has an 8mp camera compared to the 5mp camera that is on the iPhone 4. However with the iPhone you shoot videos at 720p which is great for you people who love to shoot on the go and with iMovie for the iPhone editing on the fly is a breeze.

Screen Resolution: iPhone 4 640 by 960, HTC 480 by 800. Winner iPhone 4
    HTC has a bigger screen though so that's an advantage to the HTC.

i'd have to say i love the open source OS compared to the closed off iOS 4 that Apple has. You can really customize the hell out of the HTC Incredible any way you'd like and not have to go about jailbreaking an iPhone. At first I thought the lack of apps for the HTC would be dismal at best but after seeing reviews and actually using on myself it's quite good. Not App Store good but it'll get there.

The interchangeable battery is another positive for the HTC. With the iPhone you can not swap out the battery unless of course you'd want to disassemble the device in which case this voids your warranty.

hope that helps
    Is there a difference between the incredible and the X? Or are we talking about the same phone? I am leaning this way because I like verizon...Just a bit unsure about which droid to get.... a virtual keyboard as opposed to a real one...Thoughts?

i bought the original droid because i wanted the physical keyboard...i used it for about 2 weeks before i got used to the virtual...not sure what the differences are between the x and the incredible but i might upgrade to the x when it comes out to get rid of the keyboard as it's extra weight and bulk that i don't need
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    norm wrote:

i bought the original droid because i wanted the physical keyboard...i used it for about 2 weeks before i got used to the virtual...not sure what the differences are between the x and the incredible but i might upgrade to the x when it comes out to get rid of the keyboard as it's extra weight and bulk that i don't need

I agree. I used that keyboard maybe 3-4 times then went back to the virtual keyboard...which is 100x better than the actual one.

Oh well.
    The Droid X looks like its going to be pretty sweet. That said, I'm also pretty sure I don't want to spend $400 to get it.
    norm wrote:

But the X is the one with the keyboard, right? It's the Incredible that doesn't have one.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    norm wrote:

But the X is the one with the keyboard, right? It's the Incredible that doesn't have one.

nope the x doesn't have it

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0 ... ey-compare
    I must be thinking of the Droid 2.

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/06/28/mo ... gust-23rd/
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    When is the X available? I only seem to be able to find the incredible?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12

Motorola's Droid X, coming July 15 to the Verizon Wireless network for $199 with a $100 mail-in rebate and two-year contract
    norm wrote:

Motorola's Droid X, coming July 15 to the Verizon Wireless network for $199 with a $100 mail-in rebate and two-year contract

..so you're not gonna wait until 4G is rolled out and get a phone that's compatible with that?
  • crashing88crashing88 Posts: 240
    arq wrote:
    I really hate AT&T, with all my heat and with all my might :sick: ... but i love my iphone sooo much that I've have learned to live with AT&T...

Ditto :(
    CJMST3K wrote:
    norm wrote:

..so you're not gonna wait until 4G is rolled out and get a phone that's compatible with that?

probably not...4g won't be widely available for a year+...and i don't really need it...since this stuff changes almost every week, they'll be something new...really, i just want to get rid of the keyboard on the phone...i never use it so it's pointless to have it