Options

*** MSG 2 Fanviews Here 5/21/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 713
    I've seen 17 Pearl Jam shows in the last 12 years. 5 or 6 of them at the Garden.

That was... by far... the greatest Pearl Jam show I have ever seen.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    edellefemineedellefemine Posts: 103
    edited May 2010
    Last night was MIND BLOWING. WHAT a freaking show.

I managed to win the lottery for front row seats to Newark and was so happy - but man, I'm EMBARRASSED for that crowd after last night. I couldn't find a single freaking person that wasn't fully into this show.

The energy, the set list - everything was absolutely perfect. Goes down in history as my favorite and best PJ show to date - even topping the Meadows, CT show in 97' where the city had to bring in the riot police.

Thanks boys!!
    Post edited by edellefemine on
  • Options
    dag95dag95 Posts: 6
    There is not much more I can add to all those that have commented already. All I can say is, after all these years following the guys, this may have been the best one yet. Absolutely insane. Thanks again PJ for bringing for everyone!
  • Options
    moloconomolocono Posts: 116
    With regards to the setlist, this was probably the best show out of all the ones I've been to. Not gonna say it was the best overall, there are many factors that contribute to that..but as far as songs played, this tops them all.
    And I gotta say, the dood from BOH just nailed Hunger Strike.
    Totally worth the trip from San Diego.
  • Options
    I have been to every MSG and NY Show since '98 (all thanks to the fan club), and numerous others that I am not organized enough to list, last one before this tour being Philly 4. This time around I was one of the lucky ones to win front row center seats in St. Louis and lucky again to have a fellow 10Club member sell me a 12th. row center seat for MSG1 (thanks again manhattan). Last night I was in section 334 not able to secure a fan club seat, certainly no comparison to the seats I had the two previous shows on this tour, or any other show I have been to. However, as I sit here thinking about last night and reading all these great fanviews, I have tears pouring down my face, just as I did last night. I really can't explain it other than saying it was the most emotional concert experience I ever had, and right now I really can't explain why. My husband, a PJ spouse (what a great thread that is) could not quite understand all the emotion at the show, but I know anyone reading this knows exactly where I am coming from.
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    What to say, what to say...

Bumped the "Black, Red, Yellow" thread a lot, I couldn't believe they were really playing it!
    Def one of the highlights!

Then what?
    Black, Lukin II, Yellow ledbetter... the crowd was amazing... a magic and special night, great great 6th concert for me, and probably the best one (and yes, I've been to Philly 3). Kudos to 10C, amazing seats, as always!

Like others have said, I feel blessed :)

Pearl Jam, I miss you already!
    Have fun in Europe and take care of yourselves like you've always done, we need you for many many years to come :):):)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,923
    Watching the Hunger Strike video on youtube. What a moment that must've been for Ben Bridwell. He did such a good job. I can only imagine what he was thinking when Ed asked him to do this, presumably pre-show. Outstanding stuff.
  • Options
    PlayDeepPlayDeep Posts: 72
    My first ever show at MSG. Simply fucking phenomenal.
    * Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 28, 2006
    * Camden, NJ - Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008
    * Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 28, 2009
    * New York, NY - Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010

• Options
    BZBZ Posts: 45
    Been to 35+ shows including every show played at MSG. The past 2 nights, by far, were the best MSG runs. There were great shows in the past, but usually one night dominated the other. The past two nights were completely different, yet awesome in there own way. Both crowds were insane. Blown away back to back nights. I still have perma-grin. :D
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    edited May 2010
    10 Club for the super seats...
    Sec 5 for allowing me to go bizerko and joining me in rockin' out...
    PJ for blowing my mind, literally...still stunned and exhilarated...
    Ames for a GREAT poster, wearin the Reed NYK jersey, lettin' Stone slap your bass -
    As well as doin the Ox proud on "The Real Me"...

Breathe, Unthought Known, Lukin (Newkin), RVM (up there w/best ever vers), BRY, Sweet Lew, Push Me Pull Me, Hunger Strike, Present Tense, Kick out the Jams and Not For You were tremendous - really - can't wait for the boot.

Special night. Special band. Special arena.

Thanks PJ - you brought it hard and I'll never forget it, nor will the 19000 other folks who experienced what was one of the greatest evenings of unadulterated rock n roll in the history of music.

Wow...Hail Hail the lucky ones indeed...
    Post edited by PJFAN13 on
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    For me - the recipe for a great show is a combination of the songs played, the energy of the crowd, eds voice and the tightness of the band ... the latter has been crazy good since forever so no worries on that front ... watching 3 shows this year - ed seems to be in great shape ... despite his dancing and stuff on stage - he still has the lungs to belt out those songs that ultimately all us fans get hoarse trying to sing along ... last night it was a perfect mix of songs .. breath-->nothingman-->i'm open-->unthought known ... it just seemed they played the right kind of song after another ... and last but not least - the crowd was great ... there were times i think ed's voice got drowned out ...

thanks to 10C for great seats as per usual and the fans all around me in section m especially my seat partner and the guys around us ...

i don't believe in happiness cuz the world sux in general but i do believe the best we can do is find moments that make us happy and string together as many of those moments as possible ... last night for almost 3 hours was one such moment ...
  • Options
    I know I'm just repeating what others have already said but it has to be done. Fukn unbelievable. I've been to 100s of shows by 100s of bands at small venues-large venues, inside-outside, festivals, you name it including 9 PJ shows and 3 E.V. solo shows and I have never experienced anything like last nite. The band and crowd were so in sync it was like we knew every move they were going to make before they made it. I was fortunate enough to be at the last 3 nites at the Spectrum, and while all 3 of the shows were amazing in their own way (as all PJ shows are) and the setlists for nites 3 and 4 were epic the crowds were distracted by the World Series going on. Last nite it was like there was nothing else going on in the universe outside of that arena. Nothing else mattered. I would have never picked Corduroy to open the show but as usual with PJ it was brilliant. By the time Evolution was over the crowd was so sucked in there was no escape and who would want to. Breath, Nothingman and Present Tense took it to the next level and that was just the beginning. The 1st encore was of the hook highlighted by Slow Lukin. And that was topped by the best versions of Given To Fly, Spin The Black Circle, RVM, Betterman, Black, and Alive I've ever heard live or on boots. And just when it couldn't get any better... HUNGER STRIKE ... FUCN INSANE. This show was the perfect storm. MSG is the ultimate venue, the setlist was the perfect mix of rarities and classics that flowed like a Grateful Dead show, the band was on fire and the crowd took all that energy and blew the roof off the place. I'm proud to have been a part of that crowd and will remember my 10th PJ show as the best concert experience of my life. Thank You 10club, Thank You New York Fukn City and Thank You to the greatest rock band in the world for 18 great years, 9 amazing albums, 10 epic shows, and 1 lifetime of memories.
  • Options
    I'm not going to pontificate on where this show ranks in the history of the band, but I will say of the 17 shows I have seen the crowd was probably the greatest. There were many, many highlights including Lukin Part Deux, but I have to say that the Betterman singalong and applause and everything was probably one of the greatest 5-8 minutes of my life. The energy was unreal and to feel the floor during it sitting in Lottery seats 10 rows from the stage (thank you 10 club) was fantastic. I am a big guy and at one point the floor actually physically moved me. I have felt it bounce before, but not like that...now that I will call epic. I wish every crowd had this energy. :D
    "Fuck this Fuckin' Chocolate Factory!"

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    my ears are still bleeding, my throat hates me, i still have 15 beers in my system.

AWESOME NIGHT!

alive was a religious experience for me. fuck.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,189
    edited May 2010
    My 17th show and one of the best...aren't they all! 10C seats section 7 row E, dead center right in line with ed, awesome! i was blown away on thursday night, but last night topped it. Too many highlights to list, just an all around great show! oh yeah, did anyone else on the floor actually feel the place shaking, holy shit, that was cool! it happened a couple times and i thought i was imagining it, but it kept happening, awesome!!!
    Post edited by spankyMP on
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    This was a religious experience at it's best! the crowd sung every song like it was the last PJ show, it didn't matter if it was a rare tune like BRY or a "hit" like alive, the crowd gave 110% to the boys and the boys felt it and they gave back 110% back!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Nothing was left on the stage.
    I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
    EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
    EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
    Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    EM270080 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfussjhkATQ

found hunger strike what an event!

This was amazing! I love how Ben puts his head on Ed's chest when he goes in for a hug, ha ha. Like he didn't want to stand taller than god or something.

I love how the band is so in sync with each other you can see it from the way they move on stage. I love when Mike goes nuts and does laps around the stage. And when all the boys are jamming and you get the sense that it wouldn't have mattered whether the crowd was there or not. And when they look at each other when they are jamming (I especially love when Mike runs up to Boom!).

Omigod.
  • Options
    Dirty FrankDirty Frank Posts: 37
    That was my 18th show. Number One ever.... fucking amazing, thank you pj, thank you!
    Randalls Island II, NY 96',East Rutherford, NJ 98',Jones Beach I, NY 00',Philadelphia, PA 03'
    Nassau Col., NY 03',MSG I and II, NY 03',Hershey, PA 03',Holmdel, NJ 03',Philadelphia, PA 05'
    Boston I, 06', East Rutherford I, II 06',MSG I, II 08', Philadelphia, PA III 09', Newark, NJ 10', MSG II 10'
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Oh, and the guys in Section 11 row H on the aisle, your energy was totally awesome!!! Didn't always feel that from the rest of my row but you definitely brought it. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Last Night MSG: Black Red Yellow!!!! holy shit!!!! also got a killer Hunger Strike, our first Hail Hail out of 5 shows, Push Me Pull Me >Rats!, another Re-rearranged acoustic Lukin!- WOW, Sweet Lew?!?!, The Real Me and Kick Out The Jams motherfuckers!!!! Great show, best of the 5 that we saw - had a fuckin' blast. Thank you!!!
  • Options
    RubberbandmanRubberbandman Posts: 439
    black red and yellow ? my reqeust for CT was played a little late lol
    sick setlist
    wish i was there
  • Options
    Cheeto73Cheeto73 Posts: 7
    Great show still doesnt beat Boston though
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    I can't wait until the day that the fanviews threads actually only consist of fanviews.

The show was awesome. I agree with a lot of people here that Eddie seemed very emotional last night. Highlights for me was Betterman/Black sing a longs which sounded the best I've ever heard those two songs, Nothingman since now I've heard every song that's ever been played live off Vitalogy, Hunger Strike because I never would have expected it, BRY because I've been hoping for this one for a while, and Lukin II, which rivals Bugs as my favorite live Pearl Jam moment of all time.

Oh yea, and The Real Me and Kick Out the Jams were great to add to my covers list. Amazing night!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    I was at Newark, MSG I, and last night. Last night was, BY FAR, the best show. Newark was sick b/c I got "Alone" and "Immortality" for the first time ever... but the energy last night could not be topped. My seats were in nose bleeds, section 420 (woohoo!) but everyone was rocking out.

Someone already mentioned, but when Ed paused between verses in Betterman, it felt like the roof was going to collapse. Not hyperbole, but that was the best version of Black I have ever seen. My first time seeing Hunger Strike... although Cornell didn't show up, it an amazing song, and the dude from BoH really sang well. RvM was sick.

Out of the gate there were no slow songs... just pure aggression. Courdoroy, Hail Hail, DTE, WWS, Got Some, and then BREATH that early in a set. Ed took no breaks. He usually has even flow to go smoke a stoag and relax a little... there were no breaks last night. It was intense.

For me, this was the best show I've been too, and I was at Philly III and Philly IV. Would I have liked to hear Smile or Release? Sure... but thats why you can keep going to see this band. The catalogue is that deep, and the shows are that different.

This band just kicks ass. Period.
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    van cougarvan cougar Posts: 56
    edited May 2010
    ed's story about raising his right arm at a germany stadium show was pretty funny.

when i heard the opening chords for HUNGER STRIKE,
    I just started laughing and shaking my head.
    epic?
    Well i guess you had to be there ;)

KICK OUT THE JAMS was outstanding ... the 6 guys on stage were rocking out more than anyone in msg,
    some people were looking at them, me included, going HOLY FUCKING SHIT

during BETTERMAN,
    i thought the 2 ex frat boys standing in my aisle were going to start making out with each other,
    not that there would have been anything wrong with it i guess.
    Post edited by van cougar on
  • Options
    Vegan_RyRyVegan_RyRy Posts: 12
    Amazing. My heart is more than
    content. Thank you Pearl Jam and MSG!
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,558
    Last night was my 25th show, and the best hands down. The main set alone put it in top 3 for me. Nothingman was the highlight for me....I have no more words just purely over the top, the crowd was out of this world. Night 1 was loud, but only the lower sections were really getting rowdy, last night (night 2) every damn section was rocking especially in the upper 300s and 400s.

Thank you pearl jam for completely blowing the roof off of my home city.

And yes, I would pay $100 for this DVD....this blows away MSG1 2003, and although I wasn't at MSG 2 98 (I've watched the dvd multiple times) I have to say it beats it. This show beats any of the 3 Gorge shows I went to a few years back....this beats all 4 philly shows last year, although philly 3 is probably a top 3 show.....lol why does it always come down to topping other shows? because they keep fuckin doing shit like this!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    PaigePaige Posts: 365
    Still blown away.
    It would be so easy to just look at the setlist and point to Breath and Lukin' and Push Me Pull Me and Black Red Yellow and Sweet Lew and The Real Me and Kick Out the Jams and the monster, Hunger Strike. But every single song was on right from the get go and it really deserves that label "epic."

Here's my blog:
    http://maximumtuneage.blogspot.com/2010 ... -most.html