Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    eddiec wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Nah, it's just the moral dilemma that I struggle with when watching the tournament. If I were to watch it with any level of critical thinking I'd instantly turn it off, but it's like the one time of year that I can manage to hold it in...though I do have to change the channel when they start waxing poetic about the "people who make this place so great".

iron%2Bmy%2Bshirt%2Bb.JPG

My dad's friend belongs to a club where they recently denied Bill Murray as a member. Isn't that the basis of a 'club'? You let in who you want. Why does Augusta have to yield to social 'correctness'? If you don't like it then you go and start your own club. No?

Anyway, if Tiger putts well he will be right in the mix. I think he is leading the PGA in a couple of ball hitting statistics so if the putter gets going he will be a contender. After he retooled his swing after his first Masters domination he didn't win on the tour for about 2 years.(I think) 3 years ago he was still considered a God. I think he has 4-5 more years as 'the' golfer if he can stay healthy.
    Even if I don't start my own club does this preclude me from hating on a bunch of racist and sexist dickbags who get a national audience to peddle their smarmy bullshit? Anyway go Tiger.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,679
    He's admitted he spends more time with his kids, and he practices less. He admits whether calculated or not, that this is where his priorities should be.

where are you getting this idea? Elin got custody :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    All wins are not equal in the eyes of Tiger. If you think a tour win means as much to him as winning number 19 you are out of your mind my friend

Never did I say that all wins are equal. Obviously majors are more important. You said that non-major wins are meaningless. If you really think that, then you my friend are out of your mind.

I really don't give a shit about buddhism or Tiger letting his family down or whatever the hell you are talking. The guy is a golfer. One of the best in the world. I enjoy watching him play. Plain and simple.

i think it all plays into it. Tiger in that post scandal speech suggested a major reason why he lost himself, was because he strayed from buddhism and what his parents had taught him, and that he felt entitled, and prideful etc...

i get you could care less about his personal life. but tiger felt it was a big enough deal for him to spend time away from golf, go to rehab and restructure his life with his kids. That all relates to his golf game, directly and indirectly.

And im sure if he would answer questions related to this, i think he'd say, what he learned post scandal, and in rehab was most likely, about restructuring his life, putting his faith in his spirituality, taking more time to spend time with family, trying to figure out how to make amends and forgive himself.

All im saying is all that effects whether he wins again or not. This all doesnt happen in a vaccuum. His drought and the scandal didnt just happen out of thin air, they were related. And he;d be the first to tell you, In fact he has, in that post scandal televised speech. he said exactly that.

He;s won 1 event. period. anyone suggesting that means anything beyond 1 tour event win, isnt dealing in facts.

Whether people want to admit it or not, he's aging. I fail to see that as some huge lightning bolt idea. as with any athlete he has two choices, and they may not be in his control really either. I dont think they are. He may not be able to recover either mentally from his personal life, or physically from his body breaking down and aging, and thus wont win again. Or he could do as I was saying, figure out a way to win suited to his strengths now as a 36 year old. Injuries are in large part, out of his control.

One thing I think is obvious I dont think he will be doing the Senior or Champions tour at 50 or 60. i cant even picture him playing that late into his 40's. maybe mid 40's at the latest. I dont think he has any desire to do that. so given that time table, and his track record lately, i just dont see him winning 19, much less many more majors, if any at all.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    He's admitted he spends more time with his kids, and he practices less. He admits whether calculated or not, that this is where his priorities should be.

where are you getting this idea? Elin got custody :?

So he doesnt see his kids at all? Ive seen him personally say it, on tv. He spends less time practicing and more time with his kids. thats as close to a quote as i think you could find. But im certain he's said it. And he also said the priorities part as well. My understanding was that it was just as he said, he spends most of his time with his kids and with his mom and family, and that practicing golf is secondary to him, and have been since the scandal became public
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,070
    Tiger won two weeks ago, he's up to #6 in the rankings, hes won the masters four times, hes won 10 other majors besides the masters victories, he had the lead on ten tee on sunday after not playing for a year, and there's a debate on who is the favorite?
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,848
    hes obviously supremely talented, but the scandal really turned me off to him. I was his biggest fan in 2000 and 2001. what he did was beyond the pale in my eyes. others may not care what he does in his personal life, but what he did certainly hurt and effected way more people than himself. its fine to do things in your own private life, but when those things start effecting others, thats sort of common decency to be aware of that stuff.

Tiger got caught, plain and simple. What do you think basketball players are doing when they are on the road? Baseball players? All sports.

Also, that's like saying you don't like Hemingway's writing because he was arrogant and womanising in his personal life.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127
    eddiec wrote:
    Tiger got caught, plain and simple. What do you think basketball players are doing when they are on the road? Baseball players? All sports.

Also, that's like saying you don't like Hemingway's writing because he was arrogant and womanising in his personal life.
    I remember someone in baseball remarking that Roger Clemens was the only player who was faithful to his wife ... well, we all saw how that turned out.

You have to be nuts to be a star player and get married these days. That's why I hope the Colts don't draft RG3. He just proposed to his girlfriend ... that implies poor decision making skills to me.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Pairings just came out

http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/pa ... index.html

Tiger/M.Jimenez/S.Bae
    Rory/Bubba/Angel Cabrera
    Phil/Hunter Mahan/P. Hanson
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It wouldn't be anything like that with nadal because tennis players peak in the early 20's, Mickelson is 40 something and one of the best in the world. Completely different games. I dont get your point at all. Tiger has been talking for months about how much work he has put in to fix his swing. You love assuming shit.

im not really understanding your confusion.

saying he;s back based on one win in 2 years, and that this means he's going to win the masters and start winning majors again, thats an assumption. thats assuming things. theres no evidence to back up the assumption that he's back. you just feel that way.

times have changed. the mickelson comparion means nothing. mickelson doesnt have the 14 majors tiger does, but right now, in 2012, and in the last few years theres no question who was a more feared and dominant player. that player isnt named Eldrick! Mickelson being 40 and dominant and successful and tiger being a few years younger doesnt amount to much of a comparison largely because of what i just outlined. take away the 14 majors tigers won, and deal with how both have been playing the last few years, no question who's the better player lately. the fact that mickelson has been playing well and is 40 doesnt mean much because he;s not injured as often nor to the degree tiger has been, and he hasnt had to retool his golf swing, and if he has its obviously worked as opposed to what has happened with tiger, and mickelson has also had his share of off course drama, so far he's found a way to block it out and remain present on the course. could tiger learn to be like that? sure. but i dont think its likely.

i dont think he's ever been good at blocking that stuff out from his mind. and i dont blame the guy. his fathers death, and the scandal and everything else. thats hard stuff to not think about. but he's always had trouble with that

I never said he was going to win this weekend. And comparing Tiger to Mickelson doesn't make sense but comparing Tiger to Nadal does? You are really criticizing my comparsion when you compared him to a fucking tennis player? :lol: :?

Edit: And Tiger isn't good at blocking things out? Isn't that his fucking trademark? You crack me up dude.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    edited April 2012
    :lol::lol::lol:

anyways, back to talking about golf and specifically the masters...

:D
    Pairings just came out

http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/pa ... index.html

Rory/Bubba/Angel Cabrera

that'll be a good group to follow
    Post edited by norm on
  • Options
    norm wrote:

all three of those are good parings. I don't like Bubba, but he's fun to watch.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i edited but yeah bubba seems like a bit of a tool but the dude can bomb it...he and rory should put on a good show

dustin johnson has withdrew due to a tweeked back
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i edited but yeah bubba seems like a bit of a tool but the dude can bomb it...he and rory should put on a good show

Yeah, whines a lot too. Dude can hit it a long damn ways. Should be a lot of fun.

That's too bad. Looking like LaCava made a decent decision, so far at least.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sooo ... could they have invited ernie?
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

ernie didn't want it...he wanted to be there because of his playing
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I know, such a shame. He was in it the past few weeks too with a chance.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    norm wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

damm ... really? ... all the power to him i guess ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    norm wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

damm ... really? ... all the power to him i guess ...

not saying that they were gonna give him an exemption, but he said he really didn't want it...it is too bad...ernie should have won at least one green jacket
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,791
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I never said he was going to win this weekend. And comparing Tiger to Mickelson doesn't make sense but comparing Tiger to Nadal does? You are really criticizing my comparsion when you compared him to a fucking tennis player? :lol: :?

Edit: And Tiger isn't good at blocking things out? Isn't that his fucking trademark? You crack me up dude.

He thinks if he writes 5 paragraphs that he is making good points. Bunch of nonsense.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    norm wrote:

Yeah, Bubba hits the shit out of the ball. But someone does need to tell him to unbutton that top button on his shirt...he looks like a douche!

Too bad for Johnson. I can't imagine how brutal it would be to not be healthy enough to play the Masters.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

He thinks if he writes 5 paragraphs that he is making good points. Bunch of nonsense.

:lol:
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,536
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

less is more.

;)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

less is more.

;)

I tried to introduce him to brevity a while back. Obviously, they don't get along.
  • Options
    Phil was asked what he thinks Tiger will take from Bay Hill win: "I think it's huge for him. Sucks for us..."

:lol:
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,070
    norm wrote:

Yeah, Bubba hits the shit out of the ball. But someone does need to tell him to unbutton that top button on his shirt...he looks like a douche!

Too bad for Johnson. I can't imagine how brutal it would be to not be healthy enough to play the Masters.

I don't get when people are so offended by buttoning the top button. Is it because some people think that's the proper way and you are being a rebel because you refuse to button all the way to the top like your mommy made you do? Some people actually pull off the buttoned up look quite well, I'd say, and conversely look a little awkward with an open collar. Different strokes, I guess. Pun intended.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    I don't get when people are so offended by buttoning the top button. Is it because some people think that's the proper way and you are being a rebel because you refuse to button all the way to the top like your mommy made you do? Some people actually pull off the buttoned up look quite well, I'd say, and conversely look a little awkward with an open collar. Different strokes, I guess. Pun intended.

I'm not offended by it. I just think it looks stupid.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,536

I'm not offended by it. I just think it looks stupid.

it all has to do with the placement of the 2nd button. if that is off, the whole shirt just is out of whack.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i don't give a shit about a button but this crap...

16694.2.jpg

rickie-fowler-27-september-2010-224x300.jpg

has just gotta end...and i don't give a fuck if the kids like...you look like an ass
  • Options
    martin kaymer...hole in one on 16...by skipping across the pond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PL-DFrgzRs
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    martin kaymer...hole in one on 16...by skipping across the pond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PL-DFrgzRs

That is all kinds of awesome.