Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    I shot a 78 yesterday. My lowest score ever and 2nd time in my life breaking 80. I actually made putts. A rarity for me. 
    Awesome! I shot a 79 this morning for the first time breaking 80.  Some good golf lately by the group on here.   Got our games together late in summer.   

Started off 6 over through 5 and then played the next six holes 3 under with a hole out from 120 for eagle and a birdie.   Needed to go 2 over the last four holes and had three pars in a row and doubled 18.   Five fairways and five greens.  Didn’t make it easy on myself.
    Nice! Especially the hole-out. I was kinda the opposite. I started strong, then faded a bit. I was one-over at the turn. It was my best front nine ever, and could’ve been even-par or maybe one-under but I had a horrendous three-putt bogey on #9. But on the back, I was scrambling the whole time. Had two holes where I was hitting three off the tee after driving out-of-bounds and ended up with a bogey and a double-bogey on those holes. But that was sort of cancelled out after a very, very lucky birdie where I picked my head up on an approach shot from about 110 yards, hit a crappy worm-burner, but it rolled up within about five feet of the pin. 

I’ve played less golf this summer than I have any summer of my life, and my scores have somehow been better than ever this year. Strange, but I’ll take it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited August 2020
    I shot a 78 yesterday. My lowest score ever and 2nd time in my life breaking 80. I actually made putts. A rarity for me. 
    Awesome! I shot a 79 this morning for the first time breaking 80.  Some good golf lately by the group on here.   Got our games together late in summer.   

Started off 6 over through 5 and then played the next six holes 3 under with a hole out from 120 for eagle and a birdie.   Needed to go 2 over the last four holes and had three pars in a row and doubled 18.   Five fairways and five greens.  Didn’t make it easy on myself.
    Nice! Especially the hole-out. I was kinda the opposite. I started strong, then faded a bit. I was one-over at the turn. It was my best front nine ever, and could’ve been even-par or maybe one-under but I had a horrendous three-putt bogey on #9. But on the back, I was scrambling the whole time. Had two holes where I was hitting three off the tee after driving out-of-bounds and ended up with a bogey and a double-bogey on those holes. But that was sort of cancelled out after a very, very lucky birdie where I picked my head up on an approach shot from about 110 yards, hit a crappy worm-burner, but it rolled up within about five feet of the pin. 

I’ve played less golf this summer than I have any summer of my life, and my scores have somehow been better than ever this year. Strange, but I’ll take it. 
    Nice job hanging. Tough to not let your head get in the way when you make the turn at 1 over.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    Anyone know how this match is sitting coming into the broadcast?
  • Options
    Was 5 down!
  • Options
    Lol

• Options
    Ha.  11 years old and three under.   I give up.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    What happened at the US Am?  Cant  find any results.
  • Options
    Fauci kid. Hell of a match 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,284
    edited August 2020
    Stefauci was the clear favorite by the broadcast crew, that’s for sure! I feel like I know that guy’s whole family now. Barely know anything about the other kid. Lol

Fun to watch though 

Banden is a bucket list trip for me. I gotta get out there. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Stefauci was the clear favorite by the broadcast crew, that’s for sure! I feel like I know that guy’s whole family now. Barely know anything about the other kid. Lol

Fun to watch though 

Banden is a bucket list trip for me. I gotta get out there. 
    Was a friggen documentary on the kid's family. Was a bit much.
  • Options
    Also, how the hell is that kid's grandfather so old?  There are pictures of him with Babe Ruth and the kid is only 22.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Just got invited to play Medinah No. 3 this Saturday.  Lived in the area my entire life and have never had the chance to play it.  Can't wait!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    bbiggs said:
    Just got invited to play Medinah No. 3 this Saturday.  Lived in the area my entire life and have never had the chance to play it.  Can't wait!
    That's awesome!  I was there last year for the BMW....beautiful place.  Good luck on those par 3s!  2nd and 13th holes are crazy...so much water.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    That's awesome!  I was there last year for the BMW....beautiful place.  Good luck on those par 3s!  2nd and 13th holes are crazy...so much water.
    Beautiful place, indeed.  I went to the '99 PGA and '12 Ryder Cup there and was in awe.  Even had some buddies that caddied there in our teens, but never was lucky enough to play it.  It's going to be a tough test for sure, even from the tees that we'll play (couldn't imagine championship tees).  I've been playing low-mid 80's golf this year so I'm fully expecting a score north of 90.  And that's okay!  Just happy to play it.

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Heading up to St. Simons Island, GA tomorrow to playing the Seaside course at Sea Island Resort. Really looking forward to it.

Between rounds with friends and tournaments, I've played Friday through Sunday every week for the past 3 months. 
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    Heading up to St. Simons Island, GA tomorrow to playing the Seaside course at Sea Island Resort. Really looking forward to it.

Between rounds with friends and tournaments, I've played Friday through Sunday every week for the past 3 months

Sounds like you're having a hell of a summer. 

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    bflynn1 said:

Between rounds with friends and tournaments, I've played Friday through Sunday every week for the past 3 months

Sounds like you're having a hell of a summer. 

I'll say. Jesus, that is a tremendous amount of consistent golf!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    So the Sea Island Resort, Seaside course is a Par 70 and I didn't realize the PGA plays it as part of the wraparound season. I shot 71 and that was aided by a great stretch of 4 birdies in 5 holes. 

It was a beautiful course and I guess it's normally over $300 to play out there but one of the guys we play with got us on for $70. Well worth it.
  • Options
    And yes it's been a fantastic summer haha
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    So the Sea Island Resort, Seaside course is a Par 70 and I didn't realize the PGA plays it as part of the wraparound season. I shot 71 and that was aided by a great stretch of 4 birdies in 5 holes. 

It was a beautiful course and I guess it's normally over $300 to play out there but one of the guys we play with got us on for $70. Well worth it.

I have a voodoo doll that looks like Jimmy Page holding a golf club because I don't know what you look like for real.  No, that's an awesome round.   It sucks that these places can be $300+ a round.  You have to be decent in order to enjoy it.   
  • Options
    I signed up for PGA Tour Live. Wish it would be active for the majors but, man this is a great way to start the day. Love it. 

Tiger crushing it today
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PGA tour live is the best 
  • Options
    Thought I’d share a few pics from Medinah yesterday. If you’re into golf history like I am, this place has plenty of it. We played from the white tees at ~6,800 yards. There are 2 tees behind it with the championship tees at ~7,700. Crazy long golf course. Very narrow, tree-lined fairways with no intermediate cut. You’re either in the fairway or thick, deep rough. Bunkers are placed at distances where most tee shots end up, so you either need to be long and try to carry them or thread the needle to the left or right. Tons of sharp doglegs.  The greens are tiny and like pool tables. It’s really a shot-makers golf course that requires strategy and good decision-making. In short...tough! I did have a par, birdie, par run on the back and made par on the signature par 3 17th. Such an awesome experience I’m glad to have had. 

• Options

• Options
    Last one. I’ve seen this on other courses, but the holes don’t have numbers on them anywhere. Just cool “M’s” for the tees. I guess the thought is that the members know where the holes are at. I would have been lost. It’s a massive property. 

• Options
    Doesn’t get more immaculate than that. Amazing. What was the locker room like?
  • Options
    To be honest, the locker room was pretty basic from what I saw.  I didn't spend a ton of time in there or do much exploring in it.  It's big for sure as they have ~600 members, but nothing over the top.  I was assigned to a locker that had some member's name on it, so they must open those up to visitors if they're empty and they know the member won't be there that day.  I don't know exactly how they work it, but I was definitely in some guy Tom's locker for the day lol.  The clubhouse itself is pretty special though.  Very grand on every level.  The pro shop was insane.  I could have done some serious damage in there, but luckily I held back. 
  • Options
    Awesome experience I'm sure.  Looked like a beautiful Midwest day of golf.
  • Options
    I couldn't believe how hard it was to stick those (tiny) greens.  It must have felt like what the pros feel when they complain about greens being too firm and fast at U.S. Opens.  This was nowhere near that level, but same concept for a guy like me who plays much easier courses.  There were a few holes that I hit high, lofted clubs into greens (7 or 8 iron) and landed the ball near the front and it still rolled all the way to the back.  Then my ball would be resting up against the collar which makes a real tough putt.  I"m not a crazy, high spin player or anything, but I can usually stop a 7 or 8 iron fairly close to where it lands.  They were just so much more firm than what I'm used to. 
  • Options
    One of my struggles right now is getting the ball to stop on fast greens when chipping.   Costs me probably 5 strokes when playing nicer courses.