MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, that's true. Still though, anyone who wants to go will be able to go,just depend on how much tickets are on the secondary market.

Yeah, it looks pretty cool. Should be a fun weekend in DC. Right now, I obviously have my package at Yankee stadium, am seeing the Giants-Phillies in San Fran (got lucky that that matchup is while I am there), and am definitely planning on finally getting to Citi. So as of right now I have 4 stadiums planned for this year, 3 that I haven't been to.

Yeah, probably not on the Sox. Thats a rough situation.

Nice...definitely want to get to that San Fran stadium at some point. Everyone raves about that one....a friend of mine has been to every MLB stadium and SF was his #1 by far.

I usually get to at least 1 new stadium a year, but since I'm getting married in October I may have to cancel the trip this year. Chisox have a weekend series in LA against the Dodgers...have a friend who lives out there so may try to make that trip since it is pretty rare that they play out there. But, I also don't want to get stabbed at a baseball game. We'll see.

Yeah, I have heard great things, really looking forward to that. That is awesome abotu your buddy. I would love to get to every stadium.

Haha, yeah, man. That would be cool but the woman might not be to thrilled about you getting stabbed before the wedding too.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    The Nationals are launching a campaign to try to keep Phillies fans from taking over the park when they visit DC. I guess expecting to actually field a decent team this year will make this more successful than it would have been in years past.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/03/washi ... -campaign/

that's funny since in years past they have actively recruited us to fill up their empty park during phils/nats series'

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I have heard great things, really looking forward to that. That is awesome abotu your buddy. I would love to get to every stadium.

Haha, yeah, man. That would be cool but the woman might not be to thrilled about you getting stabbed before the wedding too.

Yeah, my buddy is nuts. His Mom worked for United so he was able to fly for free all over the place. He would fly to a random city by himself for a day, see a baseball game, then fly home that night. I've been to right around 15 stadiums so far....hopefully that number keeps going up.

Yeah I'd prob leave out the part about opposing fans getting attacked at Dodger Stadium if I do go....she's already worried enough about the bachelor party in Vegas labor day weekend.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, my buddy is nuts. His Mom worked for United so he was able to fly for free all over the place. He would fly to a random city by himself for a day, see a baseball game, then fly home that night. I've been to right around 15 stadiums so far....hopefully that number keeps going up.

Yeah I'd prob leave out the part about opposing fans getting attacked at Dodger Stadium if I do go....she's already worried enough about the bachelor party in Vegas labor day weekend.

Thats all kinds of awesome. If I had that kind of hookup, I would do that shit every weekend. 15 is a pretty good amount. I would say I have been to 10 or so. Definitely want to keep that climbing though.

haha, yeah, that might be a good idea. I am sure she is. When I get married, I'm pretty certain there is a 50-50 chance I make it through the bachelor party.
  • The Orioles traded Jeremy Guthrie to the Rockies. On one hand, he's probably happy ot go to a team that has at least an outside chance of going to the playoffs within the next few years. On the other hand, he probably wishes he was going someplace where the ball doesn't fly out of the park quite so easily.
  • Apparently, Manny Ramirez is waiting for God to let him know which team he should try to play for this year. The A's, Orioles, and Blue Jays have apparently shown interest but nobody's made an offer yet. I guess God will also let one of those teams know to make an offer when he tells Manny where to play, so it should all work out.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    Chisox have a weekend series in LA against the Dodgers...have a friend who lives out there so may try to make that trip since it is pretty rare that they play out there. But, I also don't want to get stabbed at a baseball game. We'll see.

:lol::lol::lol:

fuck the do*gers
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Apparently, Manny Ramirez is waiting for God to let him know which team he should try to play for this year. The A's, Orioles, and Blue Jays have apparently shown interest but nobody's made an offer yet. I guess God will also let one of those teams know to make an offer when he tells Manny where to play, so it should all work out.

I've lost track....does manny get the lifetime ban on his next failed test? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Nice...definitely want to get to that San Fran stadium at some point. Everyone raves about that one....a friend of mine has been to every MLB stadium and SF was his #1 by far.

excellent stadium....sort of funny how you can have one of the best stadiums in baseball be less than 20 miles from teh worst. what a difference.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • imalive wrote:
    Apparently, Manny Ramirez is waiting for God to let him know which team he should try to play for this year. The A's, Orioles, and Blue Jays have apparently shown interest but nobody's made an offer yet. I guess God will also let one of those teams know to make an offer when he tells Manny where to play, so it should all work out.

I've lost track....does manny get the lifetime ban on his next failed test? :?

Yeah, the 3rd failed test is a lifetime ban. I imagine that would also mean that he wouldn't be allowed on the ballot for the Hall of Fame (not that he's got a chance of getting in at this point anyway). I think he may be subjected to 3 additional tests this year, too, so he could theoretically be tested 6 times this year.
  • George Brett is being sued for false advertising. He and his brother own a company that sells magnetic necklaces that are supposed to relieve pain and have other miraculous effects. Some dummy spent $30 on one and was stunned to learn that it didn't work. The guy's lawyer want to make it a class-action lawsuit (gee, I wonder why).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/b ... =mlb_t2_a3
  • The Orioles signed Nick Johnson. I didn't know he was still playing. I wonder who they'll release to make room for him on the DL.
  • Started prepping my spreadsheets for cost-benefit analysis of my roster. We have 25 man rosters, 8 keepers. It's gotten pretty intense over the years. 12 teams for 4 playoff spots. I missed the playoffs last year by 2 games/points.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Baseball is back. Mariners opened camp today.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    The Orioles signed Nick Johnson. I didn't know he was still playing. I wonder who they'll release to make room for him on the DL.

:lol:
    Cespedes signs with the A's for 4 years $36 mil. That was really quick. Didn't see that coming.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cespedes signs with the A's for 4 years $36 mil. That was really quick. Didn't see that coming.

Yeah, that pretty much came out of nowhere. I assumed the Marlins would match or beat any offer. At $9 million per year they better hope he's an All-Star every year (and not just because the fans vote him in) or they're screwed.
    edited February 2012
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that pretty much came out of nowhere. I assumed the Marlins would match or beat any offer. At $9 million per year they better hope he's an All-Star every year (and not just because the fans vote him in) or they're screwed.

Yeah, definitely big money, although lower than what he was originally asking for, as crazy as that was. I like it for the A's though, I think. I mean they have absolutely no power anywhere in their system, so these are the kind of signings you should take a gamble on. And if he does well, they can move him for prospects, which I am sure will happen if he has value in about 18 months from now. And yeah, I was alsopretty sure the Marlins would end up with him.

Edit: And how long is it going to take him to get up to the big leagues? $9 mil is a lot for a full year in the minors. They must be pretty confident he can adjust to big league off speed stuff pretty quickly.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not sure what the A's are trying to do here after dumping guys like Gio and Bailey to save money.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not sure what the A's are trying to do here after dumping guys like Gio and Bailey to save money.

Billy Beane is one of a kind. I somewhat get it and like it for the A's, but definitely strange.
    For what it's worth

A's director of player personnel Billy Owens told Jim Bowden and Casey Stern on MLB Network Radio that Oakland's scouts have watched Cespedes play for four or five years and consider him a center fielder.

and...

ESPN.com's Keith Law can imagine Cespedes hitting 30 home runs in the Major Leagues, but suggests he'll first need to spend some time in the upper minors.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    For what it's worth

A's director of player personnel Billy Owens told Jim Bowden and Casey Stern on MLB Network Radio that Oakland's scouts have watched Cespedes play for four or five years and consider him a center fielder.

and...

ESPN.com's Keith Law can imagine Cespedes hitting 30 home runs in the Major Leagues, but suggests he'll first need to spend some time in the upper minors.

WOW!! $9 MIL to play in the Minors?

I don't get what the A's are trying to do? DUMPING good YOUNG talent(to save money), and now this? Like a poster above mentioned: maybe use him as trade bait down the road?

Peter Gammons was told by some scouts, that Cespedes has NO CLUE how to hit the breaking pitch. We shall see.

For what it's worth: who thinks he should've been made to go into next year's draft? Same with Darvish, and players like them?
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Edit: And how long is it going to take him to get up to the big leagues? $9 mil is a lot for a full year in the minors. They must be pretty confident he can adjust to big league off speed stuff pretty quickly.

From what I'm reading, some think he'll be their Opening Day centerfielder and others think he could use a month or two in the minors. If he isn't in their lineup every day by the All-Star break, something has gone horribly wrong.
    pjl44 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

From what I'm reading, some think he'll be their Opening Day centerfielder and others think he could use a month or two in the minors. If he isn't in their lineup every day by the All-Star break, something has gone horribly wrong.

Considering he got straight up abused for the couple weeks he play in the Dominican Winter League, I would be a bit suprised to see him make the team out of camp. He has never seen big league off speed stuff. I'd agree on the all star break timing.
    Looks like Soler will be signing with the Cubs.
    the dude can still hit, but I can't get over how unathletic Big Sloppy is. Wish my boy Barry could have DH'ed for another 3-4 years :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

I thought the Yanks had this guy
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

There were reports they were interested. Cubs are going to pay him a lot though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Maybe you're right. Lots of rumors about the yanks today.
  • There are rumors that the Cubs might have to play their 2013 home games at the White Sox stadium due to renovations at Wrigley. If the owners can get funding for the upgrades they'll have them done during the season and play their home games across town. It's not a done deal but stadium employees have told some members of the media tha they were warned to expect more games there in 2013.