MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

MLB needs to stop letting fans have the only say on starters. This is dumb that a few fan bases stuff the ballot boxes like this. It is becoming worse than the NBA all star starters. Let fan vote count for 50% and let managers or players vote and be worth the other 50%.

1st Goldschmidt
    2nd Murphy (Higher Avg, Homers and RBI over Zobrist)
    SS - Crawford (why, because defense still matters and should be included)
    3rd - Arenado (if he didnt play for a shit team could be MVP)

Rizzo is not only a better hitter than goldie right now, he's a vacuum defensively. Ride the pine goldie.

Crawford? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    You are why people hate Cubs fans, so congrats. Goldie just won the gold glove for 1st baseman, not Rizzo. Crawford just won the gold glove and silver slugger for ss. Arenado has been the best hitter in baseball this season.
    The first two things you mentioned happened in 2015 and have nothing to do with this year. I agree with Arenado.
    I didn't realize people hated Cubs fan so much? God forbid we enjoy a little bit of recent success, have some hope, and love to talk about it. It's not often we have much to gloat about!
    Don't pay him any attention. He's a giants homer as you can tell with his Crawford being an all star starters. Just thinking that makes me laugh at him.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I'd like to see Batista and (H)odor make it and be teammates!
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited June 2016

MLB needs to stop letting fans have the only say on starters. This is dumb that a few fan bases stuff the ballot boxes like this. It is becoming worse than the NBA all star starters. Let fan vote count for 50% and let managers or players vote and be worth the other 50%.

1st Goldschmidt

Rizzo is not only a better hitter than goldie right now, he's a vacuum defensively. Ride the pine goldie.

You are why people hate Cubs fans, so congrats. Goldie just won the gold glove for 1st baseman, not Rizzo. Crawford just won the gold glove and silver slugger for ss. Arenado has been the best hitter in baseball this season.
    The first two things you mentioned happened in 2015 and have nothing to do with this year. I agree with Arenado.
    I didn't realize people hated Cubs fan so much? God forbid we enjoy a little bit of recent success, have some hope, and love to talk about it. It's not often we have much to gloat about!
    People hate Cubs fans for doing shit like trying to screw over the rest of the NL with this ballot stuffing thing. Same thing with KC fans. Good for Cubs fans for being able to pull together to do that but come on. If you want an all star team of Cubs have an Old Timers game where your regulars play your all time greats. Baseball all star games shouldn't be about who has the most unemployed fans that can sit around all day creating new email accounts so they can vote more than the 25 times for the home town players. Plus if you had an all time greats game those retired guys can show off their WS rings to the young guys. Of course you would need to dig up dead guys to find Cubs players with rings. .

DF, trying to call me a homer when you put Rizzo as a better hitter than the guy who finished second in the MVP voting last year is funny as shit. Lamb's numbers are close to Bryant's this season. So by your logic Lamb is nearly as good as Bryant. While the all star game is for this season a hot couple weeks that inflate numbers to start a season has to be weighed by career averages. I don't want this to be a legacy game like the NBA is but putting a bunch of decent players in that game that will see their numbers plummet in the second half when the law of averages creeps up on them is not good either.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,427

1st Goldschmidt

People hate Cubs fans for doing shit like trying to screw over the rest of the NL with this ballot stuffing thing. Same thing with KC fans. Good for Cubs fans for being able to pull together to do that but come on. If you want an all star team of Cubs have an Old Timers game where your regulars play your all time greats. Baseball all star games shouldn't be about who has the most unemployed fans that can sit around all day creating new email accounts so they can vote more than the 25 times for the home town players. Plus if you had an all time greats game those retired guys can show off their WS rings to the young guys. Of course you would need to dig up dead guys to find Cubs players with rings. .
    1) Shall I call the whaambulance? Don't like the ballot stuffing - then stuff your own and get fellow Giants fans to do the same.
    2) That comment is just fucking asinine and uncalled for.
    3) Yeah, until 2010 you had to dig up dead guys - in New York, nonetheless - to find Giants players with rings, too.
    Cubs fans are great. We support our team through thick and thin. Sometimes we get a little drunk and dump a beer on Shane Victorino, but everyone has their bad seeds. What tickles me is all the Cubs haters who just hate the Cubs and want them to lose because, well, because maybe they're unemployed and have nothing better to do. It's understandable if you're a White Sox or Cardinals fan... but for Giants fans to wish ill on a team that isn't even close to being a rival is just weird. And comical.
    There are many Giants alive who have rings before 2010. If Willie Mays doesn't come to your mind right off the bat then I can't help you in a general baseball discussion. I also don't mind almost all oif cubs fans. I go to many Cubs spring training games and have a great time. Cubs fans are great as a whole. Some may be great Cubs fans but are bad baseball fans. I get called a homer for saying Crawford should start the all star game. Only NL shortstop with better offensive numbers is Story, and that is just in homers. Considering Crawford is widely considered a top 3 defensive shortstop in baseball. has the best advanced metrics for shortstops in the NL this season and has the career numbers for the most part to back him up should make him an automatic right now as who should start. So yes, if basic logic makes me a homer then I guess I am. But don't get mad at me for being a homer when half the logic used against me is that Cubs fans are homers.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    cubs are the best team in baseball by a good margin but this is the all star game ... but stuffing ballots is lame ... would be funny if cubs stuff ballot and then lose home field advantage because the best players in the NL didn't actually play the game ...

edited June 2016
    Yeah, I know there are still G-men still living from their World Series days in the 50s. Just pointing out it had been a long time for them, too, until recently. They are actually my favorite NL West team and #2 in the NL. I'm a big Bochy & Buster fan (Go Noles!) There is a valid argument for Crawford as an ASG starter; no denial on my part. I didn't see the part about you being called a homer.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Bryant, Zobrist and Rizzo are all having all star seasons. Russell making the team would be bad.
    This is nothing like last year when KC had Infante, Escobar and Moustakas all getting voted in.

Yeah, I know there are still G-men still living from their World Series days in the 50s. Just pointing out it had been a long time for them, too, until recently. They are actually my favorite NL West team and #2 in the NL. I'm a big Bochy & Buster fan (Go Noles!) There is a valid argument for Crawford as an ASG starter; no denial on my part. I didn't see the part about you being called a homer.

It didn't come from you. It came from another Cubs fan who was mostly who I was talking about. Bad fans that give fans of their team a bad name as a whole. I am hoping for a Cubs vs Giants NL championship. I love Madden as an NL manager and think he and Bochy going toe to toe in a series would be great to see. Only team I hate and wish ill will to is the D*dgers.

I am good with Bryant starting. I think Arenando should but the case could be made his home stadium inflates his numbers and Bryant should start. Rizzo should get in, but Goldie should start. Zobrist should get in, but Murphy should start.

For Giants Posey should get in but Ramos should start. Insane year he is having. Crawford should start, Belt is on the fence as the third 1st baseman to get in. Bumgarner and Cueto both in as well.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

1st Goldschmidt

DF, trying to call me a homer when you put Rizzo as a better hitter than the guy who finished second in the MVP voting last year is funny as shit. Lamb's numbers are close to Bryant's this season. So by your logic Lamb is nearly as good as Bryant. While the all star game is for this season a hot couple weeks that inflate numbers to start a season has to be weighed by career averages. I don't want this to be a legacy game like the NBA is but putting a bunch of decent players in that game that will see their numbers plummet in the second half when the law of averages creeps up on them is not good either.
    Why do you insist on bringing up last year? Look at the numbers. Ok?

If you knew anything, you'd know that cub fans are not "ballot stuffers." Rizzo is a better hitter right now than goldie. And yes, when you put Crawford as the best shortstop in the NL, you lose all of your credibility. Dudes barely hitting .260 with as many homers as jake arrieta. Come on.

1st Goldschmidt

Why do you insist on bringing up last year? Look at the numbers. Ok?

If you knew anything, you'd know that cub fans are not "ballot stuffers." Rizzo is a better hitter right now than goldie. And yes, when you put Crawford as the best shortstop in the NL, you lose all of your credibility. Dudes barely hitting .260 with as many homers as jake arrieta. Come on.
    This season:
    Goldie: .912 OPS
    Rizzo: .910 OPS

Goldie has no one to protect him in the lineup, Rizzo is part of a great offense with Bryant et al you keep quoting. You are taking away your credibility with each post you make trying to prove I am losing mine. Let it go.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited June 2016
    Hahahahabababab. OPS is the only offensive category?

Please tell me why Crawford ahold be an all star starters this year...
    Post edited by Degeneratefk on
    edited June 2016
    Crawford leads all short stops in every major defensive category like runs saved. Baseball is more than who hits the most homers, at least for those of us who still pay attention after the early 2000's. Story is having a better offensive season yes, but when you look at who is having a better year as a whole it is Crawford. For all your speak of Crawford you have yet to offer one actual fact on why Rizzo should get in over Goldie other than the fact you are a Cubs fan and he plays for the Cubs. So please enlighten me on why he deserves to start.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited June 2016
    Freddy Galvis and Azdrubel Cabrera are above Crawford in total defense. Crawford currently ranks 7th in the NL in hitting among ss. Diaz, Villar, Cosart, Seegar, Story, and Cabrera are all ahead of crawford. And when you are talking about all star games, players are selected for their hitting. That's not to say that guys hitting .240 with a great glove can't be selected. But they certainly do not start.

As for rizzo, he is ahead of goldie is doubles, triples, homeruns, rbis, and has struck out 31 times less than goldie. Goldie is beating him in average, SB, and BB. They have each committed only 3 errors.

Need more?
    Goldie has a higher Avg, OBP and Slugging than Rizzo. They each also have 1 triple. Not sure why you think Rizzo has more. So the only thing Rizzo has over him is doubles and homers, yet Goldie still has a better slugging percentage overall. Goldie is having the better year over Rizzo. Rizzo is having a great year but Goldie should start.

I will concede on Crawford despite you thinking I am a homer. I only looked at defensive runs saved which is higly subjective and varies depending on who is doing the math.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

Goldie has a higher Avg, OBP and Slugging than Rizzo. They each also have 1 triple. Not sure why you think Rizzo has more. So the only thing Rizzo has over him is doubles and homers, yet Goldie still has a better slugging percentage overall. Goldie is having the better year over Rizzo. Rizzo is having a great year but Goldie should start.

I will concede on Crawford despite you thinking I am a homer. I only looked at defensive runs saved which is higly subjective and varies depending on who is doing the math.

That is my mistake on the triples, I thought rizzo had 2. I don't even have to look at the actual number to know rizzo is beating him in slugging. He's beating goldie in doubles and homeruns. Top that with rbis and striking out 31 less times and to me, that's hitting better. I will admit, I do not look at sabermetric stats. I think WAR is the most over used stat in baseball.

When you compare these stats, I look at average, homeruns, rbis, doubles, triples, slugging, on base %, BB, and K's. They're both beasts and will both be all Stars for many years to come.

It didn't come from you. It came from another Cubs fan who was mostly who I was talking about. Bad fans that give fans of their team a bad name as a whole. I am hoping for a Cubs vs Giants NL championship. I love Madden as an NL manager and think he and Bochy going toe to toe in a series would be great to see. Only team I hate and wish ill will to is the D*dgers.

I am good with Bryant starting. I think Arenando should but the case could be made his home stadium inflates his numbers and Bryant should start. Rizzo should get in, but Goldie should start. Zobrist should get in, but Murphy should start.

For Giants Posey should get in but Ramos should start. Insane year he is having. Crawford should start, Belt is on the fence as the third 1st baseman to get in. Bumgarner and Cueto both in as well.
    Something I really want to see in this year's All-Star celebration - Arrieta & MadBum in the HR Derby!! Not a special one for pitchers, I want them in THE very derby!
    Agreed with Madbum and Arrieta in homerun derby. Someone mentioned just let them compete in first round if teams are worried about them actually advancing and then taking more hacks after a long break. Give the winner between the 2 a special award as champ of the pitchers and resume the normal event. I don't think either would be ok not moving into the second round should they make it though.

That is my mistake on the triples, I thought rizzo had 2. I don't even have to look at the actual number to know rizzo is beating him in slugging. He's beating goldie in doubles and homeruns. Top that with rbis and striking out 31 less times and to me, that's hitting better. I will admit, I do not look at sabermetric stats. I think WAR is the most over used stat in baseball.

When you compare these stats, I look at average, homeruns, rbis, doubles, triples, slugging, on base %, BB, and K's. They're both beasts and will both be all Stars for many years to come.
    I mis-read on slugging. Rizzo is leading all 1st baseman. RBI's is dumb to look at. If you bat with no one on you will lose in that category making it just as much a team stat than an indicator of individual performance. You can condense slugging, OBP and walks (is part of OBP and Slugging) into OPS since it uses all 3. Goldie has him in OPS. I don't look at WAR either and is why I agreed to concede on Crawford. WAR and defensive tuns saved use a lot of math that even the baseball nerds cannot agree on and thus changes depending on who is doing the math. OPS is a basic stat and is agreed upon as a very good way to look at individual hitters. The two are neck and neck. This to me is when past performance is used as to who wins. Goldie has a second place finish in the MVP and the gold glove from last season. He wins.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Man before 2014 there is no way there would be this much Cubs chatter on the boards or anywhere for that matter, same goes for KC...As a Cards fan it is nice to see Cubs relevant again
    I can't agree with you about RBIs. You can drive in 100 runs and still be on a last place team. RBI is a clutch category. Very important. Strikeouts and walks aren't used much anymore because people just don't care if they strikeout 250 times a year. Which bugs the fuck out of me. People used to get embarrassed if they K'd 100 times a year. Now it's common.

As far as past performance, you can't give the edge for someone this year because of last year. Just silly. Find another tie breaker. I'd rather see you use team record (not because the cubs have the best record in baseball this year) than use something as useless as last year's stats.
    I disagree on team record as a tie breaker. It is an individual thing. Goldie rarely has people up to bat when he comes up as his team sucks royally. If you want to use batting average with men in scoring position I would be ok with that instead of RBI's. Rizzo has him in that category so you can have the RBI's. BTW, guess who is right behind Rizzo, Crawford. We will never agree on this one.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it's simple ... who has a better average with risp?

I disagree on team record as a tie breaker. It is an individual thing. Goldie rarely has people up to bat when he comes up as his team sucks royally. If you want to use batting average with men in scoring position I would be ok with that instead of RBI's. Rizzo has him in that category so you can have the RBI's. BTW, guess who is right behind Rizzo, Crawford. We will never agree on this one.

Lol. I said I don't care what you use as long it has nothing to do with last year.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,710
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,694
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    igotid88 said:
    Wish this applied to Moncada and the Yanks could have a do over...

That is some shady shit.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,409

igotid88 said:

That is some shady shit.
    must be something in the water in Boston that their pro teams like to ignore rules.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,694
    If it wasn't for the Braves somehow owning the Marlins this season so far. Mattingly's Marlins would be in first place.
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,737
    pjhawks said:

igotid88 said:

That is some shady shit.
    must be something in the water in Boston that their pro teams like to ignore rules.

You think this is the first time this has been done?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    cutz said:

pjhawks said:

igotid88 said:

That is some shady shit.

You think this is the first time this has been done?
    Probably not but I follow a lot of baseball and have never heard any thing of the sort. So dirty