MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• shermsherm Posts: 708
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I can't see him at 3rd long term but maybe the 2 bats make up for the brutal defense at 3rd.

I know. 3rd base has been such a huge hole in their batting lineup though, if he could pull it off they would be so much better.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    Jason P wrote:
    norm wrote:
    well mlb forced the move to the al...as for the rebranding...go old school and go with the colt 45's! :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTx85JId1C5BtZtbZo-nbA1G9yAPF-nbQgCDg2eo75P3emKrjkM
    michael wilbon suggested a paper bag for their new logo :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • sherm wrote:
    I wonder if theyre gonna try Cabrera at 3rd again. That didnt work so well the first time and he was pretty good in the field at first last season. Much improved.

He actually wasn't that bad at 3rd when he first came to Detroit. The bigger reason they made the switch was because how bad Guillen was at 1st. Cabrera is a pretty good athlete, as evidenced by how he has improved defensively at 1st. I think he can play a respectable 3rd base with some work, and by work I mean a diet. If he can drop 25 pounds or so he'll be just fine at 3rd... And the real bright spot in all of this is we can send that loser Inge packing once and for all... Go Tigers!
    East Lansing 98, Detroit 98, Tampa 00, Detroit 00, Buffalo 03, State College 03, Detroit I 03, Detroit II 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids, 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Grand Rapids 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Lollapalooza 07, West Palm Beach 08, Tampa 08, To be continued...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,725
    so phillies/tigers world series this year? :D

Odds are 4-1 for Tigers to win it all, Angels 5-1, Philles 11-2
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    jays sign cordero to 1 year deal ... another solid move by AA ...
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Cabrera said he's moving to 3rd and that he's ok with the move. He said the team asked him about it before the deal was done and he told them he wouldn't be bothered by it so that'll take care of how they handle playing time when Martinez comes back.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cabrera said he's moving to 3rd and that he's ok with the move. He said the team asked him about it before the deal was done and he told them he wouldn't be bothered by it so that'll take care of how they handle playing time when Martinez comes back.

The Tigers infield defense is going to be pretty amusing to watch this year.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

220px-Bad_news_bears_1976_movie_poster.jpg
    if you yell "hey, fatso!" when you walk into the tigers clubhouse, how many guys turn around? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

220px-Bad_news_bears_1976_movie_poster.jpg

Yep, that's about right.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    imalive wrote:
    if you yell "hey, fatso!" when you walk into the tigers clubhouse, how many guys turn around? :?

:lol:
    imalive wrote:

I'm pretty sure Jim Leyland could beat several of his players in a foot race. Hell, Don Zimmer might be able to outrun a few of them.
    sooo ... where is cepedes gonna land?
  • imalive wrote:

I'm pretty sure Jim Leyland could beat several of his players in a foot race. Hell, Don Zimmer might be able to outrun a few of them.
    You can walk around the bases if you want when you hit the ball over the fence...
    East Lansing 98, Detroit 98, Tampa 00, Detroit 00, Buffalo 03, State College 03, Detroit I 03, Detroit II 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids, 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Grand Rapids 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Lollapalooza 07, West Palm Beach 08, Tampa 08, To be continued...
  • shermsherm Posts: 708
    Jack Straw wrote:
    imalive wrote:

You can walk around the bases if you want when you hit the ball over the fence...

So very true
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
    Jack Straw wrote:
    imalive wrote:

you gotta at least slow jog or you'll get your ass drilled in your next AB. ;)

Giants roster (such as it is) is set. Go Giants!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    polaris_x wrote:
    sooo ... where is cepedes gonna land?

I'd guess that Miami gets him because they'll be able to market him much more than any other team so he'll be worth more to them. I don't buy the hype on this guy, though, so I think he'll wind up being a burden on their payroll for most of his contract after the initial media hype dies down. The market for him seems to be built on his WBC performance and his numbers in Cuba's league. Not every pitcher in the WBC was MLB-level talent, though, and there are probably some MLB-level pitchers in Cuba but there are plenty who aren't, too. The sample size against top-level pitchers is too small to justify the talk of $10 million per year for 4-5 years that I've heard. To me, the best deal for any team interested in him would be incentive-laden but I'm not a GM or an agent so what makes sense to me is prbably not going to happen.
    I'd guess that Miami gets him because they'll be able to market him much more than any other team so he'll be worth more to them. I don't buy the hype on this guy, though, so I think he'll wind up being a burden on their payroll for most of his contract after the initial media hype dies down. The market for him seems to be built on his WBC performance and his numbers in Cuba's league. Not every pitcher in the WBC was MLB-level talent, though, and there are probably some MLB-level pitchers in Cuba but there are plenty who aren't, too. The sample size against top-level pitchers is too small to justify the talk of $10 million per year for 4-5 years that I've heard. To me, the best deal for any team interested in him would be incentive-laden but I'm not a GM or an agent so what makes sense to me is prbably not going to happen.

totally agree ... he's gonna get a steady diet of curveballs and change ups ... just wondering which of the big spenders will pony up the cash to see this happen ...
  • imalive wrote:

They will have to take the Brewers reinforced airplane.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    polaris_x wrote:

totally agree ... he's gonna get a steady diet of curveballs and change ups ... just wondering which of the big spenders will pony up the cash to see this happen ...

I think both Chicago teams are interested in him in addition to Miami but I don't think either team would make as much money from the marketing of him as the Marlins will. I heard that the White Sox had some of their Cuban players reach out to him to let him know that they like it there and Cespedes (or maybe his agent) said that the Cubs seemed to be showing the most interest about a week ago, but I think the Marlins will ultimately outbid them. I'd be surprised if either Chicago team outbids Miami given that they both seems to be in rebuilding mode and at 26 (if not older), there's not much time for Cepsedes to adjust to MLB competition before he's at what should be his prime.
    The Twins named Carl Pavano their Opening Day starter. For their sake, I hope he's not the best starter on their staff or it's going to be another bumpy ride this season.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I think the potential for a Triple Crown Winner in the N.L. is higher than it has been in forever.
    Kemp and Votto are the first 2 possibilities that come to my mind.

By the way, Prince Fielder gets a $100,000 bonus if he wins a Gold Glove. They might as well have made it $10,000,000 because that has no chance of happening.
    I think the potential for a Triple Crown Winner in the N.L. is higher than it has been in forever.

By the way, Prince Fielder gets a $100,000 bonus if he wins a Gold Glove. They might as well have made it $10,000,000 because that has no chance of happening.

speaking of Votto, Buster Olney mentioned yesterday that Votto may be baseball's first $300M man when he hits FA.

as far as prince and a gold glove...I've already been surprised by some of the winners. Pujols? really? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

speaking of Votto, Buster Olney mentioned yesterday that Votto may be baseball's first $300M man when he hits FA.

as far as prince and a gold glove...I've already been surprised by some of the winners. Pujols? really? :?

Don't forget Jeter
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Although they managed to stay under the radar all the while, the Los Angeles Dodgers pushed hard for weeks to try to sign Prince Fielder and thought for a while they might have a legitimate shot at their own secret signing. The Dodgers were a surprise entrant in the sweepstakes, making a major push to sign the star slugger with an offer that guaranteed him seven years but provided a sweet four-year opt-out. And for a couple weeks, they looked like a real possibility for Prince.

The Dodgers surely gave a spirited effort to secure Fielder, even flying to meet with him at an undisclosed neutral location a few weeks ago, but somehow managed to keep the entire undertaking under wraps, save for a few internet rumblings from fans speculating that they may have been a mystery team in the mix.

As it turned out, the Dodgers were merely the first mystery team. The second one, the Tigers, jumped in to win Fielder on a $214-million, nine-year deal several days after star hitter Victor Martinez suffered a knee injury that's expected to keep him out for the 2012 season.

The Dodgers' attempt at Fielder, with a high annual salary on the four years Fielder was guaranteed to be a Dodger and the always favorable player opt out, is believed to have put them among the final three teams in on Fielder, who agreed to the Tigers deal on Tuesday that was first reported by CBSSports.com and announced today. The Nationals have said they were in on Fielder until the end, but the Dodgers were at least in the final three. The Dodgers only started to lose hope the final weekend when the Tigers' big bid materialized, people familiar with the negotiations told Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com.

The Dodgers' offer was said to have called for an average salary of about $26 million for the first four years and something in the low $20-million-range in the next three years. The bid was designed not to discourage Fielder from opting out and possibly moving to the American League where he could DH after the first four years. The total Dodgers deal was believed to have been worth in the low $160 millions.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 2/34583652
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Don't forget Jeter

Bobby Abreu. :lol: I had (still have) RF partial season tixx that year. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    norm wrote:
    Although they managed to stay under the radar all the while, the Los Angeles Dodgers pushed hard for weeks to try to sign Prince Fielder and thought for a while they might have a legitimate shot at their own secret signing. The Dodgers were a surprise entrant in the sweepstakes, making a major push to sign the star slugger with an offer that guaranteed him seven years but provided a sweet four-year opt-out. And for a couple weeks, they looked like a real possibility for Prince.

The Dodgers surely gave a spirited effort to secure Fielder, even flying to meet with him at an undisclosed neutral location a few weeks ago, but somehow managed to keep the entire undertaking under wraps, save for a few internet rumblings from fans speculating that they may have been a mystery team in the mix.

As it turned out, the Dodgers were merely the first mystery team. The second one, the Tigers, jumped in to win Fielder on a $214-million, nine-year deal several days after star hitter Victor Martinez suffered a knee injury that's expected to keep him out for the 2012 season.

The Dodgers' attempt at Fielder, with a high annual salary on the four years Fielder was guaranteed to be a Dodger and the always favorable player opt out, is believed to have put them among the final three teams in on Fielder, who agreed to the Tigers deal on Tuesday that was first reported by CBSSports.com and announced today. The Nationals have said they were in on Fielder until the end, but the Dodgers were at least in the final three. The Dodgers only started to lose hope the final weekend when the Tigers' big bid materialized, people familiar with the negotiations told Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com.

The Dodgers' offer was said to have called for an average salary of about $26 million for the first four years and something in the low $20-million-range in the next three years. The bid was designed not to discourage Fielder from opting out and possibly moving to the American League where he could DH after the first four years. The total Dodgers deal was believed to have been worth in the low $160 millions.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 2/34583652

where's the smilie for "WHEW!!!" (wipes sweat from brow)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    where's the smilie for "WHEW!!!" (wipes sweat from brow)

Dustin Richardson, who pitched for Boston in '09 & '10 but spent last year in the minors, was suspended 50 games for PED use. The odd part? He tested positive for 5 different banned substances. Nobody can accuse him of not giving his best effort, I suppose.