Could there be 3 Perfect games already-Ump screws last out

Comments

• orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    I have nightmares about the Mets getting screwed like this for their first perfect game.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    milarso wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sorry dude, just horrible.

The thing is, while it will not be in the record books, you know he pitched a perfect game, Galarraga knows he pitched a perfect game, Joyce knows he pitched a perfect game, both teams know he pitched a perfect game and everyone watching knows he pitched a perfect game. I consider it a perfect game, even though Selig is jackass and it won't be on record.

Yeah- it's just one of those rare times where it sucks to be a sports fan. Detroit has never had a perfect game, and people here live for the Tigers. It seems like no matter who you root for, everyone knows Galarraga got hosed.

Btw- look at the face of the kid who hit the botched ball. He runs across first, puts his hands on his head as if to say, "Oh well, good job." Then he sees that he was called safe, and the look on his face was like he knew he was out, and didn't even want anything to do with being on that ball field.

I hear you, man. I doubt Tigers fans have ever been so upset about a win. It's bullshit but the dude pitched a perfect game.

I noticed that. I am pretty sure he put his hands on his head when he called him safe.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,834
    WOW just heard about this, yeah def. got robbed.

Should be reversed and why not? Wouldn't have changed the score or anything.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • this makes me feel ashamed to be a Joyce...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    this makes me feel ashamed to be a Joyce...

You are a Joyce and your username is "Still In Hiding"? Something you would like to tell us.....
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Absolutley inexcusable. How in the world if you are that ump do you call him safe on a close play (it wasn't even close though, he was clearly out) with a perfect game on the line, how? Would be nice to have it overturned, but really what good would it do, this dumbass ump completely killed the moment, and more than likely his career.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Seriously, someone has to investigate if this Jim Joyce has a record of being a racist of some kind. He is a thief!

He appologized to Galarraga after the game and Armando just gave him a hug.

Joyce: "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career."

Galarraga: "He really feels bad," Galarraga said. "He probably feels more bad than me. Nobody is perfect. I give a lot of credit to that guy. That (an apology) doesn't happen. He apologized. He feels really bad. Nobody is perfect. What am I gonna do? His body language said more than a lot of words. His eyes were watery, he didn't have too say much. His body language said a lot."
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I have really never been so upset about any sporting event in my life. Through all the Pistons games, to the Wings, Fuck, the Lions, MSU, U-M, All of It... I am trembling still!! I really hate Jim Joyce!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    force-10 wrote:
    Seriously, someone has to investigate if this Jim Joyce has a record of being a racist of some kind. He is a thief!

C'mon now... the guy has been a respected ump for 22 years.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    "let's not bring race into this ahmad. we've got enough problems as it is." - Morris Buttermaker
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    force-10 wrote:

He should be tied up to the Spirit of Detroit statue for a week so we can all throw rotting fruit at him!!! Asshole!!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    The game wasn't perfect because the umpire wasn't perfect :evil: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Holy Crap that was like a step and a half and he blew the call!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    It'll be interesting to see if he sticks around for the game tomorrow.
    I think there will be boos until the crowd gets horse.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    force-10 wrote:

Yeah, but one still wonders. Nobody is perfect. I know.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if i'm the commish, i set precedent and i change that last play.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    That might be the single most heartbreaking (non injury) event I've seen on a sports field...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Jim Joyce's recognition of his miss - and the degree to which he missed it ("from here to the wall") is another reason for the Commissioner to intervene. Who would be hurt by him doing so? The Indians? The Tigers? The integrity of the game? The Umpires, or this Umpire? Listen to this and tell me "this umpire".

And if you say no safe or out call has ever been appealed, or overturned, that's patently false. There were rules interpretations involved that do not apply here, but in both the 1908 Merkle Game and the 1983 Pine Tar Game, game-ending "out" calls by prominent, gifted umpires were reviewed in agonizing detail by League Presidents. And in the case of the Pine Tar Game, the "out" call that ended the game was reversed and the game replayed from the point of the umpire's mistake.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/archi ... m_the.html
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    That was horrible!

Horrible!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    norm wrote:
    Jim Joyce's recognition of his miss - and the degree to which he missed it ("from here to the wall") is another reason for the Commissioner to intervene. Who would be hurt by him doing so? The Indians? The Tigers? The integrity of the game? The Umpires, or this Umpire? Listen to this and tell me "this umpire".

And if you say no safe or out call has ever been appealed, or overturned, that's patently false. There were rules interpretations involved that do not apply here, but in both the 1908 Merkle Game and the 1983 Pine Tar Game, game-ending "out" calls by prominent, gifted umpires were reviewed in agonizing detail by League Presidents. And in the case of the Pine Tar Game, the "out" call that ended the game was reversed and the game replayed from the point of the umpire's mistake.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/archi ... m_the.html
    I do not have faith in Bud Selig making a right decision... Ever...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Just saw the replay, it wasn't even close. The umpire really blew that call. If if they did fix it and change the call it won't be the same as celebrating a perfect game with your teammates and your fans in your home ballpark. Joyce is scheduled to behind home plate tomorrow.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,472
    How the fuck can he make that call???

At any point in any game...That is a RIDICULOUS call...right????

This asshole makes this call in the 9th inning of a perfect game???

HOW THE FUCK CAN HE MAKE THAT CALL?????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    It's so damn sad. My husband kept watching it over and over on TV and I finally said - stop, you're making yourself crazy. Joyce has got to quit, right? I mean, I feel sort of sorry for him - but how can he go out there again? Aren't people gonna throw shit at him, probably REAL shit.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,472
    Enkidu wrote:
    It's so damn sad. My husband kept watching it over and over on TV and I finally said - stop, you're making yourself crazy. Joyce has got to quit, right? I mean, I feel sort of sorry for him - but how can he go out there again? Aren't people gonna throw shit at him, probably REAL shit.
    I am thinking....Within the next 24 hours, baseball HAS to over-rule this call.....right????

Wouldnt that be the best thing for baseball to do?????

Holy fuck....I cant believe that ump made that call....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Enkidu wrote:
    I am thinking....Within the next 24 hours, baseball HAS to over-rule this call.....right????

its the thing to do,but it won't happen
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    edited June 2010
    Enkidu wrote:

I think what makes it worse are that it was a routine play that gets called correctly almost 99% of the time, even when it is a close play. And it was not even close. Joyce needs to be sat out for a while, or he needs to retire. If he can not make the correct call, he should not be an umpire. Most likely Gallaraga will never have another chance at a perfect game.

Too bad the union will not allow anything to happen to him and baseball can not overturn the call. Sad.
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I don't know why Major professional league's can't all have one good standard instant replay.

Everyone should use replay like the ATP(Tennis) tour. That thing is fast and is instant and everyone can see the result.
    NERDS!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I think what makes it worse are that it was a routine play that gets called correctly almost 99% of the time, even when it is a close play. And it was not even close. Joyce needs to be sat out for a while, or he needs to retire. If he can not make the correct call, he should not be an umpire. Most likely Gallaraga will have another chance at a perfect game.

Too bad the union will not allow anything to happen to him and baseball can not overturn the call. Sad.

I disagree... if the guy has a pattern of missed calls, then yes, he should retire... but if he blew one call, then as terrible as this one was, you can't end a guy's career over it. I just think that we hold umpires/referees to an impossible standard of perfection. Think how many times in a day/week that you make a mistake at work, rand either you correct yourself right away, or no one even notices. EVERY mistake these guys make (even if it's one a month) gets seen by thousands of people and shown over and over again.

That is what is so frustrating... we have the technology in instant replay to get them right damn near 100% of the time, but MLB refuses to implement it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I think what makes it worse are that it was a routine play that gets called correctly almost 99% of the time, even when it is a close play. And it was not even close. Joyce needs to be sat out for a while, or he needs to retire. If he can not make the correct call, he should not be an umpire. Most likely Gallaraga will have another chance at a perfect game.

I disagree... if the guy has a pattern of missed calls, then yes, he should retire... but if he blew one call, then as terrible as this one was, you can't end a guy's career over it. I just think that we hold umpires/referees to an impossible standard of perfection. Think how many times in a day/week that you make a mistake at work, rand either you correct yourself right away, or no one even notices. EVERY mistake these guys make (even if it's one a month) gets seen by thousands of people and shown over and over again.

That is what is so frustrating... we have the technology in instant replay to get them right damn near 100% of the time, but MLB refuses to implement it.

I agree, he should not be forced out of the game, but he should be held accountable. Sat down for a while- banned from being an offical in any postseason games for a while. But the Union will never allow that. And everyone makes mistakes, but that was a HUGE one that took away a once in a lifetime chance. That does not happen often, and most likely will not be corrected.

I agree, baseball needs to wake up and have some kind of replay.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • HammerdonkeyHammerdonkey Posts: 550
    I think I'd respect baseball more if they would overrule the call. The kid threw a perfect game and deserves to have it on his resume. There's only been 20 perfect games ever thrown. They are more rare than being struck by lightning.

Replay shows the runner was clearly out. I don't think the hitter would mind if it was reversed. He looked sick when he realized he was called safe after that weak shit he hit.

Why is it so hard for people to do the right thing anymore? Oh, and Pete Rose has suffered enough. He needs to be in the Hall of Fame too.