Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    imalive wrote:
    most sports "hatred" is not rational.....I hate tiger just like so many people hate the yankees or the cowboys.

Irrational sports hatred is fun. When I watch any team play the Heat (especially the Bulls), I'm like a fucking basket case.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,673
    imalive wrote:
    most sports "hatred" is not rational.....I hate tiger just like so many people hate the yankees or the cowboys.

Irrational sports hatred is fun. When I watch any team play the Heat (especially the Bulls), I'm like a fucking basket case.

there you go....I hate tiger because it's fun. don't ruin my fun :lol:

it was also fun to see him give half a billion to elin :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,921
    personally thought it was great to see Tiger get back to winning ways

a true great, and a legend of the sport......i hope he takes the masters and the makes the statement we all know he can

i dont judge him by his personal life, i just admire the player he was and i hope he will be again
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    pdalowsky wrote:
    personally thought it was great to see Tiger get back to winning ways

a true great, and a legend of the sport......i hope he takes the masters and the makes the statement we all know he can

i dont judge him by his personal life, i just admire the player he was and i hope he will be again
    Exactly.

It's also great to see the best at anything BE the best...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,138
    imalive wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

I know Tiger isn't a role model but as a golfer he is...well, the best. Why do you hate him so much? Really.
    he claims it's bc tiger is "entitled" and surrounded by enablers, which may be true, but the same argument can be made about just about every single golfer on tour. this includes alive's tubby favorite phil mickelson whose as country club asshat as anyone else, bangs around on his wife, treats tournament interns like a d-bag, etc. thus his hatred on tiger makes no sense.

whoa, whoa, whoa RW....I didn't know I had a press secretary :lol:

yeah, I like phil over tiger but he's hardly my "favorite." I'm really not much of a fan of anyone in the white belt crowd.

I dislike tiger for his phoniness. my most accounts, he's pretty much a POS person. I hope he never wins another major. most sports "hatred" is not rational.....I hate tiger just like so many people hate the yankees or the cowboys.

fuck tiger ;)

I don't hate the Yankees I just dislike them very very much. :D i do like to watch Tiger and golf when he's winning. Due to such hatred of Tiger he'll probably go on and win another major or two.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Today is the first day of tryouts for middle school golf. I'm a first year teacher and got cornered into coaching. I've been playing golf all my life, but was never on a team since I always played baseball during golf season. This should be interesting.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    "hate" is a strong word. I probably don't literally hate tiger. I just hope for the worst when it comes to him :x

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    :lol::lol: you crack me up, rob...hate tiger, love barry ;):lol::lol:

btw, i hope arnie gets better
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    :lol::lol: you crack me up, rob...hate tiger, love barry ;):lol::lol:

barry kept it real :lol:
    norm wrote:
    btw, i hope arnie gets better

who's arnie? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    arnold palmer...ya know, great golfer...tiger won his tourney yesterday...he was hospitalized yesterday
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    arnold palmer...ya know, great golfer...tiger won his tourney yesterday...he was hospitalized yesterday

I've heard of that dude :lol: . didn't know he was having problems....I don't follow him on twitter ;)

I grew up in a house divided....dad was a jack guy; mom loved arnie. of course, back then, all the ladies went for arnie :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Speaking of Tiger, PGA Golf 13 hits the shelves on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Speaking of Tiger, PGA Golf 13 hits the shelves on Tuesday.

shoulda had some perkins waitresses and assorted floozies on the cover.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Anyone else been playing, got my 10 round of 2012 in last Saturday played pretty well 41/39 and did it just under 4 hours which is always nice.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    shoulda had some perkins waitresses and assorted floozies on the cover.
    They have Rickie Fowler which is a close 2nd.
  • Options
    tigers victory i dont think means much. I dont think anyone says he's the same player he was in 2000. He's gotten old it seems. I dont think the players fear him like they used to. I also think his personal demons had more of an impact on him than we will ever know. My belief is that he got bored. He was coasting, Winning and winning and winning. And i think he got bored of it. Maybe not consciously, more subconsciously. And what he said about it mirrors my analysis, he talked about how he felt priveledged and deserved things, and i think this goes along with the idea of being bored. He went into tournaments not expecting to win, but rather seemingly on hole 1 wanting the prize right then and there. Like his mere prescence at the tournament guaranteed he'd win.

I dont think tiger will ever win another major, and I think his tour victories will be few and far between. I think its a combination of his age, his body seemingly breaking down, and the mental mindset he is in in the wake of the scandal.

I think he also isnt playing as much as he used to. He's said his priorties were out of whack during the years of cheating. He makes it sound like he wasnt much of a dad or husband. Now it sounds like he spends alot more time with his kids, and that takes up most of his time. So he isnt practicing and playing as much. And that certainly has an impact on whether he wins on the course.

As recently as last year he was interviewed and he made it sound like he has no desire to play golf the rest of his life, and plans on doing something else. I didnt get the sense he's talking about retiring in his 50's or 60s. I got a sense it was in the near future. And he seemed okay with that.

i was a huge fan of the guys in the early 2000's. But its hard to follow him now, I dont respect him, and i dont know, what he did was just so far out of the realm of just common decency, its hard to even talk about. He has or had a huge problem.
  • Options
    i have no idea if he was sincere in his talk about the scandal and what happened, but it sounds like as i said, it had a major impact on him, the realization either that he was caught, or a genuine reflection that what he was doing was harming his children and wife. The impact of all that not only on his golf game but on his personal life, his kids lives, his ex wife, his friends and family, I dont think its accurately reflected in him not winning in a while prior to the other day. I think when he isnt on the golf course, and even when he is, I think he's most likely thinking about alot more than the shot he's hitting. And that has an impact
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    Tiger moves the needle, huh? Most golf chat in here in a while.

Who knows if he is fully back. But he concluded 8 days of golf with his first win in years and looked damn good doing it. And it wasn't an easy course by any stretch of the imagination. I think there were only 3 sub 70 rounds on Sunday including his 69. Was awesome to see him walk up 18 with it in hand. Can't wait for Augusta. Easter Sunday could be a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Who knows if he is fully back. But he concluded 8 days of golf with his first win in years and looked damn good doing it. And it wasn't an easy course by any stretch of the imagination. I think there were only 3 sub 70 rounds on Sunday including his 69. Was awesome to see him walk up 18 with it in hand. Can't wait for Augusta. Easter Sunday could be a lot of fun.
    I agree with you about Easter; going to be a lot of fun flipping back and forth with the Yankees and Augusta.

I think this win for Tiger is a huge confidence booster for him.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree with you about Easter; going to be a lot of fun flipping back and forth with the Yankees and Augusta.

Definitely, dude. That will be great. Love me the spring.

Yeah, definitely. At least reassurance that his hard work is paying off. Yesterday was the first time in a long time where you knew he was going to win and he was in complete control.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Definitely, dude. That will be great. Love me the spring.

Yeah, definitely. At least reassurance that his hard work is paying off. Yesterday was the first time in a long time where you knew he was going to win and he was in complete control.
    Same here.

I caught a little bit yesterday. When Tiger is on, he's unstoppable.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    tigers victory i dont think means much. I dont think anyone says he's the same player he was in 2000. He's gotten old it seems. I dont think the players fear him like they used to. I also think his personal demons had more of an impact on him than we will ever know. My belief is that he got bored. He was coasting, Winning and winning and winning. And i think he got bored of it. Maybe not consciously, more subconsciously. And what he said about it mirrors my analysis, he talked about how he felt priveledged and deserved things, and i think this goes along with the idea of being bored. He went into tournaments not expecting to win, but rather seemingly on hole 1 wanting the prize right then and there. Like his mere prescence at the tournament guaranteed he'd win.

I dont think tiger will ever win another major, and I think his tour victories will be few and far between. I think its a combination of his age, his body seemingly breaking down, and the mental mindset he is in in the wake of the scandal.

I think he also isnt playing as much as he used to. He's said his priorties were out of whack during the years of cheating. He makes it sound like he wasnt much of a dad or husband. Now it sounds like he spends alot more time with his kids, and that takes up most of his time. So he isnt practicing and playing as much. And that certainly has an impact on whether he wins on the course.

As recently as last year he was interviewed and he made it sound like he has no desire to play golf the rest of his life, and plans on doing something else. I didnt get the sense he's talking about retiring in his 50's or 60s. I got a sense it was in the near future. And he seemed okay with that.

i was a huge fan of the guys in the early 2000's. But its hard to follow him now, I dont respect him, and i dont know, what he did was just so far out of the realm of just common decency, its hard to even talk about. He has or had a huge problem.

really? an athlete isn't the same now as he was 12 years ago? :o

there is really no need for me to read the rest of that post.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    will augusta admit it's first female member!??

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d ... silts1YgM6
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    will augusta admit it's first female member!??

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d ... silts1YgM6

Like the article said, a perfect opening for them to.
  • Options
    Are no traditions sacred anymore?

;)
  • Options
    Going to be playin here in the fall,it looks like. Gotta get my game decent before then.

http://www.theclubatsavannahharbor.com/index.php
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it's true! ... corporations can make a difference!!
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    off to Myrtle Beach, 36 holes a day thursday, friday, saturday.. 8-)
  • Options
    what made jordan so brilliant was how when he came back in 1995, he was probably a better player than he was in the previous incarnation. He was older. He couldnt dunk as much. And he completely rearranged his game, and came up with the fadeaway jumper and shots on the perimeter which was as lethal and unstoppable as any shot he ever had.

With tiger, he's been retooling and changing his swing for as long as i can remember. its been years of that. his age obviously effects him, and he isnt going to be driving the ball 300 plus yards anymore. he just isnt. Those insane shots arent there anymore. And this is how he seems different from MJ. Tiger isnt the same player he was in 2000. And so far his multiple attempts to change his game have failed. The tiger of 2012 isnt lethal, nor is he feared. the jordan of 1995 and 1996 was just as feared as the jordan of 1991 and 1992.

One of the major things ive always admired about jordan is how proving people wrong drives him. Kobe is the same way. They thrive on people saying "he's old, he's washed up" "he cant do this". With tiger that seems to have evaporated on that Thanksgiving night a few years ago. He's got many people, myself included, saying he's never going to win another major again, and that his tour victories will be few and far between. He's lost millions of fans, disappointed millions, lost endorsements, and hasnt won a major in years, and has only won 1 tour event in years. the desire to prove people wrong isnt there. the desire to prove naysayers wrong doesnt seem to be motivating tiger. and im not sure if it ever did. i think he wanted 19 majors. i think thats all thats driven him since he was a youngster. thats been the motivator.

for whatever reason he hasnt been able to come up with a way to dominate the game like he once did. and i think the scandal didnt help in this matter, and only made things worse.

could tiger rearrange his game and tailor it to his strengths as a veteran and "older" player now and be as dominant and deadly as he was in 2000? sure. but i dont think he will.

i dont think he will win at augusta, nor do i think he will ever win another major
  • Options
    masters week!!! best week of the year!! :mrgreen::mrgreen: