MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    economy is in the crapper but thank god congress is dealing with hgh in baseball

fucktards
    Don't forget the tobacco.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,863
    norm wrote:
    $1.5 Billion

:shock:
    if the philanderer garvey is part of the winning bid, it will be very easy for me to continue to hate :x
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    $1.5 Billion

if the philanderer garvey is part of the winning bid, it will be very easy for me to continue to hate :x

yeah i'm a little iffy about garvey...but after the last 2 owners i'm gonna be skeptical of any new owner...i guess i have dodger owner trust issues :? :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    $1.5 Billion

yeah i'm a little iffy about garvey...but after the last 2 owners i'm gonna be skeptical of any new owner...i guess i have dodger owner trust issues :? :lol::lol:
    cindy garvey had the same issues ;)

1122_memba_steve_garvey_launch-1.jpg

how "80s" is that? :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    could tito end up st louis?
    www.myspace.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I hear it could be the Cubs.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    Newch91 wrote:
    I hear it could be the Cubs.

just saw on espn news he's on both teams short list.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I love that man.

For my money washington > guillen
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I love that man.

For my money washington > guillen

Yeah, man. He's great. I thought that was awesome.
    Haven't watched this but it sounds pretty insane. I know nothing about this guy.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/ ... idiculous/
    Sanchez traded to the Royals for Melky
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

what you think of the yanks going after both wilson and oswalt?
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

what you think of the yanks going after both wilson and oswalt?

I don't think they are going after either aggressively. Just due dillegence for now, I am sure. Am sure they will talk to the agent of just about every free agent they have the mildest interest in. That said, I don't really want either unless the price is right.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I don't think they are going after either aggressively. Just due dillegence for now, I am sure. Am sure they will talk to the agent of just about every free agent they have the mildest interest in. That said, I don't really want either unless the price is right.

i am really hoping the usual suspects overpay for the top tier free agents out there ... then when the dust settles ... we pick up solid players for good salaries ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i am really hoping the usual suspects overpay for the top tier free agents out there ... then when the dust settles ... we pick up solid players for good salaries ...

problem is that this year's FA class doesn't have many good players.

The Jays should sign Fielder
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Was just going to say the same. There aren't many diamonds in the rough this year. Bedard maybe? Ouch.
    cliffy - thoughts on melky cabrera :? ? he's a giant, now.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

I don't think melky is anything special, but he's gotta be an upgrade over torres/rowand. plus they got rid of sanchez, who sucks.

I like the trade for SF
    imalive wrote:

Great guy, loves playing baseball and has a great time playing which makes him fun to watch. Very likeable but not all that good. Had some big hits for the Yankees and plays hard. Just not all that great. Don't think you can expect to see the same numbers he put up this year, but if he can put up number similar to 2009 you have a decent player. He was a fan favorite though and I'll always cheer for him.
    The Fixer wrote:

i don't think we should sign any of the big guys out there ... between salary and draft picks - it's hard to get the ROI on guys like that ... if i think that one player would get us into the playoffs - maybe ... but the jays can't afford to spend big money on long term deals as our fanbase is really fairweather ... they'll come out if the team is winning but won't if things are rough (unlike phils, red sox and yanks) ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I don't think melky is anything special, but he's gotta be an upgrade over torres/rowand. plus they got rid of sanchez, who sucks.

I like the trade for SF
    glad the fixer signs off on this :mrgreen:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Very likeable but not all that good.
    wonderful :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Very likeable but not all that good.
    wonderful :lol:

I mean, he's not terrible but he's not great. Your not getting an all star but you aren't getting a bad player.
  • I'd say that SF got the better end of the deal. Sanchez has a losing career record and only 1 season with an ERA under 4.00 despite pitching in the NL. His 2010 season was very good but he didn't do much last year. Melky, on the other hand, had the best season of his career and hit .305 with 201 hits and 18 HRs. He's only 27, so he could have a few more years like that in him. I know Sanchez is only 28 and he can strike guys out but he can also be a little wild and it seems like pitchers going from the NL to the AL haven't done so well recently. Some of the AL Central parks are on the spacious side, so maybe he'll benefit from that and he's probably going to be an upgrade over what they had in their rotation before but I still think Melky is the better player in this deal.
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i don't think we should sign any of the big guys out there ... between salary and draft picks - it's hard to get the ROI on guys like that ... if i think that one player would get us into the playoffs - maybe ... but the jays can't afford to spend big money on long term deals as our fanbase is really fairweather ... they'll come out if the team is winning but won't if things are rough (unlike phils, red sox and yanks) ...

I disagree. Weren't the Jays in the bottom 15 of MLB this year? that means their first round pick is protected and they only sacrifice a 2nd rounder. that's a small price to pay for a guy just entering his prime years.

the jays aren't that far away from contention. they need pitching obviously, but I think signing fielder makes them a more attractive option for FA pitchers going forward. plus, they could dump adam lind, who just isn't good

regardless of whether or not they sign fielder, they will be a fun team to watch over the next year or so. definitely trending up since AA took over
    I'd say that SF got the better end of the deal. Sanchez has a losing career record and only 1 season with an ERA under 4.00 despite pitching in the NL. His 2010 season was very good but he didn't do much last year. Melky, on the other hand, had the best season of his career and hit .305 with 201 hits and 18 HRs. He's only 27, so he could have a few more years like that in him. I know Sanchez is only 28 and he can strike guys out but he can also be a little wild and it seems like pitchers going from the NL to the AL haven't done so well recently. Some of the AL Central parks are on the spacious side, so maybe he'll benefit from that and he's probably going to be an upgrade over what they had in their rotation before but I still think Melky is the better player in this deal.

sanchez is a LH AJ Burnett.

Advantage SF
    The Fixer wrote:
    I disagree. Weren't the Jays in the bottom 15 of MLB this year? that means their first round pick is protected and they only sacrifice a 2nd rounder. that's a small price to pay for a guy just entering his prime years.

the jays aren't that far away from contention. they need pitching obviously, but I think signing fielder makes them a more attractive option for FA pitchers going forward. plus, they could dump adam lind, who just isn't good

regardless of whether or not they sign fielder, they will be a fun team to watch over the next year or so. definitely trending up since AA took over

not sure ... we finished .500 ... if i had to guess - that would be in the top 15 of the league ...

either way tho - in a world where there are very little sure things ... fielder is not a sure thing to get us into the playoffs ... especially in the AL East where Boston and Yanks are gonna reload and tampa is gonna be solid for some time ...

these top tier free agents rarely ever payoff ... especially if they start to go downhill ... it just becomes a big elephant in the room (you should know ... see ryan howard) ... and i'm not trying to say they are comparable players but ultimately these discussions boil down to value ... you'd love ryan howard at $5 million a year ... i just don't see these guys ever justifying their salary in their performances ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

not sure ... we finished .500 ... if i had to guess - that would be in the top 15 of the league ...

either way tho - in a world where there are very little sure things ... fielder is not a sure thing to get us into the playoffs ... especially in the AL East where Boston and Yanks are gonna reload and tampa is gonna be solid for some time ...

these top tier free agents rarely ever payoff ... especially if they start to go downhill ... it just becomes a big elephant in the room (you should know ... see ryan howard) ... and i'm not trying to say they are comparable players but ultimately these discussions boil down to value ... you'd love ryan howard at $5 million a year ... i just don't see these guys ever justifying their salary in their performances ...

jays were 14th, so their 1st rounder isn't protected. even so, in the MLB draft, you can get by without a first round pick and go overslot for guys in later rounds.

ryan howard was never a free agent. the phils signed him to an extension 2 years before they had to. which of course makes the contract even dumber than it looks on the surface.

there are plenty of FAs that have worked out. berkman for STL. beltre for Texas. there are tons of them.

I"m not saying fielder is going to solve all of their weaknesses, but he would be a nice fit in toronto
    I'd say that SF got the better end of the deal. Sanchez has a losing career record and only 1 season with an ERA under 4.00 despite pitching in the NL. His 2010 season was very good but he didn't do much last year. Melky, on the other hand, had the best season of his career and hit .305 with 201 hits and 18 HRs. He's only 27, so he could have a few more years like that in him. I know Sanchez is only 28 and he can strike guys out but he can also be a little wild and it seems like pitchers going from the NL to the AL haven't done so well recently. Some of the AL Central parks are on the spacious side, so maybe he'll benefit from that and he's probably going to be an upgrade over what they had in their rotation before but I still think Melky is the better player in this deal.
    sanchez may flourish in KC but, if so, I'm not going to wring my hands. in my mind, he may do well in the no pressure atmosphere of meaningless games in KC, but his head wasn't wired for the 40,000 crowds in SF. armando benitez was the perfect example of a guy who couldn't handle pressure. he was great, closing in front of 1000 people in south florida. :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16