Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,679
    norm wrote:
    there may be a problem with luke donald's card...he said he shot 75, scorer says 73...if scorer is right, luke is disqualified

anyone else old enough to remember roberto de vencenzo? probably not :roll: :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    there may be a problem with luke donald's card...he said he shot 75, scorer says 73...if scorer is right, luke is disqualified

anyone else old enough to remember roberto de vencenzo? probably not :roll: :lol:

well, i was but a tiny fetus at the time so yeah i sure do! ;) :P :lol:

besides, being dq'ed in the first round isn't as bad as being dq'd when you thing you just won
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,791
    imalive wrote:

Dude, we're all just talking about the Masters on this thread.

in other words.....don't go all moving train on us :lol:

Thank You. :D
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Turns out he is OK. The scorer messed up. They had him down for a birdie on a hole that he actually had a birdie.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    Hell of a finish for Rory. I don't know why, Westwood may be the most boring and dry golfer I have ever seen, but I like something about him. Want Tiger to win this weekend but definitely hope Westwood gets a major at some point.

Tiger's got to be really satisfied getting out of that with a 72 after the way he played, right?
  • Options
    i didn't catch a lot of rory today...dodger game is almost over so i'll go check the dvr

some of the comments from tiger made it seem like it was tough out there today

i really want to be in augusta right now
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Hell of a finish for Rory. I don't know why, Westwood may be the most boring and dry golfer I have ever seen, but I like something about him. Want Tiger to win this weekend but definitely hope Westwood gets a major at some point.

Tiger's got to be really satisfied getting out of that with a 72 after the way he played, right?

I don't think he is too satisfied considering he finished bogey-bogey.

I want Tiger to win just to upset musicismylife.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:

'What a stupid I am.'

Something like that.
    #FHP
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,848
    Tough weather out there today. Looked at a forecast and it should get better as the day goes on(although there is a chance of rain later). Should favor the later tee times.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,679

it would upset me, too. fuck tiger :x

:lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

:lol::lol:

rory -3 thru 8 today
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

it would upset me, too. fuck tiger :x

:lol:

I forgot...I would also like Tiger to win to upset you!
  • Options
    Anyone else download the Masters app on their phone? Stuck at work so I can't watch. It's pretty good....has live streaming coverage of 15 & 16 and of 2 featured groups. Obviously it isn't a very productive day at the office...
  • Options
    freddy with a 67 today...tied for the clubhouse lead...be awesome if he won 20 years after he last won it
  • Options
    tiger's putter is betraying him +2 thru 11
  • Options
    The people in the gallery who yell "get in the hole" as soon as the golfer hits the tee shot on a par 3 should be thrown off the course immediately.
  • Options
    tiger is falling apart...in the right bunker on 16...looked like an amateur on 15 after going right into the gallery next to the green then chipping into bunker...hopefully he can par out for the day and make a run tomorrow
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    tiger is falling apart...in the right bunker on 16...looked like an amateur on 15 after going right into the gallery next to the green then chipping into bunker...hopefully he can par out for the day and make a run tomorrow

He better pull it together on these last 2...he keeps falling apart like this and he may miss the cut.

He looked like me on 15 chipping into that bunker....unbelievable.
  • Options

i thought it was the camera angle but like faldo said, why wasn't his body open more? it's basic chipping...open your body to the left to open the face...totally bizarre

jesus he bogeyed 16 :shock:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

i thought it was the camera angle but like faldo said, why wasn't his body open more? it's basic chipping...open your body to the left to open the face...totally bizarre

Yeah, he has obviously lost it mentally today.
  • Options
    its not bizaare at all. That said I dont view him as the number 1 golfer or the most feared one either so that may have something to do with it. Is a victory at the masters out of the question? no. he could still win. But i do think those who suggested he was going to be the same guy he was, dominant, unstoppable, brutal, that he was years ago, are unbelieveably asinine at best.

So much of golf is about shutting out the world, and focusing on that one putt, that one drive, that 1 shot. Tiger is unable to do that. And thats been the case for years. Im interested not in reliving glory days of old, because as was suggested pages ago, the tiger of 2000 is never coming back. Just as the Jordan of 1998 was different than the Jordan of 1991.

Jordan, who I would say is the closest to Tiger in terms of sports dominance, never had the types of personal troubles Tiger has faced for several years now. Although, indeed Jordan lost his dad, and had gambling trouble.

And in this case, I do think, and why would I think otherwise, Tiger has said what was wrong with him. He lost his way. He cheated, lied, lived multiple li(v)es, lost his marriage, was exposed as a fraud and liar in front of the world, and by his own admission lost his faith. Thats not something you get back over night. Nor is it something you block out of your daily life, whether thats as a teacher or a cashier, or in this case the most famous golfer in the world.

Its the mental. Its the spiritual. Winning one tournament doesnt mean squat. Just as a baseball team can win a regular season game and lose in the first round of the playoffs, just as a basketball team can win the most games in the season and lose the finals. Just as a tennis player can win several tournaments leading up to a grand slam but then lose the grand slam.

Tiger wont be back to the tiger of 1999-2000. He has his work cut out for him. He can rearrange the game to suit himself. He can find a great new swing and win the next 20 majors. He can somehow find a way to play hard but be able to protect his body from injury. Its all a matter though of shutting off the noise in his own head, of somehow finding peace with his situation. I dont think that happens overnight. Nor do i think it only takes 2 years to sort out. I think its something he will be dealing with his entire life.

What im facinated by is why would anyone think otherwise?
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Yeah, he has obviously lost it mentally today.

Today? I wish tiger no ill will, if he wins another major that wont effect me at all, but alot of you guys seem to view the guy in some myopic way. He won 1 tournament. A non major. That this win was considered some sort of "comeback", when it really meant nothing, is the real shocking thing to me.

The guys been injured, and unhealthy for awhile. Even ignoring the scandal. His injuries have caused major setbacks in his career, his whole career, but the last few years especially.

Im not sure why people assumed that a win at Bay Hill would lead to a win at Augusta. 2 different courses. 2 different scenarios and conditions. 2 seperate fields of players.

I didnt go into this thinking he'd win. Its just not reality. Its not his recent history. Tiger Woods isnt the only other person who went to Augusta bolstered by a win either.

you can tell im a diciple of jordan. but with him, i remember the bulls. I remember no matter what, even if they were down by 20 in the 4th, i knew they had a chance to win, a fairly good chance. As i said, Tiger could win. But I dont think Tiger commands that much faith as jordan, phil and the bulls did. At 24th, I doubt very many people sit in fear of him coming back to win. But maybe thats what hes been planning on. I doubt it though
  • Options

Its the mental. Its the spiritual. Winning one tournament doesnt mean squat. Just as a baseball team can win a regular season game and lose in the first round of the playoffs, just as a basketball team can win the most games in the season and lose the finals. Just as a tennis player can win several tournaments leading up to a grand slam but then lose the grand slam.

How can you possibly compare golf to basketball??? Even the worst teams in the history of the NBA are going to win games. The golfers on the PGA tour are the best in the world and the majority of them will never win once on the PGA tour.
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:

How can you possibly compare golf to basketball??? Even the worst teams in the history of the NBA are going to win games. The golfers on the PGA tour are the best in the world and the majority of them will never win once on the PGA tour.

ultimately the players speak for themselves, or let their games speak for themselves. MJ did it. Hank Aaron did it. All the legends did it. Even taking into account the aging factor i dont think anyone thinks Tiger is playing anywhere near his best golf. Somethings holding him back. Somethings changed. Whether thats age, injury, boredom, better players in the field than in 2000 and the fact these new players dont fear tiger and actually think they can win against him, a mental block, etc... is anyones guess. my opinion is thats its a combination of all those. The danger in equating a Bay Hill win with "tigers comeback", is that it presupposes that a healthy, mentally calm and serene, and dominant tiger would all result from a win. Thats all im sayin. I dont think a tiger comeback will be measured in wins. I dont think he can win unless he's clearheaded and clear thinking and at peace. Until he finds a way to find that peace, he wont win again, or ever.
  • Options
    its precisely as the announcers said on 16 or 17. this is possibly the greatest golfer in history, and he doesnt have a clue how to put the clubface to the ball and hit it. I think thats a very telling statement.
  • Options
    its precisely as the announcers said on 16 or 17. this is possibly the greatest golfer in history, and he doesnt have a clue how to put the clubface to the ball and hit it. I think thats a very telling statement.
    This could be your best post ever, but then it's not your words and not 5 frickin' paragraphs long. :twisted:
    #FHP
  • Options
    Back to The Masters.......

Tiger 2nd on 18 WTF?

Seems like alot of guys a hitting it all over the place. Lead is still the same as it was yesterday. Looks wide open. :D Going to be fun to watch this weekend.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    This could be your best post ever, but then it's not your words and not 5 frickin' paragraphs long. :twisted:

even though you are a fellow eugenean gotta disagree here. Ive always admired people who can sum up things in a small amount of words, im not one of them, nor do i really wish to be. Not to compare myself to Chomsky, but CNN was asked in the 90's why Chomsky was never invited to speak and give his political opinions on the shows. CNN said "we dont have 20 minutes to discuss these issues, we have a few minutes". While golf obviously isnt as important nor as pressing and weighty as say chomsky discussing u.s. foreign policy, the general premise is something I adhere to.

I dont think anyone can sum up whats ailing and bothering and hindering Tiger is a few sentences. Even a few paragraphs. Thats the whole point. Thats why the people who considered him "back to normal" after Bay Hill were childish. Theres been alot going on with him for a long time. You cant sum that up, nor discuss it in a condensed manner, because it isnt condensed. He's got a million things going on with him.

The quote you liked, that the commentator made, is succinct and to the point, and i think its correct. But its just a starting point. The fact that Tiger can't play to his previous standards is a reality, and today he couldnt play at all. We can use hyperbole and wish him to be good again, or back, or winning again, or dominant again, the fact is, he isn't. Plus the commentators stated "wow" and "inexplicable". knowing just the basics of where his head is, the last couple years, i dont find it all that surprising, nor inexplicable. the reasons for his meltdown and inability to win are self evident. Divorce, public humiliation, shame, loss of his father, arrogance, boredom, losing ones way. If those things matter, and can cause one to act in a bizaare manners, then certainly the fact that he can;t play golf like he used to, or at all, is hardly surprising or inexplicable.
  • Options

Rory played like an 18 handicapper on the back 9 here one year ago. We all know that mental breakdowns are a part of the game and you can't explain them. Please stop rambling, please.
  • Options
    Tigers swing was like an unfolding lawn chair.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOT_WygGoLw