Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    edited April 2012
    what made jordan so brilliant was how when he came back in 1995, he was probably a better player than he was in the previous incarnation. He was older. He couldnt dunk as much. And he completely rearranged his game, and came up with the fadeaway jumper and shots on the perimeter which was as lethal and unstoppable as any shot he ever had.

With tiger, he's been retooling and changing his swing for as long as i can remember. its been years of that. his age obviously effects him, and he isnt going to be driving the ball 300 plus yards anymore. he just isnt. Those insane shots arent there anymore. And this is how he seems different from MJ. Tiger isnt the same player he was in 2000. And so far his multiple attempts to change his game have failed. The tiger of 2012 isnt lethal, nor is he feared. the jordan of 1995 and 1996 was just as feared as the jordan of 1991 and 1992.

One of the major things ive always admired about jordan is how proving people wrong drives him. Kobe is the same way. They thrive on people saying "he's old, he's washed up" "he cant do this". With tiger that seems to have evaporated on that Thanksgiving night a few years ago. He's got many people, myself included, saying he's never going to win another major again, and that his tour victories will be few and far between. He's lost millions of fans, disappointed millions, lost endorsements, and hasnt won a major in years, and has only won 1 tour event in years. the desire to prove people wrong isnt there. the desire to prove naysayers wrong doesnt seem to be motivating tiger. and im not sure if it ever did. i think he wanted 19 majors. i think thats all thats driven him since he was a youngster. thats been the motivator.

for whatever reason he hasnt been able to come up with a way to dominate the game like he once did. and i think the scandal didnt help in this matter, and only made things worse.

could tiger rearrange his game and tailor it to his strengths as a veteran and "older" player now and be as dominant and deadly as he was in 2000? sure. but i dont think he will.

i dont think he will win at augusta, nor do i think he will ever win another major

There is so much nonsense in here, I don't know where to start. This whole thing is a gigantic assumption about Tigers personality, when in fact, you (or me) really know nothing about what drives him. I'd venture to guess that you are completely off base when saying he doesn't thrive on criticism. Every time he was criticized in the past, he went ape shit. Just ask Ames, for one example. There are many many more.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/n ... 0/9258579/

And yeah, his game is different but not sure how you can say he's never going to win a major again when he just beat a legit field on a course as tough as many majors. Dude doesn't need to hit the ball as far as he did, he wins when he putts.

Not sure how many "fans" he lost. That last round at Bay Hill was awesome and he had every single person at 18 chanting his name as he walked off. You will sure as fuck hear a Tiger eagle from anywhere on the course this weekend, especially with the win under his belt.

Edit: And he is averaging 298 yards per drive on the year, which is just fine. He doesn't need to hit it like Bubba.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    masters week!!! best week of the year!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Yes it is, yes it is.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    what made jordan so brilliant was how when he came back in 1995, he was probably a better player than he was in the previous incarnation. He was older. He couldnt dunk as much. And he completely rearranged his game, and came up with the fadeaway jumper and shots on the perimeter which was as lethal and unstoppable as any shot he ever had.

With tiger, he's been retooling and changing his swing for as long as i can remember. its been years of that. his age obviously effects him, and he isnt going to be driving the ball 300 plus yards anymore. he just isnt. Those insane shots arent there anymore. And this is how he seems different from MJ. Tiger isnt the same player he was in 2000. And so far his multiple attempts to change his game have failed. The tiger of 2012 isnt lethal, nor is he feared. the jordan of 1995 and 1996 was just as feared as the jordan of 1991 and 1992.

One of the major things ive always admired about jordan is how proving people wrong drives him. Kobe is the same way. They thrive on people saying "he's old, he's washed up" "he cant do this". With tiger that seems to have evaporated on that Thanksgiving night a few years ago. He's got many people, myself included, saying he's never going to win another major again, and that his tour victories will be few and far between. He's lost millions of fans, disappointed millions, lost endorsements, and hasnt won a major in years, and has only won 1 tour event in years. the desire to prove people wrong isnt there. the desire to prove naysayers wrong doesnt seem to be motivating tiger. and im not sure if it ever did. i think he wanted 19 majors. i think thats all thats driven him since he was a youngster. thats been the motivator.

for whatever reason he hasnt been able to come up with a way to dominate the game like he once did. and i think the scandal didnt help in this matter, and only made things worse.

could tiger rearrange his game and tailor it to his strengths as a veteran and "older" player now and be as dominant and deadly as he was in 2000? sure. but i dont think he will.

i dont think he will win at augusta, nor do i think he will ever win another major

There is so much nonsense in here, I don't know where to start. This whole thing is a gigantic assumption about Tigers personality, when in fact, you (or me) really know nothing about what drives him. I'd venture to guess that you are completely off base when saying he doesn't thrive on criticism. Every time he was criticized in the past, he went ape shit. Just ask Ames, for one example. There are many many more.

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/n ... 0/9258579/

And yeah, his game is different but not sure how you can say he's never going to win a major again when he just beat a legit field on a course as tough as many majors. Dude doesn't need to hit the ball as far as he did, he wins when he putts.

Not sure how many "fans" he lost. That last round at Bay Hill was awesome and he had every single person at 18 chanting his name as he walked off. You will sure as fuck hear a Tiger eagle from anywhere on the course this weekend, especially with the win under his belt.

Edit: And he is averaging 298 yards per drive on the year, which is just fine. He doesn't need to hit it like Bubba.

Very nice. I started responding to that post, but I was so flustered by that nonsense that I couldn't even type the words and make sense.
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Yes it is, yes it is.
    i love the tournament but absolutely have to suppress any attempt to view this despicable (zap-shit)...I mean wonderful, self-fellating (zap-gawd dammit)...I mean historic-, al celebration of what makes really rich white people so great (stun has been set to 20)...I mean never mind the fact that its groundskeepers die at NFL/WWE rates because of the pesticides, never mind that it will take a loophole for a woman to become a member, never mind the obvious propaganda for 1%-ers, it's the fucking Masters. "Can't wait" (Scott, 2010)!
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Cant wait. By far the best week of the year for golf fans.

Who do we like this week? Tiger, Phil, Rory, Donald, Westwood? Other? Hunter looked strong yesterday, he might be due. I'd like to see a middle-tier american win it this year (Dustin Johnson, Mahan, Bubba, etc).
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    RW81233 wrote:
    i love the tournament but absolutely have to suppress any attempt to view this despicable (zap-shit)...I mean wonderful, self-fellating (zap-gawd dammit)...I mean historic-, al celebration of what makes really rich white people so great (stun has been set to 20)...I mean never mind the fact that its groundskeepers die at NFL/WWE rates because of the pesticides, never mind that it will take a loophole for a woman to become a member, never mind the obvious propaganda for 1%-ers, it's the fucking Masters. "Can't wait" (Scott, 2010)!

:lol::lol:

i like rory this week ... i also have a feeling one of the veterans like couples to contend ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    RW81233 wrote:
    Did the bars open early in your neighborhood today? ;)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,919
    Jason P wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

:lol:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

anyways, back to golf...always hard to handicap the masters...phil and tiger are perennial favorites...rory will win a couple of these before he's all done...first one could come this year...as for the newer guys, i haven't watched enough golf in the last few years to know...bubba has the game for augusta but not sure he has the head yet...doesn't really matter...it's april in augusta!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,673
    norm wrote:

what up, norm?

fuck tiger ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    norm wrote:

anyways, back to golf...always hard to handicap the masters...phil and tiger are perennial favorites...rory will win a couple of these before he's all done...first one could come this year...as for the newer guys, i haven't watched enough golf in the last few years to know...bubba has the game for augusta but not sure he has the head yet...doesn't really matter...it's april in augusta!! :mrgreen:

from what i gather ... bubba doesn't set up well for augusta because the course is set up for guys who hit cut shots assuming right handed ... bubba plays a huge slice and is left handed ...
  • Options
    Looks like a chance of thunderstorms on Thursday and Friday with the weekend being nice and sunny.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    norm wrote:

from what i gather ... bubba doesn't set up well for augusta because the course is set up for guys who hit cut shots assuming right handed ... bubba plays a huge slice and is left handed ...

see? i figured with the way he bombs it he would just need a good short game...but being a lefty doesn't rule him out ;)
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:

what up, norm?

fuck tiger ;)

no thanks...i'm not a 20 year old blonde whore (well, not anymore) :P
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    see? i figured with the way he bombs it he would just need a good short game...but being a lefty doesn't rule him out ;)

yeah ... considering both mickelson and weir have won it ... not sure how sound that logic is ... :lol:

i just heard one of the analysts on tv talking about how tiger is drawing the ball well but that it didn't matter in augusta because it's geared towards guys who can play cuts ...
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Jason P wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Nah, it's just the moral dilemma that I struggle with when watching the tournament. If I were to watch it with any level of critical thinking I'd instantly turn it off, but it's like the one time of year that I can manage to hold it in...though I do have to change the channel when they start waxing poetic about the "people who make this place so great".
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cant wait. By far the best week of the year for golf fans.

Who do we like this week? Tiger, Phil, Rory, Donald, Westwood? Other? Hunter looked strong yesterday, he might be due. I'd like to see a middle-tier american win it this year (Dustin Johnson, Mahan, Bubba, etc).
    I'm going with Tiger. I think his win a couple weeks ago is a good moral boost for him.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    Nah, it's just the moral dilemma that I struggle with when watching the tournament. If I were to watch it with any level of critical thinking I'd instantly turn it off, but it's like the one time of year that I can manage to hold it in...though I do have to change the channel when they start waxing poetic about the "people who make this place so great".

iron%2Bmy%2Bshirt%2Bb.JPG

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    If I have time, I'll try creating a female golfer on Tiger Woods 13 and see what happens when I win the Masters. :) Perhaps EA has a self-destruct code hidden in the game for such a scenario .... :think: ..... :o

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeayKoRvBoYIrQM2JdDkHJ4hEbWjl1-XIQCKVH_YBJIDCM50vS
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    imalive wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

iron%2Bmy%2Bshirt%2Bb.JPG

My dad's friend belongs to a club where they recently denied Bill Murray as a member. Isn't that the basis of a 'club'? You let in who you want. Why does Augusta have to yield to social 'correctness'? If you don't like it then you go and start your own club. No?

Anyway, if Tiger putts well he will be right in the mix. I think he is leading the PGA in a couple of ball hitting statistics so if the putter gets going he will be a contender. After he retooled his swing after his first Masters domination he didn't win on the tour for about 2 years.(I think) 3 years ago he was still considered a God. I think he has 4-5 more years as 'the' golfer if he can stay healthy.
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:
    3 years ago he was still considered a God.

the motherfucker was never considered a god by me. :x :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    bottom line: he could win every pga event from now until he's 50. fact is that means nothing. and tiger and everyone else knows it. He didnt have jack's victories on the wall. he had the majors on his wall. 18 was in his mind, and more specifically 19 his whole life. These tour events mean nothing to him. It would be like Jordan winning in the regular season and losing the finals. jordan is who he is because he did it all.

tiger hasnt won a major in 3 years. someone here posted he was a hero 3 years ago. alots happenend in 3 years. He's admitted he spends more time with his kids, and he practices less. He admits whether calculated or not, that this is where his priorities should be. and i agree. but his game will suffer as a result. He's no longer spending every waking moment on the course and practicing. Anyone who doubts the impact of what happened on thanksgiving, and the fallout, the rehab he went to, the divorce, etc... whoever doesnt think that had a major impact on him personally and his game, you are out of your minds!

The one thing that tiger has always cared about is 19. Thats driven his whole life. Winning a few events means nothing. Its the majors that the public, and he himself has always defined his success.

And as i said, golfers can evolve. just because hes relatively older, doesnt mean he has to hang it up and retire. Jordans game evolved as he got older, and so could tigers. problem is, tiger has been hugely unsuccessful, save this one event. The "retooling my swing" statement, ive heard that for years. Years. he seems to be getting injured alot more, and more often. Thats the scary thing about sports. These guys quit so young. In art, music, people can do that the rest of their lives, well into their 70's and 80's. In sports a baseball player or tennis player is washed up by what, 30 years old?

Tigers winning majors in the future is dependant on things he seems to not be able to do. which is, to put his personal life and demons away and concentrate on golf, and to figure out a way to win despite his body breaking down and aging. Since long tee shots and drives are no longer a reality, how does he rearrange and alter his game to play to his strengths? how can he alter his game ala Jordan's fadeaway jumper, so as to be as deadly in 2012, as he was in 2000?

I just dont see him doing it.

my point is in 2000 he'd never be caught dead admitting he had a life outside golf or that anything other than golf mattered. his kids are a priority now, as is getting his spiritual life back together, and he has publicly admitted as i said, he doesnt see himself being a golfer the rest of his life. Thats stuff that indicates to me, golf no longer is the top priority and thing he spends every waking moment thinking about as he did in say 1998 or so.
  • Options
    its funny all the tiger apoligists on this board. tiger is driven by majors. anything else to him i think is meaningless. and the press since day 1 has judged him based on how close he gets to 18. or 19.

Tiger would admit the win the other day, was not the same as a major. He;s not driven by tour wins. I think thats meaningless to him.

kind of interesting the myopia some people have. I say he's a different player than he was 12 years ago. people say "how could someone not be different". Then I say he's aged and will never win another major. People argue he will and that he's doing just fine. What was the last 2 years of winless attempts then? You cant have it both ways.

The nonsense is the people who are the tiger apologists. The guy wins 1 tour event, a non major and people are already crowning him masters favorite. Its absurd.

The guy has major personal demons i think he's still working through, he's older, has chronic injuries, and was winless for 2 years prior to the other day. How that constitutes Tiger being back to normal or back to winning is beyond me.

The new Tiger, one that knows how to play and not get injured and flare up his injuries, one who can keep focused on golf, one who can keep balanced in his life, one who can alter his game so its tailored to the new Tiger, thats something that needs to be done, and hasnt been done for him to win another major.

Otherwise its just tour event wins. Anyone who thinks tiger puts as much emphasis and stock on the regular events as opposed to the majors is beyond insane
  • Options
    its funny all the tiger apoligists on this board. tiger is driven by majors. anything else to him i think is meaningless. and the press since day 1 has judged him based on how close he gets to 18. or 19.

Tiger would admit the win the other day, was not the same as a major. He;s not driven by tour wins. I think thats meaningless to him.

kind of interesting the myopia some people have. I say he's a different player than he was 12 years ago. people say "how could someone not be different". Then I say he's aged and will never win another major. People argue he will and that he's doing just fine. What was the last 2 years of winless attempts then? You cant have it both ways.

The nonsense is the people who are the tiger apologists. The guy wins 1 tour event, a non major and people are already crowning him masters favorite. Its absurd.

The guy has major personal demons i think he's still working through, he's older, has chronic injuries, and was winless for 2 years prior to the other day. How that constitutes Tiger being back to normal or back to winning is beyond me.

The new Tiger, one that knows how to play and not get injured and flare up his injuries, one who can keep focused on golf, one who can keep balanced in his life, one who can alter his game so its tailored to the new Tiger, thats something that needs to be done, and hasnt been done for him to win another major.

Otherwise its just tour event wins. Anyone who thinks tiger puts as much emphasis and stock on the regular events as opposed to the majors is beyond insane

Obviously winning a regular tour event isn't the same as a major. But to say that it's meaningless is asinine. The guy is a competitor. I'm sure him and every other golfer on the tour want to win every tournament that they enter. To be honest, I don't really see what point you are trying to make about Tiger with all of your ramblings on this thread. I could give a shit what he does with his personal life. All I know is that I love watching one of the greatest golfers of all time when he is on top of his game.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847

I think we all know Tiger plays for majors. Other tourneys are warmups for majors. As of April 2, 2012 Tiger is 1st in scoring average on the PGA Tour at 68.27 per round.
  • Options
    the point im making should be self evident. his not winning in 2 years wasnt an accident. it didnt just happen just because. or for no reason. there were reasons why. and those should be obvious. Its not like he got in this way just because. there were reasons and events, things that happened. His personal life and his golf game merge. i think its silly to even suggest otherwise. Tiger would be the first to say that. Thats what buddhism is all about, balance, calmness, being one, being aware, being in the moment, tuning out the noise, pressure, the scandal, the divorce etc... and playing golf. he's been unable to do that.

he's won 1 event, a tour event, non major after a 2 year drought. youll excuse me if im not saying he is a shoo in to win the masters or any major any time soon.

winning majors is his goal. in order to do that he needs several things: to figure out how to play and not reinjury himself. and figure out how to retool his game. Thats fundamental stuff. Not really sure where the confusion is.

He's not going to be winning majors again, if he gets injured. and he cant win majors again, if his swing isnt good. Its not really a matter of him just going out there and playing. its all tied to the scandal, his views on how he let his wife and kids down, how he let his mom and dad and buddhism down. how he let the fans down. how he let himself down. Its all tied into it.

It would be like Nadal on a drought of wins for years, injured constantly, involved in a scandal that results in divorce and public humiliation, and then 2 years later he suddenly wins 1 event. Not a grand slam. just one event. Would he be back? would he be a favorite for the French Open?

All wins are not equal in the eyes of Tiger. If you think a tour win means as much to him as winning number 19 you are out of your mind my friend
  • Options
    It wouldn't be anything like that with nadal because tennis players peak in the early 20's, Mickelson is 40 something and one of the best in the world. Completely different games. I dont get your point at all. Tiger has been talking for months about how much work he has put in to fix his swing. You love assuming shit.
  • Options
    hes obviously supremely talented, but the scandal really turned me off to him. I was his biggest fan in 2000 and 2001. what he did was beyond the pale in my eyes. others may not care what he does in his personal life, but what he did certainly hurt and effected way more people than himself. its fine to do things in your own private life, but when those things start effecting others, thats sort of common decency to be aware of that stuff.

i admire, MJ, and tiger for the drive they have in terms of their goals. i think thats a valuable trait they possess, and something to emulate. but with tiger it seems the goal created a sort of tunnel vision where personal behavior and how he treated others and how he conducted his life really took a backseat to fame, glory, money, women.

I think all that does impact ones golf game. it would impact his life if he was a truck driver or manager at a store. it effects him as well even as he is the golfing legend that he is. for one to be an effective anything, i think one needs to deal with these issues, add on age, injuries, and the unsuccessful times he's tried to get his game back on track, thats alot to deal with. The 2 years it took him to win 1 event, i think is normal given what happened. doesnt mean he;s going to win majors though, nor does it mean he;s going to start winning events with any regularity
  • Options
    All wins are not equal in the eyes of Tiger. If you think a tour win means as much to him as winning number 19 you are out of your mind my friend

Never did I say that all wins are equal. Obviously majors are more important. You said that non-major wins are meaningless. If you really think that, then you my friend are out of your mind.

I really don't give a shit about buddhism or Tiger letting his family down or whatever the hell you are talking. The guy is a golfer. One of the best in the world. I enjoy watching him play. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It wouldn't be anything like that with nadal because tennis players peak in the early 20's, Mickelson is 40 something and one of the best in the world. Completely different games. I dont get your point at all. Tiger has been talking for months about how much work he has put in to fix his swing. You love assuming shit.

im not really understanding your confusion.

saying he;s back based on one win in 2 years, and that this means he's going to win the masters and start winning majors again, thats an assumption. thats assuming things. theres no evidence to back up the assumption that he's back. you just feel that way.

times have changed. the mickelson comparion means nothing. mickelson doesnt have the 14 majors tiger does, but right now, in 2012, and in the last few years theres no question who was a more feared and dominant player. that player isnt named Eldrick! Mickelson being 40 and dominant and successful and tiger being a few years younger doesnt amount to much of a comparison largely because of what i just outlined. take away the 14 majors tigers won, and deal with how both have been playing the last few years, no question who's the better player lately. the fact that mickelson has been playing well and is 40 doesnt mean much because he;s not injured as often nor to the degree tiger has been, and he hasnt had to retool his golf swing, and if he has its obviously worked as opposed to what has happened with tiger, and mickelson has also had his share of off course drama, so far he's found a way to block it out and remain present on the course. could tiger learn to be like that? sure. but i dont think its likely.

i dont think he's ever been good at blocking that stuff out from his mind. and i dont blame the guy. his fathers death, and the scandal and everything else. thats hard stuff to not think about. but he's always had trouble with that