MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Dustin Richardson, who pitched for Boston in '09 & '10 but spent last year in the minors, was suspended 50 games for PED use. The odd part? He tested positive for 5 different banned substances. Nobody can accuse him of not giving his best effort, I suppose.

PED's can't help you throw strikes and he could not throw strikes.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    I heard that Jim Leyland said that Brandon Inge "isn't the happiest camper" after the Fielder signing and Cabrera moving to 3rd. I wonder if Brandon Ingre realizes that he's the guy who was sent to AAA last season because he was so inept on offense and finished the year hitting .197 with a .283 SLG, homered once every 89.7 ABs, and struck out once every 3.6 ABs--and his Fielding % dropped 13 points from 2010. Who the hell is he to be unhappy with his role? He's lucky he hasn't been released yet. The fact that he's still in the major leagues or even on a 40-man roster at this point should be reason enough for him to be the happiest guy on the team.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Looks like Jose Bautista will be on the cover of MLB 12 the show in Canada. Seems a bit odd that they've coming out with two different covers. Have to wonder if it's a ploy for Canadian sales or if Rogers somehow got involved and did it for advertisement.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    No name change for the Astros.
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Looks like Jose Bautista will be on the cover of MLB 12 the show in Canada. Seems a bit odd that they've coming out with two different covers. Have to wonder if it's a ploy for Canadian sales or if Rogers somehow got involved and did it for advertisement.

It's probably just to drive up Canadian sales. They don't get too many opportunities to take advantage of having that big of a star play for a Canadian team so they need to milk it while they can.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    yanks hire former cubs gm hendry as a special assistant. the move makes sense bc jim was known to throw money around but not in a good way.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... y?tw_p=twt
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Oswalt seems like a real bitch. You have no leverage when you make it known who you want to pitch for, especially when both teams have full rotations.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Oswalt seems like a real bitch. You have no leverage when you make it known who you want to pitch for, especially when both teams have full rotations.

who is it he wants to pitch for? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Rangers or Cardinals. Neither of them have offered him enough money though. Just seems like a real baby.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Rangers or Cardinals. Neither of them have offered him enough money though. Just seems like a real baby.

sounds like he prefers a redneck fanbase :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • It looks like the Red Sox don't expect to sign Oswalt or Jackson, according to Cherington. He said it's unlikely that they'll add a starting pitcher.

ESPN is reporting that sources tell them it's unlikely that MLB will be able to figure out a way to add the extra Wild Card for the 2012 season by the March 1 deadline. This does not upset me at all.

edit: Oh, and the Mets are bringing back Banner Day for the first time since 1996. The team said that it reserves the right to refuse any "profane or mean-spirited banner." Well, that's going to suck all the fun out of it for Mets fans this year. What kind of happy BS do they think fans will want to write on a banner when it'll take a miracle to not finish in last place?
    Nationals signed Jackson for 1 year. That's a damn good signing. Not a bad rotation they are bulding there.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,928
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Nationals signed Jackson for 1 year. That's a damn good signing. Not a bad rotation they are bulding there.

Wow. That is a quality signing.
    I will say this, though, this trade to St. Louis made Jackson seem better than he is - dude doesn't scare me a little bit. Reminds me of AJ Burnett sorta - dude's either really on or completely off. Joe Blanton hit a home run off of him in the World Series. But still not bad for a 1 year deal.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Absolutely. Can't beat one year deals. I like Jackson more than most too. Gio, Jackson, Zimmerman and Strasburg (in no particular order) is not too bad

I was wondering if you guys were going to get involved once he got to a 1 year deal and work even harder to move Blanton.
    I will say this, though, this trade to St. Louis made Jackson seem better than he is - dude doesn't scare me a little bit. Reminds me of AJ Burnett sorta - dude's either really on or completely off. Joe Blanton hit a home run off of him in the World Series. But still not bad for a 1 year deal.

Yeah, I like him more than most. His stuff can be great, but inconsistent. With him on the Yanks radar this offseason, they all have been comparing him to AJ too. If he can put it together, he can be really good. But yeah, a 1 year deal has zero risk.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Absolutely. Can't beat one year deals. I like Jackson more than most too. Gio, Jackson, Zimmerman and Strasburg (in no particular order) is not too bad

I was wondering if you guys were going to get involved once he got to a 1 year deal and work even harder to move Blanton.

I think I just read that they're still looking to move Blanton come Spring Training time, but who knows.
    I think I just read that they're still looking to move Blanton come Spring Training time, but who knows.

Interesting. Who would take his spot or would that need to be found?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Well the rotation is Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Worley, and then they picked up a lot of dudes on minor league deals. I personally think they are decent names at no-risk for the 5th spot in the rotation - Dave Bush, David Purcey, and Joe Pineiro.

I don't know how much of Blanton's salary they would have to honor, but any salary of his they can clear would be good. As I see it, the 5th spot is the 5th spot and they look to have some depth there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Well the rotation is Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Worley, and then they picked up a lot of dudes on minor league deals. I personally think they are decent names at no-risk for the 5th spot in the rotation - Dave Bush, David Purcey, and Joe Pineiro.

I don't know how much of Blanton's salary they would have to honor, but any salary of his they can clear would be good. As I see it, the 5th spot is the 5th spot and they look to have some depth there.

Completely forgot about Worley. Makes sense. I would imagine they would definitely have to eat some salary considering he was out for most of the year.
  • Jackson for 1-year could be a good signing for the Naitonals. I still find it pretty amusing the it took Boras all winter to get a 1-year deal for a relatively young pitcher coming off a decent year.
    And I just realized something about Jackson signing with the Nats - Jackson will be on his 8th team by the end of the year. Decent signing for Washington pull some prospects at the all star break. Washington might make some noise, but not enough for a playoff push and they'll end up moving him, which is beneficial.
  • Jon Heyman says the Indians will sign Casey Kotchman.
  • igotid88 wrote:

I heard about that on my way to work this morning. Hopefully, he'll be ok and it was just one bad day for him. It can be tough for people with those types of addictions to ever really be 100% ok. You can go years between drinks and then just relapse at the drop of a hat. He had said earlier in the offseason that he doesn't think he needs someone to replace Narron as his "accountability partner" but he clearly does. In hindsight, those comments may have been a red flag. An addict who thinks he's cured may be more likely to think along the lines of, "One drink won't hurt me," despite past experiences that say otherwise.

Also, some woman is accused of stalking and extorting Brian Cashman. He's apparently not the first person to go through this sort of thing with her, either. She sounds like a lovely woman. :roll:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/b ... =mlb_t2_a7
  • The Nationals are launching a campaign to try to keep Phillies fans from taking over the park when they visit DC. I guess expecting to actually field a decent team this year will make this more successful than it would have been in years past.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/03/washi ... -campaign/
    The Nationals are launching a campaign to try to keep Phillies fans from taking over the park when they visit DC. I guess expecting to actually field a decent team this year will make this more successful than it would have been in years past.

Yeah, since there is a little site called StubHub, I would imagine this will ahve about zero impact.

I'm heading down that way for the Yansk series in June. Looking forward to that.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Nationals are launching a campaign to try to keep Phillies fans from taking over the park when they visit DC. I guess expecting to actually field a decent team this year will make this more successful than it would have been in years past.

Yeah, since there is a little site called StubHub, I would imagine this will ahve about zero impact.

I'm heading down that way for the Yansk series in June. Looking forward to that.

Probably depends on how well the Nats are playing at that point.

Nationals Park is pretty cool...enjoy. Still haven't decided on a baseball trip this year....sadly I dont think it will be worth it to travel anywhere to see the ChiSox.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Probably depends on how well the Nats are playing at that point.

Nationals Park is pretty cool...enjoy. Still haven't decided on a baseball trip this year....sadly I dont think it will be worth it to travel anywhere to see the ChiSox.

Yeah, that's true. Still though, anyone who wants to go will be able to go,just depend on how much tickets are on the secondary market.

Yeah, it looks pretty cool. Should be a fun weekend in DC. Right now, I obviously have my package at Yankee stadium, am seeing the Giants-Phillies in San Fran (got lucky that that matchup is while I am there), and am definitely planning on finally getting to Citi. So as of right now I have 4 stadiums planned for this year, 3 that I haven't been to.

Yeah, probably not on the Sox. Thats a rough situation.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, that's true. Still though, anyone who wants to go will be able to go,just depend on how much tickets are on the secondary market.

Yeah, it looks pretty cool. Should be a fun weekend in DC. Right now, I obviously have my package at Yankee stadium, am seeing the Giants-Phillies in San Fran (got lucky that that matchup is while I am there), and am definitely planning on finally getting to Citi. So as of right now I have 4 stadiums planned for this year, 3 that I haven't been to.

Yeah, probably not on the Sox. Thats a rough situation.

Nice...definitely want to get to that San Fran stadium at some point. Everyone raves about that one....a friend of mine has been to every MLB stadium and SF was his #1 by far.

I usually get to at least 1 new stadium a year, but since I'm getting married in October I may have to cancel the trip this year. Chisox have a weekend series in LA against the Dodgers...have a friend who lives out there so may try to make that trip since it is pretty rare that they play out there. But, I also don't want to get stabbed at a baseball game. We'll see.