Could there be 3 Perfect games already-Ump screws last out

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Check out Austin jacksons catch in the 9th

makes it hurt that much more
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:
    I'm a diehard Yankee's fan even if this happened to the redsox, it would have hurt my heart, i hate a badcall.
    in the 9th inning of a perfect game, good grief.

Not only the 9th! THE LAST FUCKING OUT!

Was IT? GOOD LORD!!!
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    edited June 2010
    I don't know how I would feel as the pitcher. A mixture of anger, sadness, and even bemusement.

This reminds me of Mussina's blown perfect game on the last out. Only that one was on a legitimate base hit.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    not even fucking close. What an almighty douche.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    tcaporale wrote:
    I don't know how I would feel as the pitcher. A mixture of anger, sadness, and even bemusement.

It looks like he took it well, just smiled. I am sure he is pretty pissed.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    tigers need to protest this one and hopefully MLB grows a sack and over rules the call and gives him the perfect game.
    Jim Joyce should be forced to watch the replay for 48 hours straight, then get fired.
    rival. wrote:
    tigers need to protest this one and hopefully MLB grows a sack and over rules the call and gives him the perfect game.
    Is it possible to overrule an umpire like that? I'm pretty sure they would be able to rescind a perfect game, but I don't think they can give one to somebody.
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    This is the type of shit that happens when this is your commish...

selig.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    joyce apologized to galarraga and galarraga gave him a hug
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jim Joyce should be forced to watch the replay for 48 hours straight, then get fired.
    If I was him, I'd just quit. I'd be disgusted with myself.
    rival. wrote:

I would love to see them overrule this. I don't see it happening and it would take something away from it but still, it should be.

The only thing I ever remember being overruled was the pinetar game. Can they overrule a play?
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

I would love to see them overrule this. I don't see it happening and it would take something away from it but still, it should be.

The only thing I ever remember being overruled was the pinetar game. Can they overrule a play?

the call can be overruled, but it never never happens.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    KO282453 wrote:
    I'm a diehard Yankee's fan even if this happened to the redsox, it would have hurt my heart, i hate a badcall.

Same with you. I'm still upset at Carl Everret in 2001 with Mike Mussina. That was my parents' anniversary! The fact that he pointed up to the sky after he got the hit made me even more pissed off and hated him.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    maybe thay can overturn it, with the umpire admitting it and all, hopefully MLB will do the right thing.
    Bud Selig can do things for "the best interest of the game" according to a certain clause, I'd say this applies.

If they do give him a perfect game, would they take the hit away from the Indians batter?

That's why I don't see them changing it, unfortunately.
    "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

"It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce
    Newch91 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

Same with you. I'm still upset at Carl Everret in 2001 with Mike Mussina. That was my parents' anniversary! The fact that he pointed up to the sky after he got the hit made me even more pissed off and hated him.
    :evil: :evil: :evil:
    BASTARD
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

That statement makes up for nothing. But he is correct in one thing, no matter what he does or has done in his career, it was ruined on that one play. He should be banned from any post season games, or sent to the minors if possible.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    edited June 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You would think that the umpires would be the biggest proponent of instant replay... they actually use it as a crutch in football and hockey at times, letting the play go like giving it the benefit of the doubt and letting the replay be the deciding factor.

As much as I can't stand the attention loving, confrontational umpires, you know that they don't want to be wrong, or known as the guy who ruined a game or a player/team's chance at something. Joyce is going to see that play in his head a million times... he'd be much happier if it was instantly overruled.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    baseball has met this decades perfect game quota....an ump had to take one for the team.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Check out Austin jacksons catch in the 9th

makes it hurt that much more

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8615499

WOW!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You would think that the umpires would be the biggest proponent of instant replay... they actually use it as a crutch in football and hockey at times, letting the play go like giving it the benefit of the doubt and letting the replay be the deciding factor.

As much as I can't stand the attention loving, confrontational umpires, you know that they don't want to be wrong, or known as the guy who ruined a game or a player/team's chance at something. Joyce is going to see that play in his head a million times... he'd be much happier if it was instantly overruled.

Agreed, I think umpires want replay a whole lot more than their union wants it. Jim Joyce should be the first one lobbying for it. He is a good umpire and this has tarnished a long career.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That statement makes up for nothing. But he is correct in one thing, no matter what he does or has done in his career, it was ruined on that one play. He should be banned from any post season games, or sent to the minors if possible.

I agree. The thing is, it was not even close. Obviously he was going to be upset with himself, he does not want to blow that call so it does not really matter what he says
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    This makes me want to cry.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    I will say. Galarraga is a complete class act. Bigger man than me. I don't think i would ever forgive him and he did immediately.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I feel sick for Galarraga. Poor kid. Too bad there's really nothing that can be done once the game is over.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I feel sick for Galarraga. Poor kid. Too bad there's really nothing that can be done once the game is over.

And this is a guy that started the season in AAA Toledo. He's struggled massively last season, and just is starting to get his game together.
    He isn't Randy Johnson.
    The odds of him ever having another game like this are pretty slim. I feel so badly about the whole thing.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    milarso wrote:
    This makes me want to cry.

Sorry dude, just horrible.

The thing is, while it will not be in the record books, you know he pitched a perfect game, Galarraga knows he pitched a perfect game, Joyce knows he pitched a perfect game, both teams know he pitched a perfect game and everyone watching knows he pitched a perfect game. I consider it a perfect game, even though Selig is jackass and it won't be on record.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sorry dude, just horrible.

The thing is, while it will not be in the record books, you know he pitched a perfect game, Galarraga knows he pitched a perfect game, Joyce knows he pitched a perfect game, both teams know he pitched a perfect game and everyone watching knows he pitched a perfect game. I consider it a perfect game, even though Selig is jackass and it won't be on record.

Yeah- it's just one of those rare times where it sucks to be a sports fan. Detroit has never had a perfect game, and people here live for the Tigers. It seems like no matter who you root for, everyone knows Galarraga got hosed.

Btw- look at the face of the kid who hit the botched ball. He runs across first, puts his hands on his head as if to say, "Oh well, good job." Then he sees that he was called safe, and the look on his face was like he knew he was out, and didn't even want anything to do with being on that ball field.