MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    norm wrote:
    good to see toronto going back to it's old logo and uni's

http://www.thesportsbank.net/mlb/toront ... s-in-logo/

i'd much prefer if they went back to their contending ways ...
  • so i see they went ahead and added another wild card for each league, and a 1 game playoff. Can't say i'm a fan of this as baseball is not a 1 game series kind of sport, but I do like the new emphasis on winning divisions. My big problem with this will be if they don't dramatically change the schedule. i've never been a fan of the unbalanced schedule, but now if you are going to have the WC play another WC in a 1 game do or die game, the schedules have to be heavily balanced. Each team should be playing every team the same amount of times. Teams like toronto get screwed playing the AL east Big 3 54 times a year, while teams in the AL west coast with a soft schedule. Also, as someone who has lost all interest in interleague play, i am not happy about there now going to be interleague play every day of the season beginning in 2013. i do think it's funny they had to pay the new astros owner $75 million to agree to do this, and now he'll benefit from having te Yankees & red sox come to Houston and have more sellouts, though it will hurt that they're playing in the AL west and so many games will be starting late. That'll hurt their TV ratings
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    so i see they went ahead and added another wild card for each league, and a 1 game playoff. Can't say i'm a fan of this as baseball is not a 1 game series kind of sport, but I do like the new emphasis on winning divisions. My big problem with this will be if they don't dramatically change the schedule. i've never been a fan of the unbalanced schedule, but now if you are going to have the WC play another WC in a 1 game do or die game, the schedules have to be heavily balanced. Each team should be playing every team the same amount of times. Teams like toronto get screwed playing the AL east Big 3 54 times a year, while teams in the AL west coast with a soft schedule. Also, as someone who has lost all interest in interleague play, i am not happy about there now going to be interleague play every day of the season beginning in 2013. i do think it's funny they had to pay the new astros owner $75 million to agree to do this, and now he'll benefit from having te Yankees & red sox come to Houston and have more sellouts, though it will hurt that they're playing in the AL west and so many games will be starting late. That'll hurt their TV ratings

still won't be fair to teams like seattle, oakland, sf as they will have to travel way more than most teams with a balanced schedule.
    like the doumit signing for minnesota. he will hit as a DH and he can fill in behind the plate when mauer gets his annual injury.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    like the doumit signing for minnesota. he will hit as a DH and he can fill in behind the plate when mauer gets his annual injury.

I like it too. Hopefully Doumit doesn't get his annual injury at the same time as Mauer.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I like it too. Hopefully Doumit doesn't get his annual injury at the same time as Mauer.

haha, true
    This is fucking hilarious

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/y ... price.html

Cespedes may be looking to obtain more than $60MM on an eight-year deal, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro.
  • That's a pretty unrealistic goal. The guy's unproven and his agent thinks he can get 8 years for him? Most established players can't even get 8 years on one deal. There's also the ever-present question with any player defecting from Cuba regarding his stated age and actual age.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cespedes may be looking to obtain more than $60MM on an eight-year deal, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro.
    That's a pretty unrealistic goal. The guy's unproven and his agent thinks he can get 8 years for him? Most established players can't even get 8 years on one deal. There's also the ever-present question with any player defecting from Cuba regarding his stated age and actual age.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just a little. He may want to cut that in half.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    so i see they went ahead and added another wild card for each league, and a 1 game playoff. Can't say i'm a fan of this as baseball is not a 1 game series kind of sport, but I do like the new emphasis on winning divisions. My big problem with this will be if they don't dramatically change the schedule. i've never been a fan of the unbalanced schedule, but now if you are going to have the WC play another WC in a 1 game do or die game, the schedules have to be heavily balanced. Each team should be playing every team the same amount of times. Teams like toronto get screwed playing the AL east Big 3 54 times a year, while teams in the AL west coast with a soft schedule. Also, as someone who has lost all interest in interleague play, i am not happy about there now going to be interleague play every day of the season beginning in 2013. i do think it's funny they had to pay the new astros owner $75 million to agree to do this, and now he'll benefit from having te Yankees & red sox come to Houston and have more sellouts, though it will hurt that they're playing in the AL west and so many games will be starting late. That'll hurt their TV ratings

i think interleague play sucks to begin with. it was cool about 15 years ago when it was a novelty. playing it all season long is an awful idea to me...especially with the dh still just being in the al.

i think you and i have gone back and forth on this subject (at least i think it was you). i hate the dh and the fact that it exists in one league and not the other is the most idiotic things in all of sports. both leagues need to be on a level playing field, especially with all of these changes coming down the pipe. players union will never agree to getting rid of it, so i think it is inevitable that it will eventually be in both leagues sooner than later now. that will be a sad for purists like myself. bud selig can go f himself.

unsure how i feel about the new wild card idea. i think it will be pretty cool to have basically two game 7's to start the playoffs. and i do like the greater emphasis on winning your division. on the other hand, it just seems wrong to not have a series determine the winner in this sport.

will take some getting used to i guess...
    www.myspace.com
    Also sounds like they are getting rid of a team not being able to play a team in the same division in the first round.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Also sounds like they are getting rid of a team not being able to play a team in the same division in the first round.

Love that. Enhances rivalries
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Love that. Enhances rivalries

Definitely, Yankees-Boston will get a lot more heated again if they are playing each other in the playoffs more often rather than just the ALCS
    HGH blood testing in the new CBA.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Definitely excited about this. It'll be interesting to see if Bautista was using or not.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,862
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Definitely excited about this. It'll be interesting to see if Bautista was using or not.
    him and a bunch of other guys. they won't get caught, but they may stop.

bautista's not necessarily a guy I suspect.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    him and a bunch of other guys. they won't get caught, but they may stop.

bautista's not necessarily a guy I suspect.
    Me neither, but people have been using the lack of HGH testing to discredit his numbers. Until there's a positive test, I'll believe he's innocent. However, if a test does come back positive, then I'll be the first one to blame him and his contract for that $2.00 paper invoice fee on my cell bill.
    Hgh has nothing to do with bautista. Hgh won't do that for you. No shot
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Hgh has nothing to do with bautista. Hgh won't do that for you. No shot

yeah, for real.

glad they are first league to test for this. mlb has come a long way since the juice era. gotta give selig credit

the nfl will continue to ignore this shit I'm sure. that league gets away with murder (literally)
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i love everything bud did with this lastest CBA. call me crazy but i love interleague play everyday.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    i love everything bud did with this lastest CBA. call me crazy but i love interleague play everyday.

you, sir, are crazy. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    metsfan wrote:

I love the fact there will be interleague everyday too!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,862
    The Fixer wrote:
    gotta give selig credit
    no, we don't ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    metsfan wrote:

you, sir, are crazy. :mrgreen:

Agreed. And they had a real opportunity with the draft, but fucked it up again, further ensuring top talent goes to the NFL and (whatever's left of) the NBA.
    pureoc wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

The one part of this I am confused about. Is there going to be the same number of interleague games for each team but just spread out, or are there going to be a lot more interleague games, meaning less divisonal games?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

The one part of this I am confused about. Is there going to be the same number of interleague games for each team but just spread out, or are there going to be a lot more interleague games, meaning less divisonal games?

as much as i hate it, shouldn't they have addressed the dh issue (put it in the....ugh....nl) before doing this? gotta think it's an unfair advantage for an al team in the hunt late in september playing a road series in an nl park and not being able to use their dh.
    www.myspace.com
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Yeah if they are going to have season long interleague play they need to either have the DH in both leagues or do away with it.

I am actually happy with the Astros move to the AL. I've never like the fact that the Rangers' rivals were all 1500 miles away with no regional association at all. I was hoping for maybe the As to move to San Antonio one day but this will do instead.

I also like the emphasis on winning your division. You don't want to be one of those wild card teams.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    as much as i hate it, shouldn't they have addressed the dh issue (put it in the....ugh....nl) before doing this? gotta think it's an unfair advantage for an al team in the hunt late in september playing a road series in an nl park and not being able to use their dh.

Agreed. My best guess is that you have 5 more years of the DH if they are expanding interleague. Probably too big of a hurdle to get done in this CBA.
    Sounds like the A's are starting to get busy. Talking Gio and Bailey right now, it sounds like.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    who's gonna win mvp?