MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,928
    Why couldn't Manny get any of his suspensions overturned? That's not fair. :lol:

Well, he did, didn't he? Isn't his suspension of 100 games only gonna be 50 now? Or are you being facetious and I'm an idiot?
  • Why couldn't Manny get any of his suspensions overturned? That's not fair. :lol:

Well, he did, didn't he? Isn't his suspension of 100 games only gonna be 50 now? Or are you being facetious and I'm an idiot?
    I'm just kidding. Manny did steroids many many times and deserved to be suspended. I still love him tho.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Good news for Milwaukee. Bad news for the rest of the NL Central.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    Or are you being facetious and I'm an idiot?

yes and possibly ;)

j/k
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    MLB thinking about taking it to federal court. No shot at winning but would be interesting.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    As dumb as it was for the guy to take it home, if the sample was in a tamper proof container, it's a crock of shit for the suspension to be overturned. Not like high concentrations of hgh or steroids could just appear in a sample. If MLB didn't just give him the MVP his suspension wouldn't have been lifted.
    DewieCox wrote:
    As dumb as it was for the guy to take it home, if the sample was in a tamper proof container, it's a crock of shit for the suspension to be overturned. Not like high concentrations of hgh or steroids could just appear in a sample. If MLB didn't just give him the MVP his suspension wouldn't have been lifted.

I read in one place today that the Braun team argued that the high testostorne levels were because of the time it sat, so not necessarily because of a breah of protocol but because sitting impacted the test results.

Victor Conte talked a while back about why he tested positive. It was pretty convincing and damaging for Braun, I think at least. Basically he took a quick 24 hour boost in testostorone, that wont be detected unless you are tested in that time frame but will give you a lot of energy.
    Only Manny. From Brett Anderson on Twitter.

Manny just asked if I was the video coordinator...our relationship can only go up from here.

:lol:
  • I'll be interested to see what the arbitrator writes in his report. I think I saw that he has 30 days to complete his written opinion of the case. I heard a report that Braun's team was supposedly able to prove that the mishandling could have caused a false positive but I haven't seen it anywhere other than from Will Carroll and I don't think he's expanded on that since Tweeting it (can't check Twitter at work except for Twackle and I don't see him as one of the writers available despite it being run by SI and him working for SI) so I don't know if that was just what he assumed after hearing the ruling or if he has a source who told him that was what happened.

I find it odd that a sample was collected after a game on a Saturday when the local FedEx locations were closed (or the guy in charge of the sample thought they were closed) and the CBA requires the sample to be shipped the same day it's collected. Shouldn't it have been collected prior to the game so it could be shipped the same day? I would assume that's what they do during the regular season since most games are at night and it can't be very easy to find an open FedEx shipping location that late.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    pureoc wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    Exactly a disgraceful/embarrassing day for MLB. Thousands of companies across the country administer drug tests everyday, how the fuck can't MLB. With as much money as they have the shouldn't have to send a sample anywhere. The player pees in a cup in the locker room and it's tested right there on the spot, no need to ship sample anywhere. They have enough money to do this, so there is no excuse. Shame on MLB.
    that's bud for ya

More proof of what a shitty Commissioner he is. You can never trust a used car salesman. The image I will always have of him is that nerdy look with his hands up not knowing what to do about the tied allstar game.

i think bud selig oozes confidence.
    www.myspace.com
  • Justin Morneau sounds like he might retire if he can't shake the post-concussion issues he's had.
    "I don't think there will be a career if it's something I'm dealing with (for the long term)," Morneau said Friday before the Twins held their first full-squad workout of spring training. "That's the reality of the whole thing. I'm obviously not going to continue to mess around with this if it continues to be a problem.

"There comes a point where you can only torture yourself for so long. It's something I love to do, but you keep preparing and you keep being left out. That's something that nobody wants to go through."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story ... peful-wary
    I'll be interested to see what the arbitrator writes in his report. I think I saw that he has 30 days to complete his written opinion of the case. I heard a report that Braun's team was supposedly able to prove that the mishandling could have caused a false positive but I haven't seen it anywhere other than from Will Carroll and I don't think he's expanded on that since Tweeting it (can't check Twitter at work except for Twackle and I don't see him as one of the writers available despite it being run by SI and him working for SI) so I don't know if that was just what he assumed after hearing the ruling or if he has a source who told him that was what happened.

I find it odd that a sample was collected after a game on a Saturday when the local FedEx locations were closed (or the guy in charge of the sample thought they were closed) and the CBA requires the sample to be shipped the same day it's collected. Shouldn't it have been collected prior to the game so it could be shipped the same day? I would assume that's what they do during the regular season since most games are at night and it can't be very easy to find an open FedEx shipping location that late.
    Here are some source reports from ESPN:

* 12 Fed Ex locations were open that evening
    * The sample was placed in a Tupperware container and sat on a desk for 2 days
    * Braun offered DNA to confirm the sample was his and MBL denied the request

I think it's iffy that Braun won based on the handling of the sample alone, but he did offer his DNA and MLB declined to agree to a test.
    Jason P wrote:
    I'll be interested to see what the arbitrator writes in his report. I think I saw that he has 30 days to complete his written opinion of the case. I heard a report that Braun's team was supposedly able to prove that the mishandling could have caused a false positive but I haven't seen it anywhere other than from Will Carroll and I don't think he's expanded on that since Tweeting it (can't check Twitter at work except for Twackle and I don't see him as one of the writers available despite it being run by SI and him working for SI) so I don't know if that was just what he assumed after hearing the ruling or if he has a source who told him that was what happened.

I think it's iffy that Braun won based on the handling of the sample alone, but he did offer his DNA and MLB declined to agree to a test.

I think that second bullet is clearly wrong. Everything I have read says it was in a sealed tamper resistent container and in his refrigerator. Not saying you're wrong, just ESPN, which wouldn't be a suprise at all.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I think that second bullet is clearly wrong. Everything I have read says it was in a sealed tamper resistent container and in his refrigerator. Not saying you're wrong, just ESPN, which wouldn't be a suprise at all.
    That's what I thought to. But Lester Munson is reporting that it sat on a desk instead. If true, the guy handling the samples really screwed up and made this easy for Braun's attorneys.

Here is the link: http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/munson-120224/ryan-braun-ruling-raises-embarrassing-questions-mlb-drug-testing
    Jason P wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

That's what I thought to. But Lester Munson is reporting that it sat on a desk instead. If true, the guy handling the samples really screwed up and made this easy for Braun's attorneys.

Here is the link: http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/munson-120224/ryan-braun-ruling-raises-embarrassing-questions-mlb-drug-testing

Wow, that's interesting. This shit is all over the place.
  • I've been reading a bit more about the Braun case. Everything I'd heard about the collection of his sample was that the local FedEx offices were closed so the guy who had it kept it in his fridge until FedEx opened on Monday. Apparently, there were 12 FedEx locations that were opened where the sample could have been taken that day, the guy kept the sample on his desk at home all weekend instead of a refrigerator, and he waited 44 hours to bring it to FedEx which means that he didn't even bring it there until sometime around noon on Monday instead of getting it there as soon as they opened. I don't know if getting it there first thing in the morning would have gotten it on a truck sooner but it all shows a lack of effort on that guy's part. Braun also offered to takea DNA test to see if the urine tested was his at all but MLB declined the offer. All of that combined with MLB leaking the test results to ESPN and Manfred criticizing the ruling yesterday make MLB look horrible for not being able to follow its own protocols and confidentiality guidelines it set up with the union.

Most of the info above comes from here: http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/stor ... ug-testing
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    ESPN is trying to make up for the fact that they and MLB broke the rules in putting the message out before they were supposed to. braun probably used something and got let off on a technicality. at the same time remember previous reports suggested that it was not hgh, steroids, or performance enhancers, but rather a concealer that came from his STD meds. now ESPN is making it seem like this was a testosterone shot, or at least putting that in the conversation. on top of that they are throwing MLB under the bus by saying this is a massive hit to their drug testing program (easily the best in the big 3.5 sports) to exonerate themselves for their lack of journalistic integrity - what an effing joke.
  • You beat me to that article. It all makes MLB look really bad. I can't believe that they not only leaked the test results to ESPN, but that they are stil trying to leak damaging info about Braun now that he won his appeal and are suggesting that they may try to sue to overturn the ruling and get the suspension back in place (which Munso points out would probably be another bad idea on their part). Yeah, Bud's doing a wonderful job as usual.
    Jason P wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

RW81233 wrote:
    ESPN is trying to make up for the fact that they and MLB broke the rules in putting the message out before they were supposed to. braun probably used something and got let off on a technicality. at the same time remember previous reports suggested that it was not hgh, steroids, or performance enhancers, but rather a concealer that came from his STD meds. now ESPN is making it seem like this was a testosterone shot, or at least putting that in the conversation. on top of that they are throwing MLB under the bus by saying this is a massive hit to their drug testing program (easily the best in the big 3.5 sports) to exonerate themselves for their lack of journalistic integrity - what an effing joke.

It was some form of synthetic testostorone. Victor Conte, while not the most credible person in the world but obviously very knowledgable on these types of situations had this to say a while back.

http://deadspin.com/5869473/victor-cont ... c-steroids

I thought it was interesting.
  • Still talking about Braun and the technicality? He's guilty regardless to me.

By the way, Manny hit 7 homers in BP today.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I am skeptical of that article. It will be interesting to see if others get the same info because that is the only place I have seen that and I would be suprised if Munson was the first one to get that info after about 24 hours.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I am skeptical of that article. It will be interesting to see if others get the same info because that is the only place I have seen that and I would be suprised if Munson was the first one to get that info after about 24 hours.

Munson is an attorney, so his sources are probably someone who works for Braun's attorney or someone from the union's attorney's office. I could see where other attorneys would trust him more than a regular sports reporter--especially with the way so many writers jumped on the "Braun is guilty, take away his MVP" bandwagon right from the start. I can't blame anyone from his camp for not wanting to reward a regular writer with first crack at the details.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My Respect for Ryan Braun just grew leaps and bounds, he buried that shit, good for him!
    RW81233 wrote:

I don't see how it shows a lack of journalistic integrity on ESPN's part if it was released by MLB.
    My Respect for Ryan Braun just grew leaps and bounds, he buried that shit, good for him!

Yeah, it's so respectable to get away with cheating.
  • Grady Sizemore is hurt and will miss OPening Day. In other news, people are mammals.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,107
    Still talking about Braun and the technicality? He's guilty regardless to me.

By the way, Manny hit 7 homers in BP today.

If you read Jayson Stark's article, and -gulp- some of the comments (which confirm for me that America is going down the tubes), its clear that there is a LOT of misinformation and misunderstanding going on around this. From everything I've read, what Braun was challenging wasn't really a "technicality," as people are calling it, but rather a crucial aspect of any disciplinary process. In essence, Braun was arguing "if you (MLB) say I failed this test, prove the sample is mine." The arbitrators apparently felt that, because of perceived improprieties in the chain of custody, that MLB couldn't.

So in that sense, he beat the system and the MLB, by virtue of the collective bargaining agreement (which it voluntarily entered into) can't impose the punishment. But it doesn't mean he didn't fail the test, just that the MLB couldn't establish for certain the sample was his (which of course causes me to wonder if there isn't some lab tech out there with not only viles of random people's urine in their fridge, but viles of random people's urine in their fridge, all of whom have an elevated testosterone level in their system 20x higher than normal, but I digress).

Further, aside from the perceived chain of custody issue, there hasn't been any reference to tampering with the sample, a la Kramer and Rudy Giuliani's blood from "The Non-Fat Yogurt" episode of Seinfeld. Braun beat the system, but that doesn't mean he hasn't cheated. In the court of public opinion, he's still a cheater and that probably matters most these days. I for one will have a hard time thinking any different...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
    If it's true he provided a DNA sample and MLB refused to compare it with the sample, he is clean in my eyes. Without question, that would have determined innocence or guilt.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DewieCox wrote:

He didn't, your wrong, get over it.
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Jason P wrote:
    If it's true he provided a DNA sample and MLB refused to compare it with the sample, he is clean in my eyes. Without question, that would have determined innocence or guilt.
    yeah just got to that little buried part of the story...wtf is wrong with MLB? did Braun just flush his whole body of DNA or something?
    DewieCox wrote:

He didn't, your wrong, get over it.

Yeah, he did
    What's my wrong?
    Nothing to get over.