there's a reason florida is called america's penis

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/10/7/24747 ... aaaaaaaaah
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I love that man.

For my money washington > guillen

Yeah, man. He's great. I thought that was awesome.

We love him. He's really channeling Jules from Pulp Fiction isn't he?

He may have a few flaws when it comes to in-game decisions but he gets the best out of his players and they have said more than once they are in his corner no matter what.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Hideous. It looks like the cover for "Axis: Bold as Love" was eaten, thrown up, and had some jumping fish and lasers thrown in.

While the fish tank behind the plate may look cool, I can't wait for the first foul ball to hit it and see how many fish die from fear so the idiots running that team have to explain why they thought it was a good idea. Of course, it's the Marlins, so there's a good chance they saved a few bucks by not getting shatterproof glass and the fish will wind up spilling onto the field and flopping around while the bat boys try to scoop them into the teams' Gatorade buckets.
    norm wrote:

• Hideous. It looks like the cover for "Axis: Bold as Love" was eaten, thrown up, and had some jumping fish and lasers thrown in.

While the fish tank behind the plate may look cool, I can't wait for the first foul ball to hit it and see how many fish die from fear so the idiots running that team have to explain why they thought it was a good idea. Of course, it's the Marlins, so there's a good chance they saved a few bucks by not getting shatterproof glass and the fish will wind up spilling onto the field and flopping around while the bat boys try to scoop them into the teams' Gatorade buckets.
    norm wrote:

Fish tank? WTF. Are they going to put goldfish in there? How silly.

norm wrote:

I've never heard that before...I don't like the idea of living on a penis.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    norm wrote:

That is by far the worst thing I have ever seen.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    Hideous. It looks like the cover for "Axis: Bold as Love" was eaten, thrown up, and had some jumping fish and lasers thrown in.

norm wrote:

Fish tank? WTF. Are they going to put goldfish in there? How silly.

norm wrote:

I've never heard that before...I don't like the idea of living on a penis.

At least I don't live on the tip of that penis...the colors and logo is odd looking BUT this organization has won 2 world titles and they can do whatever the hell they want. Many many teams would love to win just one but somewhere down the road they will change back to SOMETHING more traditional.

Www.nesn.com/2011/11/potential-new-miam ... riety.html

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,863
    Hideous. It looks like the cover for "Axis: Bold as Love" was eaten, thrown up, and had some jumping fish and lasers thrown in.
    excellent reference! :thumbup:

the comments are great. my favorite was "I've been to 3 pride parades and this is gayer than anything I ever saw at those"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I wonder if the fish behind home plate will distract pitchers. It's only a matter of time before an opposing team complains about it and MLB makes them remove it or cover it up. If batters whine about a pitcher wearing a shiny chain, I can only imagine what moving tropical fish will do to the pitchers. Also, the space behind home plate is prime advertising space. If they replaced that ad revenue with some stupid fish tanks then they should never complain about not being able to compete financially with other teams again.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I wonder if the fish behind home plate will distract pitchers. It's only a matter of time before an opposing team complains about it and MLB makes them remove it or cover it up. If batters whine about a pitcher wearing a shiny chain, I can only imagine what moving tropical fish will do to the pitchers. Also, the space behind home plate is prime advertising space. If they replaced that ad revenue with some stupid fish tanks then they should never complain about not being able to compete financially with other teams again.

I can't wait to see ozzie guillen swimming in the tank during games
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    jays were 14th, so their 1st rounder isn't protected. even so, in the MLB draft, you can get by without a first round pick and go overslot for guys in later rounds.

ryan howard was never a free agent. the phils signed him to an extension 2 years before they had to. which of course makes the contract even dumber than it looks on the surface.

there are plenty of FAs that have worked out. berkman for STL. beltre for Texas. there are tons of them.

I"m not saying fielder is going to solve all of their weaknesses, but he would be a nice fit in toronto

don't get me wrong ... i'm good with FA signings ... just not the top end so called prized FA's ... i don't think they ever return their value ... especially considering they will want long term deals for big money ...

also ... berkman took a 1 year deal too ... doubt any of the top FA guys will do that ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    jays were 14th, so their 1st rounder isn't protected. even so, in the MLB draft, you can get by without a first round pick and go overslot for guys in later rounds.

ryan howard was never a free agent. the phils signed him to an extension 2 years before they had to. which of course makes the contract even dumber than it looks on the surface.

there are plenty of FAs that have worked out. berkman for STL. beltre for Texas. there are tons of them.

I"m not saying fielder is going to solve all of their weaknesses, but he would be a nice fit in toronto

don't get me wrong ... i'm good with FA signings ... just not the top end so called prized FA's ... i don't think they ever return their value ... especially considering they will want long term deals for big money ...

also ... berkman took a 1 year deal too ... doubt any of the top FA guys will do that ...

I'd go 5-6 years for fielder. anything longer than that I'd pass. He's only 27
  • norm wrote:

When the author of the article writes, "Behold..." I just about crapped my pants. So funny. And I live just north of Miami and hope to attend the first game next season... I'll post pics of this thing when Stanton goes yard.
    Here is Law's take on Cespedes. Doesn't sound like he is MLB-ready

I was asked a few times on Twitter about Yoennis Cespedes, a Cuban outfielder who might become a free agent here in the next few weeks, after he's cleared by the U.S. government and by the commissioner's office. (I received conflicting information over whether the second part has already occurred.) What we do know on Cespedes is that he has plus power (including opposite-field power) and can run, with a 6.5 60-yard dash time in a recent workout, and he's really well put together physically. He's also listed at 26, an age we'll have to take on faith, as Cuban ages are all but impossible to verify, and he's spent his career from age 18 to 25 mashing in a league that's equivalent to low Class A or worse. Leonys Martin hit .311/.492/.491 (BA/OBP/SLG) in his last full year in Cuba, then dropped to .295/.362/.421 between Double-A and Triple-A here, doing most of the damage in the former. Cespedes is bigger than Martin and much stronger, and has a far more conventional swing -- with a wider, more stable base, although he has a busy lower half. However, he is three years older and might, like Martin, have to spend time in the minors adjusting to better pitching than he saw in Cuba.
    polaris_x wrote:

don't get me wrong ... i'm good with FA signings ... just not the top end so called prized FA's ... i don't think they ever return their value
    barry bonds more than returned value in 1993....of course, back then they thought 6 years, $43M was BIG money :eh: actually, all his contracts were money well spent by the giants. the dude could have played a couple more years but just like TO, AI and randy moss, his toxic personality got him in the end.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    barry bonds more than returned value in 1993....of course, back then they thought 6 years, $43M was BIG money :eh: actually, all his contracts were money well spent by the giants. the dude could have played a couple more years but just like TO, AI and randy moss, his toxic personality got him in the end.

honestly ... i know most pro athletes aren't the salt of the earth ... but i couldn't cheer for a team that had that guy on it ... it bugs me that we had clemens on our team for a couple of years ... glad we didn't win anything with that guy around ...
    norm wrote:

see the similarity? :?

marlins-home-run-structure.jpg
    PJRiodeJaneiro2011.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

honestly ... i know most pro athletes aren't the salt of the earth ... but i couldn't cheer for a team that had that guy on it ... it bugs me that we had clemens on our team for a couple of years ... glad we didn't win anything with that guy around ...

I know, I know....but, goddam, he just carried my team for years. and, truly, a lot of the negatives were media driven. not saying he was warm and fuzzy, but the media had an agenda....and when he did get caught for the roids?.....they hammered on it like no other. arod and papi told their phony ass stories (well, I guess papi never even had a story) and went on with their careers :x

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    I know, I know....but, goddam, he just carried my team for years. and, truly, a lot of the negatives were media driven. not saying he was warm and fuzzy, but the media had an agenda....and when he did get caught for the roids?.....they hammered on it like no other. arod and papi told their phony ass stories (well, I guess papi never even had a story) and went on with their careers :x

for sure ... but there are parallels to the penn st. scandal ... at a time when these guys could have done the "right" thing - they didn't ... and obviously, i am by no means saying using roids is the same as molesting children ... simply that, once again when faced with a morality test - all these guys failed ...
  • apparently the Marlins gave Reyes' agent a call the other day. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

Also, the Marlins are interested in Yoenis Cespedes – 6 feet and 215 pounds – played for Cuba in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. He reportedly hit 33 home runs in 90 games during the 2010-11 season, tying the single-season record in Cuba's top league, Serie Nacional.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    apparently the Marlins gave Reyes' agent a call the other day. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

Also, the Marlins are interested in Yoenis Cespedes – 6 feet and 215 pounds – played for Cuba in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. He reportedly hit 33 home runs in 90 games during the 2010-11 season, tying the single-season record in Cuba's top league, Serie Nacional.

I read the Marlins called Reyes one minute after he became a free agent. They are trying to make a splash, have even been connected to the big two.
    apparently the Marlins gave Reyes' agent a call the other day. Will be interesting to see where he lands.

check the previous page out...I posted a scouting report on this dude. cliff posted a scouting video yesterday, that is worth watching.
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

for sure ... but there are parallels to the penn st. scandal ... at a time when these guys could have done the "right" thing - they didn't ... and obviously, i am by no means saying using roids is the same as molesting children ... simply that, once again when faced with a morality test - all these guys failed ...

sorry, but I see ZERO parallels between penn state and steroids :?

being a professional athlete has never been about morality.....it's about getting paid.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,728
    Anyone hear about Wilson Ramos (Washington Nats catcher)? He was kidnapped in Venezuela. Hope everything turns out well.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    imalive wrote:

being a professional athlete has never been about morality.....it's about getting paid.

you missed the point ... it's not about taking steroids ... i actually could care less that any of those guys took steroids at the time ... the rules were vague and there was fame and money to be had ...

the issue i have tho is when it came time to come clean and admit that they took em ... well, that's the morality test they failed ... pretty much all of them lied to protect their ego ... some guys did the no response thing which basically said "yes, i took the drugs but i'm not gonna admit it cuz i don't want to go to jail" ... but bonds - he flat out lied and made up some shitty story ...

that's the parallel i'm talking about ...
  • The Fixer wrote:

check the previous page out...I posted a scouting report on this dude. cliff posted a scouting video yesterday, that is worth watching.

Cool thanks. I didnt know much about what level of skill baseball is in Cuba. Looks like he's got potential, but not ready. Thanks for that report.
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

you missed the point ... it's not about taking steroids ... i actually could care less that any of those guys took steroids at the time ... the rules were vague and there was fame and money to be had ...

the issue i have tho is when it came time to come clean and admit that they took em ... well, that's the morality test they failed ... pretty much all of them lied to protect their ego ... some guys did the no response thing which basically said "yes, i took the drugs but i'm not gonna admit it cuz i don't want to go to jail" ... but bonds - he flat out lied and made up some shitty story ...

that's the parallel i'm talking about ...
    I won't beat a dead horse and I repect your opinion.....but the morality questions between the two things are not even close to being on a par. I guess I can understand the steroids denials but not the inaction at penn state.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    I won't beat a dead horse and I repect your opinion.....but the morality questions between the two things are not even close to being on a par. I guess I can understand the steroids denials but not the inaction at penn state.

perhaps you should reread my original comment on this ... i never said it was being on par ...
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Anyone hear about Wilson Ramos (Washington Nats catcher)? He was kidnapped in Venezuela. Hope everything turns out well.
    Yeah, what a nightmare that story is.
    polaris_x wrote:
    imalive wrote:

perhaps you should reread my original comment on this ... i never said it was being on par ...

this one? :?
    polaris_x wrote:

you're right....they failed a morality test of sorts. I'm just jaded in that whenever ANYBODY gets caught with their hands in the cookie jar.....politicians, CEOs, celebrities, athletes, etc....99% of them lie. it's just a sad commentary on society as a whole :cry: . and the steroids guys probably don't even belong in the discussion because, unlike politicians and CEOs, their lies didn't really harm anyone...unless you count the snivelers who cry "my summer of 1998 was stolen from me!!!" :roll: :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,647
    I miss my 2011 Brew Crew :(
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.